Gigabyte S3 is making baby jesus cry

sandness

Weaksauce
I'm at a loss and need some help. Here's the rig I just built.

Gigabyte 965P-S3 rev.C2 with F6bios
E6300
2x1GB G.Skill HZ series PC6400 ram
old nVidia 6600 gpu
old Audigy 2 sound card
320GB Seagate SATA2
500w Fortron psu
Swiftech watercooling (2x120 rad, 6000 series cpu block, gpu and northbridge)

I have loaded XP Pro and tested it at stock speeds using orthos blend. All is good, as it should be. So then I began to overclock. I haven't done any oc'ing since owning an Athlon XP, so it's been a while. I was reading up here and on extreme systems. Here's what I did:

Hit Ctrl+F1 in bios to get advanced options.
Disabled:
- Limit CPUID Max. to 3
- CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)
- CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2)
- CPU EIST Function
Enter the M.I.T. section and:
- Set CPU Host Clock Control to Enabled
- Set CPU Host Frequency (MHz) to 400
- Set PCI Express Frequency(MHz) to 100
- Set System Memory Multiplier to 2.00
- Set DRAM Timing Selectable to Manual
- Set CAS Latency Time to 5
- Set DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay to 5
- Set DRAM RAS# Precharge to 5
- Set Precharge dealy (tRAS) to 12
- Set the other memory timings to auto
- Set voltage control to manual
- Set all voltages to normal

It posts, boots to windows, and cpuid verifies the speed. I ran the orthos blend for an hour without a hitch, and decided to kick it up a notch. Since the ram is supposed to be decent, I set my host to 450 and left everything else. It posts and boots XP fine. I left the orthos blend go overnight with Intel's thermal analysis tool showing me both cores were staying between 42-44C. Temps look fine, none of the blocks felt very warm. Only the ram was a tad warm, but not hot.

When I checked in the morning, orthos ran without a hitch for the 12hr duration. Temps hadn't changed. I thought I'd install Gigabytes Easytune software to see what it said for temps and such. This is where my problem starts. After installing Easytune, I try to run it and get slapped in the face with a BSOD. I reboot, turn the clock speed back to factory in the bios, and restart. She runs smooth, but Easytune does the same BSOD at stock speeds. I reinstall it and give it another go. No dice. Same problem. So I uninstall it, say f--- Easytune, and reboot to get back to overclocking.

Now it won't overclock. I set the host speed to anything, from 267 to 500, and it boots at stock 266. No errors, no freezing, just acts like nothing changed. I kick the multiplier to 6 and see if it will boot at 6x400, but it boots at 266x6. Its like the host isn't reading what I input into the bios. I've tried upping the vDimm 0.3v, no change. I've flashing the bios with f3, f5, f6, f7 but with no change. I'm pretty bummed now. Any ideas?

Well, a little light at the end of the tunnel. After letting is sit turned off for a few hours and resetting the CMOS, I left the battery out for 10mins and then started over. Now she's back up and running. :) Not sure what was the hold up before, but at least it is working.

I've got it running Orthos large FFT to test the ram, as its running 500x6 with a divider of 2, and +0.1v VDIMM. My spirits are back up. And temps are down a tad at 41-42c range.

the F6 bios is shit for overclocking use F3 as it doesn't muck with your voltages :)

Funny you mention this, as the board shipped with F3 but I had loaded F6 before even attempting an overclock. At the time it was the latest, so I assumed it was best.

For my current run of 500x6, I'm using F7. So far, so good is all I've got to say. 1/2hr Orthos stable and counting. Hopefully I'll have the same feeling when I check in the morning.

sandness said:
Funny you mention this, as the board shipped with F3 but I had loaded F6 before even attempting an overclock. At the time it was the latest, so I assumed it was best.

For my current run of 500x6, I'm using F7. So far, so good is all I've got to say. 1/2hr Orthos stable and counting. Hopefully I'll have the same feeling when I check in the morning.

that's what happened to me but it thought it new best when it came to giving my processor volts (1.4) so I reverted back to F3 and that put it back in its place :)

f5 BIOS was the best for me. I see f7 on the Gigabyte USA site, but I'm happy with f5 :)

Back