Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master won't power on - (temporary) solution

I should have done more research before buying and assembling my latest rig on the X570 Aorus Master...

I personally have not run into this issue but my build is really new (Last Sunday). Should I just take an L and rebuild the system, return the board while it's still within the return period?

I should have done more research before buying and assembling my latest rig on the X570 Aorus Master...

I personally have not run into this issue but my build is really new (Last Sunday). Should I just take an L and rebuild the system, return the board while it's still within the return period?
I won't presume to advise you, that is your decision but I think I would. If you look at Newegg reviews you will see a lot of reviews that seem to align with this issue. It is definitely not something I want to deal with and because of that I have eliminated Aorus from consideration. Again only my opinion, but for 5000 series processors, the only boards I would personally use are 2nd generation boards. With the issues that MSI is having with RAM, for me it leaves 2 clear choices -the TUF X570 PRO and the Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, both from ASUS.

I won't presume to advise you, that is your decision but I think I would. If you look at Newegg reviews you will see a lot of reviews that seem to align with this issue. It is definitely not something I want to deal with and because of that I have eliminated Aorus from consideration. Again only my opinion, but for 5000 series processors, the only boards I would personally use are 2nd generation boards. With the issues that MSI is having with RAM, for me it leaves 2 clear choices -the TUF X570 PRO and the Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, both from ASUS.
Makes sense. I wonder if the X570 Aorus Master issue is with their v1.0 board or also their 1.1 and 1.2? Assuming they updated something in between the different versions.

I have this board brand new sitting on my desk in box. Ordered it last week in case alI boards disappeared on Zen3 release. Built my Z390 on the Aorus Master and it was flawless.
Haven't built this one out yet since I haven't received my CPU, but based on this thread I'm ready to pack it up, send it back and wait out the Dark Hero.
At this price tier... seems ridiculous.

Alderon87: Thanks for the recommendations.

I'm currently waiting to see what Gigabyte have to say about mine....I don't want to shell out all that money again for another mobo and have to rebuild my pc but I don't want to have to fix this problem every few weeks for the entire lifespan of my pc either...especially given that it's my work PC and I need to be able to rely on it.

For the new buyers above. I don't know how common this problem is but I will say that I wish I could have known that it wasn't a one off occurrence when it first happened after 4 weeks - I could have sent it back for a refund then...now it is outside Amazon's return period, though I might try contacting them about it anyway.

Found someone at random with the same issue on the Master today. Linked this thread somewhere and he responded that he had this issue and also traded the board in for an X570 Tomahawk.

I have this board brand new sitting on my desk in box. Ordered it last week in case alI boards disappeared on Zen3 release. Built my Z390 on the Aorus Master and it was flawless.
Haven't built this one out yet since I haven't received my CPU, but based on this thread I'm ready to pack it up, send it back and wait out the Dark Hero.
At this price tier... seems ridiculous.
Yah, I have to gut my entire system to make this happen. I am also eyeing the Dark Hero. Supposedly it is releasing this week but I have no idea when exactly...

Anything wrong with the ROG Strix X570-E? That's the one I've been eyeing.

Yah, I have to gut my entire system to make this happen. I am also eyeing the Dark Hero. Supposedly it is releasing this week but I have no idea when exactly...

$400 though, and I'm not really seeing any must-have features to justify it.

Oh, is it $400? For some reason I thought it was going to be $300.

I was actually looking at the X570-E. It was back ordered when I was looking so I could not pull the trigger then.

I asked the seller (who is being extremely helpful on the matter) actually how many of these get returned and here is their reply.

Good morning,

Unfortunately we do not have a number on how many were returned but it is hard to say as these are popular boards and with more that go out, more do come back as it goes hand in hand.

It happened again today for me. First time it has happened so close together. The ONLY thing that happened last night was I updated Windows 10 to the 2020-11 monthly update. I don't think it's related, but that is literally the last thing I did. I updated, restarted and made sure everything was working and then I shut down.

