GIGABYTE GP-P850GM 850W or CORSAIR - RMx Series 850W

Chelica

2[H]4U
Need some advise from forum members between these 2 PSU.

GIGABYTE GP-P850GM 850W
vs
CORSAIR - RMx Series 850W

I will eventually run a 3080, aiming for the Vision version from Gigabyte. I can get the Gigabyte PSU for $100. I currently have the Corsair RMx, still sealed and within the return window that I can return. The Corsair I purchased for $144.99. The question is, do I bank the $44.99 savings and put that towards my other components (Still working on acquiring them) or go for broke and keep the Corsair?

I've always run the RMx series on my previous builds but with the price I can acquire the Gigabyte PSU for, it's worth asking folks for recommendation. I've read online reviews and the Gigabyte P850GM is not too bad. The only potential issue is on the higher end of things, where you're running the PSU on FULL load, the fan might get a bit noisy. Based on what I am trying to build, my estimated wattage is going to be around 580W.

Thank you

There's some horrible reviews on amazon for the gigabyte if you sort by recent. One even said the cord melted and almost caught fire lol

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GP-P850GM-Modular-Protection-Supply/dp/B08JGPBML2?th=1
I saw that. I saw the same for the RMx line reviews. I think they are using similar components as both are advertising Japanese capacitors. I know the RM model are not using the same Japanese capacitors and that’s why the RMx is slightly better in that regards.

thanks for the heads up.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would go with the RMx just for the 10 year warranty alone, the gigabyte is known to run loud under high load situations too based off reviews, the RMx had the opposite issue.
I have a AX760 in my main gaming rig and that RMx 850 in my server, I might be trading them if I end up needing a bit more juice in my desktop when/if I can grab a 3080.

I would go with the RMx just for the 10 year warranty alone, the gigabyte is known to run loud under high load situations too based off reviews, the RMx had the opposite issue.
I have a AX760 in my main gaming rig and that RMx 850 in my server, I might be trading them if I end up needing a bit more juice in my desktop when/if I can grab a 3080.
Ah, got it. Thanks for the feedback.

I have the RM850x PSU. It works fine and powers my system well. I use two seperate pcie cables for my 2070. Not one problem and the thing is quiet as hell.

Every single PSU out there has issues. There are no 100% positive reviews for anything. Always remember that.

Got it. Thanks. In regards to the OEM, not sure. Let me see if I can find out.

After much back/forth, decided to go with the Corsair and return the Gigabyte. Thinking the lower noise will be nice in the long run. The 10 yr warranty is pretty good too. Hoping I won't be using the same rig in 10 years but who knows. Thank you all.

After much back/forth, decided to go with the Corsair and return the Gigabyte. Thinking the lower noise will be nice in the long run. The 10 yr warranty is pretty good too. Hoping I won't be using the same rig in 10 years but who knows. Thank you all.
So just for reference I have an ax750 gold that just hit 10 years old from my 2010 build, it ended up going in my daughters desktop for a virtual learning build for school.
You may not use it in 10 years on a new build but most good psu are built to last and might end up in a htpc or family member's rig with used parts.

So just for reference I have an ax750 gold that just hit 10 years old from my 2010 build, it ended up going in my daughters desktop for a virtual learning build for school.
You may not use it in 10 years on a new build but most good psu are built to last and might end up in a htpc or family member's rig with used parts.
Ah, yah, makes sense. The fact that the company is willing to back its product for 10 years is what won me over.

The big 3, Corsair, Seasonic, and EVGA all stand behind their products for double digit years (for the med-high end models anyway)

Last edited:
Back