Gigabyte GV-777OC-GD1 Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Gigabyte GV-777OC-GD1 Video Card Review - GIGABYTE is looking out for the budget gamers with its wallet-friendly GV-777OC-1GD, featuring an overclocked Radeon HD 7770 GPU with a custom cooler. Can it deliver the goods against an array of well-priced and seasoned competitors? The performance for the price may surprise you.

Thanks for the review. I fail to see the value in the 7770 cards. It's not like they give a better performance for your value. Perhaps in a HTPC with their lower power draw.

If I was putting together or recommending a budget gaming build for a friend, I don't think these would be on my list of recommendations.

Come on they should have held off on this series until they could get the prices under control.
Oh wait Nvidia isnt giving them any reason to care...
Sigh come on Nvidia and AMD you are both screwing certain customers over for seperate reasons.

Wow...what a let down. Does AMD really think they are fooling anybody with these performance/prices?

Keep in mind though, prices are always high upon initial release. I also would have liked to see this compared to a 5770/6770 for some perspective.

If these cards came down to the price of a 6770(which is like $70AR these days), it would be a great buy though. Give it a little while, not all the models are even released yet.

I think they are good cards. I am always in favor of lower power consumption and less heat. Are they currently worth more than 6 series cards? Probably not.

Keep in mind though, prices are always high upon initial release. I also would have liked to see this compared to a 5770/6770 for some perspective.

It would just be considerably faster than a considerably cheaper card. :confused:

I would be curious to know what card would (if any) provide an advantage with a real world CPU. Let's face it, the average gamer is not going to be running these specs with todays highlighted card .

Last edited:

If these cards came down to the price of a 6770(which is like $70AR these days), it would be a great buy though. Give it a little while, not all the models are even released yet.

I think they are good cards. I am always in favor of lower power consumption and less heat. Are they currently worth more than 6 series cards? Probably not.

I'm glad you mentioned that. It surprised/baffled me that the 5770/6770 was not included in comparison with the 7770 (at least what I can find). I'm still gaming very well with a single monitor and a 480 watt power supply with my o/c'd 5770 and it is great. I think the 7770 is a great card but I wouldn't touch it for a penny over $100. Keeping my 5770 for now.

the power usage and size is pretty nice if you were say using an HTPC to do some gaming at 1080p or 720p. once nvidia gets off their lazy asses and release something the prices should drop pretty nicely for the 7770.

Since it's the same price as the other 7770's out there, I'm a little disappointed that they didn't use a better cooler. Granted it's not needed since there's so little heat output, but it would be nice if the air was exhausted out the back.

I still think there needs to be an 800 core card, a 1536 core card, and there's still that mysterious Sapphire card with 2304 cores... *shrugs*

Maybe AMD is waiting on Nvidia to play their hand.

When will volt-modding be able to be done? With the low heat/power, I'm very curious what they might be capable of.

Thanks for the review. I fail to see the value in the 7770 cards. It's not like they give a better performance for your value. Perhaps in a HTPC with their lower power draw.

If I was putting together or recommending a budget gaming build for a friend, I don't think these would be on my list of recommendations.

And those recommendation are?......

And those recommendation are?......

HD5770 or HD6770. I like the HD5770 the best of recent HDX770 series.

AMD RADEON HD 7770 looks like a waste of 28nm usage. The card is severely gimped with the 128bit memory interface. AMD really needed to put a 192bit memory interface on it to justify the 28nm gpu on it at this price point.

AMD Radeon HD 7770 = huge fail at 28nm implementation.

With that logic you should be recommending the 7750. Much more power/heat efficient than the older 5770/6770. Similar $/perf.

HD5770 or HD6770. I like the HD5770 the best of recent HDX770 series.

AMD RADEON HD 7770 looks like a waste of 28nm usage. The card is severely gimped with the 128bit memory interface. AMD really needed to put a 192bit memory interface on it to justify the 28nm gpu on it at this price point.

AMD Radeon HD 7770 = huge fail at 28nm implementation.

You gotta keep it in perspective though. The cards are just supposed to be the next gen 5770/6770. Yeah they arnt worth it at their price point right now, but if they were in the $100 area, they probably would be.

You gotta keep it in perspective though. The cards are just supposed to be the next gen 5770/6770. Yeah they arnt worth it at their price point right now, but if they were in the $100 area, they probably would be.

Well yeah, I don't think anyone is really arguing the performance of these cards so much as the performance for the price point.

My my point is that the performance increase from prior X770 cards is so miniscule that the card is a failure in design for a 28nm card. I don't see the point in supporting or buying a poorly designed video card.

I would buy a vanilla HD5770 any day of the week over a HD7770. HD5770s can be found dirt cheap and they scale very well with multiple cards. HD7770 is limited to 2 cards max in crossfire.

It's obvious all AMD is doing with HD7770 is offering a low cost card to maximize profits while protecting the other over priced higher tiered HD 7XXX cards. Don't be a sucker and buy into this new AMD HD7XXX pricing failure.

is this comparing against the 1gig or 2gig+shaders 560?

Back