Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master won't power on - (temporary) solution

Haven't had the issue for around 2+ months now, not sure if something has changed in software/hardware but it looks good!

How about you guys? have you had any recent cold boot issues?

Same here. No further cold boot issue since October 27th. I did buy new certified Display Port cables but other than that I've not changed the BIOS or any settings. Maybe it's the cables, or maybe there was some sort of Windows shutdown issue that has subsequently been patched? I've got a Asus Dark Hero on order and I'm in two minds what to do as everything has been running great for a couple of months now.

Same here. No further cold boot issue since October 27th. I did buy new certified Display Port cables but other than that I've not changed the BIOS or any settings. Maybe it's the cables, or maybe there was some sort of Windows shutdown issue that has subsequently been patched? I've got a Asus Dark Hero on order and I'm in two minds what to do as everything has been running great for a couple of months now.
I really don’t think this ever had anything to do with DP cables.

I’m still using the exact same ones I’ve always had, and we are creeping up on 11 months since the last time I saw this issue now.

Haven't had the issue for around 2+ months now, not sure if something has changed in software/hardware but it looks good!

November 6th was the last time for me, so also +2 months. No issues since I installed the F31j bios, and subsequently F31.

I should also note that I've taken up the habit of turning off the power supply via the switch at the back whenever I turn off my computer. Not sure if that does anything, but who knows ...

+1. No issues for more than 2 months (before I was swtitching power cable from the wall and it was 100% working workaround, now it seems not needed). Working mainly on F31 beta bioses, F31q now. Erp and "Power Loading" Enabled.
This is very odd :)

BTW I am not using DP cable at all, so I am pretty sure DP is (at least not always) the problem.

I've read complaints about the dark hero choking on memory speeds that the Master handles with ease. I'd cancel my order if I was you.

+1. No issues for more than 2 months (before I was swtitching power cable from the wall and it was 100% working workaround, now it seems not needed). Working mainly on F31 beta bioses, F31q now. Erp and "Power Loading" Enabled.
This is very odd :)

BTW I am not using DP cable at all, so I am pretty sure DP is (at least not always) the problem.
+1 again. Last time was 9th of November 2020 so 2 months for me too. I worked also on de F31 beta bioses... still on 31q... also ERP and Power Loading enabled.

+1 again. Last time was 9th of November 2020 so 2 months for me too. I worked also on de F31 beta bioses... still on 31q... also ERP and Power Loading enabled.
November 11th for me. I updated to the F31 bios and also have ERP and Power Loading enabled. Fingers crossed!

I'm going to throw in another random thought. The timing of my cold boot issues coincides roughly with when I got my new case and installed RGBFusion. I've seen another thread where they reckon RGBFusion writes stuff incorrectly and breaks your drives (happened to me several times!) Since I've set up my RGBs I don't run Fusion anymore. Could it be Fusion writing duff info to the mobo? Maybe not, but be aware of the (potential) broken drive partition issue if you are using it.

Sata drives being wiped

Last edited:
I'm going to throw in another random thought. The timing of my cold boot issues coincides roughly with when I got my new case and installed RGBFusion. I've seen another thread where they reckon RGBFusion writes stuff incorrectly and breaks your drives (happened to me several times!) Since I've set up my RGBs I don't run Fusion anymore. Could it be Fusion writing duff info to the mobo? Maybe not, but be aware of the (potential) issue if you are using it.

Sata drives being wiped
Probably not. I haven't touched RGBFusion, and there are Linux users in this thread who are reporting the same issue so I think we can rule out anything on the OS/software side.

Hello,

the last time the board did not power on was on Oct 10th. It's working now over three months without issues. I never changed the cables.

On Oct 10th, i disabled Power Loading again, because it did not prevent the board from playing dead. ERP is still enabled. I also switched back to the default dual bios. The one thing which is new since the last "no power" bug is, i disabled the on-board RGB-LEDs. And i updated to F30.

Hmm, i wonder if i should risk it and enable the windows hybrid-sleep mode again... I have a 10 year old Phenom II machine runing Windows 7, last time freshly installed somewhere in 2012 when it got a SSD... and this machine boots much much faster than the "new" one with the X570 Aorus Master with Win 10 on a PCI-E 3.0 NVME SSD. That is kind of funny.

