Gigabyte MoBo And AMD FX

Jpat

Limp Gawd
Hey there, I recently got a massive donation of used computer parts from a shut down computer shop. 95% of it is Pentium 4, its like 25 different GPUs, 10 Mobos, 500 sticks of ram. Just a mass of stuff that will pick the best of for my collection and send the rest away

Anyway the most modern Mobo I found in the lot is a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P, and it has an AMD FX with a 2011 stamp on it. The most modern GPU I found is an MSI with 1gig of ram
amd2.jpg
amd.jpg

Msi.jpg

Here is a small spec sheet on the Mobo

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-DS3P-rev-2x#ov

Anyway my wife wants a PC for facebook, watching youtube, and doing taxes on. Even with this stuff being 9 years old would it be a good candidate for windows 10, and HD video streaming? ive tried researching It myself but I cant get the real life information I need.

Thank you very much !

Iam not familiar with modern PCs, and I have Zero experience with AMD

Yes this is to totally capable. I have one in my kitchen streaming YouTube and yahoo finance when I cook and it has no issues doing those tasks. The fx6300 is a low budget, 6-core (sort of) cpu so if that will work fine, but the board only takes gpu with pci express connection, so make sure you do that.

Yes this is to totally capable. I have one in my kitchen streaming YouTube and yahoo finance when I cook and it has no issues doing those tasks. The fx6300 is a low budget, 6-core (sort of) cpu so if that will work fine, but the board only takes gpu with pci express connection, so make sure you do that.
sweet! i ordered 1 stick of 4gb ddr3 for testing, if it works ill order 3 more ddr3 4gb. 16gb should be plenty?

it only uses pci express for GPUs, wow i hope i have one!

if i start up the mobo without any ram will it display anything or start posting whatso ever?

if i start up the mobo without any ram will it display anything or start posting whatso ever?

I wouldn't think so. I also don't think the AMD chips have built in video, so you will need one of those 1gb pcie cards you showed above. 16gb is more than enough.

16gb is more than enough for YouTube and Facebook. I think the Nvidia card, the one with the green shroud, is a pci express card.

as stated 16gb is plenty, 8 gb would do. re the 6300, with a 212 on there id put money on it clocking to 4.5 no prob. 1gb gpu should do 1080p video no prob and yes windows 10 would run just fine on it. id suggest a ssd though. it'll be a good youtube/movie/fb/taxes machine.

That's all awesome! Thanks very much everyone for the help. I will be cleaning and getting everything ready tomorrow. I have an awesome giant early 2000s gaming PC case that is really over the top ridiculous. it should be a fun and funny project

Alrite so I did a small inspection of the Nvidia video card I was suggested to use and a capacitor was broken off the board so that goes in the repair bin for now. The next most modern GPU I found is a Radeon HD6450. it has DVI VGA and HDMI which is a plus for me, and 1gb ddr3
And it is PCiE

Spec sheet here: https://www.cnet.com/products/sapphire-radeon-hd-6450-graphics-card-radeon-hd-6450-1-gb/

Card2.jpg

The case is a cooler master, its ugly but has hilarious 2005 gaming charm
case.jpg

One more question, what is the mounting style for the CPU cooler? I need to order one

One more question, what is the mounting style for the CPU cooler? I need to order one

The board looks like its missing those 2 bracket thingies that normally go around the socket for the stock cooler to grab onto, which you dont need if using an aftermarket cooler (typically).

As for the CPU and GPU, the CPU should be fine for basic tasks, looks like a 6 core FX series, and i have a dumb little ESXI box running one of the 8 core version that does well enough. If the GPU youre using is a 6450, dont expect much more than playing youtube, even runescape can bring this card to its knees :)

Alrite so I did a small inspection of the Nvidia video card I was suggested to use and a capacitor was broken off the board so that goes in the repair bin for now. The next most modern GPU I found is a Radeon HD6450. it has DVI VGA and HDMI which is a plus for me, and 1gb ddr3
And it is PCiE

Spec sheet here: https://www.cnet.com/products/sapphire-radeon-hd-6450-graphics-card-radeon-hd-6450-1-gb/

The case is a cooler master, its ugly but has hilarious 2005 gaming charm
View attachment 246434
That's a thermaltake Tsunami. I had one; dates back to 2005. OLD school shit. Love hate relationship with that thing from back then.

Back