GIGABYTE RTX 3080 ti $845

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon has a evga 3080 ti for 899. Much better return policy, customer service. I’d spend the few extra bucks and get a better card and customer service.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0979GYMHP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Please don't misconstrue amazon's easy returns as customer service, they have 0 customer service at all and will completely blow you off for months for actual problems. They still haven't fixed their issue they created on my account since march.

Please don't misconstrue amazon's easy returns as customer service, they have 0 customer service at all and will completely blow you off for months for actual problems. They still haven't fixed their issue they created on my account since march.
I've been a customer 10+ years at both Newegg and Amazon. Amazon has proven time and time again they are the better retailer. Newegg screwed me twice on thousands of dollars, and I voted with my wallet. Newegg 15 years ago? Sure they had my money and even sent me cool t shirts on occasion randomly. Now? Absolute shell of a shit company. The return policy alone and the instant chat customer service makes Amazon my pick. If you buy first party directly from Amazon, you will not have any issue. At least I never have. I always buy new and direct from Amazon.

I've been a customer 10+ years at both Newegg and Amazon. Amazon has proven time and time again they are the better retailer. Newegg screwed me twice on thousands of dollars, and I voted with my wallet. Newegg 15 years ago? Sure they had my money and even sent me cool t shirts on occasion randomly. Now? Absolute shell of a shit company. The return policy alone and the instant chat customer service makes Amazon my pick. If you buy first party directly from Amazon, you will not have any issue. At least I never have. I always buy new and direct from Amazon.
That's great but it has nothing to do with customer service which is just what I wanted to point out. Amazon is great for their delivery and returns, not for their customer service which is essentially nonexistent.

$50 is $50. But if it was about rep I wouldn't buy from either of these clowns. :ROFLMAO:
In this case that is more than enough for my peace of mind. Frugal is one thing, being cheap is another. But most of us know this PC hardware hobby isn't cheap.

That's great but it has nothing to do with customer service which is just what I wanted to point out. Amazon is great for their delivery and returns, not for their customer service which is essentially nonexistent.
I've used it to initiate returns and track items that were basically lost. That is customer service. It is instant. Lost a $900 laptop in transit? Said delivered but was not? No problem. It was addressed in minutes and refunded. That is customer service.

Perhaps your issue was something the manufacturer needed to be involved in? If that is the case it has nothing to do with Amazon's customer service. Just my opinion.

I've used it to initiate returns and track items that were basically lost. That is customer service. It is instant. Lost a $900 laptop in transit? Said delivered but was not? No problem. It was addressed in minutes and refunded. That is customer service.

Perhaps your issue was something the manufacturer needed to be involved in? If that is the case it has nothing to do with Amazon's customer service. Just my opinion.
Nope amazon screwed up my account so a bunch of history is missing, has nothing to do with ordering and if I do a csv export all of the history is still there so they can fix it. The chat bots they use ("people") to do returns are great but they don't actually fix any issues that are real problems and the "we'll forward your information and get back to you" never happens. Amazon is like google they absolutely 100% do not care lol.

Yep they have easy returns (automated) but their customer service sucks in my experience.

EDIT: I've shopped both stores since they launched 20+ years ago, too. I'm not inexperienced on either.

Nope amazon screwed up my account so a bunch of history is missing, has nothing to do with ordering and if I do a csv export all of the history is still there so they can fix it. The chat bots they use ("people") to do returns are great but they don't actually fix any issues that are real problems and the "we'll forward your information and get back to you" never happens. Amazon is like google they absolutely 100% do not care lol.
Interesting. Rare situation I suppose and unfortunate. I don't speak to the bots I have always made sure I was talking to a real person. Also they have good phone customer service. Everyone has an experience though, and that would suck.

Interesting. Rare situation I suppose and unfortunate. I don't speak to the bots I have always made sure I was talking to a real person. Also they have good phone customer service. Everyone has an experience though, and that would suck.
Their phone people are nice but unfortunately they're basically ticket ingest people so they can't do that much. It definitely is stupid and still blows my mind it happened but it is what it is lol, I gave up on it and now I just manually export my orders since their emails don't contain the items ordered and they can delete your history from the site for no reason apparently.