The day before you asked, if I'm not mistaken, monday 11/1, and breaking with the two-month interval: hardly more than a month. We could use an electonics ace to tell us the difference between a BIOS reset and battery removal.

so I've been home the last couple month, and decided to narrow down the issues of the board (sudden reboots/cold boot etc), and research settings/tweak related stuff, especially since i had to build/rebuild a few rigs (3xxx + x570) in the past 2 month
5 different x570 boards from 3 different brands, similar spread for ram and psu.

please make sure that any guide/tips etc are up to date, if seen a "definite guide to.." from 2017 that was recommending the wrong things, just because stuff has changed, bios got better, win got updates etc, and the OP didnt care to update it.

couple of things posted by some, will not make any difference (most bios settings, but might actually be counter productive, like keeping a manual handbrake engaged all the time, so the car doesnt roll back when you stop at a hill once a month)..
anyone please don't take it the wrong way if i post info that differs,but ive literally spend days sitting in front of the moni testing/trying stuff, and to keep this "short" as well.

-regarding msi boards, only the cheapest x570 board isnt coming with the "best" vrm design,
but anyone buying a sub 160$ board to run a +500$ oced 12/16 core, deserves it to blow up in their face.
asus isnt the best with the ram i tested it, and i didn't like the bios (vs older amd/intel).

-the days that required certain bios settings are over, win is aware of zen2 stuff,
so leave whatever stuff is set when loading defaults, especially power loading and ccp related stuff.
if you use pbo and/or ram above 2133, you might need different settings than what comes below.

i do say use manufacturer tweaks (e.g optimized vs auto, for power related stuff),
TURN OFF ANY SPREAD SPEC related setting, use q&c, for Gb boards leave csm enabled.

regarding psu:
i stressed a psu known to be transient sensitive (650w evga G+/1) with a 3700 (pbo enabed) and an oced 2080S, and nothing triggered a (Transient load) warning (2 leds on gpu pcb) or caused a reboot, even when continuously running 550-600w (UPS load) playing fps in 4k.
yet sitting idle at desktop with office or browser open (handful of tabs, if) triggered a reboot, reproducible on a different 750w unit thats not sensitive to load changes.

-all my "sudden" reboots on no/low load where caused by ram just barely being stable, and the board fluctuating too much on dram volt.
-anyone running 1t, dont. without spending days to dial in other timings/voltage, not one rig i checked was stable with it on.
dont use memtest86 or similar,as they don't pickup "ocing" related errors, just if hw is broken.
dont consider your ram to be stable if running above jedec (2133/1.2v), no matter if its xmp or amp and qvl, unless its passing TM5 (use anta777 profile), and HCI (run multiple in parallel to fill ram) stable, and should pass 6h of high load like prime or heavy gaming to see if its unstable with higher temps.
usually turning off gear and power down, switching bgs to disabled and alt bgs to enabled, helps with ram tweaking.

- all my cold boots were bios related.
part caused by using qflash (instead of efi flash under dos) leaving data behind corrupting firmware.
after efi flashing update (which had other issues), and using efiflash to clear cmos and go back to previous one (which had been updated using only qflash) i noticed additional entries i did not have before (usb/TB related).
so using qflash to update bios (single and dual chip) was giving me cold boots, when the same update using efi flash (and /C), did not.
make sure to use /C (to clear cmos data) and /DB (for dual bios boards) with efiflash.

-unless you have a 5600 or 5800,, dont update to the latest (f30/31 for the ultra), as amd does not recommend it and can have negative impact for zen2 chips, of course nvm if you already did/F22 is causing issues etc?

and last: if it wont power on, DONT try the battery stuff right away!
unplug psu without flipping psu switch, press/hold power button (case) for 10-30s, switch the psu off,
plug cord back in and wait 5s, flip psu switch and wait 5s before trying boot again.

getting ram stable fixed my reboots, proper flashing of bios fixed the cold boots, and since then it turned on every time, so there might be a "connection", as only the versions that had cold boots (after unplugging from outlet) also produced no-power-on situations.

