GIGABYTE RTX Graphics Cards Introduction and Retail

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
GIGABYTE is making us aware of its five new Gaming OC and WindowForce OC cards for the new RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 TI GPUs.

Geforce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING OC 11G, Geforce RTX 2080 Ti WINDFORCE OC 11G, Geforce RTX 2080 GAMING OC 8G, Geforce RTX 2080 WINDFORCE OC 8G, and Geforce RTX 2070 GAMING OC 8G. All 5 graphics cards feature GIGABYTE WINDFORCE 3X cooling system with alternate spinning fans, RGB fusion, sleak metal back plate, GIGABYTE certified ultra-durable materials and one-click overclocking so that all gamers can enjoy the ultimate gaming experience with the extreme performance.

These are now showing up in stock at Newegg and Amazon.

What is missing is GIGABYTE's AORUS line of cards, but it does let us know that those are on the way!

GIGABYTE will not stop at just 5 Turing architecture graphics cards. We will also be launching AORUS series graphics cards for enthusiasts in the near future, including the air-cooled and water-cooled designs, enhanced RGB lighting effects and more. The full lineup of GIGABYTE and AORUS cards will give gamers a multitude of choice when building their ultimate gaming machine.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
From Amazon:

This item will be released on September 20, 2018.
Pre-order now.

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

I really wish morons would quit paying out the nose for this stuff and enabling card manufacturer's to continually pump up the prices for gains no where near the price point. Heck, I'm still running a 970 and still runs everything I play just fine.

Why when I see the 2080 ti for pre-order do I keep hearing "Betcha' can't eat just one!" in my head? Does NV Link have the same "meh" as SLI? If so just one it is.

no way im paying that much until I see some data. even then I may just go with the 2070 if its at least 40% faster than my 1070

Hahahaha! $1100 dollars! Nope!

I paid $800 for the custom asus strix 1080 ti and that is as high as I will go. My next card will need to double the performance of my 1080ti (like the 1080 ti was double of the 980 ti) before I bite.

Prices are what I expected, to be honest.

I said it in another thread, but I'm sure Nvidia knows that the prolonged supply shortage (and lack of a competitive model) created a lot of gamers that decided to wait until this generation. They're going to try and squeeze those early adopters.

Prices are what I expected, to be honest.

I said it in another thread, but I'm sure Nvidia knows that the prolonged supply shortage (and lack of a competitive model) created a lot of gamers that decided to wait until this generation. They're going to try and squeeze those early adopters.

It's not just price-gouging, it's the fact they added in tensor and raytracing cores (which add to cost) and then shoehorned the product into consumer SKUs.

It's not just price-gouging, it's the fact they added in tensor and raytracing cores (which add to cost) and then shoehorned the product into consumer SKUs.

May be completely true, but this is still horrendously, gobsmackingly expensive. I was ready to jump on a 2080 today, but honestly the price has stopped that plan cold. I will wait for actual stock and availability and see if the prices hold or fall. Because this is crazyness.

My 1080 runs all current titles at 1440p just fine. For this kind of money early adopting I need to see a lot games I can buy right this second that will take full advantage of the hybrid raytracing. Otherwise... why?

Which really kind of bums me out. I'm legitimately hoping for some serious hype from gamers about how great the tech is in actual use.

So $1200 for a Ti version, thats 1.5 time more expensive than my 1080 Ti when I bought it brand new. For that much money it better be 1.5 times faster and there should be a blow job in the box as well :D

I think some people would have been happy with more 4K grunt without all the new fancy buzzwords. Perhaps same issue as 144Hz 4K screens forcing hdr/fald but then asking $2000.

We have no real benchmarks only weird data spewing about ray tracing power. I am beginning to wonder ... are they just barely faster then a 1080ti and they were scared for us to know before we pre-order? This feels shady.

Reactions: nimer
like this
These prices are out of this world. So much for the Cryptomining decline. Looks like they are still jacking up the pricing.

Correct me if i'm wrong here, Shouldnt those new technologies basically have an R&D cost only? Plus the size of silicon they take up on the die? Like the actual physical cost in manufacturing other then physical size should be only intellectual property and research development right?

Correct me if i'm wrong here, Shouldnt those new technologies basically have an R&D cost only? Plus the size of silicon they take up on the die? Like the actual physical cost in manufacturing other then physical size should be only intellectual property and research development right?

