Gigabyte Reveals First GeForce RTX 3090 With a Blower Design

erek

[H]F Junkie
"Gigabyte hasn't revealed the clock speeds for the GeForce RTX 3090 Turbo 24G on its product page. However, the GeForce RTX 3090 Founders Edition clocks in at 1,395 MHz and flexes a boost clock that peaks to 1,695 MHz. Given the blower-style cooler, we don't expect Gigabyte's iteration to come with any factory overclocks.

The GeForce RTX 3090 Turbo 24G deviates from the Founders Edition in both video outputs and PCIe power connectors. Instead of the single HDMI 2.1 port and three DisplayPort 1.4a outputs, the GeForce RTX 3090 Turbo 24G provides two of each.

Not that it changes anything power-wise, but Gigabyte opted for two normal 8-pin PCIe power connectors rather than Nvidia's 12-pin PCIe power connector. The manufacturer conveniently placed both connectors at the rear of the graphics card."

1600465022668.png

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3090-blower-gpu

Nice. I know that most don't, but I actually like the blower-type coolers. They seem more reliable over the long term and are WAY more friendly when it comes to actually being able to use the PCIe slots below the card. Are they noisier? Sure. But with the number of high-RPM fans I already have in my case, that ship has already sailed.

Just need to make sure to keep them clean.
dustring.jpg

This would be the only 3090 I would want other than the FE. They definitely got the power connector location correct!

Looks like a good normal size. Classy design too. Might be the one I pick up.

Reactions: erek
like this
This is perfect for 4u number crunching rigs. The power connectors on the back really help as well as when they are on the side it's tough to fit the lid on some cases with fans.

This would be the only 3090 I would want other than the FE. They definitely got the power connector location correct!

Its a step in the right directions but I’d like to see it on the other side closer to the MB. You could route the PSU cables basically exactly like you would the motherboard power. Get a motherboard with a side mount connector and not top down and you’d be set.

Blowers aren’t loud in airflow constrained cases. In fact, they’re often quieter. I was hoping for a triple slot blower though.

Before I had my 1080Ti all of my previous cards were reference blower designs from Nvidia. At stock settings they were pretty quiet but had higher temperatures. Overclocking the 980Ti made it noticeably louder though. That being said, I'd still go for the 3090 FE over anything else.

this thing will be loud as hell, but that's not why people buy these. This'll get bought because it's compact, exhausts ALL the hot air out of the chassis, and allows for higher density than open-air designs. Also blower cards are good for clean diy AIO conversions so there's that

edit to add- three-slot blower would be cool too, tho that erases the "compactness" advantage of this type...

My blower style GTX 670 sounded like a harrier jump jet.

It all depends on your case and airflow needs.My blower 570s and 980ti weren’t loud at all in the FT01 and NCASE M1 respectively. My RX590 axial fan cooler is much louder in my Evolve Shift than my blower 5700XT. My axial fan MSI Aero ITX is dead silent in my MI-6.

No pun intended, but each case will be different so there is no black and white answer.

This is a bit old, but still accurate.

And...

Last edited:
I can't imagine this thing not throttling under full load, even with max fan speed.

Depends on the size of the actual heatsink under the shroud. Those images are renders and so are no help determining that, but if it's like AMD's blower designs with a hilariously tiny copper square under the big blower cover, it could be an issue.

If it can exhaust the hot air out of a case without sounding like a 737 then my interest is triggered.

If it can exhaust the hot air out of a case without sounding like a 737 then my interest is triggered.

350w and blower, I don't think Gigabyte can defy the law of physics. However, they should just include noise cancelling headphones and market the dB levels with headphones on (hmm think I miss my calling as Marketing person).

350w and blower, I don't think Gigabyte can defy the law of physics. However, they should just include noise cancelling headphones and market the dB levels with headphones on (hmm think I miss my calling as Marketing person).

Heh, I like your thinking. Ship it with a box of earplugs. "silence enhancers"

Back