Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti EAGLE 8G initial thoughts and question

FlipCody

Limp Gawd
I got my Gigabtte RTX 3060 Ti EAGLE 8G today and I'm impressed. Coming from a EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER SC ULTRA GAMING card. I have only played one game so far but there was some serious improvements. I'm running at 1440p and in Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War with max settings and I went from mid 60s fps to about 100 fps. The boost clock for card is specified at 1,665 MHz and the card is running at max of 1,920 MHz when in game (according to GPU-Z). I'm getting gpu temperatures of 82 C at load. Should I be concerned? With my RTX 2060 Super temps would max out at about 68 C.

I believe airflow is good. Motherboard temp at idle is about 30 C. I have 2 Noctua 140mm fans coming in and 2 Noctua 140mm fans coming out. I got 68 C with my 2060 Super at load and this appears to be typical.

Coming back to this hoping that someone has this card. Does anyone have a Gigabtte RTX 3060 Ti EAGLE 8G? What kind of temps are you getting? When I have been playing Cyberpunk 2077 the GPU generally runs in the mid 80s C (hottest was 87C). The fan in generally running over 90%. I figure the heat sink is not seated correctly and I will likely return card. Thanks!

Further information on this. I found a review of this specific card on overclock3d. They had a maximum temp of 67C after 30 minutes of stress test on this card. My max temp is 87C so my card is running 20C hotter than the card reviewed. They also got a maximum actual boost speed of 1,965 MHz (not overclocked). I know this will vary card to card but I'm only seeing about 1,750 MHz on my card. To me it looks like I'm getting throttled because of my temps. Any other opinions? Unfortunately it looks like I'm returning this card. I could take heat sink off and apply new thermal paste but I'm very concerned about voiding warranty. This really sucks because I expect that they might not be able to replace this card. I got from NE and when I called they said if they could not replace the card in seven days I would be issued a credit. Not looking forward to going back to my RTX 2060 Super after using this card for a week...

Further information on this. I found a review of this specific card on overclock3d. They had a maximum temp of 67C after 30 minutes of stress test on this card. My max temp is 87C so my card is running 20C hotter than the card reviewed. They also got a maximum actual boost speed of 1,965 MHz (not overclocked). I know this will vary card to card but I'm only seeing about 1,750 MHz on my card. To me it looks like I'm getting throttled because of my temps. Any other opinions? Unfortunately it looks like I'm returning this card. I could take heat sink off and apply new thermal paste but I'm very concerned about voiding warranty. This really sucks because I expect that they might not be able to replace this card. I got from NE and when I called they said if they could not replace the card in seven days I would be issued a credit. Not looking forward to going back to my RTX 2060 Super after using this card for a week...

What case are you running?

Also, it's technically not legal for a company to void a warranty due to paste replacement, thought I'm not saying they won't try. I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with Gigabyte, but I haven't had issues with MSI or XFX when it came to RMAs and paste replacement. I've also gotten a replacement card from newegg on a card I repasted. If you're not comfortable removing the heatsink and you're inexperienced, I would not advise it unless you're mechanically inclined.

What case are you running?

Also, it's technically not legal for a company to void a warranty due to paste replacement, thought I'm not saying they won't try. I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with Gigabyte, but I haven't had issues with MSI or XFX when it came to RMAs and paste replacement. I've also gotten a replacement card from newegg on a card I repasted. If you're not comfortable removing the heatsink and you're inexperienced, I would not advise it unless you're mechanically inclined.
Fractal Design Define 7 Case. Not the best airflow case but when I game I open the front door which improves flow considerably. I have 2 Noctua 140mm fans coming in and 2 Noctua 140mm fans coming out. I have never replaced thermal paste on a graphics card but I have done many cpus. I'm comfortable doing it aside from the warranty issue. I'm not clear if there are stickers or other ways for company to know I have taken heat sink off.

Fractal Design Define 7 Case. Not the best airflow case but when I game I open the front door which improves flow considerably. I have 2 Noctua 140mm fans coming in and 2 Noctua 140mm fans coming out. I have never replaced thermal paste on a graphics card but I have done many cpus. I'm comfortable doing it aside from the warranty issue. I'm not clear if there are stickers or other ways for company to know I have taken heat sink off.

Yes airflow is poor but should be mitigated with the front door open.

Some companies put stickers, typically a sticker on one of the four GPU mounting screws. They are not valid in the U.S.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...turns-out-feds-say-those-warnings-are-illegal

Steve @ Gamers nexus has also commented numerous times on how these stickers are illegal.

I flashed my zotac twinegde 3070 oc with asus tuf oc bios here with a asus bios and it bosts to 1965 at stock and settles 1935 lowest ive seen 1910. if it gets like up to 75c

it doesnt really go up and down since the it has the limits relaxed to 365 wats.

i would set a fan curve on it , with afetrburner. i have mine pretty agressive like 100% at when it gets 70c

also might want to check into your room temps and if its toasty in your case.

