Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 $385.91 + tax AC Newegg

jolli

Gawd
Last edited:
There's currently another 5% off code through Newegg Mobile or m.newegg.com. Enter MBLEMCNV5 at checkout. Ends 11/8.

I'm almost positive they can't be stacked, but hey, consider it a backup. And it can *only* be used on the Newegg Mobile app or the mobile Newegg site.

DAMN...I just bought a R9 290 on Tuesday. Wonder if they'll comp me the $15?

Either way, I'm more then happy with the card (rush shipping....its already installed :)). For $385, this is a crazy deal.

I love the competition we have now. It's hard to believe I paid over $650 bucks for one 780 when two of these, just a few months later, isn't much more. And it's faster! :)

I love the competition we have now. It's hard to believe I paid over $650 bucks for one 780 when two of these, just a few months later, isn't much more. And it's faster! :)

Not so sure I'd declare "two of these aren't much more" than a 780. You've got a larger power supply to consider, the cards dump more heat and suck more power and are louder, and there's microstutter with Crossfire.

Been there/done that on the trying to get two cheaper cards to get performance of single expensive card.. Now I stick with single cards, less headache.

Yep just got 2 Sapphires grand total $760 shipped 2-day with shoprunner :) Thanks for the heads up!

SUCCESS!

I had bought an MSI 290 on Tuesday, one day before the promotion. I figured it was worth a shot to ask Newegg customer support if they would honor the discount. AND THEY DID!

So in total, I'm getting a $20 credit processed to my original card of purchase.

Bonus points for Newegg.

And a R9 290 for $380 is a killer deal, reference card and all.

Don't mind DPI, browse around the Video Card subforum and you will see him in just about every AMD thread wearing his Green Shirt. I really don't understand all this flamethrowing from either side.

Thanks for the find OP! I'm with the above posters though, let's see a Twin Frozr!

There's currently another 5% off code through Newegg Mobile or m.newegg.com. Enter MBLEMCNV5 at checkout. Ends 11/8.

Frigg'n sweet! :D

I had missed out the last time GTA was on sale (I think it was all GTA games for $12?) and noticed that NewEgg had the complete GTA4 collection for $9. Used this code to bring it down a bit - but it is better than nothing. Sure I would have liked the other games but in all honesty I was never a big fan of anything before San Andreas - even then that game has to be downgraded just to support wide screen and the XBOX 360 controller.

I had missed out the last time GTA was on sale (I think it was all GTA games for $12?) and noticed that NewEgg had the complete GTA4 collection for $9. Used this code to bring it down a bit - but it is better than nothing. Sure I would have liked the other games but in all honesty I was never a big fan of anything before San Andreas - even then that game has to be downgraded just to support wide screen and the XBOX 360 controller.

I'm sure this has something to do with something.

i need to sell my m11x r2 with upgrades asap... i want a 290 =[

Don't mind DPI, browse around the Video Card subforum and you will see him in just about every AMD thread wearing his Green Shirt. I really don't understand all this flamethrowing from either side.

Thanks for the find OP! I'm with the above posters though, let's see a Twin Frozr!

Not to mention that everyone let him slide on the intentional (anti-amd) misunderstanding that the op was comparing the PERFORMANCE of two 290s to one 780 (ridiculous, they blow it out of the water, more so at 4k) when he was actually comparing the PRICE.

I don't engage in the fan wars (though I might have to if I get a 290x...) but I do argue for a living and something about that blatant misrepresentation brought me out of hibernation

Newegg is like the "invasion of the body snatchers". They draw you in with false promises, then boom the pod (Newegg) spits you out but keeps your money. New way... to do business.

Just ordered a Sapphire R9 290 for $386 using the code.. Thanks for the heads up!!

Well that sucks. I just bought a 280 a week ago. For $80 more it would've definitely been worth going to the 290!

Another 7970 to run crossfire or one of these? Which is the better route to go. I already have a 7970

Another 7970 to run crossfire or one of these? Which is the better route to go. I already have a 7970

r9 290. Performance is awesome with just one of these. You can always add another one, down the line.

Well, I have 7970 cfx and I just ordered a 290 to replace it, and then down the road I'll add another one :D That's my solution!

May be time to put down the mushrooms because you have me confused with someone else, here's the extent of my involvement in the Video Card subforum. Off ya go: http://hardforum.com/search.php?searchid=24790375

Meanwhile my point still stands that performance differences don't exist in a vacuum and there are other considerations to the notion that "two cheap cards is better than one expensive card, therefore expensive card is pointless". Its not brain surgery here, and anyone that's dealt with multiple cards in SLI or Crossfire knows what I'm talking about. Additional power and heat and noise and PSU considerations have f*ckall to do with brand preference.

I just bought a 290x for 585, am I going to see a big difference with overclocking this card versus buying a regular 290 and overclocking it? I am running on 2560x1440.

I just bought a 290x for 585, am I going to see a big difference with overclocking this card versus buying a regular 290 and overclocking it? I am running on 2560x1440.

No, I would not think so at all..

I made the jump last thurs and bought an MSI R9 290 -- and I'm already running a 7970 crossfire setup. I went thru tiger direct because Newegg didn't have the brand i wanted (bad experience with XFX, I'm a huge fan of MSI)

I'll be down on raw GPU power till i add a 2nd 290, but will be super happy I will have dual DVD-DL on a single card that will allow me to push my 1440p monitors without crossfire freaking out and causing system issues.

After tons of reading -- I will say too I went with the 290 (non X model) because the extra 3fps in BF4 couldn't justify spending an extra 150 dollars. Even if I got marginal overclocking out of my 290 (it arrives in 2 days) I will be a happy camper and pretty much at the same level as a 290x

Can someone clear this up for me? How many monitors can a single r9 290 push, 2, 3, 4? Any special hardware needed like I needed with my 7970 aka display port adapter thingy? Same question regarding 780's.

Can someone clear this up for me? How many monitors can a single r9 290 push, 2, 3, 4? Any special hardware needed like I needed with my 7970 aka display port adapter thingy? Same question regarding 780's.

depends on what resolution you plan on running -- if you are using cheapo display port adatpters you can't do ultra HD resolutions without going active adapter (aka $$$)

I heard you could power 6 displays off the 290 - 2DVI, 1HDMI, and a daisy chained 3x display port off the one on the card. Don't quote me on that though.

My 290 is running 3 displays using 2x DVI and 1x HDMI. I am NOT using any DP adapters. This is a change from my 6970, which required a display port adapter for the third monitor.

I believe the card can run 6 screens, though the last three will all be coming from the display port.

depends on what resolution you plan on running -- if you are using cheapo display port adatpters you can't do ultra HD resolutions without going active adapter (aka $$$)

I heard you could power 6 displays off the 290 - 2DVI, 1HDMI, and a daisy chained 3x display port off the one on the card. Don't quote me on that though.

My 290 is running 3 displays using 2x DVI and 1x HDMI. I am NOT using any DP adapters. This is a change from my 6970, which required a display port adapter for the third monitor.

I believe the card can run 6 screens, though the last three will all be coming from the display port.

Yep I had to buy a active DP adapter for $30 with my sapphire 7970 dual x card to get 3 monitors, should have done my homework beforehand.

Thanks for the replies.

Back