Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC - $499.99 @ Amazon

Just ordered two of these puppies today. Thanks for the heads up.

Amazon has a better return policy, less spam and faster shipping.

Better returns, sure. Spam.... What are you talking about? Faster shipping sure if you pay 79 a year for prime. I have shop runner and prime so it doesn't matter to me.

Better returns, sure. Spam.... What are you talking about? Faster shipping sure if you pay 79 a year for prime. I have shop runner and prime so it doesn't matter to me.

I think he's talking about the fact you have to sign up for the Newegg news letter to actually be eligible for half of its sales. Not for this deal, but anything with codes tends to require that commitment.

Last edited:
I think he's talking about the fact you have to sign up for the Newegg news letter to actually be eligible for half of its sales. Not for this deal, but anything with codes tends to require that commitment.

Make a quick email filter that sends them to their own folder, then? I honestly get about the same amount of "e-blast" newsletters (not the shell shocker ones, but the e-blast that lets you be eligible for coupons) as I do random Amazon "people who looked at AMAZING WIDGET also were interested in..." mails. *shrug* :)

For what benefit? There is none. The 680 will be notably faster, however ;).

Given the 1046 MHz of the 670 versus the 1071 MHz of the 680 and extra 192 CUDA cores hardly makes for even a 10% difference in benchmarks. However, the real reason to choose the 670 is the ability to really crank up the details like MSAA. In games like Max Payne 3, running 8x MSAA chews up 3GB VRAM and if you crank up all the effects, it can use 6GB VRAM. Now do you still want a 2GB card? I sure don't!

Given the 1046 MHz of the 670 versus the 1071 MHz of the 680 and extra 192 CUDA cores hardly makes for even a 10% difference in benchmarks. However, the real reason to choose the 670 is the ability to really crank up the details like MSAA. In games like Max Payne 3, running 8x MSAA chews up 3GB VRAM and if you crank up all the effects, it can use 6GB VRAM. Now do you still want a 2GB card? I sure don't!

Do you have charts to prove that or are you just talking out your ass?

That's silly. The very same articles on hardocp say and show that 8x msaa looks worse than the non vram intensive Fxaa high mode. I guess as a theoretical exercise the msaa option is okay but no one actually uses it and there is no benefit in doing so.

EDIT: In fact, that preview article you linked even says:

In the second picture on the first row, we are showing that area because there is a lot of aliasing going on, especially on the wall piece to the left. With very high FXAA enabled it was doing a very good job of reducing the aliasing, and while a screenshot doesn't show it off the best, in-game as we were moving around it just impressed us how well FXAA was reducing the aliasing; it looked as good as 8X MSAA

Last edited:
Back