Last edited:
so I've been home the last couple month, and decided to narrow down the issues of the board (sudden reboots/cold boot etc), and research settings/tweak related stuff, especially since i had to build/rebuild a few rigs (3xxx + x570) in the past 2 month
5 different x570 boards from 3 different brands, similar spread for ram and psu.

please make sure that any guide/tips etc are up to date, if seen a "definite guide to.." from 2017 that was recommending the wrong things, just because stuff has changed, bios got better, win got updates etc, and the OP didnt care to update it.

couple of things posted by some, will not make any difference (most bios settings, but might actually be counter productive, like keeping a manual handbrake engaged all the time, so the car doesnt roll back when you stop at a hill once a month)..
anyone please don't take it the wrong way if i post info that differs,but ive literally spend days sitting in front of the moni testing/trying stuff, and to keep this "short" as well.

-regarding msi boards, only the cheapest x570 board isnt coming with the "best" vrm design,
but anyone buying a sub 160$ board to run a +500$ oced 12/16 core, deserves it to blow up in their face.
asus isnt the best with the ram i tested it, and i didn't like the bios (vs older amd/intel).

-the days that required certain bios settings are over, win is aware of zen2 stuff,
so leave whatever stuff is set when loading defaults, especially power loading and ccp related stuff.
if you use pbo and/or ram above 2133, you might need different settings than what comes below.

i do say use manufacturer tweaks (e.g optimized vs auto, for power related stuff),
TURN OFF ANY SPREAD SPEC related setting, use q&c, for Gb boards leave csm enabled.

regarding psu:
i stressed a psu known to be transient sensitive (650w evga G+/1) with a 3700 (pbo enabed) and an oced 2080S, and nothing triggered a (Transient load) warning (2 leds on gpu pcb) or caused a reboot, even when continuously running 550-600w (UPS load) playing fps in 4k.
yet sitting idle at desktop with office or browser open (handful of tabs, if) triggered a reboot, reproducible on a different 750w unit thats not sensitive to load changes.

-all my "sudden" reboots on no/low load where caused by ram just barely being stable, and the board fluctuating too much on dram volt.
-anyone running 1t, dont. without spending days to dial in other timings/voltage, not one rig i checked was stable with it on.
dont use memtest86 or similar,as they don't pickup "ocing" related errors, just if hw is broken.
dont consider your ram to be stable if running above jedec (2133/1.2v), no matter if its xmp or amp and qvl, unless its passing TM5 (use anta777 profile), and HCI (run multiple in parallel to fill ram) stable, and should pass 6h of high load like prime or heavy gaming to see if its unstable with higher temps.
usually turning off gear and power down, switching bgs to disabled and alt bgs to enabled, helps with ram tweaking.

part caused by using qflash (instead of efi flash under dos) leaving data behind corrupting firmware.
after efi flashing update (which had other issues), and using efiflash to clear cmos and go back to previous one (which had been updated using only qflash) i noticed additional entries i did not have before (usb/TB related).
so using qflash to update bios (single and dual chip) was giving me cold boots, when the same update using efi flash (and /C), did not.
make sure to use /C (to clear cmos data) and /DB (for dual bios boards) with efiflash.

-unless you have a 5600 or 5800,, dont update to the latest (f30/31 for the ultra), as amd does not recommend it and can have negative impact for zen2 chips, of course nvm if you already did/F22 is causing issues etc?

and last: if it wont power on, DONT try the battery stuff right away!
unplug psu without flipping psu switch, press/hold power button (case) for 10-30s, switch the psu off,
plug cord back in and wait 5s, flip psu switch and wait 5s before trying boot again.

getting ram stable fixed my reboots, proper flashing of bios fixed the cold boots, and since then it turned on every time, so there might be a "connection", as only the versions that had cold boots (after unplugging from outlet) also produced no-power-on situations.

Not sure why you're posting all this here. It has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

I'm going to throw in another random thought. The timing of my cold boot issues coincides roughly with when I got my new case and installed RGBFusion. I've seen another thread where they reckon RGBFusion writes stuff incorrectly and breaks your drives (happened to me several times!) Since I've set up my RGBs I don't run Fusion anymore. Could it be Fusion writing duff info to the mobo? Maybe not, but be aware of the (potential) broken drive partition issue if you are using it.

