GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 G1 GAMING 6G Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 G1 GAMING 6G Review - We’ve got the brand new GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 G1 GAMING 6G video card to put through the paces and find out how well it performs in games and overclocks. We will compare its highest overclock with one of the best overclocks we’ve achieved on AMD Radeon RX 480 to put it to the test. How will it stand up? Let’s find out.

Awesome thorough review as always Kyle.

I dunno id this is a deal tho, with 4GB 480s going for $160ish right now, doesn't seem like this 1060 offers very good value.

I dunno id this is a deal tho, with 4GB 480s going for $160ish right now, doesn't seem like this 1060 offers very good value.

While I think the GTX1060 is a great card, the Rx480 4GB is a much better value

Where are you seeing that? The best I have seen is $190 with a $20MIR, $5 for shipping, and add tax for quite a few folks (Newegg).

Best price I have seen lately on a 1060 6GB is from Jet.com (with coupon) for ~$230 with no tax/shipping (Except NY).

Best price I have seen lately on a 1060 3GB is from Jet.com (with coupon) for ~$170 with no tax/shipping (Except NY).

I think hardocp needs to keep their game suite updated with the latest games to keep their reviews relevant. Games like Fallout 4 and Witcher are way too old and newer games like Hitman, Division , Rise of the Tomb Raider have been removed from your suite while retaining older and less graphically impressive titles like Fallout 4. Whats even more unexplicable is you say you are looking for titles which show improved performance in DX12 vs DX11. But you do not include Division which is not only a graphically more demanding game than Fallout 4 but also sports superior DX12 performance vs DX11 performance.

https://www.techpowerup.com/228800/...directx-12-update-rx-480-beats-gtx-1060-by-16

Its clear that AMD Rx 480 is pretty much on par with GTX 1060 overall and better in DX12 / Vulkan . I suggest hardocp look at keeping their test suite reflective of the most popular and demanding games out there because we are not in 2015 anymore but 2017. With such a small game test suite it becomes even more important for your site to keep graphically demanding and latest games to reflect the performance in today's games.

http://gamegpu.com/test-video-cards/opredelenie-naibolee-bystrykh-i-optimalnykh-reshenij-2016-goda

Last edited:
Its clear that AMD Rx 480 is pretty much on par with GTX 1060 overall and better in DX12 / Vulkan .
Unless of course you use the RX 480 for VR gaming. Which is could be referred to as a dumpster fire at best.

You do of course realize we populate our testing suite with the games that are the most GPU demanding, albeit we do keep DOOM in there simply to show the power of Vulcan on AMD hardware. But we are not going to run a bunch of "easy" games to highlight AMD's strong points further.

That all said, we are looking at doing a follow-up DX12 specific review currently.

Funny how Fallout 4 is one of the games he criticizes for being included, yet Doom, which is only 6 months newer and actually appears to be no more graphically demanding (as both games are maxed at 1440 with these cards) is absolutely fine. I swear every time this argument abut the game selection comes up it's someone arguing about games Nvidia is ahead in. How many times do they have to explain the selection? Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 are both massively popular games in massively popular series. Five of the seven games included are less than a year old, even the two you complain about are both less than two years old. How much newer do you need the game selection to be?

Its clear that AMD Rx 480 is pretty much on par with GTX 1060 overall and better in DX12 / Vulkan .

You better hope AMDs sponsorship for games continue then.

And talking on pair and then mention better in DX12/Vulkan. What do you call this?

Not to mention this:
1484519953uTUJTeH5LD_12_1.png

Last edited:
If you say you keep the most GPU demanding games then Division beats Fallout 4 anyday and has much better graphics. Whats even better Division DX12 shows performance gains over DX11 for AMD cards , which you say you are looking for . So why then this unexplicable choice of dropping newer games like Division from the suite and retaining older less graphically impressive titles like Fallout 4. You can even drop Doom but atleast be consistent about having the most demanding games.

Gears of War is not the only DX12 game out there. There are roughly a dozen games of which AMD wins almost every game except GoW and RoTR (both of which are Gameworks titles).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support
Thanks for the suggestions.

Kind of figured that quote at the end of the article would upset some people. lol It is AMD's fault they have gained a lot of performance with newer drivers since release completely closing the gap on the GTX1060 to within 1% or margin of error and overall are faster in DX12 titles. Still can't really go wrong with either card especially if you stay away from the reference cards.

Quote at end of article - "That said, this video card will still provide performance superior to that of the highest overclocked AMD Radeon RX 480 GPU based video cards. That means your gameplay experience will be better than the competition, once you overclock it."

How many of those games are left if you remove AMD sponsored titles then? :)

Oh if thats the issue then 4 out of the 7 games tested by hardocp are Gameworks titles. Lets not get into those silly arguments. Nvidia TWIMTBP and Gameworks is considered one of its strengths and here you are arguing about AMD pushing for more Gaming Evolved titles.

And how did it go in Civ6?
View attachment 14852

a 1.5% lead. dude thats within error margin. btw i can point out many more DX12 benchmarks where the Rx 480 lead is > 5% . don't act silly . Everybody here agrees that AMD wins much more DX12 games than it loses.

