Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce on Newegg

Agreed... as expected and disappointed. With all AMD video cards at all time high the green team prices don't look as bad right now. That will change eventually... but the question is when this coin craze will die back down. I have a 7950 right now, but will probably go play on the green team for a bit until their prices settle down later next year.

And I'm just trying to find 290/290x cheap to put them on water :/ Blah...

$579 ?! They're on drugs.

Give it a week before that comes down.
MSRP is probably $429...

You can MasterPass it to $529 if you buy ASAP.

Last edited:
yeah im over this litecoin price boosting. I was gonna give amd another chance. Im just saving up for a windforce 780 ti or hell just waiting for the next generation again.

Wow, not exactly the price I was hoping for. Unfortunately it was the price I was expecting, considering how the 79xx series cards are still selling for close to $400 used.

Guess I'm going green this Christmas.

fu$king New Egg. Well, hopefully this will drop price soon, I am in the market but these are getting released so late/stupid lite coin inflation and I might jut wait for the next gen.

For this price, I rather just get a 780TI for 130 bucks more.

product that is so popular it's sold out everywhere.
Some people like elephants so they can be killed, and their ivory tusks can be sold for profit.
Other people like elephants because they're beautiful and majestic creatures, fun to ride, play with, and watch.

Just because both of these groups of people like elephants, doesn't mean we like them for the same reasons, and one group being more malicious than the other.
You call it "capitalism", I call it a few people ruining my Christmas because they think they can make a quick buck.

Last edited:
There's plenty of 290/X's on newegg in stock right now. It's not hard to find. There's no reason why they still have the ridiculous price right now. Team Green is better value right now, lol.

Lol! Glad I didn't wait, got my gtx 780 for 420. Current crushing gangsters in maxed Payne. :)

I am starting to think that I should have jumped on that 780 for $420 deal. Damn that was a great deal

I am starting to think that I should have jumped on that 780 for $420 deal. Damn that was a great deal
You can still do it for $459 for the MSI, the others are down to $449. EVGA, Galaxy, and Gigabyte are $499 base price (no MIR).
Masterpass should still work.

Should it be around 450~475 atleast?
ASUS 290x is $20 over MSRP ($570), that would put AIB 290's at $419.

LOL yes it's overpriced compared to what the 290 was at launch in reference trim. Some of you have very short memories - what were you happy to pay for a 780 prior to the 290 launch when nV could charge what they wanted? Or all the tragics that bought Titans for a gorilla each?

It's all relative. Wait a bit and demand will drop as production ramps up or they can't sell the cards at that price point. AMD reset the GPU pricing model and in a good way for us.

OTOH I'm very happy I decided to pull the trigger on a Sapphire reference 290 for $478 AUD a few weeks ago.

Christ, that's like $180 over the reference card I got at its launch. Honestly I wouldn't mind buying the heatsink off a watercooler trying to get rid of it.

Watching as the new cards are announced, NewEgg continually ramping up their pre-Christmas price, and the utter folly of people stating $X is too expensive, Team Green is 'only' a hundred bucks more, so I'll buy that instead. Immediately before Christmas. In a *coin mining boom. <shakes head> Why do people need to upgrade RIGHT NOW? INSTANT GRATIFICATION is why video cards get expensive upon release (admittedly, this is the wildest time I've EVER seen with new video card releases price gouging).

Wait for new year, see how it pans out. It's gotta come down eventually.

First GPU upgrade in 4 years.
I need to get rid of this 5870...

I'd live with it for a month or so, TBH there's f&*k all worth playing right now anyway. The only reason I upgraded from a 7850 was because I bought a QNIX 2710 and needed a card that would drive it.

Still, it's better to wait, at this precise time of year.

I do understand the lure of The Shiny, but Buyers Remorse is a well documented side effect of instant gratification. If you're willing to spend the money, and want it before Christmas, then do what you want to, but if you're -really- after the 290/290x, and you're willing to pay RRP (rather than rip-off moneygrubbing prices), WAIT until the new year.

You've been using the same graphics card for four years, what difference is a couple of weeks going to make? $US400 instead of $US529. vs 'screw them, I'm going to spend $650 on the 780ti' ...

If you want to spend the money, don't listen to anyone, just do it.

(and people coming back to my comment with 'you can get 780ti's for $649 dude!' yeah yeah, not really the point of the comparison eh!).

Watching as the new cards are announced, NewEgg continually ramping up their pre-Christmas price, and the utter folly of people stating $X is too expensive, Team Green is 'only' a hundred bucks more, so I'll buy that instead. Immediately before Christmas. In a *coin mining boom. <shakes head> Why do people need to upgrade RIGHT NOW? INSTANT GRATIFICATION is why video cards get expensive upon release (admittedly, this is the wildest time I've EVER seen with new video card releases price gouging).

Wait for new year, see how it pans out. It's gotta come down eventually.

why now? because people buy gifts around christmas? weird concept huh?

Some people like elephants so they can be killed, and their ivory tusks can be sold for profit.
Other people like elephants because they're beautiful and majestic creatures, fun to ride, play with, and watch.

Just because both of these groups of people like elephants, doesn't mean we like them for the same reasons, and one group being more malicious than the other.
You call it "capitalism", I call it a few people ruining my Christmas because they think they can make a quick buck.

if your christmas is really ruined because you can't get your hands on a "cheap" 290... then i feel sorry for you.

