Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master won't power on - (temporary) solution

To be fair, this is a Gigabyte issue and - as far as we know - not related to AMD. I'm not here to bash Gigabyte (I bought my first Gigabyte mainboard in 2000 or so and then it was basically always Asus or Gigabyte) but this really brings my blood to a boil. I didn't hear about such issues with any ASRock, Asus or MSI mainboard. So if my X570 Aorus Master starts acting up I'll replace it and sell it on a certain auction site as defective.
This reminds me of the Socket 7 days where you could take literally nothing for granted and mainboards would work or not work depending on moon phases.

*Sighs* I was always ready to recommend Gigabyte but right now I feel lost. Don't get me wrong, I won't argue that every single GB mainboard is bad out there but seeing that this issue has
been going on from at least x470 and is still present speaks volumes. Maybe I should give ASRock a try and forget about some fancy features. I'd rather have a rock stable system.

Edit: I fear that this is an actual electric defect, seeing that many people don't have any issues whatsoever and then the issues start and become more and more frequent. Seeing that all my mainboards from Nehalem+ are still working this would be a real bummer.

Last edited:
To be fair, this is a Gigabyte issue and - as far as we know - not related to AMD. I'm not here to bash Gigabyte (I bought my first Gigabyte mainboard in 2000 or so and then it was basically always Asus or Gigabyte) but this really brings my blood to a boil. I didn't hear about such issues with any ASRock, Asus or MSI mainboard. So if my X570 Aorus Master starts acting up I'll replace it and sell it on a certain auction site as defective.
This reminds me of the Socket 7 days where you could take literally nothing for granted and mainboards would work or not work depending on moon phases.

*Sighs* I was always ready to recommend Gigabyte but right now I feel lost. Don't get me wrong, I won't argue that every single GB mainboard is bad out there but seeing that this issue has
been going on from at least x470 and is still present speaks volumes. Maybe I should give ASRock a try and forget about some fancy features. I'd rather have a rock stable system.

Edit: I fear that this is an actual electric defect, seeing that many people don't have any issues whatsoever and then the issues start and become more and more frequent. Seeing that all my mainboards from Nehalem+ are still working this would be a real bummer.

I'm not sure about this problem 'becoming more and more frequent', we just don't know, some people here haven't had the problem for months since last time.

>> To be fair, this is a Gigabyte issue and - as far as we know - not related to AMD.

Absolutely.

For you guys coming from an Intel setup and now dealing with this...... it's not typical for AMD based boards to have these cold boot issues.

I'm a self employed IT guy and have only built Intel systems for many years. My last AMD system was in the old Thunderbird and Opteron days.
I now have two AMD systems, an MSI X570 Tomahawk (3900XT) and an MSI B450 Tomahawk (3600X) and both have been flawless.
Great performance with no issues.

It's a shame that people are having these problems with the Gigabyte boards. Not at all an AMD problem though.

Last edited:

I agree that it has to be some type of electric defect as well, before it happen to me the first time I noticed my keyboard would just flicker and not work once I first started my pc, (I have a steel series apex pro) I had to disconnect & reconnect the USB port on my MOBO, and the same thing happen again to me this morning my keyboard was flickering so I had to disconnect the usb, it’s just frustrating all these little issues, and it seems to be all coming from the MOBO. But since I update my bios to f30 I haven’t had the cold boot issue come back yet, I did update both bios to f30 as well, one thing tho is that my pc makes a very weird loud surge noise now as soon as I turn on the pc. Idk if you guys experience this as well ? Just a shame spend $300+ on a MOBO and cant even get decent customer service

I agree that it has to be some type of electric defect as well, before it happen to me the first time I noticed my keyboard would just flicker and not work once I first started my pc, (I have a steel series apex pro) I had to disconnect & reconnect the USB port on my MOBO, and the same thing happen again to me this morning my keyboard was flickering so I had to disconnect the usb, it’s just frustrating all these little issues, and it seems to be all coming from the MOBO. But since I update my bios to f30 I haven’t had the cold boot issue come back yet, I did update both bios to f30 as well, one thing tho is that my pc makes a very weird loud surge noise now as soon as I turn on the pc. Idk if you guys experience this as well ? Just a shame spend $300+ on a MOBO and cant even get decent customer service

backing this ... have the same with my Corsair K95, although that seems to have passed a bit. we're on error free day #2 counting ... ;)

Well the MB has been om the repairing table at gigabyte for about 5 days now. no emails, no updates, no asking any questions.
Beside having this bug on the MB, my concern is having to invade the case every time you have to pulling the battery and reset CMOS. Sooner or later something is going to break. Or even worst someone is going to get hurt.

