Gigabyte HD6770 Silent Cell card + case issues

ShepsCrook

[H]F Junkie
So I picked up one of these cards on CL and attempted to pop it into my case. Sadly, the heatsink is just so massive on this card that the case would not work. Has anyone ever put one of these in their HTPC and if so, what case did they use? Please no standard tower suggestions.

a_gigabyte_6770_silent_video_card-600x551.jpg

I would imagine that this would fit in a Silverstone Sg05 but need to know more about your configuration like what size motherboard are you running and you need to make sure to have case airflow on something passive like that it will get pretty hot if you don't. Also why will it not fit, what case are you currently using. Is it a height or length or width problem because maybe you could do a case mod to make it fit.

So, the official full-height PCI spec is 107mm or 4.2 inches. This card is 172mm or 6.77 inches. For comparison, an ASUS GTX Titan is 4.376 inches in height.

I can't honestly think of a desktop-style case I've seen that would have that kind of clearance. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't even fit within a standard 4U rackmount case, and that's about as tall as horizontal-orientation cases are typically made. That card would probably be a tight fit even in most tower cases.

I am thinking I might put the card in, and leave the top off of the case.

Just cut off the excess piece at the top or take off the heatsink and bring it to a friend with a blow torch that could heat the pipe and bend it for your carefully so it sits perpendicular instead of in line.

Back