Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master won't power on - (temporary) solution

I just went through my system not powering on. 100% dead no power leds nothing. Power button on the case or board = nothing... I swapped power supplies Ram CPUs... then thought why not try powering off and pulling cmos battery... then try reseting bios... nothing

Try resetting bios and pulling cmos... bingo it verks!

Its only happened once to me so should I consider myself lucky?

I just went through my system not powering on. 100% dead no power leds nothing. Power button on the case or board = nothing... I swapped power supplies Ram CPUs... then thought why not try powering off and pulling cmos battery... then try reseting bios... nothing

Try resetting bios and pulling cmos... bingo it verks!

Its only happened once to me so should I consider myself lucky?
Just be prepared that it will more than likely happen again.

So I just stumbled on the XMP theory from an old 2015 post, someone was stuck in Gen 2 PCI-E as well.

I don't have XMP profiles, but managed to get my Z97 running without boot problems in Gen 3 PCI-E by simply overclocking memory speed to 2133 and upping voltage to 1.56v.

So I just stumbled on the XMP theory from an old 2015 post, someone was stuck in Gen 2 PCI-E as well.

I don't have XMP profiles, but managed to get my Z97 running without boot problems in Gen 3 PCI-E by simply overclocking memory speed to 2133 and upping voltage to 1.56v.
Totally unrelated ....

Another update. Swapping my PSU revived my rig, by that I mean that, so far, everything is functional and I can reboot/shutdown the PC and it will boot again. The weird thing is, the PSU of my rig actually works, every tests on it shows that it is functional and also if I can get it to boot my rig, there's no problem, it just seems that now, most of the time, it can't provide enough power on reboots or start ups for the CPU to load up.... My PSU is EVGA Supernova P2 850W so its fine since I have like 12 years warranty on it, so I'll just send it for RMA. My PSU from my 2nd rig (the one that works with the X570) is Corsair AX850 (Gold). Now my concern is, did the MOBO actually end up permanently damaging the PSU? Or my PSU died on its own and slowly caused the problem? My problems began when I did the BIOS update to F11 (like most ppl on this thread I think). So my question now is, do I just keep my current MOBO and use my other PSU while I send my main PSU for RMA or should I just change the MOBO since it might be at fault here and might also slowly kill the AX850?
Interesting - that's exactly the same PSU I have.

I also have a EVGA Supernova gold 850w, don't think that's what it caused the issue twice, but just to mention it here.

For me I had it happen on a Corsair 860w and it happened again on the new asus 850w I (needlessly) replaced it with when this issue first showed up. Doesn’t seem to be tied to a specific psu type.

One possible explanation that I don't remember being explored: has anyone confirmed that this isn't just a case of the dual BIOS motherboards unexpectedly switching to the second BIOS and not booting because of that?

Some reasons as to why it might not boot on a second BIOS:
- BIOS version too old (doesn't support the CPU?)
- different memory settings

Another curiosity I have (because I'm returning the B550 Auros Pro AC and got a MSI B550 Gaming Carbon instead I'm not directly impacted anymore) is if the q-flash process is still functional when your motherboard gets into that state and if it helps?

One possible explanation that I don't remember being explored: has anyone confirmed that this isn't just a case of the dual BIOS motherboards unexpectedly switching to the second BIOS and not booting because of that?

Another curiosity I have (because I'm returning the B550 Auros Pro AC and got a MSI B550 Gaming Carbon instead I'm not directly impacted anymore) is if the q-flash process is still functional when your motherboard gets into that state and if it helps?
No, when it fails to boot, the motherboard acts like it's dead. There are no lights, fans don't spin, clearing cmos doesn't help. I had the same issue on an x370 with a gen1 ryzen, so incompatible bios was not a possibility in my case.

Reactions: Azrak
like this

Except in order for the system to figure out that the BIOS is too old for the CPU or the memory settings are different/wrong, the system would need to turn on. The system isn't powering on is the problem, so it's deeper down than the BIOS. The problem lies at a more basic level than the BIOS. It's a problem in the circuitry/firmware that controls the power button and power control for the MB when on standby power. It's corrupting itself to the point that a CMOS battery removal is required to reset things, until next time.

