GIGABYTE GV-R927OC-2GD Power Consolidation

GreatestOne

Limp Gawd
Hey guys... I am using a few of these in my GA-990FXA-UD3 and one of the more annoying things is that these have TWO 6-pin power connectors, ugh... So....

1. Silly question but just in case, I assume both have to be used, esp when I will be running them at almost full load always.... have to ask

2. Maybe just as silly a question... can I use a 2 to 1 adapter, where the 2 ports get combined into one 6-pin that I can plug into my PSU? I see TigerDirect sell them for a few bucks

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7335520&CatId=82

3. Card only included 6pin to 2x molex power adapters, so if I run out of molex adapters from my PSU, I guess just get some SATA ones?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2568133&CatId=82

Any other suggestions are welcome......

Hey guys... I am using a few of these in my GA-990FXA-UD3 and one of the more annoying things is that these have TWO 6-pin power connectors, ugh... So....

1. Silly question but just in case, I assume both have to be used, esp when I will be running them at almost full load always.... have to ask

2. Maybe just as silly a question... can I use a 2 to 1 adapter, where the 2 ports get combined into one 6-pin that I can plug into my PSU? I see TigerDirect sell them for a few bucks

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7335520&CatId=82

3. Card only included 6pin to 2x molex power adapters, so if I run out of molex adapters from my PSU, I guess just get some SATA ones?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2568133&CatId=82

Any other suggestions are welcome......

Yes, Yes, and Yes...It's not the optimal setup (having all native 6 Pin Connectors) but since your PSU is a single rail unit (SeaSonic built) it shouldn't be an issue..I would actually stick with just using Molex to 6 Pin adapaters..

Exactly how many are you running? According to NE, you should have 4 Native 6 Pin connectors, so that will cover 2 of the cards..You should have 4 Molex connectors, so that will handle a third card...Unless you are running 4 (or more) then you should be fine..I don't think that PSU could handle 4 of them at full load with a CPU and other items anyway.

It actually annoys the shit outta me that Seasonic (and all the models they make for other compaines like your XFX) don't include more then 2 6 pin PCI-E adapters...I have the Seasonic Gold X850W, and I only have 2 included as well...

Last edited:
Yes, Yes, and Yes...It's not the optimal setup (having all native 6 Pin Connectors) but since your PSU is a single rail unit (SeaSonic built) it shouldn't be an issue..I would actually stick with just using Molex to 6 Pin adapaters..

Exactly how many are you running? According to NE, you should have 4 Native 6 Pin connectors, so that will cover 2 of the cards..You should have 4 Molex connectors, so that will handle a third card...Unless you are running 4 (or more) then you should be fine..I don't think that PSU could handle 4 of them at full load with a CPU and other items anyway.

Oops sorry, ignore my sig, this is for a new build!

The PSU's I am currently using for this are

CoolerMaster 750W RS-750-ACAA-A1 (only two 6-pin and five molex, sucks)
CORSAIR 400W CMPSU-400CX

But I will have to upgrade the 400W, will need a 600-700W I think, searching now.

My GPU's will be 3x7950 and 3x270, which will equal 12 6-pin ports in all. I was thinking of buying some 6-pin to sata adapters at least. The CPu draws 45W max, and I have no idea how much my Gigabyte mobo draws but I dont think its that much right?

Oops sorry, ignore my sig, this is for a new build!

The PSU's I am currently using for this are

CoolerMaster 750W RS-750-ACAA-A1 (only two 6-pin and five molex, sucks)
CORSAIR 400W CMPSU-400CX

But I will have to upgrade the 400W, will need a 600-700W I think, searching now.

My GPU's will be 3x7950 and 3x270, which will equal 12 6-pin ports in all. I was thinking of buying some 6-pin to sata adapters at least. The CPu draws 45W max, and I have no idea how much my Gigabyte mobo draws but I dont think its that much right?

Ok, so these are mining rigs then? I am not big fan of the CM PSU family..There newest line is better, but I had the 650W of the same family as your 750W, and there is no way it could do ~625W loaded 24/7..They aren't the greatest at all..It literally weighed 60% less then the old Corsair TX 750W (their budget unit at that) that replaced it! My X850W weighed almost 2X the TX 750W...That tells you a lot about the unit in itself..

I would grab a Seasonic (or XFX Black/Corsair AX) ~850W for the 3x 7950 rig..They are frequently on sale for $100 or less with MIR..I scored my X850W for ~$90 after MIR, $110 out the door from NE..IF you can afford it, it might be better to jump up to the X1050W unit..IT will give you the overhead to add another 79XX card and it comes with enough PCI-E conectors for 3 or 4 GPUs..

The great thing about the Seasonic X series is that they actually have support for another 2 or 3 PCI-E cables..You just need to buy the extra cabling from SeaSonic since they only include 2 sets..I think they figured that most users with the X750/850 are only going to be using dual GPUs so why waste the cost of including extra cabling...I actually ordered some Corsair white sleeved cabling to use with my X850W, just have to switch one pin around and then I won't be using my stock cabling at all..If you aren't in a hurry I could give them to you for a small fee/shipping.