My personal opinion is that NV is pushing their partners around (which surprises me 0 after the GPP and NDA stuff that [H] pushed back against) but I guess we'll see.

My personal opinion is that NV is pushing their partners around (which surprises me 0 after the GPP and NDA stuff that [H] pushed back against) but I guess we'll see.

Of course they are, it appears to have been a gentlemans agreement with AIB's previously for nvidia to overcharge for a shitty noisey cooling solution to allow them to have a market for better terms now we have dual fans, maybe its shitty who knows.... I would love to see the costs that nvidia marks down from rrp on the gpu in exchange for the labor cost and all the other stuff that goes into selling and supporting a retail faced end product. i assume AIB's purchase the gpu from tsmc through nvidia and then they source everything else pcb components assembly packaging shipping support et al

No. They take up space. That means a bigger die, which means less less dies per wafer. Bigger dies also mean more chance for defects, so probably even less yield per wafer. Then you have things like GDDR6, which is likely scarcer and more expensive than the gddr5x of the 1080ti. If they went to say 10nm or 7nm process, they probably picked up increased costs from that as well.

Unless the crypto miners can get their money's worth out of it, I have a feeling this gen is going to sell slowly. On the other hand, they may just be trying to reduce initial demand if the process sucks and they expect ram prices to drop significantly. I doubt it though. I honestly think they looked at the 2080ti, considered it a titan replacement, and through a $100 bump was only like 10%.

So $1200 for a Ti version, thats 1.5 time more expensive than my 1080 Ti when I bought it brand new. For that much money it better be 1.5 times faster and there should be a blow job in the box as well :D

I lubed up my wallet but there wasnt enough lube... the big green weenie struck again. Honestly, im not that mad about it, its what we pay for being on the bleeding edge of performance.

Oh, boy! Gamers shouldn't buy this card as it has been mined in the factory!

"144-Hour Validation Program
Our extensive performance and stress tests begin with the very latest chart-topping titles — like Fortnite, League of Legends, Overwatch and PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. We also carry out reliability trials that include a 144-hour stability test and a series of 3DMark benchmarking runs to ensure the card performs well when pushed to the limits."

Historically the only difference has been clock speed out of the box. Unfortunately no AIB is advertising their clock speeds, yet.

well, I have noticed windforce cards have usually contained more video outputs. The 1050, 1060 windforce cards have 5 video outputs whereas regular gigabyte 1050/1060 cards had 3.

that being said, it looks like both of the cards posted have the same number of outputs.

They can go pound sand with those prices! I heard around $650 for a aftermarket 2070 like MSI or such, no way. I decided to buy a MSI 1080 Gaming X for $500 on Amazon and sell my MSI 1070 Gaming X. I'll wait and see what the next generation brings after the 2000 series.

$1150 is the cheapest ive seen for a 2080ti so far. so much for 999+

using Nvidia's current pricing scheme pricing the next gen release 2-3 years from now will put the 3080 Ti at about $1899 upon release

1080 Ti was $699 on release, half of that is $3500 then add back in to the $699 and add a bit for inflation and we have the 2080 Ti's price at release ...

using Nvidia's current pricing scheme pricing the next gen release 2-3 years from now will put the 3080 Ti at about $1899 upon release

1080 Ti was $699 on release, half of that is $3500 then add back in to the $699 and add a bit for inflation and we have the 2080 Ti's price at release ...

Gotta take into consideration that this gen's RTX cards incorporate all the technology from the quadro line up. Also the massive die and current 12nm node also has a huge impact depending on yields. I predict that 3080 might be at the same or somewhat lower price than current gen.

Gotta take into consideration that this gen's RTX cards incorporate all the technology from the quadro line up. Also the massive die and current 12nm node also has a huge impact depending on yields. I predict that 3080 might be at the same or somewhat lower price than current gen.

I realize the 2080 Ti card is cutting edge and all such tech has always been way over-priced at release and so that those who have the money to burn can get their hands on the tech first no different than way back when when cell phones were the size of a shoe box.

But it's supposed to trickle down to the masses and the past 2 years didn't do that price-wise until very recently

I will wait for navi, which is supposed to be a cheaper card vs performance.. we will see.
Looks like nvidia will be ticking when amd will be tocking.. so i will wait for amds tock generation.

My thought is that Nvidia saw the Crypto pricing versus their pricing and got pissed. The partners/resellers made all the money off of the Crypto boost, not AMD/Nvidia. So now Nvidia is saying screw it, you're going to end up buying/paying anyway so we might as well make that markup versus the reseller/partner making it.