Sata drives being wiped
onebitrobot
I presume your new case has acrylic/glass side panels in contrast to your old all-metal case?

except that i had the problem of non power on (and issues found on other) on my ultra, and i was able to fix it, not sure how thats not relevant.
and lots of issues are not limit to the master and exist across their amd lineup, as well as some info posted by others HERE, is either incorrect/outdated, so i posted a anything that might help.
just because i will never buy a Gb board again, doesnt fix the problems some have right now, and i would still prefer to get the board to work (properly) instead of having to rip out my loop (etc) just to be able to replace the board.

(tip on the side, maybe leave it to OP/mods/admins what is or isnt OT)

Last edited:

I think the above note is interesting and most relevant.
Maybe of help and something to try for anybody still having cold boot trouble.

Do you have a particular boot disk you used to run the efi-flash?

Also a link to the efi-flash you used would be helpful.

except that i had the problem of non power on (and issues found on other) on my ultra, and i was able to fix it, not sure how thats not relevant.
and lots of issues are not limit to the master and exist across their amd lineup, as well as some info posted by others HERE, is either incorrect/outdated, so i posted a anything that might help.
just because i will never buy a Gb board again, doesnt fix the problems some have right now, and i would still prefer to get the board to work (properly) instead of having to rip out my loop (etc) just to be able to replace the board.

(tip on the side, maybe leave it to OP/mods/admins what is or isnt OT)
Since your cold boot problem has been solved less than two months ago, you may still be in for a surprise.

Last night, on January 24th, it happened again. The same old story, after shut down the onboard power button stayed lit and the board does not power on after pressing it. It's dead again. It happened with the F30 BIOS. I still haven't enabled the Windows hybrid-sleep mode.

I will pop out the battery this evening and i think i try the new F33a with AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.0. These BIOS updates and AGESA-Versions are a mystery to me, i don't know what exactly they change or fix, especially in terms of our no-power issue and if the new versions matter at all with my 3600X or only with the new Zen 3 CPUs. The only thing i encountered was a fix with the RAM and XMP-profile, which was unstable at the beginning and was fixed with F11 or so. But, besides this, i don't overclock, so i have no further clue.

However, i have read something interesting on the fly, that the new AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.0 contains optimizations for voltage control, especially for the Low-Dropout-Regulator. Although i don't know if this could help with or fix the no-power bug, i will give it a try.

Just had this happen on my Aorus Xtreme TRX40. Exact same story as the OP: shut down the machine safely, then everything was completely dead when I went to reboot it. Not even the LED that lights up the CMOS reset button would light.

It was a non-minor surgery to remove the covers and covers-covering-covers in order to gain access to the CMOS battery. Removed it, said a few expletives directed at Gigashyte, put it back in, put all 23 screws back in place, put the board back into the case, and boom - everything is back to normal. Special thanks to Nobu for directing me to this thread with the fix.

Just had this happen on my Aorus Xtreme TRX40. Exact same story as the OP: shut down the machine safely, then everything was completely dead when I went to reboot it. Not even the LED that lights up the CMOS reset button would light.

It was a non-minor surgery to remove the covers and covers-covering-covers in order to gain access to the CMOS battery. Removed it, said a few expletives directed at Gigashyte, put it back in, put all 23 screws back in place, put the board back into the case, and boom - everything is back to normal. Special thanks to Nobu for directing me to this thread with the fix.
Welcome to the club! Hope you enjoy your stay here! lol. Seriously though, glad you found us and it helped you.

Gigabyte strikes again... :(

Make sure you sign the petition :)

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master power-on problem (avaaz.org)

Last night, on January 24th, it happened again. The same old story, after shut down the onboard power button stayed lit and the board does not power on after pressing it. It's dead again. It happened with the F30 BIOS. I still haven't enabled the Windows hybrid-sleep mode.

I will pop out the battery this evening and i think i try the new F33a with AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.0. These BIOS updates and AGESA-Versions are a mystery to me, i don't know what exactly they change or fix, especially in terms of our no-power issue and if the new versions matter at all with my 3600X or only with the new Zen 3 CPUs. The only thing i encountered was a fix with the RAM and XMP-profile, which was unstable at the beginning and was fixed with F11 or so. But, besides this, i don't overclock, so i have no further clue.

