GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Premium @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Premium - GIGABYTE’s GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Premium Pack is one premium package of goodness. Not only have we got one of the fastest GeForce GTX 1080 video cards, but GIGABYTE has thrown in the kitchen sink in this Premium Package with enthusiast oriented gaming as the focus.

Damn, I had a feeling this was going to be top-dog in the 1080 arena. The proof of the stacked cooling solution is in the numbers: 64C on auto and it's maintaining 2GHz out of the box! You can buy the Premium Pack and a non-Premium and you'll be VR-ready well into the future without needing to buy anything extra (unless you need a longer SLI bridge, that is).

I had one of these, total piece of shit, came out of the box with bent fins despite gigabytes supposed revised packaging and the built in oc mode crashed out in seconds. Seen quite a few posts over other forums and online stores with similar reviews. Apparently gigabyte don't bin these gpu's anymore so its basically pot luck if it can sustain the oc or not.

I had one of these, total piece of shit, came out of the box with bent fins despite gigabytes supposed revised packaging and the built in oc mode crashed out in seconds. Seen quite a few posts over other forums and online stores with similar reviews. Apparently gigabyte don't bin these gpu's anymore so its basically pot luck if it can sustain the oc or not.
Links would be appreciated. Some pics of yours as well. Thanks.

Not my pic but mine arrived slightly less bent than these http://i.imgur.com/jiIRLiP.jpg
jiIRLiP.jpg

I only kept it a matter of hours before sending it back by DSR so didn't get taking any pics, the packaging was initially an issue it could result in bent fins, the middle fan clipping the x frame housing or both. They reinforced it but bent fins still slipped through, gigabyte much like amd claimed it only affected media samples (like fury x pump issues did) but mine arrived with bent fins as well as a number of others on the newegg reviews. GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 XTREME Gaming Premium Pack Video Card-Newegg.com

This is the card I bought. Zero issues with it, no bent fins, no fan clearance issues, etc. Works great.

Not my pic but mine arrived slightly less bent than these http://i.imgur.com/jiIRLiP.jpg

I only kept it a matter of hours before sending it back by DSR so didn't get taking any pics, the packaging was initially an issue it could result in bent fins, the middle fan clipping the x frame housing or both. They reinforced it but bent fins still slipped through, gigabyte much like amd claimed it only affected media samples (like fury x pump issues did) but mine arrived with bent fins as well as a number of others on the newegg reviews. GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 XTREME Gaming Premium Pack Video Card-Newegg.com

Gave a quick look and did not see any recent reviews with your issue, so they must beyond that. 4 our to 5 stars overall.

So after all that reading I'm amazed that my EVGA Founders cards in SLI game at 2050Mhz and drop to 1980Mhz then backup over 2000mhz with a plus 600Mhz on the memory, I'm glad I didn't wait and grabbed them at launch. I do want some Tis if the ever come out.

I will say that after testing with Unigen Valley benchmark, I immediately get artifacting with anything on memory clock over +100 or so. Not sure how you guys managed to get +500 to be stable.

I will say that after testing with Unigen Valley benchmark, I immediately get artifacting with anything on memory clock over +100 or so. Not sure how you guys managed to get +500 to be stable.
Well as we have said over and over for the last 16 years, our overclocks do not necessarily reflect yours.

Nothing special was done. What OC application are you using?

I should note our Founders Edition memory can also overclock to 11GHz just fine, the GIGABYTE edges it out on memory overclock by a couple hundred MHz.

Nothing special was done. What OC application are you using?

The Gigabyte software, same as you guys.

The Core clock boost is in the neighborhood of your results (I think I have it set at +50 right now), but the memory is way off.

It may also be that Valley is a lot more intense than normal gaming, I'm not sure.

Only thing I am doing differently is not using the Voltage boost like you guys are. Do you think that makes a difference for memory?

The Gigabyte software, same as you guys.

The Core clock boost is in the neighborhood of your results (I think I have it set at +50 right now), but the memory is way off.

It may also be that Valley is a lot more intense than normal gaming, I'm not sure.