I realize the 2080 Ti card is cutting edge and all such tech has always been way over-priced at release and so that those who have the money to burn can get their hands on the tech first no different than way back when when cell phones were the size of a shoe box.

But it's supposed to trickle down to the masses and the past 2 years didn't do that price-wise until very recently

Yep, I agree with you that the sticker shock is the issue. When I first saw the price I kind of second guessed pre ordering. But I also took into consideration that $1200 dollars is about the price point for titan class cards and to be fair a Ti is pretty much a titan class card in terms of gaming prowess. I do think that if the pre order price was $1000 like stated in the conference that there would be somewhat less disgruntled people out there feeling like they been tricked by Jensen’s announcement. It really just depends on whether or not individuals can stomach the price of entry this generation. I however have been saving for a while so while it hurt my wallet quite a bit I have no qualms about it. I wanted guaranteed performance that will surpass my 1080ti and there was no other choice but to get the 2080ti. For some people they can’t justify cost but I look at is a savings over time scenario. If I save $62 a month for about 18 months I would approximately have enough money to purchase a new 2080ti based on market price fluctuations. Or if other individuals upgrade cycle is 24 months instead of 18 then the price of entry on a monthly basis is even lower. I’m no son of a oil magnate or some rich fellow that inhereted millions of dollars from a dead relative. I’m just regular Joe Schmoe. If people can save $50 a month towards their PC fund I’m sure they can afford the latest and greatest come upgrade time whenever the next gen card comes out.

Yep, I agree with you that the sticker shock is the issue. When I first saw the price I kind of second guessed pre ordering. But I also took into consideration that $1200 dollars is about the price point for titan class cards and to be fair a Ti is pretty much a titan class card in terms of gaming prowess. I do think that if the pre order price was $1000 like stated in the conference that there would be somewhat less disgruntled people out there feeling like they been tricked by Jensen’s announcement. It really just depends on whether or not individuals can stomach the price of entry this generation. I however have been saving for a while so while it hurt my wallet quite a bit I have no qualms about it. I wanted guaranteed performance that will surpass my 1080ti and there was no other choice but to get the 2080ti. For some people they can’t justify cost but I look at is a savings over time scenario. If I save $62 a month for about 18 months I would approximately have enough money to purchase a new 2080ti based on market price fluctuations. Or if other individuals upgrade cycle is 24 months instead of 18 then the price of entry on a monthly basis is even lower. I’m no son of a oil magnate or some rich fellow that inhereted millions of dollars from a dead relative. I’m just regular Joe Schmoe. If people can save $50 a month towards their PC fund I’m sure they can afford the latest and greatest come upgrade time whenever the next gen card comes out.
I think yes its the sticker shock of the high end but nvidia is also raising the middle.... The middle finger, and the mid range cards... Man this crap wasn't like this, i know MSRP gets cited to show, yeah, they always launched high, and these things mostly been high, but crap, i think i remember paying msrp was the equivalent of being ripped off.. and MSRP was there just to know how much less money you were paying from it... Meh maybe im crazy.

Yeah, if AMD had something out that was equivalent to nvidias lineup at a lower price then we could have had a different situation but AMD lost the gpu race. What we’re seeing is straight up capitalism. At the end of the day it’s just business and business does not care about feelings it just cares about cold hard cash. But just to keep a positive note if people hold nvidia stock they might see a growth increase in their portfolios :) and no I don’t own any.

No. They take up space. That means a bigger die, which means less less dies per wafer. Bigger dies also mean more chance for defects, so probably even less yield per wafer. Then you have things like GDDR6, which is likely scarcer and more expensive than the gddr5x of the 1080ti. If they went to say 10nm or 7nm process, they probably picked up increased costs from that as well.

Unless the crypto miners can get their money's worth out of it, I have a feeling this gen is going to sell slowly. On the other hand, they may just be trying to reduce initial demand if the process sucks and they expect ram prices to drop significantly. I doubt it though. I honestly think they looked at the 2080ti, considered it a titan replacement, and through a $100 bump was only like 10%.

I totally forgot about the increase in cost indirectly as a result of manufacturing defects magnified from the reduced output per wafer from die increase.

thank you

They look cheaply built, ugly AF and take up more than two slots! Crazy pricing too! Thanks, but no thanks.

Back