For the 3X 270 rig, I would grab the SeaSonic 660W Platinum or X750W (again, top notch and will do it's full rated power nonstop 24/7)...If you don't want to buy 2 new PSUs, then use the CM 750 unit you have for the 3X 270 rig..

If we assume the 270s use 150~225W each (since they can draw 75W from the PCI-E slot, and 75W from each 6 PIN) that puts you @ 675W with JUST THE GPUs given the worst case scenario (225W each GPU). Add in ~100W for the CPU, MB, SSD/HDD, and fans, and we are at 775W worst case..If you are going to be mining 24/7 on these, then you can undervolt them quite a bit, which will reduce your power/heat as well...

Ok, so these are mining rigs then? I am not big fan of the CM PSU family..There newest line is better, but I had the 650W of the same family as your 750W, and there is no way it could do ~625W loaded 24/7..They aren't the greatest at all..It literally weighed 60% less then the old Corsair TX 750W (their budget unit at that) that replaced it! My X850W weighed almost 2X the TX 750W...That tells you a lot about the unit in itself..

I would grab a Seasonic (or XFX Black/Corsair AX) ~850W for the 3x 7950 rig..They are frequently on sale for $100 or less with MIR..I scored my X850W for ~$90 after MIR, $110 out the door from NE..IF you can afford it, it might be better to jump up to the X1050W unit..IT will give you the overhead to add another 79XX card and it comes with enough PCI-E conectors for 3 or 4 GPUs..

For the 3X 270 rig, I would grab the SeaSonic 660W Platinum or X750W (again, top notch and will do it's full rated power nonstop 24/7)...If you don't want to buy 2 new PSUs, then use the CM 750 unit you have for the 3X 270 rig..

If we assume the 270s use 150~225W each (since they can draw 75W from the PCI-E slot, and 75W from each 6 PIN) that puts you @ 675W with JUST THE GPUs given the worst case scenario (225W each GPU). Add in ~100W for the CPU, MB, SSD/HDD, and fans, and we are at 775W worst case..If you are going to be mining 24/7 on these, then you can undervolt them quite a bit, which will reduce your power/heat as well...

Thanks.... but I just ordered the Rosewill CAPSTONE-750... seems like the cheapest $100 gold there is with pretty good ratings at Amazon and egg. Couldnt find anything you listed for close to that price and wattage. And I know my CM is not the best, but I cant spend any more $$$ especially when this is a PSU I just have sitting around...

And btw this is all on my Gigabyte mobo, not 2 separate rigs.

With these, I guess I'l put the three 7950 on the old 750W (~600W usage of the 750, should be safe?) and the MB, CPU, and three 270's in the the Capstone. The only other thing is of course a flash drive running BAMT, nothing else.

I'll cancel the order if you can suggest a better one selling atm. FYI, I am more than willing to upgrade in the near future, just right now I am kinda bottlenecked for a few things. Thanks again.

Thanks.... but I just ordered the Rosewill CAPSTONE-750... seems like the cheapest $100 gold there is with pretty good ratings at Amazon and egg. Couldnt find anything you listed for close to that price and wattage. And I know my CM is not the best, but I cant spend any more $$$ especially when this is a PSU I just have sitting around...

And btw this is all on my Gigabyte mobo, not 2 separate rigs.

With these, I guess I'l put the three 7950 on the old 750W (~600W usage of the 750, should be safe?) and the MB, CPU, and three 270's in the the Capstone. The only other thing is of course a flash drive running BAMT, nothing else.

I'll cancel the order if you can suggest a better one selling atm. FYI, I am more than willing to upgrade in the near future, just right now I am kinda bottlenecked for a few things. Thanks again.

Oh, you are going to use a PSU splitter to power them..I thought you were doing 2 separate rigs..FWIW, I have read that 4 cards on a single board is usually pretty stable, but 5 or more is a clusterfuck a lot of the time to get every card working properly..

AS for the PSU, can you cancel the order and get this SilverStone 750W for $69?? It's OOS at NE, but again FWIW it had 4/5 rating with 91 reviews..SS usually makes solid uints..Also just found this LEPA 700W Gold for $75..

I think I am actually going to grab one myself to replace the no name POS in my Pop's rig since I grabbed a pair of 7850's for ~$100 each and they can mine away 24/7 in his system which has a nice low power Ivy Bridge Dual Core on a Z77 Board..

Last edited:
Oh, you are going to use a PSU splitter to power them..I thought you were doing 2 separate rigs..FWIW, I have read that 4 cards on a single board is usually pretty stable, but 5 or more is a clusterfuck a lot of the time to get every card working properly..

AS for the PSU, can you cancel the order and get this SilverStone 750W for $69?? It's OOS at NE, but again FWIW it had 4/5 rating with 91 reviews..SS usually makes solid uints..Also just found this LEPA 700W Gold for $75..

Ya I gonna use that Add2PSU.. and ya I can imagine having 6 on one board will be asking for trouble, but I'll handle that when it comes.