Hi Guys,

I also have the reported issue with the Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER. The last time on Monday, my PC didnt want to Power on. So i did again the annoying trick with removing BIOS battery... I guess it was the 5 time since january (i bougt the board in november 2019).

I tried the following configs (all without success):

- update both bios to F21
- run single bios mode
- enable ERP mode
- deactivate Windwos hyprid / sleep mode
- set Power Loading from auto to enable
- avoiding the upper 4 USB Ports which still provide Power after shutdown

In the past I turned power of "the wall" every night and had this issue. So now i am trying to let the PC "on the wall"..

My Setup:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
Board: Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro
FIRST MONITOR: BenQ ZOWIE XL LCD via Display Port
SECOND MONITOR: BenQ ZOWIE XL LCD via Display Port
RAM: 2x G.Skill DDR4 16GB 3600
PSU: be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 750W
Cooling: be Quiet! Dark Rock
Drives: 1 Corsair Force MP600

Can you tell us if the problem happened more frequently over time?
I'm aware that it's quite sporadic so pure chance might play a role but if it increases in frequency for enough people
we might get an idea if it's just a software issue or an electrical defect.

Can you tell us if the problem happened more frequently over time?
I'm aware that it's quite sporadic so pure chance might play a role but if it increases in frequency for enough people
we might get an idea if it's just a software issue or an electrical defect.
Thats difficult to say... at the beginning there were ~3 months between each "no Power on" issue. The last 3 Times it was 1 month, 2 weeks and at least it was only 1 day. With the latest setttings the systems runs for 3 days without any issue.

Just reporting in the issue hasn't surfaced for me and I have one of the original master 1.0 since release. I been combing through the thread and don't see anything I have done different to not have this issue or I am just lucky and don't have a defective board. Gigabyte really needs to come out and a address it. Even tho I have not had issues with mine it still makes me weary of purchasing their products in the future.

This happened to me.
Aourus b450 elite: it turned off itself and didnt turn back on
i took cmos out and it worked again for about 12 hours went to sleep, woke up and welp pc decided to nope no boot today only my rgb lights turned on i am take so much care with my pc stuff having a
GA-Z77X-UD5H Z77 since 8 years ago and havent had these problems.

Hello everyone, I am turning to you for an opinion/advice because as
I bought an aorus x570 master and 1 day after assembly.
I was unable to start the computer, so I tested everything
which was offered to me and it didn't work, so I made an RMA
and got my money back.
So now I hesitate between using the same motherboard or
taking the asus x570 crosshair viii hero which has the same
characteristics a few things ready, because like you I am afraid
to use the same motherboard and have problems again with.
And also the asus a bit expensive than the aorus.

Thank you for your help

Hello everyone, I am turning to you for an opinion/advice because as
I bought an aorus x570 master and 1 day after assembly.
I was unable to start the computer, so I tested everything
which was offered to me and it didn't work, so I made an RMA
and got my money back.
So now I hesitate between using the same motherboard or
taking the asus x570 crosshair viii hero which has the same
characteristics a few things ready, because like you I am afraid
to use the same motherboard and have problems again with.
And also the asus a bit expensive than the aorus.

Thank you for your help
Best options X570 MSI UNIFY or ACE. There is an occasional random restart on Asus Crosshair VII Hero.

Best options X570 MSI UNIFY or ACE. There is an occasional random restart on Asus Crosshair VII Hero.
If i had to do it over i would go with an EVGA. Their tech service was awesome when i returned my power supply and the two i spoke with english was their language The had cross shipment.

