Gigabyte x48 DS4 ram issue

Kelv

Limp Gawd
When I install ram in slots 1 and 3, the computer doesn't boot, it tries to but resets after a couple seconds and keeps on trying until I turn it off. When I install it in slots 2 and 4, it works. When I install the ram in slots 1 and 2, it works but its in a single channel. Now that I type this, I should probably test slot 3 to make sure that it works along with slot 4.

I'm assuming the channels are 1 and 3, and 2 and 4. If that's a case it probably has something to do with it not liking dual channel from the first set of channels.

Or something could be wrong, does anyone else with this mobo have the same problem?

I have the X38 DS4 and it does not have this issue.
My memory pairs work just the same in either slot pair.

Check for BIOS updates in case its an issue thats been fixed.
Failing that, get in touch with Gigabyte, it may be a known issue that they have a beta BIOS for (ie some memory needs the BIOS tweaking) or they may acknowledge a faulty board.

did you set the ram voltage ?

boot with one stick and set the ram voltage to 2.0v shutdown and install the other stick.

Okay that could be an issue because I believe the ram is running at 1.888. I was checking the bios and the only option that I can see letting me control the voltage of the ram is the overvolatage control in which I can add volts in increments of .05. Is that what I should be setting, +.1 or am I at the wrong setting.

update: looking at the newegg site, it appears that the ram should be running at 1.9v http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184, should I still set it to 2.0?

update 2: I set the voltage to 2.0 by overvoltaging it by .1, and it turned on and is running fine so far.

You should be good. If paranoid you can run your favoite game (or boot a memtest disk) for 1/2 an hour and then press a finger to the middle of the heatspreader on a stick you can reach. It should be warm, maybe even very warm, but if its hot as in its uncomfortable to hold your finger there for a 10 count back off a "notch" with a "notch" being the smallest adjustment increment your settings allow.

One day after the "newness" wears offn testing for stabilty as you back off all voltage settings one by one is not a bad thing to do to kill a slow rainy day.

If you have not yet found the solution I am sure you are tearing out your hair by now! I have the X48 DQ6 and had the same trouble - cab files not copied/corrupted, games not installing etc. Kept me busy for 2 weeks. The reason is simply that Gigabyte have released a great mobo with a fault. Do not run 4 x ram sticks. Remove 2 of them and run in slots 1 / 3 or 2 / 4. Supports 1600 ram. I run 1200 and as soon as I removed 2 sticks all my programs installed perfectly fine. Apparently running x4 will corrupt your files and programs will crash. I advise un-installing all your problem programs, possibly re-installing windows if its bad enough and then starting fresh. You should run smooth thereafter.

How do I know this?? I called Gigabyte and was informed of the glitch.

The problem is now that I am sitting with 4 x 1gig ram modules I cannot use as intended and I now have to approach suppliers to replace them with 2 x 2gig. An expensive exercise!!

Always something, isn't it.
Most of my saturday was spend swapping out my recent dead p5k premium (avoid) and trying to figure out why the replacement X48DS4 couldn't read my windows cd. Even went so far as to rip an old dvd drive out of my pvr and try that--with the same results.

Glad you posted this. I'll try it when I get home, if it works it looks like I'll be having to go buy some new memory as well.

Don't suppose they mentioned anything about a possible fix at some point? Seems kind of pointless to have 4 dimm slots when you can only use 2 of them.

Thanks SpyderC for your post. I have the GA-X48-DS4 and was having intermittent crashes that I attributed to a faulty UPS. I had 4 2gb memory sticks in the slots. I tried reloading XP but the machine shut down part way through a software re-install. I tried re-formatting the HDD and loading xp using another computer then re-installing the HDD on the Gigabyte computer. The Gigabyte computer continued sudden shutdowns corrupting files in the process. I went through this process for most of a month, ditching a good UPS in the process. By accident if found that removing two memory stcks seemed to fix the problem and so I bought more memory to replace what I thought was defective sticks. The problem persisted. I continued to run with two memory sticks and was prepared at some future date to pull the board and check for cold solder joints on the memory slots until I came across your post. WHY CAN'T GIGABYTE CONFESS TO THE PROBLEM IN WRITING ON A SUPPORT FORUM AND SAVE THE USER COUNTLESS WASTED HOURS TRYING TO TROUBLESHOOT WHAT IS A DESIGN DEFECT AND NOT A HARDWARE FAILURE. In my case there is little hair remaining to pull out but am sure many others are dealing with the same issue because of Gigabyte's reluctance to own up. Had fate not intervened and caused me to stumble across this web site and your post, I would still be searching for a cause.

Thanks SpyderC for your post. I have the GA-X48-DS4 and was having intermittent crashes that I attributed to a faulty UPS. I had 4 2gb memory sticks in the slots. I tried reloading XP but the machine shut down part way through a software re-install. I tried re-formatting the HDD and loading xp using another computer then re-installing the HDD on the Gigabyte computer. The Gigabyte computer continued sudden shutdowns corrupting files in the process. I went through this process for most of a month, ditching a good UPS in the process. By accident if found that removing two memory stcks seemed to fix the problem and so I bought more memory to replace what I thought was defective sticks. The problem persisted. I continued to run with two memory sticks and was prepared at some future date to pull the board and check for cold solder joints on the memory slots until I came across your post. WHY CAN'T GIGABYTE CONFESS TO THE PROBLEM IN WRITING ON A SUPPORT FORUM AND SAVE THE USER COUNTLESS WASTED HOURS TRYING TO TROUBLESHOOT WHAT IS A DESIGN DEFECT AND NOT A HARDWARE FAILURE. In my case there is little hair remaining to pull out but am sure many others are dealing with the same issue because of Gigabyte's reluctance to own up. Had fate not intervened and caused me to stumble across this web site and your post, I would still be searching for a cause.

--> Have you try the latest bios F8c on their website?
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2766#bios
Maybe you want to have to try changing your CPU to check.
I have a cpu problem with this symptoms.
As you may know cpu has a memory control HUB controlling the memory.
After a change of processor it work.

Back