Gigabyte voids my GTX 980 Ti warranty because I removed the screws (and put them back on)

You keep using that word. I do not think you know what it means. You keep saying modified, but apparently just unscrewing the screws, or even touching them with a screwdriver, is modifying to you and Gigabyte.

So no evidence? Just checking...

You keep using that word. I do not think you know what it means. You keep saying modified, but apparently just unscrewing the screws, or even touching them with a screwdriver, is modifying to you and Gigabyte. Modified is a volt mod or a bios flash. To cause damage to a card, in such a way to cause artifacting, cannot be done by pulling off a HSF. Doing damage during a HSF install is the kind of damage that causes non-bootable situations, not just artifacts and temperature issues that were present prior to the event.

Did you even read the OP?

I did remove the screws when I changed the thermal paste to Nocuta NT-H1

Did you even read the OP?

They voided the warranty due to screws. They did not do a mass spec analysys of the thermal paste.

If you fuck up a HSF install, ie manhandle it enough to deform the card or crush the die, the card just plain won't work.

They voided the warranty due to screws. They did not do a mass spec analysys of the thermal paste.

If you fuck up a HSF install, ie manhandle it enough to deform the card or crush the die, the card just plain won't work.

I’ll put down good money it’s the memory causing the artifacting. The pads on the 980ti memory aren’t really made to be removed. They are probably not making proper contact with the chips causing artifacting. Since memory temps aren’t usually reported in most monitoring software, it’s easy to miss.

I’m also pretty sure they used the “user removed screws” reason since saying “thermal paste was not applied correctly” or “heat sync and thermal pads were not put back on correctly” is just opening the door to the customer arguing with the RMA rep.

Wow this opened up a can of worms.

Well all I can say is that...

1) I didn't strip any screws. Use the right size Phillips and nothing to be worry about. I'm pretty religious about tools.

2) Did I apply the TIM wrong? I would think not. Applying TIM is so elementary to many of us here. A few hundred dozen times would be an understatement how many times I apply TIM on anything.

3) My card overheating? I'm actually a very casual gamer but I hardly game the past year and mainly been working on my laptop. I would think the artifacts would be related to the something else (maybe the vram?).

4) Did I handle my gpu heatsink badly? Hell no, I baby my stuff. Heck, even when I sell things here I even over-pack them to the extreme. Check my heatware feedbacks under DTN107, you can find a quite a few comments about it.

5) Did I crack the gpu die? Come on... be serious. I'm not using an impact driver on it. Again, I applied the Noctua TIM over a year ago.

I’ll put down good money it’s the memory causing the artifacting. The pads on the 980ti memory aren’t really made to be removed. They are probably not making proper contact with the chips causing artifacting. Since memory temps aren’t usually reported in most monitoring software, it’s easy to miss.

I’m also pretty sure they used the “user removed screws” reason since saying “thermal paste was not applied correctly” or “heat sync and thermal pads were not put back on correctly” is just opening the door to the customer arguing with the RMA rep.

If memory serves me correctly, I think the stock thermal pads for the memory was rather soft. I'll double check later.

If memory serves me correctly, I think the stock thermal pads for the memory was rather soft. I'll double check later.

They are soft, but no more or less than other thermal pads and go right back on easily. I'm going to give the OP the benefit of the doubt as to not being a retard.

that why u get an EVGA or possible other brands :) i removed shroud and put on new paste, no problem they said. aslong as u have not damaged the car in the process.

Wow this opened up a can of worms.

Well all I can say is that...

1) I didn't strip any screws. Use the right size Phillips and nothing to be worry about. I'm pretty religious about tools.

2) Did I apply the TIM wrong? I would think not. Applying TIM is so elementary to many of us here. A few hundred dozen times would be an understatement how many times I apply TIM on anything.

3) My card overheating? I'm actually a very casual gamer but I hardly game the past year and mainly been working on my laptop. I would think the artifacts would be related to the something else (maybe the vram?).

4) Did I handle my gpu heatsink badly? Hell no, I baby my stuff. Heck, even when I sell things here I even over-pack them to the extreme. Check my heatware feedbacks under DTN107, you can find a quite a few comments about it.

5) Did I crack the gpu die? Come on... be serious. I'm not using an impact driver on it. Again, I applied the Noctua TIM over a year ago.