It happened again today for me. First time it has happened so close together. The ONLY thing that happened last night was I updated Windows 10 to the 2020-11 monthly update. I don't think it's related, but that is literally the last thing I did. I updated, restarted and made sure everything was working and then I shut down.

Are you able to tell if the problem happens at the moment of shutdown, or does it happen later when you attempt to power up again?
I know the symptoms include something about buttons on the IO panel being lit or not lit.

Can you shutdown and then have the problem immediately, or do you have to let the system sit powered off for a while?

If there is any way to make the problem appear predictably, that would help narrow it down.

Things I would try if you haven't yet:

Turn off all power save/sleep settings.

Enable ERP.

Enable power on after power failure.

Turn off Fastboot.

Are you able to tell if the problem happens at the moment of shutdown, or does it happen later when you attempt to power up again?
I know the symptoms include something about buttons on the IO panel being lit or not lit.

Can you shutdown and then have the problem immediately, or do you have to let the system sit powered off for a while?

If there is any way to make the problem appear predictably, that would help narrow it down.

Things I would try if you haven't yet:

Turn off all power save/sleep settings.

Enable ERP.

Enable power on after power failure.

Turn off Fastboot.

The issue happens at shutdown ready for when you start the computer back up.

You will know that the issue has occurred when the on board power button is not illuminated like normal.

If somebody has this board with a chronic problem and you have electronics experience.....

Try disconnecting pin 9 (5vSB) on the ATX connector and run the system without 5v standby.
I would pull the wire out of the connector and tape it off.

After this mod, note that the LEDs/buttons on the IO panel should not stay lit after shutdown, and you will not
have the power up on keyboard/mouse feature.

Do NOT try this if you don't have experience working with electronics or if you don't feel comfortable doing so.

*** Try this at your own risk, I will not be responsible if you break your computer parts. ***

atx_24pin.jpg

Reactions: Nobu
like this
Exactly the same for me the most recent time it happened: Updated Win10, shut down and it wouldn't start the next morning. Maybe it's because the update involved several restarts? I've started to check my pc every time I shut it down now to make sure the red light is still on in there.

This is only the 2nd pc I've ever built, so I'm not at all familiar with pc troubleshooting but it seems like the potential causes could fall into one of three camps:

1) Static or a short causing some kind of safety cut-off.
2) Bios conflicts or bad data being written.
3) Power drain from connected peripherals or from something internal.

Is that a reasonable summation? Are there any other potential causes?

I would like to know:
Has anyone with this problem ever been given a fix or a repaired board by Gigabyte that fixed the problem permanently?
Has anyone with the problem changed something that has appeared to fix it long term? (ie: for at least several months)

Spartacus: Thanks for the suggestion. What's the thinking behind doing that, please?

Exactly the same for me the most recent time it happened: Updated Win10, shut down and it wouldn't start the next morning. Maybe it's because the update involved several restarts? I've started to check my pc every time I shut it down now to make sure the red light is still on in there.

This is only the 2nd pc I've ever built, so I'm not at all familiar with pc troubleshooting but it seems like the potential causes could fall into one of three camps:

1) Static or a short causing some kind of safety cut-off.
2) Bios conflicts or bad data being written.
3) Power drain from connected peripherals or from something internal.

Is that a reasonable summation? Are there any other potential causes?

I would like to know:
Has anyone with this problem ever been given a fix or a repaired board by Gigabyte that fixed the problem permanently?
Has anyone with the problem changed something that has appeared to fix it long term? (ie: for at least several months)

Spartacus: Thanks for the suggestion. What's the thinking behind doing that, please?
IMO it is 100% something to do with no:1 on your list, take a look at the heat shield on the back of the mobo there is a point where its literally a mm away from a solder point. I was wondering if maybe a static charge could build up on that solder point and jump to the heat shield but noone has yet replied to that comment.

>>Spartacus: Thanks for the suggestion. What's the thinking behind doing that, please?

BitFlip said this can happen immediately on shutdown. That probably rules out shorts if the trigger event can be a shutdown.
At shutdown, the PSU turns off all of the supply voltages except the 5vSB.