Except in order for the system to figure out that the BIOS is too old for the CPU or the memory settings are different/wrong, the system would need to turn on. The system isn't powering on is the problem, so it's deeper down than the BIOS. The problem lies at a more basic level than the BIOS. It's a problem in the circuitry/firmware that controls the power button and power control for the MB when on standby power. It's corrupting itself to the point that a CMOS battery removal is required to reset things, until next time.
It's a bit more complicated than that in my experience. Well before I stopped having problems last Jan.

1. Where randomly it doesn't post, it acts like it's dead
2. Where all the sudden it goes through a memory timing reboot for ever, then on the next reboot it acts like it's dead
3. Where it goes to old bios, then goes through a memory timing reboot, then it's dead
4. Where it fails to shut down in some random way (power, etc) and then acts like it's dead

It's a bit more complicated than that in my experience. Well before I stopped having problems last Jan.

1. Where randomly it doesn't post, it acts like it's dead
2. Where all the sudden it goes through a memory timing reboot for ever, then on the next reboot it acts like it's dead
3. Where it goes to old bios, then goes through a memory timing reboot, then it's dead
4. Where it fails to shut down in some random way (power, etc) and then acts like it's dead
Can confirm, similar with my x370. Once I got my memory dialed in I didn't have too many issues, but it did still recurr. I lamented the lack of a physical switch and the forced use of a soft bios fallback for this reason (troubleshooting, in general) and others. GB felt the need to cut it from their gaming k5 board (5, 7, and k7 had it though, iirc). Had to abuse the power/reset buttons and cmos jumper if I wanted it to switch. A pain in the ass.

Just wanted to chime in: For some reason, I was having the issue pretty frequently from July to August. For some reason. I don't have the issue anymore, I hypothesized that it may have something to do with leaving my external USB-C SSD plugged in. It might be just a coincidence. I also try to keep everything up to date (OS, drivers, Bios, etc.). There's hope. Maybe.

Haven't had the issue since the beginning of November, I'm sure it will come back when least expected but at the moment I can enjoy the rig without any hassle

Anyone had a thought on what to replace the Aorus with at a similar price/perf point? The Dark Hero seems way overpriced to me for less features so not really interested. buildzoid seems to recommend MSI Meg Unify in his latest AM4 roundup (he also thinks it has the best bios), but its lacking the # of USB ports and thermistors which I really like on the Master. There doesn't seem a great option without having to sacrifice something.

FYI, there is a new BIOS update on Gigabyte's website. One of the things it addresses is system stability. Perhaps this is the fix we are all waiting for? I downloaded it and updated. We shall see!

FYI, there is a new BIOS update on Gigabyte's website. One of the things it addresses is system stability. Perhaps this is the fix we are all waiting for? I downloaded it and updated. We shall see!
I am still on F31l, my system is stable but the bios isn’t, yesterday out of the blue the bios has reset itself to default.....

I am still on F31l, my system is stable but the bios isn’t, yesterday out of the blue the bios has reset itself to default.....
same here. ive got problems even with updating via Bios, to be honest: with restarting after update. restart took hours, seriosly. update under bios from usb works better (to f31q), but i test it only once, so it doesnt prove anything.

I doubt it. This is a hardware issue. Since it doesn't effect all boards there is a defect somewhere causing this. Might of just been a bad batch?

Another soul glad that could find this thread!

I just finished the ordeal of building everything back together after putting it apart, checking PSU voltages and what not... until I was pointed to the CMOS battery as a possible culprit (I know, it is not the battery itself... I also checked it and it was fully loaded...)

My MOBO is an X570 Aorus pro rev 1.0 (no wifi). I had the exact same symptoms most people are reporting: after 18 months of perfect performance, no system changes and without a previous sign... PC wouldnt boot. After closer examination, mobo does not seem to be getting power at all... you know the rest of the story, as a last resource I took the CMOS battery out for about 5 min and, voilà, the system started booting again. It has been working again normally since yesterday.

I really do not think that the problem is only related to the Master, but I have signed the petition anyway...

Is there a possibility to do a wiki with the info of this thread as a first comment in the thread? I think it would be of great help for new comers.

My system specs are:

Ryzen 5 3600
X570 Aorus Pro rev 1.0
2x16 GB Ram Crucial ballistic xsport
RTX 2060 6 GB MSI Ventus
Cooler Master H500M (case)
Asus rog PG279Q (monitor)

Anyway, I hope it takes another 18 months...