I flashed my zotac twinegde 3070 oc with asus tuf oc bios here with a asus bios and it bosts to 1965 at stock and settles 1935 lowest ive seen 1910. if it gets like up to 75c

it doesnt really go up and down since the it has the limits relaxed to 365 wats.

i would set a fan curve on it , with afetrburner. i have mine pretty agressive like 100% at when it gets 70c

also might want to check into your room temps and if its toasty in your case.
Thanks for the reply. My fan is ramping up to 100% fairly quickly. I just checked and it ramps up to about 94% at 55C and at 70C the fan is at 97%. Shortly after that it goes up 100%. When I'm at load in Cyberpunk 2077 it is now at about 83 - 84 C and 100% fan. I have changed thermal paste to Kryonaut and this improved temps a bit. Before changing thermal paste I was hitting 87C in Cyberpunk 2077. Temps are bit lower in other less intensive games like Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War. I'm at about 79C at load (it was 82C before changing thermal paste). I can change fan curve but I don't expect this will change temp at load when fan is at 100%. I don't think it is the case or room. The only thing I have changed in computer is going from a RTX 2060 Super to the RTX 3060 Ti (though the 3060 Ti is a shorter 2 fan card). The 2060 Super was running at 68C at load (though I switched out cards before Cyberpunk 2077). I'm probably going to stick with this card and not return it. Going back to 2060 Super would be painful at this point and getting another 3060 Ti quickly is unlikely.

Thanks for the reply. My fan is ramping up to 100% fairly quickly. I just checked and it ramps up to about 94% at 55C and at 70C the fan is at 97%. Shortly after that it goes up 100%. When I'm at load in Cyberpunk 2077 it is now at about 83 - 84 C and 100% fan. I have changed thermal paste to Kryonaut and this improved temps a bit. Before changing thermal paste I was hitting 87C in Cyberpunk 2077. Temps are bit lower in other less intensive games like Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War. I'm at about 79C at load (it was 82C before changing thermal paste). I can change fan curve but I don't expect this will change temp at load when fan is at 100%. I don't think it is the case or room. The only thing I have changed in computer is going from a RTX 2060 Super to the RTX 3060 Ti (though the 3060 Ti is a shorter 2 fan card). The 2060 Super was running at 68C at load (though I switched out cards before Cyberpunk 2077). I'm probably going to stick with this card and not return it. Going back to 2060 Super would be painful at this point and getting another 3060 Ti quickly is unlikely.
my 3070 zotac mini oc @ 1950ish boost never goes above 75. thats at 100% fan and it has only 2 fans and a smaller heat sink.. oh but i leave the side off the case.

hella funny, ill be selling this one since i got a ftw ultra 3080 in a week,

Sounds like a poor airflow problem but, have you considered just rmaing it to the manufacturer instead of newegg for a replacement?

What temperatures is your room at? If it is winter that is far too hot.

My EVGA GTX 1070 and now EVGA 2070 only get into the upper 70s/low 80s temporarily and stay mostly quiet when it is 92F in the room. The 1070 was still practically noiseless, the 2070's cooler is a bit louder so when it is that hot I can hear it. But it isn't unbearable in the slightest. In winter they never make noticable noise and stay in the mid 70s easily when gaming.

Either your fan profile is set to be as quiet as possible, ambient temperatures are very high in your room, or there is something up with your airflow. Or maybe the cooler is just an underwhelming design.

Might want to see if there is a more aggressive fan profile for your card.

The fans on my RTX 3060 Ti are not running when I'm idle but as a said they ramp up very quickly when I start a game. Once I hit about 77C the fans on card are running at 100%. With my RTX 2060 Super I only hit 68C at load with the same case and setup. Our house is at about 68F (or 20C). I have fairly good cooling for my case. I have 2 noctua NF-A14 fans sucking in and 2 noctua NF-A14 fans pushing out. I was expecting the RTX 3060 Ti to get a bit hotter with it only being a 2 fan card vs. my 2060 Super which is 3 fans, but not this hot.

Those noctua's spitting hot air from you aio into the case?

Well i took mine apart and re applied the paste. took like 1 or 2c off the temps. i found the thermal tape was barely touching one vrm. i fixed it.
one little tiny black squares on the end of the line of vrms.
have a good oc and max at 75c 2055/7800 it doesn't fluctuate much at all since the bios update.
unless you are able to remove the heatsink without losing your warrenty i would rma it then.
could be bad thermal paste application or heat sink not making proper contact.

Those noctua's spitting hot air from you aio into the case?

Well i took mine apart and re applied the paste. took like 1 or 2c off the temps. i found the thermal tape was barely touching one vrm. i fixed it.
one little tiny black squares on the end of the line of vrms.
have a good oc and max at 75c 2055/7800 it doesn't fluctuate much at all since the bios update.
unless you are able to remove the heatsink without losing your warrenty i would rma it then.
could be bad thermal paste application or heat sink not making proper contact.
I have replaced factory thermal paste with Kryonaut thermal paste. It improved temps 3 - 4 C. Thermal paste was positioned well and making good contact contact with vrams and vrms.

hi, does anyone here have any idea what kind of thermal pads size it is at gigabyte 3060 eagle

Weren't the eagle coolers panned by several techtubers for their "basic" attention to detail?

Back