Gigabyte P55M-UD2 Dead: Should I exchange or get the UD4

black0ut

Gawd
First off, I need to get an matx board.

I just built a new i5 750 rig with the P55M-UD2, and was running prime @ 3.5ghz, 1.25 VTT, 1.33 QPI. It made this high pitched squealing noise when it was under 100% load, and after about 2 minutes, the entire computer turned off and I saw burn marks on the mosfets.

I've been doing a bit of googling, and I only found a few cases of this, so I want to know: can this board handle 24/7 1.375 VTT, 1.35 QPI? I'd like to hit 4.0ghz; maybe the UD4 would be better (but I really don't need all those extra features, and it's like $40 more).

Also: my gskill 1600 ripjaws would not do a mhz over 1600, even at stock timings and 1.64V. Could that have been because of the mobo?

I look forward to your update. I was going to use the UD2 in my next build.

Well, UD4 is performing much better than the UD2. Best of all, it's not making any squealing noises at all!

RAM performed the same, so that's no biggy. I thought the UD4 was BCLK limited because it wouldn't even POST at 140 BCLK, but for some reason that went away after a few reboots, and now I'm sitting nice and pretty at 20x200, prime95ed for 24 hours. I'm still kind of bummed that I paid extra pretty much for the 12+2 phase, but since it's not dying, I guess I can't complain.

Btw, I'm still not sure if I got a dud board or not, and if I wasn't in a hurry, I would've bought another UD2 instead.

Back