However, i have read something interesting on the fly, that the new AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.0 contains optimizations for voltage control, especially for the Low-Dropout-Regulator. Although i don't know if this could help with or fix the no-power bug, i will give it a try.
So far, so good. The new BIOS F33a with AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.0 seems actually really promising, at least for me! A quick update, perhaps a little bit offtopic:

It seems the PC performs now even better than before. I did some cinebench r20 runs with the ryzen high performance profile. Completely stock BIOS settings, RAM is at 3200.
IMG_20210126_194521.jpg

The multi core score of 3543 must have been with F20 or around this time and the room temperature could have been 3 or 4 degrees higher than now with the score of 3702. The single core score is pretty much the same, it raised from 501 to 506.

But there is more. Previous i had issues with low or light and inconsistent load scenarios like they happen in (especially older) games. These issues seem now fixed out of the box with default BIOS settings and default power plans. So, for all of you who had similar issues with light and inconsistent load scenarios, the boost behavior in this cases and tried to handle this with customized power plans or adjusting BIOS settings/voltages, with AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.0 this issue has probably addressed and solved.

Hi everyone,

After being away for a couple of months, I unfortunately have to report another case on my end. Again the usual procedure: remove videocard, detach the CMOS battery - wait for 10-15mins, reattach all and power on halleluja.

FYI; I'm on the F30 BIOS (both (dual) bioses have the same F30 verions), have certified DP cables attached (for those who think this can still be an issue...), have (wall) unplugged the power outlet each time between evening and morning - which apparently didn't matter...

Now going to the released F33a BIOS update, hope that fixes it for the time being/or hopefully forever. Still w-t-f case imo...

Hi everyone,

After being away for a couple of months, I unfortunately have to report another case on my end. Again the usual procedure: remove videocard, detach the CMOS battery - wait for 10-15mins, reattach all and power on halleluja.

FYI; I'm on the F30 BIOS (both (dual) bioses have the same F30 verions), have certified DP cables attached (for those who think this can still be an issue...), have (wall) unplugged the power outlet each time between evening and morning - which apparently didn't matter...

Now going to the released F33a BIOS update, hope that fixes it for the time being/or hopefully forever. Still w-t-f case imo...

Sorry to hear that, that's unfortunate. Do you have ErP and Power Loading enabled?

Hi everyone,

F33a installed. Now occasionally no keyboard and mouse after starting up. 😡😡Luckily after hard restart they are connecting 😓

Heads up on my situation

Reset and removing battery worked for my X570 Aorus Pro Wifi

My X570 Aorus Master had a new power supply fitted ( Gigabyte Aorus 850W Gold )

I returned my Phanteks power supply to PCCG but when they tested they found no faults and returned it

So my shop was wrong but I never bothered taking up the issue with them too much stress

So since late 2020 both motherboards have not failed to boot ....so far ... ( touch wood )

F33a installed. Now occasionally no keyboard and mouse after starting up. 😡😡Luckily after hard restart they are connecting 😓
Back on F31. This one was stable For me without any issues. Hopefully I have my keyboard and mouse at first startup again. I don’t know what the improvements are on F32 en F33a.

Back on F31. This one was stable For me without any issues. Hopefully I have my keyboard and mouse at first startup again. I don’t know what the improvements are on F32 en F33a.
I had this issue too after flashing to F33a. My mouse was working fine, but although it was lit, my keyboard did not recognize keystrokes and i could not log in. But this was an one time event.

I had this issue too after flashing to F33a. My mouse was working fine, but although it was lit, my keyboard did not recognize keystrokes and i could not log in. But this was an one time event.
Been using F33a since it came out and no issues to report here.

I also have the usb m&kb issue on the new beta bios on the x570 Elite. I had this issue on a previous bios, it effects only the usb2.0 ports. Either doesn't register keystrokes or has really bad latency. Using the usb3.0 ports fixes the problem, but I rolled back to the latest stable bios till they fix this problem again.

Still haven't had the dreaded power on issue on the Elite. Keeping my fingers crossed.

It has been a while until my last boot issue (i guess since november 2020). But today i couldn start my pc in the morning. So I did the trick with removing the cmos battery and after that all was working again.

Today i update my bios to 33a. I hope this fix it at long last.

Back