If i had to do it over i would go with an EVGA. Their tech service was awesome when i returned my power supply and the two i spoke with english was their language The had cross shipment.
Yeah, but EVGA doesn't make AMD motherboards

What an absolute joke of a motherboard. I'm on x570 Master (rev 1.0, had since relaase ~ Dec 2019 )with F30 bios and just got this today. Shutdown fine yesterday and wouldn't power on today. Luckily my first thought was to test the PSU, but still in a tight case pulling the PSU out, goggling, then trying this out took me 2 hours. I feel for the people with GPU water cooling who get this.

Why the hell can't the system just power on and tell you "Battery faulty/flat"? Also surely they could pick a better spot for the battery then bang under the GPU? Somewhere a bit more accessible would be nice.

Some extra info
* Not sure what a CR2032 battery is meant to operate at, but the one I had was just above 3volt on a multimeter. I had a spare Energizer brand replacement handy (as I bought a 4 pack for car key fobs) , which tested at 3.2 volts. So I replaced the battery since I had it out anyway. I hope this doesn't become a regular thing.
* Be patient on waiting for the power to drain after pulling the battery out. I tried a couple of times but it needed at least 10-15min. Not sure if pressing the power button on the case/board helps drain it faster.

Last edited:
What an absolute joke of a motherboard. I'm on x570 Master (rev 1.0, had since relaase ~ Dec 2019 )with F30 bios and just got this today. Shutdown fine yesterday and wouldn't power on today. Luckily must first thought was to test the PSU, but still in a tight case pulling the PSU out, goggling, then trying this out took me 2 hours. I feel for the people with GPU water cooling who get this.

Why the hell can't the system just power on and tell you "Battery faulty/flat"? Also surely they could pick a better spot for the battery then bang under the GPU? Somewhere a bit more accessible would be nice.

Some extra info
* Not sure what a CR2032 battery is meant to operate at, but the I had was just above 3volt on a multimeter. I had a spare Energizer brand replacement handy (as I bought a 4 pack for car key fobs) , which tested at 3.2 volts. So I replaced the battery since I had it out anyway. I hope this doesn't become a regular thing.
* Be patient on waiting for the power to drain after pulling the battery out. I tried a couple of times but it needed at least 10-15min. Not sure if pressing the power button on the case/board helps drain it faster.

It should drain power faster if you push it off, yes - most OEMs call this "flea power" - hold the power button down for 5-10 seconds and it should clear.

I started having the issue a few weeks ago. Has happened 4 times now. Anyone notice the time of day the shutdown effects the issue? As far as I can remember each time it has happend has been on a weekend past 12PM to 2- AM in the morning. I'm going to experiment with shutting down after a specific time and see if that effects it by changing the bios clock.

Please report it to Gigabyte, include links to this forum and maybe the various threads on the Gigabyte US forum. We're are at a point where nearly everything has been tried
and it's now their job to find out what the underlying issue is.

Well it happened again today. This time it took me almost 10 minutes to revive it. Seems to get consistently harder.

Hi, hardforum noob here. The gf linked me to this site some time ago with high praise. When I started having problems with a new Aorus Master & 3900x, Windows 10 Pro build last week I came here to look for clues. I had start, restart, and monitor issues. I had cloned the ssd from the system I am replacing onto the NVME in the new build. I have done that a few times before. All past clones were on Asus motherboards and they worked fine. I knew enough to search up any Asus folders and delete them from the new system. In spite of my best efforts the glitches persisted. Yesterday I stumbled on the solution. I found in the Services list under Computer Management that 4 "services" from Asus were running. Apparently they didn't show up when I searched for Asus folders. I was able to "disable" them in "Properties" and then I found a way to delete them in cmd prompt. Immediately the problems I was having were gone. It seems there was a conflict with the Gigabyte start, restart, and monitor services. My system now works normally. Finally this Aorus Master and the 3900x are running as expected from reviews. I don't think I am the only person who has cloned their system, and I hope this solution can be of some help to others here.

Hi,

due to the suggestions from you fellow sufferer i changed some settings after the last no-power-bug:
- power loading enabled​
- ErP enabled​
- SATA ports (unused) disabled​
- unused LAN adapter disabled​
- wake on LAN disabled​
- LEDs off in off states, sleep, etc​
- set PCI-E to gen 3​
- updated both BIOS to F30​
- switched to single BIOS mode​
- deactivated windows energy saving- and hybrid sleep mode​

Besides this, all other settings are on default/auto except XMP.

