Gigabyte Radeon RX580 Leaks

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Looks like Videocardz has some leaks up of what appears to be Gigabytes entire upcoming RX5xx line. If you enjoy leaked marketing renders of video cards and their boxes, this one is for you. In other news, it appears as if Gigabyte's "G1 Gaming" branding is out, and "Aorus" branding is in.

Why are they even releasing a paltry 4GB on the 580? Should be no less than 8GB, imo.
Lets hope the performance is amazing (Im not expecting it) but yeah the cards should all be 8GB. 4GB high end? No thank you. I suppose some people want horse power but game at 1080p though.

Edit: didn't realize this wasn't Vega until later.

Last edited:
G1 just for Nvidia maybe? Sounds way better to me that whatever that is.

Please tell me they are just rebranding the RX480 and these aren't the vega models. It sure looks that way by the suggested memory configurations.

HBM2 should have a 16 GB offering.

Why are they even releasing a paltry 4GB on the 580? Should be no less than 8GB, imo.

Well, to me the question is (and maybe I just don't know because I haven't been keeping up) but just WHAT is the RX580?

I mean, Raja did say at GDC that Vega would be named RX Vega, not RX5xx, so we aren't talking Vega here.

Is this just a Polaris refresh?

Holy Polaris Batman!

Well, to me the question is (and maybe I just don't know because I haven't been keeping up) but just WHAT is the RX580?

Its a RX 480 Rebrand. Not the Vega. Basically its a fleshed out RX 480 on steroids.

In other news, it appears as if Gigabyte's "G1 Gaming" branding is out, and "Aorus" branding is in.

Serious question, who cares about "branding"? Does that ever really come into anyone's decision? If it said "G1" instead of "Aurus" would you be less likely to buy a product that was otherwise exactly the same thing? The letters on a tag matter exactly 0% in my purchasing decision.

I don't see the point of doing a refresh of the 480... the card hasn't even been out a year yet and is light years behind NVidia's flagship.

Serious question, who cares about "branding"? Does that ever really come into anyone's decision? If it said "G1" instead of "Aurus" would you be less likely to buy a product that was otherwise exactly the same thing? The letters on a tag matter exactly 0% in my purchasing decision.

I think the look of the thing might matter...I'm not a fan of ASUS ROG's branding. I like the products, but I really don't need a 10ft red LED projected "R.O.G" logo on my wall every time the thing turns on. Or a logo projected onto my desk surface from the monitor stand. I don't care about the actual name itself though.

Unless of course you're looking for an elusive "Golden Sample" branding.

Shhhh...don't spread common sense or the demand for marketing degrees will collapse.

It really shouldn't but having something that sounds cool when you say it , has always been a selling point with all types of products. Miss the days of video card brandings like Viper, Prophet, Terminator & Voodoo.

To be honest seriously misguided branding can put me off.
Branding creates a product image. And if it's wrong you're not buying it. Sure if pricing and features beats everything I wouldn't care either what is says on it. But if there are two similarly priced products with similar features. I'll go for the one with the more appealing branding, even if it's slightly more expensive.

Why? Nvidia just did the same thing with their relaunch of the Titan Xp.....

I think it's a bit different. Nvidia is light-years ahead right now, they can afford to do this kind of thing. AMD's current newest/fastest offering is less than half the speed, and this new card with a 5-10% boost isn't going to close that gap.

I think it's a bit different. Nvidia is light-years ahead right now, they can afford to do this kind of thing. AMD's current newest/fastest offering is less than half the speed, and this new card with a 5-10% boost isn't going to close that gap.

AMD's offering a lightyears cheaper also...

Its the exact same thing. All it is, is a product relaunch, happens every development cycle. Intel & AMD both just did it with the 7xxx & Ryzen 5 processors.

As far as closing the gap, AMD doesn't have to. They own the mainstream graphics market at affordable prices. This has been their business model for years.

Last edited:

Its the exact same thing. All it is, is a product relaunch, happens every development cycle. Intel & AMD both just did it with the 7xxx & Ryzen 5 processors.

As far as closing the gap, AMD doesn't have to. They own the mainstream graphics market at affordable prices. This has been their business model for years.

That's their "advertised" business model because they haven't been able to get a card out to top Nvidia in years. They would rather own the high end and eat up all that extra profit than just sell to the low-end market and deal with razor-thin margins.

Nvidia's releases of the Titan X, Ti, and Titan Xp were all calculated for fucking our wallets. I fell for it, twice, BUT, BUT, BUT, at least I got performance.

I'm glad I have enough money to make these awful decisions, though. Life could be worse. I could be contemplating buying this AMD 480 refresh. :ROFLMAO:

So the 580 is now a rebranded 480, which was a rebranded 380 which was some respin of the 290... or something along those lines?

Maybe tiny incremental performance boosts here and there, but jesus christ AMD, show us something new, it's been a few years.

So the 580 is now a rebranded 480, which was a rebranded 380 which was some respin of the 290... or something along those lines?