I would want to see if the error condition is happening right at the shutdown transition and the presence of the 5vSB
is causing some of piece of logic to get hung up. It might behave differently without the 5vSB at shutdown.

Obviously it should not make a difference. Other brands of mobos shutdown properly with the presence of the 5vSB.
It's something that comes to mind as a relatively simple troubleshooting test though.

Years ago I made my living with an oscilloscope and a soldering iron, I used to see board design problems sometimes.
This problem feels like a design issue that is marginal.... it works most of the time, but not all of the time.

ETA: Another possibility is some transient being induced at shutdown that affects the CMOS. Pulling the CMOS battery
corrects the condition which indicates the CMOS battery voltage is keeping the stuck logic in the error condition.
One user reported that removing the battery quickly worked and it did not wipe his setup data. I thought that was interesting.
That says there is probably nothing being written to the setup data that is causing it.

Last edited:

I made no claim to be an expert in consumer motherboards. I do work in the embedded computing industry selling industrial motherboards from ATX all the way down to 1.8" sizes as well as COM express modules. My experience with our products which are super high quality is the next CPU generation will generally work on a board with a BIOS upgrade but over time you learn a ton about the the circuits for that chipset from problems customers have and generally the design documents are slightly different in terms of trace length and layout recommendations (Disclaimer: this is all with Intel, AMD might be different with the succession of AM4) so usually we get much better reliability and performance when we do a slight revision of the board.

So for me with the 5000 series processor, I want one of those 2nd generation boards where they can go back and fix things and optimize it better for the new CPUs. That is why I am focused on the Dark Hero and considering the TUF PRO version as they are 2nd gen boards. It seems like the X570-E is a great board and considered that one very hard as well but it is Gen 1. Just a personal preference from my work experience. Maybe in the gaming/consumer world it makes no difference whatsoever. That said the Dark Hero is optimized for the 5000 series as it supports that new OC feature which automatically switches from max boost on a few cores to an all core overclock.

>>Spartacus: Thanks for the suggestion. What's the thinking behind doing that, please?

BitFlip said this can happen immediately on shutdown. That probably rules out shorts if the trigger event can be a shutdown.
At shutdown, the PSU turns off all of the supply voltages except the 5vSB.

I would want to see if the error condition is happening right at the shutdown transition and the presence of the 5vSB
is causing some of piece of logic to get hung up. It might behave differently without the 5vSB at shutdown.

Obviously it should not make a difference. Other brands of mobos shutdown properly with the presence of the 5vSB.
It's something that comes to mind as a relatively simple troubleshooting test though.

Years ago I made my living with an oscilloscope and a soldering iron, I used to see board design problems sometimes.
This problem feels like a design issue that is marginal.... it works most of the time, but not all of the time.

ETA: Another possibility is some transient being induced at shutdown that affects the CMOS. Pulling the CMOS battery
corrects the condition which indicates the CMOS battery voltage is keeping the stuck logic in the error condition.
One user reported that removing the battery quickly worked and it did not wipe his setup data. I thought that was interesting.
That says there is probably nothing being written to the setup data that is causing it.

For me this was happning also just before hitting poweron button. Ie. when having Erp disabled it's easy to notice shining leds (on AIO or GPU) - I noticed a couple of times that leds powered off just after I hit poweron button on my case and then "problem we all know" appeared, I had to take and put battery again on its place.
But I somehow like the idea of taking this 5vSB cable out, is there some brave man who did test it already or is testing it? :)

Just happened again today, I'm sick of this. Anybody knows when the Dark Hero is coming out and whether ASUS boards are reliable (and any words about ASUS support)?
Wondering which x570 to purchase. I'm almost certainly never again going to buy another Gigabyte motherboard.