Their phone people are nice but unfortunately they're basically ticket ingest people so they can't do that much. It definitely is stupid and still blows my mind it happened but it is what it is lol, I gave up on it and now I just manually export my orders since their emails don't contain the items ordered and they can delete your history from the site for no reason apparently.
One thing I've learned in this day and age where 'the company holds your info ransom' by not sending you proper copies of it is to mine that info out and save it, and if it's too much of a hassle stop doing business with them. Plenty of people out there apparently want to do business with absolutely no history of what happened and I'm not one of them. I stick to companies who provide me with something on paper--packing slips, etc are great too. No funny business then. And it's worked fine like this before all the '.com wizards' came in to fix what wasn't broken. Efficiency is one thing, but bait and switch and mistakes to benefit the company and marginalizing customers who try to correct those mistakes is a big FU to the customer who is a fool to continue doing business with them. (The medical field is even worse--I still have to download all my dad's records before he died if the MF didn't delete them all by now. A-holes should have just gave me a MF stack of paper vs make me chase them for what is mine.)

A perfect example is my Target experience in the last 48hrs. Get something off the shelf that says, buy 2x of these, get $5 target gift card. I was distracted in the checkout line and forgot to check the receipt--no gift card. Check online at home and notice it is only for certain items. No problem, return one big bottle and get 2x smaller ones since the cost/item is the same either way. Check out with 2x bottle as per the sign and still no gift card. Cashier says dunno, go to customer service. Go to customer service and they can't find it programmed in the system. Look it up on the target app and doesn't show it. Clerk could have checked the shelf where this came from but instead walks over to their boss to get approval and the boss immediately approves it before the guy even gets 1ft away--boss knows this game as it's an intentional deceptive practice. And the promo was working as the shelves were nearly bare, but I bet not even 5% of the customers that bought 2x got their gift card, and if I knew there was going to be this much hassle, I wouldn't have even bothered buying from Target. This is textbook shady third-world business practices (I've seen it in that part of the world first hand). And anybody that wants to play this game can keep what they're selling--I can get it elsewhere.

Same thing for these 'marketplace' sellers that have a mix of scammers and gray market and legit items. F that, Best Buy is the real thing no matter what, and if it isn't you can go into a store and stomp the manager (hence why it is always the real thing unless a customer did a switch on something). Try to stomp someone at one of these online companies--you can't and they know it.

NewEgg / Amazon is one argument but no one is picking on the Gigabyte versus EVGA issue? EVGA wins by a landslide. For the "Step Up" program alone, especially with new cards potentially due in the coming months...

NewEgg / Amazon is one argument but no one is picking on the Gigabyte versus EVGA issue? EVGA wins by a landslide. For the "Step Up" program alone, especially with new cards potentially due in the coming months...
I was going to mention this also. Card for card the evga is a better pick regardless of the retailer and the $50 price difference.

Amazon has a evga 3080 ti for 899. Much better return policy, customer service. I’d spend the few extra bucks and get a better card and customer service.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0979GYMHP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Fwiw Amazon will take weeks to finally refund your CC on higher value electronics and GPU returns - they go into a long inspection queue. Newegg GPU returns also get inspected, but they usually turn it around within 24-48hrs after they receive it.

Step up for 4000 series is pure fantasy. You'll get a new GPU eventually but probably not until 2023.

Step up for 4000 series is pure fantasy. You'll get a new GPU eventually but probably not until 2023.
Maybe true but what does Gigabyte have? I’d rather have the option than not plus EVGA has far better service.

If 4000 series wasn’t so close I would sell my 3080 and swap over or have my son sell his 2070 super and get him one.

Unless you’re buying a 4090 it’s not a bad plan to boost your son today. :)
Yeah I just thought about it. When I upgraded to my aio cooled 3080. I sold my 1080ti for $500. I don't remember the exact cost, but I believe it was around $750 to my door, so ~250 to upgrade.
It may make sense to order the 3080ti today, list his 2070super and a couple of extra things I have laying around and give him my 3080. Then when the 4k series comes out. Ill have more potential value to upgrade when I am ready.
And his 17th birthday is in 2 weeks, so he is actually playing games that would benefit from 2070 -> 3080. Especially on his 1440p 240hz monitor.