Maybe tiny incremental performance boosts here and there, but jesus christ AMD, show us something new, it's been a few years.
no the 480 was new. The 380 was more akin to the fury.

My issue with rebrands is that they are explicitly created to suggest to the uneducated that it's newer (and worth more $$$) than otherwise. Now, sure, "a fool and his money", but it strikes me as excessively predatory to the casual crowd: folks buying prebuilt systems, a gift for the kids, something to stick in that old Dell...

Of course there are legitimate reasons to buy a refresh, but I'd wager most people making a conscious decision would just buy the original (in this case, 480) because of a slight price drop trying to clear the shelves for essentially the same thing. Doesn't change the fact that a big percentage of buyers are those who haven't yet found the right places to frequent online.

My issue with rebrands is that they are explicitly created to suggest to the uneducated that it's newer (and worth more $$$) than otherwise. Now, sure, "a fool and his money", but it strikes me as excessively predatory to the casual crowd: folks buying prebuilt systems, a gift for the kids, something to stick in that old Dell...

Of course there are legitimate reasons to buy a refresh, but I'd wager most people making a conscious decision would just buy the original (in this case, 480) because of a slight price drop trying to clear the shelves for essentially the same thing. Doesn't change the fact that a big percentage of buyers are those who haven't yet found the right places to frequent online.

Or for people in the know to tell the difference between the original release and refresh. Supposedly there have been some process tweaks and 580 will clock higher and/or use less power.

Nope, not even close as I own both, and the 380 is less than half the speed of a R9 Fury Non X.
I mean architecture wise not as a rebrand. As he stated that the 480 and 380 were the same /rebrands but I was just stating that they aren't even the same architecture level ie: GCN1,2,3 or 1,1.1,1.2,1.3.

Please tell me they are just rebranding the RX480 and these aren't the vega models. It sure looks that way by the suggested memory configurations.

HBM2 should have a 16 GB offering.

They are RX480 rebrands with some minor optimizations: 8-pin power, better yields from process maturation resulting in slightly higher clocks and a cheaper price point.

I mean architecture wise not as a rebrand. As he stated that the 480 and 380 were the same /rebrands but I was just stating that they aren't even the same architecture level ie: GCN1,2,3 or 1,1.1,1.2,1.3.
Ok, this isn't correct.
A rebrand is when is you take an existing part in an outgoing generation under one nomenclature, and rename it to fit into a new generation with a new nomenclature. EX. 200 series hawaii chips/revisions rebranded in 300 series. An RX480 is not a rebrand of a 380. They are different chips.

Exactly, IT makes sense to refresh and relaunch the 480, so it occupies a cheaper price level, and vega in a higher price point.
But... what are the prices of this line anyway?
(Ive looked couldn't find)

Last edited:
Ok, this isn't correct.
A rebrand is when is you take an existing part in an outgoing generation under one nomenclature, and rename it to fit into a new generation with a new nomenclature. EX. 200 series hawaii chips/revisions rebranded in 300 series. An RX480 is not a rebrand of a 380. They are different chips.
Fair enough, refresh. (I will edit my post)

Fair enough, refresh. (I will edit my post)

380 -> 480 is not a refresh either.

The 480 was a completely new and different product.

A refresh, would be keeping the same product name, but improving the function a bit.

A rebrand is updating the name, while not changing the product.

Some uninformed people on here. The Polaris series are not aimed at competing with the 1080 or even the 1070. The 500 series is basically polaris with higher clocks and faster memory and for the mainstream market under $300. VEGA is intended to compete with 1080,etc so pointless trying to say AMD can't compete against Nvidia's highend because they are releasing a polaris refresh.

Box art and sample cards (Woo!).

Lets see some performance numbers and actual cards. This is partially why I'm waiting until the end of the year to replace my 980.

And still behind in overall business performance. When are they going to change their business model?
Halo products sell high profit mainstream products, because people will over spend to get close to what the top product is i.e. 1080/1080Ti. AMD can own whatever part of the market, but with razor thin profit margins it means nothing. Their R&D will continue to be a generation behind.

Any business that undercuts prices to compete will suffer poor business health.

I wonder how Sam Walton would feel about that if he were still alive.

Relating AMD to death seems appropriate.
It's hard to undercut when you are basically getting your chips from the same chip fab.

Walmart undercuts because they produce their own product.
AMD has to approach the same chip fabs as Nvidia. Slim margins.

As it's been stated this is a Polaris Refresh. Not a big deal but tweaked clocks, lower voltage maybe as well.

Aesthetics are changed like the Gigabyte Aorus to match current Aorus boards etc.

If someone already has gpu in this perf tier no, it's probably not the card for you..

Building a new system? Have a 200ish gpu budget? Have a look at these and 1060s.

Box art and sample cards (Woo!).

Lets see some performance numbers and actual cards. This is partially why I'm waiting until the end of the year to replace my 980.

You said it hang for a bit longer with the 980.
Honestly to make it worthwhile to replace your 980 you are at 1070 at least. So wait to see what Vega brings if you can rock the 980 for a bit. Still a fine gpu.

Back