Update for all - I've still only seen this issue twice - Waaay back in February 2020 and then again about a month later. Since then I haven't seen the issue again - the only things I'm aware of changing since then is disabling Windows sleep, and I remember I actually went back to my SoundBlaster ZxR soundcard instead of using onboard/a USB powered headset. Still so far so good, and I never even updated BIOS to act as a bit of a control as many of you updated.

I've finally made some system changes to report - crossing fingers for continued luck.

Ryzen 3900x => Ryzen 5900x
EVGA FTW3 1080ti => ASUS TUF 3080
Updated BIOS from F11 to F31Q to support the Ryzen 5900X

Everything else is constant

32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 c16 (Samsung B-die) running at 3600 c16 at 1.39v
Creative SoundBlaster ZxR sound
Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB NVMe
Samsung 860 Evo 2TB SSD
Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD
ASUS Thor 850W PSU
Corsair H115i Pro AIO cooler
ASUS ROG PG279 Monitor with the same DisplayPort cable it came with

Another soul glad that could find this thread!

I just finished the ordeal of building everything back together after putting it apart, checking PSU voltages and what not... until I was pointed to the CMOS battery as a possible culprit (I know, it is not the battery itself... I also checked it and it was fully loaded...)

My MOBO is an X570 Aorus pro rev 1.0 (no wifi). I had the exact same symptoms most people are reporting: after 18 months of perfect performance, no system changes and without a previous sign... PC wouldnt boot. After closer examination, mobo does not seem to be getting power at all... you know the rest of the story, as a last resource I took the CMOS battery out for about 5 min and, voilà, the system started booting again. It has been working again normally since yesterday.

I really do not think that the problem is only related to the Master, but I have signed the petition anyway...

Is there a possibility to do a wiki with the info of this thread as a first comment in the thread? I think it would be of great help for new comers.

My system specs are:

Ryzen 5 3600
X570 Aorus Pro rev 1.0
2x16 GB Ram Crucial ballistic xsport
RTX 2060 6 GB MSI Ventus
Cooler Master H500M (case)
Asus rog PG279Q (monitor)

Anyway, I hope it takes another 18 months...
It is not just with the master other AMD gigabyte boards had the issue pop up. It is just far more common with the master. Which leads me to believe some part they sourced for the board must of been a defective batch.

I've been lurking this thread for a number of months now. Built my PC end of May and dealt with this issue nearly every week for a month to six weeks. When I stopped making any changes to the BIOS (besides system time) I then ran without a hitch for months. Until this morning when it reared its head once more. So after the joys of draining my watercooled system (yeah, it sucks) to access the hard to reach CMOS battery, I decided I'd post here.

Like I said, changing nothing (seemed to have) helped. Default memory profile which annoys me the most because of my RAM I paid a little extra for. I've also stayed on bios version F11, and my lurking was to see if future releases helped. They haven't clearly. And I went so far as to not touching the Gigabyte software and leaving the gross RGB Rainbow pattern on my RAM play out despite wanting to desperately turn it off.

What I find interesting is that my system clock was incorrect, but not significantly so. In the previous few hours before shutdown, I did nothing with the PC, deciding instead to watch Naked Gun (because who doesn't need a bit of Leslie Neilson humour in this crazy year). When I booted up my PC after removing the CMOS battery, it said the time was ~2215rs 29 December when Windows loaded. I'm trying to remember if I shutdown my PC around that time, or if it were just after 11PM when the movie finished. But it was a small observation that only came about because I didn't think to reset CMOS when placing battery back into its holder, or going straight to BIOS when booting. The reason for that is simply because I forgot to plug the display port cable back in, so Windows was up and the time was wrong.

I don't know if that helps in any way. But if System Time is tied to the CMOS battery from memory, then I wonder if there is a fault around its holder, or the circuitry leading out of the battery. But then how to explain why removal and placing it back fixes the issue immediately?

Also, I know this doesn't help, but I've decided sometimes after May 2021 when I clean out the waterblocks etc, I'm ditching this motherboard and going back to Asus. I decided to try Gigabyte because the Master had everything I wanted and was a bit cheaper. Absolutely not worth it. Gigabyte support have been next to useless, this thread alone saved me from a lot of headaches and hassle. Thank you cold_steel.

No problems yet with a x570 elite. Latest bios. I've seen people report this problem with many x570 & b550 gigabyte boards, but have yet to find anyone having this problem with the elite specifically. I did have that io bug with laggy mouse/keyboard when plugged in to usb2.0 ports, but it seems to have been fixed in the newest bios.