I also find it hilarious you bitching about capitalism in action and how all those evil coin miners are ruining things... but then you turn right around and express how you not receiving a physical good that you don't actually need will ruin your holidays. Seems like this christmas you love is the biggest face card for this capitalism you hate so much.

I bought two 290's for ~380 dollars each free shipping... where were you when they were cheap?

I'm on a 7870 and really wanted an aftermarket cooled R9 290. Many of us have been patiently waiting so this is a major dissapointment. Guess ill be waiting longer, or just giving up on this generation. The sad thing is this isn't AMDs fault and they are the ones going to lose customers to the Green team. Oh well what can you do.

Well now its looking like this, or the Tri-X will be the card to buy, MSI/ASUS/HIS don't have proper VRM cooling on their AIB cards from what I've been reading on OCN.

I'm on a 7870 and really wanted an aftermarket cooled R9 290. Many of us have been patiently waiting so this is a major dissapointment.

Stay with that 7870. I have a 290 and it's too hot for my liking. Newegg can eat a big one no way would I pay that much.

Wow, not exactly the price I was hoping for. Unfortunately it was the price I was expecting, considering how the 79xx series cards are still selling for close to $400 used.

I see a lot of cards used for less. If craigslist doesn't scare you.

LOL!! $699 in Canada. I Wonder what these clowns will do when peopel stop buying cards since litecoin prices are less than half of what they were when this craze started?

No, mining craze. All of the AMD cards went up $100-150 due to mining demand.

I was replying to the guy that said WHY BUY NOW? INSTANT GRATIFICATION!

my point is Christmas is a heavy buying period even if the cards just came out now or 2 months ago.

if your christmas is really ruined because you can't get your hands on a "cheap" 290... then i feel sorry for you.

I bought two 290's for ~380 dollars each free shipping... where were you when they were cheap?

You bought a pair of cards immediately the week they were released? Without waiting to see if their were production problems? Without waiting to see the non-reference cooler performance numbers?

You spent $US800 on a couple of video cards, and you're crowing about it because to buy those exact same cards today would cost you $US1,100?

Sigh.

It's nice you were able to score the video cards at below RRP, when they have been above RRP for the last 5 weeks or so (go check history on NewEgg prices for evidence). It's nice you're happy to put up with sub-standard cooling, and the concomitant noise and heat issues, especially if you put two into the same machine. It's nice that you had the -option- to buy immediately.

Here in Australia, the day 1 prices for the R9-290's was $AU499 (some cards were $AU475). Even with our dollar disparity and 10% Goods and Services tax, that was still an increase over the $US399 RRP. These days, $AU499 is a bargain, compared to the $US529 'NewEgg' pre-Christmas moneygrubbing. I'm still not jumping on the bandwagon though. Not yet.

I think you were extremely fortunate to score a bargain. I think you're extremely impolite to crow about your good fortune, to a fellow gamer who has decided upon what they want to get, but can't find one 'reasonably priced' because of demand and price gouging and the time of year. EXTREMELY impolite.

I'm biding my time until the new year, to see how much the non-reference cooler cards sell for. I'm hoping that the price will be more reasonable once the Christmas rush is gone. If the price stays unreasonable, I'll just stick with what I have.

If I could buy a reference R9 290 for $US380 -today- I would still hold off for the non-reference design cards, coming in January next year.

I don't think you were smart to get yours early. Just fortunate/lucky.

I also find it hilarious you bitching about capitalism in action and how all those evil coin miners are ruining things... but then you turn right around and express how you not receiving a physical good that you don't actually need will ruin your holidays. Seems like this christmas you love is the biggest face card for this capitalism you hate so much.

I knew I wanted a 290, so I would have definitely paid $399 for one at any point.
Unfortunately I value noise over everything else, so I'm not going to touch a ref 290/290x with a 10 foot pole.

It just so happens the LTC boom happened before the non-refs got released. So that puts me in a pickle, doesn't it? And it's certainly not my fault, it's not as if I "accidentally" waited.

Even if the refs magically turned back to $399 right now, I'd still choose to wait.
The only other option is to buy Nvidia, which is a non-starter for me personally.

I'm not interested in the Windforce, so the cards I want to buy aren't even released yet. If they're back down to MSRP in January when the rest of the non-refs launch, then the whole LTC issue will have had no affect on me whatsoever.

Last edited:
I knew I wanted a 290, so I would have definitely paid $399 for one at any point.
Unfortunately I value noise over everything else, so I'm not going to touch a ref 290/290x with a 10 foot pole.

It just so happens the LTC boom happened before the non-refs got released. So that puts me in a pickle, doesn't it? And it's certainly not my fault, it's not as if I "accidentally" waited.

Even if the refs magically turned back to $399 right now, I'd still choose to wait.
The only other option is to buy Nvidia, which is a non-starter for me personally.

I'm not interested in the Windforce, so the cards I want to buy aren't even released yet. If they're back down to MSRP in January when the rest of the non-refs launch, then the whole LTC issue will have had no affect on me whatsoever.

Clearly noise isnt #1 for you, because then reference would be fine.. as you would be watercooling it. ;)

Back