Only thing I am doing differently is not using the Voltage boost like you guys are. Do you think that makes a difference for memory?

GPU Voltage boost would not. However, note we also have the Power Limit set to +50%, make sure you have increased that as well.

GPU Voltage boost would not. However, note we also have the Power Limit set to +50%, make sure you have increased that as well.

Yeah, that one I do have set to max (+50).

I will have to try some games with the memory higher and see what happens. I was pretty much just stress testing with Valley but as we all know, that often does not equate to real-world load and performance.

A rather awesome version of the 1080, I am impressed with Gigabyte all in all from the mITX motherboard I bought and the 1070G1. This is sure as hell better than the Fools edition version for the same price. Good review.

Nice review. I have the GTX 1070 Extreme Gaming and its been absolutely solid. I will probably get the 1080 Ti Extreme Gaming if that ever comes out.

Opposed double stacking is not that unique an invention. This is a modified P-51 Mustang. The stacked blades create a greater static pressure. However the additional complexity and noise generated by the stacked configuration keeps them from being popular for aerospace applications. What gigabyte came up with here by overlaying them is clever. I don't know the RPM counts, but they probably lowered the fan RPMs since they had a greater static pressure. This would lead to the reduced noise.
6810865609_d8862011b1_z.jpg

In fact, NASA was working on an advanced turbo prop that was stacked with several row of blades similar to the one below. It was more efficient than the best turbofans and generated as much thrust. Problem is it generated shock waves which hit the body of the aircraft. (Never a good thing.)

Stacked turbo prop photo below:
Photo by kayaktn

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome card. Although I'm pretty sure these things are either designed by robots themselves, or by the design crew from the transformers movies.

My Pitan X does not overclock well with the memory, either. I immediately get artifacting if I try to go to 11 GT/s. The most I can get out of it and be stable is 10.2 GT/s. The slightly greater density of memory around the core may have some effect, though, when compared to a 1080.
Opposed double stacking is not that unique an invention. This is a modified P-51 Mustang. The stacked blades create a greater static pressure. However the additional complexity and noise generated by the stacked configuration keeps them from being popular for aerospace applications. What gigabyte came up with here by overlaying them is clever. I don't know the RPM counts, but they probably lowered the fan RPMs since they had a greater static pressure. This would lead to the reduced noise.

In fact, NASA was working on an advanced turbo prop that was stacked with several row of blades similar to the one below. It was more efficient than the best turbofans and generated as much thrust. Problem is it generated shock waves which hit the body of the aircraft. (Never a good thing.)

Photo by kayaktn
You can see the GPU-Z screenshots in the review on page 11. They show what the fan RPM was. At 47% the fans were going at 1520 RPM. At 75% they were going 2411 RPM. That is a bit slower than the G1 GAMING 980 Ti I tested, which did around 1800 RPM at 50% fan speed.

great review. i have the watercooled version of this card and been very happy with it. I've been able to play almost everything at 4k with face melting results.

Yeah, that's all nice, but does it make light saber noises when those lights turn on? If not, that's a dealbreaker....

Photo by kayaktn

Volvo has been doing this with marine outdrives for about 30 years as well.

ML_Benefits_of_Duoprop_566x228.jpg

That's a great card and I'm happy to own one. Though I can't reach the sweet 11 GHz memory OC. +300 on memory was the safest as at +400 and even more rare, but still sometimes at +350 I could see small blue flash popping in witcher 3 (but no other artifacts though) from time to time. My card was from the first 100 released on launch date, so maybe that could be partly a reason.

I was actually pretty close to pulling the trigger on this card (or 2), if for nothing but the SLI HB bridge included (I don't use VR).

Especially considering that back here, the Premium pack costs a grand total of 33c more expensive than the non-premium pack Xtreme Gaming 3D version (yes, 33c). [EDIT: not anymore, it's now $33 more expensive, still a good buy over non-premium though, considering the bridge cost that much anyway]

The problem was that this card was about $65 more expensive than the MSI gaming X, so $130 for 2 bridges and 2 mouse mats felt a bit steep.