Sadly, all these settings above have not prevent me from this no-power-bug. It occurs again, saturday night.

Hi,

due to the suggestions from you fellow sufferer i changed some settings after the last no-power-bug:
- power loading enabled​
- ErP enabled​
- SATA ports (unused) disabled​
- unused LAN adapter disabled​
- wake on LAN disabled​
- LEDs off in off states, sleep, etc​
- set PCI-E to gen 3​
- updated both BIOS to F30​
- switched to single BIOS mode​
- deactivated windows energy saving- and hybrid sleep mode​

Besides this, all other settings are on default/auto except XMP.

Sadly, all these settings above have not prevent me from this no-power-bug. It occurs again, saturday night.
You're on Windows 10 2004 I presume?
I would suggest going with disabling onboard audio for the next round.

Last edited:
At this point I'm pretty confident this is a hardware issue which Gigabyte would simply not admit.
My suggestion to everyone having this issue, replace the board when first chance arises and never go back to Gigabyte. Also, share this problem with other people interested in getting a mobo.]
If Gigabyte refuses to help us and provides zero support, then why give them our hard earned $$ next time?

I'm really close to admitting defeat with this board, replace it with something else and forget about gigabyte (yes I know, 400$ going to the bin, sucks). No GB boards, no GB graphic cards, nothing that has the gigabyte logo on it.

For those of you who are reaching to point of no return on the Aorus Master, there is a new firmware update. It is of course designed for the new amd processor release. It might be worth a try to install it. This board is outstanding when you get it going right.

For those of you who are reaching to point of no return on the Aorus Master, there is a new firmware update. It is of course designed for the new amd processor release. It might be worth a try to install it. This board is outstanding when you get it going right.

I installed the F30 bios a couple of weeks ago. Today I got the power-on problem again, so the bios update didn't fix it.

It's the second time in just over a month, I'm really starting to sour on this motherboard :(

I installed the F30 bios a couple of weeks ago. Today I got the power-on problem again, so the bios update didn't fix it.

It's the second time in just over a month, I'm really starting to sour on this motherboard :(
Dang, at this point I have zip.

I built a PC in mid April with these specs:
64GB Trident Z Neo (4x16GB)
WD Black SN750 2TB x 2 in RAID1
Ryzen 3900X
X570 Aorus Master WiFi
EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 Super XC Gaming
Corsair RM650x
NZXT Kraken X63
H510 Case

I starting having the issue described here about a month after the build (mid May) and actually returned the original motherboard to Microcenter 2 days after the 30 day return policy to get a new motherboard as I was unaware of this thread. I installed the new motherboard and the issue happened again a few weeks later - I then found this thread so didnt bother with returning the motherboard - it's happened 5+ times since mid-May with the new motherboard and removing the battery for ~10 seconds fixes the issue. The last time it occurred was September 27th - I upgraded my DP cable to a VESA Certified one (Club3D) on September 29th after reading the posts above and the issue occurred again overnight on Oct 13th (2 weeks after cable install and ~16 days after last reset). Usually my PC is in sleep mode overnight when it happens and when I get to my desk in the morning there are no mobo lights, however on October 13th I had actually shut down my PC overnight and got to my desk this morning and it wouldnt turn on via power switch - resetting via CMOS battery removal for 10 seconds fixed it. Currently on F11 BIOS.

I built a PC in mid April with these specs:
64GB Trident Z Neo (4x16GB)
WD Black SN750 2TB x 2 in RAID1
Ryzen 3900X
X570 Aorus Master WiFi
EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 Super XC Gaming
Corsair RM650x
NZXT Kraken X63
H510 Case

I starting having the issue described here about a month after the build (mid May) and actually returned the original motherboard to Microcenter 2 days after the 30 day return policy to get a new motherboard as I was unaware of this thread. I installed the new motherboard and the issue happened again a few weeks later - I then found this thread so didnt bother with returning the motherboard - it's happened 5+ times since mid-May with the new motherboard and removing the battery for ~10 seconds fixes the issue. The last time it occurred was September 27th - I upgraded my DP cable to a VESA Certified one (Club3D) on September 29th after reading the posts above and the issue occurred again overnight on Oct 13th (2 weeks after cable install and ~16 days after last reset). Usually my PC is in sleep mode overnight when it happens and when I get to my desk in the morning there are no mobo lights, however on October 13th I had actually shut down my PC overnight and got to my desk this morning and it wouldnt turn on via power switch - resetting via CMOS battery removal for 10 seconds fixed it. Currently on F11 BIOS.
If it is possible I would just return the board for something else if you still can.