Yeah I really just think they are trying to get out of sending you a new card. With the miner craze I doubt they have anything to send you. The pads are probably the tacky kind and not glued on there.

I'd get in touch with their customer support, I'm sure you have a case number. I'd also post the BS on some type of social media to get a bit more attention brought to it.

I'd get in touch with their customer support, I'm sure you have a case number. I'd also post the BS on some type of social media to get a bit more attention brought to it.

Oh I haven't given up yet but I'm trying my best to be patience and friendly with them but it is proving to not get anywhere.

I have called three separated times the past 10 days. Each time I am met with a very unmotivated 1st tier customer service rep that would simply end up leaving a voicemail with their dept head. Have I gotten a callback yet? So far no including the two e-mails I sent out as well.

Honestly what surprise me more at the moment is how poorly the phone calls with Gigabyte service reps were. I had to lead the whole conversion on top of the weird briefs of silent moments. Did these reps not learn basic customer service? Like "Hello, my name is Bob Saget with Gigabyte customer support. How can I help you?"

I also message their reddit admins weeks ago on an RMA status (when the RMA was at the 6th week mark). I never got a reply back from them nor a comment on my post about this RMA issue.

I just message this admin Brian fella over in the GigabyteGaming reddit. Hopefully he can help me out. Trying to find any real communication with Gigabyte almost seems impossible.

Last edited:
Oh I haven't given up yet but I'm trying my best to be patience and friendly with them but it is proving to not get anywhere.

I have called three separated times the past 10 days. Each time I am met with a very unmotivated 1st tier customer service rep that would simply end up leaving a voicemail with their dept head. Have I gotten a callback yet? So far no including the two e-mails I sent out as well.

Honestly what surprise me more at the moment is how poorly the phone calls with Gigabyte service reps were. I had to lead the whole conversion on top of the weird briefs of silent moments. Did these reps not learn basic customer service? Like "Hello, my name is Bob Saget with Gigabyte customer support. How can I help you?"

I also message their reddit admins weeks ago on an RMA status (when the RMA was at the 6th week mark). I never got a reply back from them nor a comment on my post about this RMA issue.

I just message this admin Brian fella over in the GigabyteGaming reddit. Hopefully he can help me out. Trying to find any real communication with Gigabyte almost seems impossible.

I feel for you. I posted a horror story here in the past about Gigabyte customer service and that wasn't my first bad experience with them (just the worst one). They have been unhelpful, rude, and have outright lied to me on multiple occasions.

At this point in my life, I would rather spend the extra money (if necessary) to support a company that treats its customers better. My interactions with EVGA's support have been nothing but professional, efficient, and very thorough to make sure that it was a good experience. They will keep getting my business unless that changes.

I'm just about ready to throw in the towel.

Not even Brian on reddit is responding (but he is active). I left very polite messages with gigabyte and with Brian. I have been patience but I'm getting to the point where I'm just done with Gigabyte.

The only thing I really regret at this point is the friends and family that I suggested buying a Gigabyte video card or board for the sake of saving a few bucks.

Last edited:
Leave an honest review of what happened at Newegg and Amazon. May get a mfg response.

I do believe you are getting railroaded, and no matter the fault Gigabyte would be better off just making it right.

I will note that if you do put the card back together with slightly over tightened screws you can cause a latent failure. It can cause PCB deflection and stress solder joints which crack over time/temperature/temp cycles. I’ve seen this too often in my company’s mfg due to mis-calibration of torque drivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fleat
like this
I always replace my TIM and never had an issue. Best Warranty is MSI. Little slow to process, takes about 3-4 weeks turnaround, but never BS you like this.

Evga is the best with a week turn around and a lot of the time they can cross ship. Get a refurbished or new card in a couple of days.

They don't care if you remove the cooler to replace the thermal goop or go with a water block or whatever! There sticker on the cooler is there to just inform evga thst you did remove the cooler and they need to examine closer.

As long as you don't damage the card and rma it in original condition, no problem.

that why u get an EVGA or possible other brands :) i removed shroud and put on new paste, no problem they said. aslong as u have not damaged the car in the process.

You only hear these stories with the big Taiwanese OEM's. It's like they still don't get how customer service is done in the west.

You only hear these stories with the big Taiwanese OEM's. It's like they still don't get how customer service is done in the west.

they need to answer their phone ... I doubt they don't get that

Last edited:
Back