I see a lot of folks have good oc reaults. Kyle what was the ambient temp for your oc? I'm at abot 79f here in Florida. Mine doesnt seem to do much above stock oc, im wondering if overtime that will become a problem.

I see a lot of folks have good oc reaults. Kyle what was the ambient temp for your oc? I'm at abot 79f here in Florida. Mine doesnt seem to do much above stock oc, im wondering if overtime that will become a problem.
72F

Also remember that [H] tests using an open bench.

Yeah I took figured the cooler temperature helps. I do have a pretty good case for airflow (HAF 932, 4x 120mm fans blowing on it). My temperatures seem comparable given the higher ambient temp, so I may just have not gotten the best OCer. Generally I can get it stable between 2025 and 2050 in games. Was hoping for 2.1k, but this isn't terrible.

Kyle and others,
I did notice that it felt like the HSF was a little loose (for lack of a better word, it was very minotr) on the card - if I tilted the card at an angle I would hear a sound like something was moving. It wasvery slight, I'm wondering if its worth pulling out and tightening screws a bit. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Oddly enough, after I messed around with OC settings a bit, I started having problems with just Power Limit set to max (+50) and nothing else OCed....was getting constant glitches/crashes in VR, couldn't figure out WTF was wrong until I set everything to stock.

Not sure what happened, I was previously running with Power Limit at max and a mild overclock and it worked fine.

Strange thing is the card was not overheating at all. My temps at full load barely reach 60C.

Last edited:
Yeah I took figured the cooler temperature helps. I do have a pretty good case for airflow (HAF 932, 4x 120mm fans blowing on it). My temperatures seem comparable given the higher ambient temp, so I may just have not gotten the best OCer. Generally I can get it stable between 2025 and 2050 in games. Was hoping for 2.1k, but this isn't terrible.

Kyle and others,
I did notice that it felt like the HSF was a little loose (for lack of a better word, it was very minotr) on the card - if I tilted the card at an angle I would hear a sound like something was moving. It wasvery slight, I'm wondering if its worth pulling out and tightening screws a bit. Anyone have thoughts on that?
If shit's broke, fix it.

I have the water version, my OC is at +51 core and +596 mem using Afterburner; of course, the water card is base-clocked a bit higher so consider that, but bumping the RAM is what really woke up the card. I did also do +100 on core voltage and +50 on power just to give it room. The water card usually sits in within the 50s as far as temp goes.

This is a perfect card for 1440p and >60FPS gaming. I'm very pleased going from an OC'd 970 to the Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Water.

Just bought the card tonight. I don't think I've ever been pleased enough with my Fury, and I have really tried. It's quiet and never gets hot, but the performance is just not there unless I'm playing DOOM. I'm tired of compromising on details just to keep consistent framerates. I think I can live with my purchase -- I wanted a Titan, but just can't pay the Titan cash. I think this will be a nice compromise for my wants.

I don't know what is happening, but I'm getting blue artifacts even at stock speeds in Unigen Heaven. I started noticing weird issues in VR so started running some stress tests and it seems like something is wrong. The card never gets over 65C.

This was not happening when I first got the card. Sent in a support request to Gigabyte.

Last edited:
I took card out earlier this weekend and it looks like everything is tight, so I just might not have won lottery. Seems like +50 offset is where mine maxes out. I'm new to overclocking memory - I tried a method I found online where you freeze valley and monitor the FPS, keep bumping it up until FPS starts to drop, then bump it back again. Looks like I can get around +425 on my memory.

My temperatures (mind you, I'm in Tampa and it's HOT) with my room staying around 79F is in the low to upper 60s depending on the game, with fan running at around 70% and a fairly aggressive curve. These temperatures occur with max voltage and the stock OC mode voltage.

I love the card so far. I had a few fins bent (I think it's due to the way it's packaged), but they were easily fixed, nothing to the extent of photos I have seen.

I have not delved into overclocking just yet, but at stock performance is fantastic compared to what I've experienced over the past few years. Next up is a G-Sync display.

Back