Guys, can we somehow raise awareness on this issue? For example, talk to GamerNexus or some other youtube channel and ask if they could do something on their end?

Guys, can we somehow raise awareness on this issue? For example, talk to GamerNexus or some other youtube channel and ask if they could do something on their end?
I've reached out to them all and nothing. Buildzoid, Gamers Nexus, Major Hardware, Jayztwocents, Paul's Hardware, BitWit and Hardware Unboxed. We aren't waving free stuff in their faces, so we are of no use to them.

I've reached out to them all and nothing. Buildzoid, Gamers Nexus, Major Hardware, Jayztwocents, Paul's Hardware, BitWit and Hardware Unboxed. We aren't waving free stuff in their faces, so we are of no use to them.
I don't expect Paul it nitwit to do anything about it. (I don't understand how those two have a successful channel). I would hope tech Jesus did of at least looked into it. Someone throw a super chat at him doing a live stream and see if he responds.

Just checking in to say that all is still fine! Last post was Aug 13--today's is Oct 14...no "possum-playing-dead" problems with my x570 Aorus Master/3900X to report since I got rid of my old DP 1.4 cable--knock on wood! If I go through the end of the year with no problems I'll conclude that my former funky DP 1.4 cable was offloading a little voltage charge to my motherboard (via pin 20) which every so often was causing my motherboard to shut itself down via the UL protective circuitry on all motherboards today. Hence popping the battery and letting the system bleed off the automatic settings solves the problem when it occurs. That's my theory, anyway.

Currently, on bios F30 with no problems except since I went to 4x8GB from 2x8GB, and am running two mismatched pairs of Patriot Viper Steel DIMMs A1/B1 4133Mhz & A2/B2 3733MHz--all @ 3733Mhz with custom timings--I found that XMP doesn't work so well...;) Really, that's not surprising since XMP depends on SPD readings and I've got separate sets doing what I'm doing. However--I found amazingly enough that I don't need XMP at all as I get 100% stability @ 3733Mhz when XMP is disabled, and I set the system multiplier to 37.33! And at 1.35v, too. Weird, isn't it?.... Actually system benchmarks out a hair faster with XMP turned off.

Why I did this with the ram: I had a spare set of Patriot Viper Steel 4133MHz DIMMs in my parts drawer I got on sale and was saving for something else in the future. Meanwhile, I was running my usual 2x8GB Patriot viper Steel 3733Mhz ram and decided to experiment one day as it occurred to me that the 4133MHz ram should have no trouble running at a slower MHz speed--like 3733Mhz--and I was right, apparently! My custom timing of 15-19-19-19-39-68 run without problems for all four DIMMS. (It's actually CL 16 because I run 1t, Gear Down which bumps up the odd numered CL15 to CL16 automatically. At one time I experimented with GD and disabling GD, and my test showed me, at least, that GD was actually faster and more stable--even bumping up the CL15 base to CL16.

So, guys, I hope not to check in again until the end of the year, unless I have another dead board problem, of course! If it happens I'll come right here and report it on the day it does! Fingers crossed--knock on wood...;) Right now I'm feeling pretty good--no cold boot problems at all for the past two months. I'm even running 1usmus's CTR beta 3 program and running @ max of 1.35v per core, with every core overclocked according to the program, CCX 1&2 clocked to 4350Mhz, and CCX 3&4 clocked to 4175Mhz....again, @ a max voltage of 1.35v rather than the stock 1.5v & PBO with a scaler of 4x--the CTR settings with PBO set to auto beat game and benchmark stock performance w/ custom PBO settings by ~10%...! Very nice, imo. According to the program I have a silver sample--but I'm pretty happy with the result. Getting demonstrably more horsepower while running cooler with less voltage. Very consistent so far. Oh...1usmus is supposed to release his CTR 1.1 version of the program this week, actually