So you got something against Rosewill LOL... these guys charge tax for me and $11 shipping, so the gold will only be a few bucks cheaper... but you are saying the LEPA is still worth it even though its 50W less? The SilverStone seems to be just a plain 80+, so......

I think I am actually going to grab one myself to replace the no name POS in my Pop's rig since I grabbed a pair of 7850's for ~$100 each and they can mine away 24/7 in his system which has a nice low power Ivy Bridge Dual Core on a Z77 Board..

These guys u sent me to are freakin a-holes, or at least their "customer service" is. I accidentally ordered the SilverStone because I was dead tired and didnt even read through (was still up at 7am)... then I saw the word "Gold" later in your post a few minutes later and went back immediately to cancel that order and then order the Gold, which I think will be worth it. Sent them a message on it about 3 minutes after the first was submitted, so like at 7:03.

I dont get an email back from them until 12:30pm, and they say sorry, item is already packed and shipped, wtf... are u serious... then after another email back to them, THEN they say they can hold it and then ship me the other one, but before that, they say if I just wanted to cancel, they repeat they will charge me a restocking fee because they already "packaged it." So basically they wanna charge me because they are so incompetent they cant even check their emails more than once every 6 hours on a business day.

Also the stupid credit card charge wouldnt go through, kept sending me to Paypal and I finally buckled and went with it and then it charged my bank account and not my credit which is a pretty big problem for me right now. They didnt even address me on this on their replies, totally ignored it.

I guess I will be forced to buy the gold there, but I have never ordered hardware from such a pathetic excuse of a company who doesnt care about how to run a business properly. I buy tens of thousands $$$ worth of hardware per year and also refer just as much to others, always looking for an alternative to Newegg and Amazon... I guess I'll keep looking.

Sorry....EOR... I know its not your fault, but I will be glad to give those bigger stores some extra money if it means I dont give a penny more to these morons.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Their last reply:

"Do not ever order from us again. Your account is deleted. Next time READ STORE POLICIES BEFORE YOU ORDER FROM A SITE!

We dont have time to waste on nonsense like this."

Oh don't worry, I wont. Nice to know they start business at noon on a weekday.

Ima just order the Rosewill FORTRESS-750 instead... only Platinum decent one for $100, not sure why it didnt come up before in newegg.

Last edited:
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Their last reply:

"Do not ever order from us again. Your account is deleted. Next time READ STORE POLICIES BEFORE YOU ORDER FROM A SITE!

We dont have time to waste on nonsense like this."

Oh don't worry, I wont. Nice to know they start business at noon on a weekday.

Ima just order the Rosewill FORTRESS-750 instead... only Platinum decent one for $100, not sure why it didnt come up before in newegg.

WOW:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:....I know some people have had some issues with their owner "Hank" directly, but I guess I am one of the lucky ones...I am terribly sorry they pulled that shit on you man..I have only ever purchased watercooling stuff from them, but have order quite a few times without an issues, and despite FL being farther from me (MD) then NY (where FrozenCPU is) their shipping is much lower and just as quick.

I also want to be completely clear, I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH THEM..I having checking there for a Phyoba 200mm radiator fan plate I need that is OOS everywhere, and I just happened to see their "PSU Clearance" on the Main Page..

I also don't have any issue with Rosewill, they have come a long way from NE's semi-junky house brand on a lot of things..Let me know how the whole 6 card thing goes..I will keep my fingers crossed but I have a feeling you will be ordering a second cheap board and Semperon CPU after pulling your hair out! ;)

WOW:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:....I know some people have had some issues with their owner "Hank" directly, but I guess I am one of the lucky ones...I am terribly sorry they pulled that shit on you man..I have only ever purchased watercooling stuff from them, but have order quite a few times without an issues, and despite FL being farther from me (MD) then NY (where FrozenCPU is) their shipping is much lower and just as quick.

I also want to be completely clear, I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH THEM..I having checking there for a Phyoba 200mm radiator fan plate I need that is OOS everywhere, and I just happened to see their "PSU Clearance" on the Main Page..

I also don't have any issue with Rosewill, they have come a long way from NE's semi-junky house brand on a lot of things..Let me know how the whole 6 card thing goes..I will keep my fingers crossed but I have a feeling you will be ordering a second cheap board and Semperon CPU after pulling your hair out! ;)

LMAO! Cmon man, faith faith.. have faith not in AMD.... not in Gigabyte... not in Rosewill or CM, but in LINUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And hey np, u were trying to help... it just appalls me how some people just dont get "customer is first".... I worked in software/hardware sales before, and I would never dream of pulling that %#$ he did... I mean, dont people value word of mouth, common decency, and the most important thing in business, to make #*%# $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ????? Charging me a restock fee, is that really worth it after I explained to him who I am? He obviously didnt know who I am man. :rolleyes:

But honestly, last guy who pissed me off like that, he called me 5 times to take some reviews off saying its hurting his business (I'm an internet marketeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer)... finally I told him I'l do what ripoffreport does, I'll take off all my reviews, but he will have to hire me for not $40k like ripoff a-holes, but only $1k... never heard from him since, LMAO.

Back