Gigabyte RX580 - no UEFI / Secure boot?

Zetro

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone,

I have a RX580 (rx580aorus-8gd Rev. 1.0) running BIOS F4 with Samsung chips.

I have been doing Windows 11 config testing with different builds as a work side projects (IT Consultant here) and I noticed one config would not take Secure Boot and it involves this RX580. I cannot disable CSM on any motherboard setup (10th Gen Intel, Ryzen 5/3/2/1 tested with various chipsets/boards) without it struggling to boot upon the BIOS save/exit.

So it would seem this video card cannot do a native UEFI boot. I put in a support request to Gigabyte and 10 days later now they have yet to respond.

I am not sure if it is possible to "fix" this. Any insight?

BIOS Updates on the card are also confusing for me, all of the BIOS downloads on Gigabyte's website and others seem to be for the revision 1.1 card, not the 1.0. Again, I am not super familiar with video card BIOS' so I may be wrong.

I definitely wouldn't flash the 1.1 bios on the 1.0 card.

Thanks for the replies - I am running this on my bench which is an AB350 Gaming 3 Gigabyte board on latest BIOS - with an EVGA 1060 6GB in it, CSM disables and I am able to do a pure UEFI boot, and then enable Secure Boot with no issues.

With this RX580 in there I reboot with CSM off and it hands for 45 seconds until the BIOS does a self recovery going to defaults, as it cannot boot. The specific error is "Warning: CSM is Loaded. Disable CSM in Setup. Repeated operation after Reboot to ensure UEFI Video (GOP) driver is operational." That error shows up when I try to enable Secure Boot with the RX580 present. So I try to disable CSM and reboot, and the loop continues.

So I can say with a high level of confidence that it is 100% this card.

When I go into GPU-Z it shows UEFI as "checked" but that doesn't seem to be helping here :(

Check out GOPUpd. You can use the tool to confirm you have a UEFI GOP present on the card's vbios. If the GOP isn't present and Gigabyte doesn't end up providing a suitable vbios for you, you can patch the existing vbios.

Check out GOPUpd. You can use the tool to confirm you have a UEFI GOP present on the card's vbios. If the GOP isn't present and Gigabyte doesn't end up providing a suitable vbios for you, you can patch the existing vbios.
Interesting - thank you for that. Going to see if Gigabyte is useful (doubtful) and that will likely be my option.

Or just sell it as people seem to want these for a lot of money lol

Back