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/clocktuner-for-ryzen-download.html

Hope everyone is doing well...;)

Just checking in to say that all is still fine! Last post was Aug 13--today's is Oct 14...no "possum-playing-dead" problems with my x570 Aorus Master/3900X to report since I got rid of my old DP 1.4 cable--knock on wood! If I go through the end of the year with no problems I'll conclude that my former funky DP 1.4 cable was offloading a little voltage charge to my motherboard (via pin 20) which every so often was causing my motherboard to shut itself down via the UL protective circuitry on all motherboards today. Hence popping the battery and letting the system bleed off the automatic settings solves the problem when it occurs. That's my theory, anyway.
I'm using a brand new DP cable that came with my monitor though (LG 27GL850). Why would it be "funky", and if it is, what should I use instead? HDMI? Or is there a guaranteed Not Funky™ DP cable you can get somewhere?

I'm using a brand new DP cable that came with my monitor though (LG 27GL850). Why would it be "funky", and if it is, what should I use instead? HDMI? Or is there a guaranteed Not Funky™ DP cable you can get somewhere?
There are VESA certified cables which would be what you call Not Funky™. The cables that are given out for free with monitors, can be found cheap on Amazon or the likes, are all non-certified. It is always recommended to use VESA certified cables (which are a tad more expensive than their non-certified counterparts).

I must say that I have not encountered the issue since switching to DP VESA certified, knock on wood, but then again it hasn't been very long since the switch. This issue is so erratic that I am weary to call it fixed.

There are VESA certified cables which would be what you call Not Funky™. The cables that are given out for free with monitors, can be found cheap on Amazon or the likes, are all non-certified. It is always recommended to use VESA certified cables (which are a tad more expensive than their non-certified counterparts).

I must say that I have not encountered the issue since switching to DP VESA certified, knock on wood, but then again it hasn't been very long since the switch. This issue is so erratic that I am weary to call it fixed.

Thanks, I just read up on the "pin 20" issue that may inadvertently send current into the motherboard.

Any idea if this kind of issue exists with HDMI cables as well? My monitor came with both, so I may just switch to HDMI and see if that solves anything, or just to add another datapoint. Would also be interesting to to know from other people with this issue whether they are using DP or HDMI.

One thing that struck me is how the interval between occurrences appears to be pretty consistent for everyone, just shy of two months. For me as well: I built my system on July 9th 2020, the first occurence was on August 29th. That's 51 days. Next occurrence was on October 13th, that's 45 days.

Any ides if version 1.2 of the board fixes this issue? I haven't seen anyone with 1.2 yet.

I have seen reports about revision 1.2 having issues, too and people who bought certified DP cables
reported that the issue re-appeared, in this very thread.
Technically it does make sense for Gigabyte to not care, too because after all they got your money
already and any repair or replacement would cost them. The calculation would be different if this was a widespread
issue which would lead to bad press.
So as a customer all you can do is simply not throwing good money after bad.

Youtubers and the like probably won't raise the issue, too because this isn't some mass
product with several hundred thousand customers being affected.

Personally I'll just sell it on eBay as defective with a honest description of the issue,
recover some money from it and never look back. I do acknowledge that other
manufacturers have their issues, too but one needs to get burned to really
care so I'll just avoid Gigabyte in the future. Quite a shame because in the past
I was very happy with them.

Last edited:
Thanks, I just read up on the "pin 20" issue that may inadvertently send current into the motherboard.

Any idea if this kind of issue exists with HDMI cables as well? My monitor came with both, so I may just switch to HDMI and see if that solves anything, or just to add another datapoint. Would also be interesting to to know from other people with this issue whether they are using DP or HDMI.

One thing that struck me is how the interval between occurrences appears to be pretty consistent for everyone, just shy of two months. For me as well: I built my system on July 9th 2020, the first occurence was on August 29th. That's 51 days. Next occurrence was on October 13th, that's 45 days.

Hi, i have 2 x HDMI and 1 x DVI connected. That are the same cables which worked fine without any issues on my old machine and with the same graphics card.

Back