Gigabyte Teases Future-Gen Tech Behind the purported GeForce RTX 8090 Ti And You're Going To Need A Bigger Case

erek

[H]F Junkie
The resemblance to modern coolant solutions is striking, Heard rumors and whispers that we are pushing towards the rated outlet standards in the US already.

“GPUs are getting bigger because their power requirements are going up. More power means more heat, and that means you need more mass to dissipate the energy. As for why graphics processors are pulling more power, it has to do with diminishing returns from foundry advancements. To keep the pace of performance increases steady as progress slows and die shrinks offer less and less benefit, it becomes necessary to make ever-larger GPUs that draw more and more power.”

Source: https://hothardware.com/news/gigabyte-teases-rtx-8090-ti-meme

751j4w.jpg

good thing we have US with 110v outlets keeping the pc power numbers sane . at around 1300-1600W .. most of the world its 2300W-3500W for single outlet (10-16A)

pushing towards the rated outlet standards in the US already.

Requiring a dedicated 110v breaker would be bad enough.
We're just about there for the high end. For a standard 15A breaker you have a maximum of 1650W at that voltage. Voltage x amps. We're 120V here so it's 1800W, but who cares. Then add in that you're only supposed to load a breaker to 80% and you're left with 1400-1500W ....we have 1500W PSUs. Granted, it's peak power but toss in monitor(s) and speakers on the same line....

We're just about there for the high end. For a standard 15A breaker you have a maximum of 1650W at that voltage. Voltage x amps. We're 120V here so it's 1800W, but who cares. Then add in that you're only supposed to load a breaker to 80% and you're left with 1400-1500W ....we have 1500W PSUs. Granted, it's peak power but toss in monitor(s) and speakers on the same line....
Also, as was mentioned to me on a recent PSU thread I made, these PSU's are not 100% efficient either. My understanding is that 80 Plus Bronze can be as low as 82% efficient at 100% load and so that assuming that the PSU is delivering 1500W to the components then it could be drawing >1800W out of the wall socket.

tbf i was kinda embarassed after posting this thread and was worried about it being a really bad posting. sorry folks for not thinking this one out first before hitting that submit button. a trash article. i'll work for and strive to post better content to the community's standards going forward.

tbf i was kinda embarassed after posting this thread and was worried about it being a really bad posting. sorry folks for not thinking this one out first before hitting that submit button. a trash article. i'll work for and strive to post better content to the community's standards going forward.
The article was hilarious and a good find, though! (y)
It certainly wasn't the first thing to start poking fun at NVIDIA's massive GPUs and cooling solutions.

This one completely reminds me of your collection. :cool:

Power draw was never something I gave a second thought to in times of yore. That isn't the case these days: it's the power draw more than the price that puts me off the high end offerings. Especially since that extra power draw is there mostly just to support raytracing.

I'm personally waiting for the day when a new computer will require a 220V/30A outlet like a stove or dryer and we have to rewire our homes
probably more likely a 3-phase setup that is more common in homes today ( used today in most central AC units,induction stoves, EV Home Charging station etc.)

probably more likely a 3-phase setup that is more common in homes today ( used today in most central AC units,induction stoves, EV Home Charging station etc.)
3 wire not 3 phase. ;-)

Bi-directional charging stations will becoming a thing for EVs. So that big 60kWh+ battery in your EV essentially is a UPS for your whole house!

Nvidia has been trying to get me to upgrade my dgx systems for work to an h100, which has 10.5kw max usage. That's the whole power budget of my current setup.

Reediculous! Your posts are great - they always were. And trash articles can be fun discussion starters.

Never apologize for trying to liven the place up - your intentions are more noble than most of us animals.

Last edited:
Voltage in the USA has been officially 120v for ~55 years at this point. When people still refer to the voltage as 110v, it kind of reminds me of the people who say "I'm going to tape it" when they record a video using their phone, only worse.
thanks for that. i'm up in canada and i know our voltage is 120V. i always thought the US was the same, but couldn't say for sure. or maybe only parts are? i think you see my point.

many thanks for clearing that up.

What if I sit farther away from my monitor and enable FSR or DLSS? Are people an arm length's away? And do some shadow or water settings increase power draw more than they're fun to look at?

When we built our new house back in 2014 I put in a 20A dedicated circuit to my office just for my PC. It is more about having clean power by not sharing the circuit with appliances, etc. but has worked out well ;)
That won't do you much good if the actual receptacles are only rated for 15A....which is what is typically installed into normal household rooms in the USA, and you somehow manage to exceed that....

When we built our last house in 2012, I specified that the circuits to our office was on 2x 30A breakers, running 10-2 armoured wire in the walls, to 6x 20A receptacles instead of the usual 15A/12-2/15A... I did this because I knew there would be 3 computers & 6 monitors, plus a 300w surround sound system, NAS, router, modem, ethernet switch, UPS, security system, and several other devices in that room needing stable, clean power...

overkill ? perhaps, but I have yet to find any power issues whatsever in this room :)

Not in USA. 120/240 single phase.

theoretically but luckily even a system with a 3090 running furmark and prime95 at the same time you wouldn't be pulling 1500w, you really just want to have overkill on power supply wattage so you're not maxing out. running a power supply at 100% rated load for extended period of time probably wouldn't take too long to fry it.

but you're right. still something to think about. especially if you wanted to host a lan party...

Back