I saw this post and thought it was a specific X570 issue or rather an AMD chipset issue so I disregarded it after looking at reviews of the Z490 Auros Master. Then it happened Monday, went to start it up after enjoying it all Sunday and nothing. Shit it better not just be the clear cmos battery problem, it was. I did it once and said if it did it again I was yanking it out. Yesterday after being prompted for restart(I chose update and shutdown) with windows update the same thing. I pulled and drop that shit off to UPS so Amazon can have it. Waiting for a plain jane bargain basement TUF Z490 Plus Wifi now to see if it was just an overreaction.

Just happened again today, I'm sick of this. Anybody knows when the Dark Hero is coming out and whether ASUS boards are reliable (and any words about ASUS support)?
Wondering which x570 to purchase. I'm almost certainly never again going to buy another Gigabyte motherboard.
Asus seems to have terrible problems with their BIOS as well.
Haven't heard bad from MSI other than the current 3200mhz bug on Zen 3 cpu's.

MSI's CEO was assassinated so maybe their stuff really is too good lol.

Really? Chiang fell from a 7th story balcony. Your statement is.. unfounded at best.

Anyways, My Asus RIVE has been very good. Early x570s were hit or miss. Dark Hero 2nd gen looks great on CPU overclock and meh on memory. Dark Hero is on my short list of x570 MBs. Aorus Master was.

Last edited:

You're missing THE key feature that the Dark Hero has. Not sure if Zen2 can leverage this, but it has a feature where you can keep single core boost AND all core overclocks...

So far, it's the only X570 that can do this.

What sort of BIOS issues ? can you elaborate

You're missing THE key feature that the Dark Hero has. Not sure if Zen2 can leverage this, but it has a feature where you can keep single core boost AND all core overclocks...

So far, it's the only X570 that can do this.

Another thing I really like about that motherboard is the lack of fan

I find it interesting that these power issues are still happening on Aorus boards. I've gone through both X370 and X470 Aorus boards this year that had this same weird behavior. It would randomly just not power on, and I'd have to pull the CMOS battery 2-3x a week. I finally got tired of it and swapped to a refurbished CHVII I got cheap, and it's been rock solid ever since. The only downside to ASUS is their BIOS update releases seem to be slower than MSI. I wrote off Gigabyte years ago when I had a Z97 board literally go up in flames, should have known better.

I find it interesting that these power issues are still happening on Aorus boards. I've gone through both X370 and X470 Aorus boards this year that had this same weird behavior. It would randomly just not power on, and I'd have to pull the CMOS battery 2-3x a week. I finally got tired of it and swapped to a refurbished CHVII I got cheap, and it's been rock solid ever since. The only downside to ASUS is their BIOS update releases seem to be slower than MSI. I wrote off Gigabyte years ago when I had a Z97 board literally go up in flames, should have known better.
I have one z370 bastard board from Gigabyte thats been super solid. I was using it for my work system and its never failed me. It's a bastard board because it was one of like 2 options at the time that supported 8th gen and a PCI slot for a proprietary document scanner my company had a contract on to refurbish. We stopped doing those last year now I can move on to something better. This board made me think it was an AMD issue and I had zero pause in buying the z490 Auros Master. Man I was wrong.

Guys, I came across this post today on reddit
I have a x570 master myself and I'm curious,

Do you have a trip lite battery backup or line conditioner technology where it will help with surges and brown outs? Is your area known for brownouts? A bit of investment to see if that will fix it. I've run one for years even on boards like the p67a-gd80 with known issues like this without issue.

With the forum posts I've seen around, I had heard that once a current surge or undervoltage is detected, it pretty much locks the motherboard down to prevent damage. Due to these values being hard coded, it would be unfeasible for gigabyte to do a mass recall and fix the issue which makes sense that they are ignoring it.
which got me thinking whether this could be somehow related to power quality (surges etc.)? That could potentially explain the occurrence randomness. Also some people here mentioned they've had some success (in that the cold boot issue didn't re-appear) after removing power cable every time they shut down their PC.

However since to most people (including myself) this only started happening after several months of usage in the same environment, most probably it's just myself desperately trying to not accept the fact that I've wasted 410 EUR on a faulty motherboard.