Same issue with a x570 Aorus Master. Also, my B550 Aorus Pro is experiencing another weird power related issue. If I apply load (gpu / cpu) and then shut off normally through Windows and then turn the PC on 5 secs later, POST fails with CPU / DRAM lights going back and forth. If no load is apply to the PSU and I power off and power on, no POST issues. Regular windows restarts have zero issues. Now, I am not sure id this is a PSU or mobo issue but having power related issues with my X570 is not giving me a lot of trust in the mobo. This issue in particular is not well known because most people do not power off and power on after big loads.

Same issue with a x570 Aorus Master. Also, my B550 Aorus Pro is experiencing another weird power related issue. If I apply load (gpu / cpu) and then shut off normally through Windows and then turn the PC on 5 secs later, POST fails with CPU / DRAM lights going back and forth. If no load is apply to the PSU and I power off and power on, no POST issues. Regular windows restarts have zero issues. Now, I am not sure id this is a PSU or mobo issue but having power related issues with my X570 is not giving me a lot of trust in the mobo. This issue in particular is not well known because most people do not power off and power on after big loads.
My B550 Aorus Pro(v1) is working perfectly, BIOS is F10.

Checking in as promised! Happy New Year to everyone in this thread! My last post was a couple of months back and I said I'd check in at the end of the year if I remained free of the psuedo-dead mboard syndrome and any cold boot problems--and I have been free of all such problems since my last post--whenever that was! Huzzah! So, I'm reporting in as promised. No more problems since I replaced my DP 1.4 cable with a Vesa-certified 8k cable, so I cannot really say whether a bios version fixed everything or whether my replacement DP cable fixed it, or some combination thereof. (The details are in my previous posts in this thread.) But, this will be my last post in this thread...unless I experience such problems again at some future date. In that case I will return and post about it. But so far, so good!

Here's my hardware list:

Windows10x64 v2400, build 20270.1000 (beta)
Latest Adrenalins--20.12.1
AMD 50th Anniversary 5700XT running at PCIe4
Aorus Master x570 (rev 1.0) UEFI bios F31
Corsair HX-850 PSU (72a x1 12v rail)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
RAM 32GB 4x8GB, Patriot Viper Elite @ XMP 3733Mhz
LG MultiDrive DVD writer
Boot: Samsung 980 Pro 500GB running @ PCIe4
Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 250GB
2x 1TB WD Blue 7200 rpm S3
ST2000DM S3 2TB
ST4000DM004 S3 4TB
BenQ EW-3270U 4k, HDR10 monitor

F31 was just released on 12/31/2020, and can be found here atm:
https://www.tweaktownforum.com/foru...dors/gigabyte/28656-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios

Still very happy with my x570 Aorus Master! Hope everyone can solve whatever is ailing their boards!

Last edited:
Looks like F31 is officially released now:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-11-12/support#support-dl-bios

gigabyte.png

I reserved a discounted x570 master last night that should be the newest revision (and should also be unopened) but I think this thread along with other posts, videos, etc have scared me away from trying it. I also have an x570 Aorus ITX board that has been in my girlfriends SFF machine for a few weeks which I'll be returning due to this. I hadn't seen many reports of issues with the itx version until I read this thread and the last thing I want to do is have to troubleshoot her setup (especially with such limited space) randomly when she just wants to hop into a game. My Aorus B550i has been solid for a few months now. Real bummer as I've gotten used to the Gigabyte bios layout and have gotten some of the best performance I've seen in the B550/X570 boards with these three Gigabyte models.

I reserved a discounted x570 master last night that should be the newest revision (and should also be unopened) but I think this thread along with other posts, videos, etc have scared me away from trying it. I also have an x570 Aorus ITX board that has been in my girlfriends SFF machine for a few weeks which I'll be returning due to this. I hadn't seen many reports of issues with the itx version until I read this thread and the last thing I want to do is have to troubleshoot her setup (especially with such limited space) randomly when she just wants to hop into a game. My Aorus B550i has been solid for a few months now. Real bummer as I've gotten used to the Gigabyte bios layout and have gotten some of the best performance I've seen in the B550/X570 boards with these three Gigabyte models.
To be clear, this thread is mainly for the Aorus X570 Master ATX board.

some people have the issue, some don’t. Some of us that have had this issue with the ATX board in the past multiple times, have now not seen the issue recur for the past 11 months (this is my case.)

very oddball and difficult to replicate problem.

Back