Last edited:
One thing I've learned in this day and age where 'the company holds your info ransom' by not sending you proper copies of it is to mine that info out and save it, and if it's too much of a hassle stop doing business with them. Plenty of people out there apparently want to do business with absolutely no history of what happened and I'm not one of them. I stick to companies who provide me with something on paper--packing slips, etc are great too. No funny business then. And it's worked fine like this before all the '.com wizards' came in to fix what wasn't broken. Efficiency is one thing, but bait and switch and mistakes to benefit the company and marginalizing customers who try to correct those mistakes is a big FU to the customer who is a fool to continue doing business with them. (The medical field is even worse--I still have to download all my dad's records before he died if the MF didn't delete them all by now. A-holes should have just gave me a MF stack of paper vs make me chase them for what is mine.)

A perfect example is my Target experience in the last 48hrs. Get something off the shelf that says, buy 2x of these, get $5 target gift card. I was distracted in the checkout line and forgot to check the receipt--no gift card. Check online at home and notice it is only for certain items. No problem, return one big bottle and get 2x smaller ones since the cost/item is the same either way. Check out with 2x bottle as per the sign and still no gift card. Cashier says dunno, go to customer service. Go to customer service and they can't find it programmed in the system. Look it up on the target app and doesn't show it. Clerk could have checked the shelf where this came from but instead walks over to their boss to get approval and the boss immediately approves it before the guy even gets 1ft away--boss knows this game as it's an intentional deceptive practice. And the promo was working as the shelves were nearly bare, but I bet not even 5% of the customers that bought 2x got their gift card, and if I knew there was going to be this much hassle, I wouldn't have even bothered buying from Target. This is textbook shady third-world business practices (I've seen it in that part of the world first hand). And anybody that wants to play this game can keep what they're selling--I can get it elsewhere.

Same thing for these 'marketplace' sellers that have a mix of scammers and gray market and legit items. F that, Best Buy is the real thing no matter what, and if it isn't you can go into a store and stomp the manager (hence why it is always the real thing unless a customer did a switch on something). Try to stomp someone at one of these online companies--you can't and they know it.
This sounds like the Albertsons/Safeway digital coupons scam. Save $X.XX by scanning this coupon with the app. Which no matter how many times I scan and save them to my account they never apply at checkout. So I have to wait in line at customer service to get it adjusted. I honestly wonder at this point if it really is a scam and they are just hoping people don't check their receipts.

Yeah I just thought about it. When I upgraded to my aio cooled 3080. I sold my 1080ti for $500. I don't remember the exact cost, but I believe it was around $750 to my door, so ~250 to upgrade.
It may make sense to order the 3080ti today, list his 2070super and a couple of extra things I have laying around and give him my 3080. Then when the 4k series comes out. Ill have more potential value to upgrade when I am ready.
And his 17th birthday is in 2 weeks, so he is actually playing games that would benefit from 2070 -> 3080. Especially on his 1440p 240hz monitor.
Man I wish my parents would have given me $800+ gpus for my bday. But maybe not, I probably would have just been even more spoiled.

Man I wish my parents would have given me $800+ gpus for my bday. But maybe not, I probably would have just been even more spoiled.
He generally gets my hand me downs other than his cpu/motherboard/ram. 5600x 32 gigs of ram. I upgraded that for his birthday&christmas last year, My old Ryzen 1700 was pretty limiting in rust and I couldn't justify upgrading my 9900k at the time.
He's a good kid though, respectful/caring and does as I say. Cooks for me half the time and does nearly all of the yard work.
This case won't be any different. Ill get the 3080ti and he gets my 3080... Not that there is much difference between the two, but I do renders for work with Solidworks to help make some of my bigger projects look fancy and more is always better.

One bonus I can think of... my other son that doesn't live with me, is using an my old Alienware laptop with a 1070. It is about dead. The IC that controls charging is damaged, so it doesn't recognize the charger is correct and one of the memory channels died. I actually had to use throttle stop to get to boost above 700mhz lol.
So, I could actually keep the 2070, I have a ryzen 1700,board,ram laying around unused. I can buy a cheap heatsink,psu,case. Rip the ssds out of the alienware and take one of his brothers (3)montiors and have him a half decent desktop.

Same. I lived on the MX series of GeForce cards in my early PC gaming days. It was a treat when my dad got me a GF4 Ti4200 for Christmas as part of a whole DIY package.

Back