Guys, I came across this post today on reddit

which got me thinking whether this could be somehow related to power quality (surges etc.)? That could potentially explain the occurrence randomness. Also some people here mentioned they've had some success (in that the cold boot issue didn't re-appear) after removing power cable every time they shut down their PC.

However since to most people (including myself) this only started happening after several months of usage in the same environment, most probably it's just myself desperately trying to not accept the fact that I've wasted 410 EUR on a faulty motherboard.
Some one suggested the exact same thing on the Aorus Facebook group (most probably the same person) but its irrelevant because my PC is powered through an expensive mains filter with a built in surge protector as I am a amateur radio operator its imperetive that I protect my sensitive equipment this way.

We can all speculate and cling to the possibility of it not being the motherboard at fault but the sad reality of it is that it is infact a motherboard issue but gigabyte dont want to admit this publicly.

I doubt very much that "cold booting" will effect this issue in anyway as it occurs directly at shutdown meaning that its already occurred before you even have the chance to pull the plug.

This is phenomenally disappointing to read. Been looking at this board.

Was also eyeing the Dark Hero, but they want 849AU for it which is ridiculous.

I just RMA'd my CM 1200W Platinum PSU (Seasonic XP3) due to very similar 5V rail issue, won't power up the board (Max 10 Apex) unless you "jump start" it (by that I mean, set AC on power loss in bios to on, yank out power cord, destatic the board 30 sec, shove power back in). Fixed with a new Super Flower.

Surely this is related to the 5V. Something is very wrong here.

I'm looking at the Asrock B550 Taichi to replace my Aorus Master X570.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550 Taichi/index.nl.asp#Specification

20 PCI-e 4.0 lanes is enough for me, and I really like the new and improved VRM and the 2.5G Intel NIC on this Asrock board.

However I tried the following to resolve this problem;

- Replaced the battery with a brand new Duracell (The CMOS battery on my board was not a KTS battery, but some generic / unbranded one)
- Updated both the main and back-up BIOS to F31e
- Fresh install of Windows 10 build 2004 with only the latest AMD chipset driver and Nvidia driver. The RGB Fusion software didn't work for me anyways and was causing the system to freeze.
- Everything in the BIOS is on default. Except I manually set my memory speed and timings.

My hardware:

- AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
- Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master rev 1.1
- G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB Gold 16GB DDR4-3200 CL14 kit
- Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Master 10GB
- Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
- Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1200W
- NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm

The problem has not returned (yet). But when it does I will instantly buy a new motherboard. I'm using my PC both for work and gaming. So I need something I can rely on.

Last edited:

20 PCI-e 4.0 lanes is enough for me, and I really like the new and improved VRM and the 2.5G Intel NIC on this Asrock board.

- Replaced the battery with a brand new Duracell (The CMOS battery on my board was not a KTS battery, but some generic / unbranded one)
- Fresh install of Windows 10 build 2004 with only the latest AMD chipset driver and Nvidia driver. The RGB Fusion software didn't work for me anyways and was causing the system to freeze.
- Everything in the BIOS is on default. Except I manually set my memory speed and timings.

My hardware:

- AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
- Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
- NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm

The problem has not returned (yet). But when it does I will instantly buy a new motherboard. I'm using my PC both for work and gaming. So I need something I can rely on.
I thought I heard Taichi was a T-Topology memory (RAM) layout.

People seem fond of the Strix-E, there is a Strix B550 XE coming out very shortly that looks nice.

My hardware:

- AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
- Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
- NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm

Followed almost the exact same steps and problem went away for a month, and then out of the blue it came back.
I'm waiting for next occurrence and I'll instantly hit the buy button on some other motherboard (hopefully ASUS Dark Hero).

Then the question is, what to do with the crappy one (aorus master)?

- Sell it? out of question, nobody will buy it with this issue
- Service ? probably 1m without PC just to get back same mobo with same issue and some new scratches, best case get a replacement and to have to live with the fact that the issue will probably manifest in the new one at some point

Put it back in it's box and throw it somewhere in the storage room where it's never going to see the light of day again (along with the $$ I paid for it), the most probable scenario

Back