Oh if thats the issue then 4 out of the 7 games tested by hardocp are Gameworks titles. Lets not get into those silly arguments. Nvidia TWIMTBP and Gameworks is considered one of its strengths and here you are arguing about AMD pushing for more Gaming Evolved titles.

a 1.5% lead. dude thats within error margin. btw i can point out many more DX12 benchmarks where the Rx 480 lead is > 5% . don't act silly . Everybody here agrees that AMD wins much more DX12 games than it loses.

I know how AMD sabotaged the Warhammer DX12 so much that my GTX1080 literally was a 100W card running it. And do I have to mention Hitman? And in Vulkan AMD uses special shader extensions.

Before declaring the great PR slide victory in DX12 or Vulkan. Perhaps you should have it tested on more common grounds.

AOTS is already a game we dont talk about anymore, right?

I know how AMD sabotaged the Warhammer DX12 so much that my GTX1080 literally was a 100W card running it. And do I have to mention Hitman? And in Vulkan AMD uses special shader extensions.

Before declaring the great PR slide victory in DX12 or Vulkan. Perhaps you should have it tested on more common grounds.

AOTS is already a game we dont talk about anymore, right?

dude there is no Gameworks like black box code in AMD Gaming Evolved titles specifically designed to harm the competition. DX12 by nature puts a lot more control in the hands of the developer and it surely makes their work more challenging if I might say. Nvidia and AMD with their DX11 drivers sit and optimize a hell a lot of game specific shader code in their drivers. Raja Koduri recently stated that the DX11 drivers are massive in size and have multiple game engine codes within their drivers. On the contrary he stated that their DX12 drivers is very lightweight. Dude you are sitting here and crying that AMD is engaging with more developers on DX12 / Vulkan while you would be the first one to laud if Nvidia does that in a Gameworks title.

dude there is no Gameworks like black box code in AMD Gaming Evolved titles specifically designed to harm the competition. DX12 by nature puts a lot more control in the hands of the developer and it surely makes their work more challenging if I might say. Nvidia and AMD with their DX11 drivers sit and optimize a hell a lot of game specific shader code in their drivers. Raja Koduri recently stated that the DX11 drivers are massive in size and have multiple game engine codes within their drivers. On the contrary he stated that their DX12 drivers is very lightweight. Dude you are sitting here and crying that AMD is engaging with more developers on DX12 / Vulkan while you would be the first one to laud if Nvidia does that in a Gameworks title.

So now its the developers fault? You do know AMD engineers worked on the titles? :)
AMD is no different than Nvidia so dont try and glorify them. The developers must be really bad then if you end up with low GPU utilization on a 1080.

Why dont you list me what DX12 games of the 16 you listed ends what way. Its not GoW, its not RoTR, its not Civ6, its not AOTS and its not FM6A and who knows what else we can exclude along the way. Remember some have a tendency to change performance over time ;)

No wonder DX12 drivers are massive compared to DX12 is it. There are what, 16 DX12 gams and how many DX11 games? With DX12 you are going to end up with even more hacks and tweaks in both drivers and game code as time goes on.

Last edited:
raghu78 are these games up to date in your view?

games_2016_2560.png

Far Cry Primal тест GPU 2016
The Division тест GPU 2016
Hitman тест GPU 2016
Rise of the Tomb Raider тест GPU 2016
Homefront The Revolution тест GPU 2016
Mirror's Edge Catalyst тест GPU 2016
Total War: Warhammer тест GPU 2016
DOOM тест GPU 2016
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided тест GPU 2016
Quantum Break тест GPU 2016
Mafia III тест GPU 2016
Battlefield 1 тест GPU 2016
Titanfall 2 тест GPU 2016
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare тест GPU 2016
Dishonored 2 тест GPU 2016
Watch Dogs 2 тест GPU 2016

Because GameGPU included all of them in their 2016 gaming performance review and GTX 1060 is either on par or faster than RX 480 in all resolutions. Don't understand why you spend that much time criticizing the NVIDIA card in every single tech forum out there when both of them are very solid/valid options.

I quoted GameGPU too in my earlier post. I also did post two other reviews. Joker's 2016 games and Hardwareunboxed. What we can conclude from these reviews is the GTX 1060 and Rx 480 are dead close and well within 1-2% avg . Joker's and hardwareunboxed showed the Rx 480 edging ahead while gamegpu showed GTX 1060 edging ahead. This is unlike the hardocp review conclusion which calls the GTX 1060 a clear winner. That happens due to game selection and a small test suite. I like hardocp's testing methodology but they need to extra careful given such a small test suite. The games tested must satisfy the criteria of being demanding and should also be recent (a year old at max). hardocp also state they are looking for games which show improved performance on DX12 , which Division does. Thats why I pointed out that dropping Division while retaining Fallout 4 does not seem logically consistent.

btw you and ShintaiDK would always agree with any conclusion which is in Nvidia's favour as we all know. btw I never criticized Nvidia's GPU. I only disagree with hardocp's choice of games and their conclusion. As for time spent on forums criticizing or posting anything remotely negative about a certain company while continuing to glorify and posting only positive posts/comments about another company you and ShintaiDK are unmatched :)

Last edited:
Whelp I hope this posts decently enough to read...

Just pulling up past [H] articles
Gigabyte 1060:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2017...ce_gtx_1060_g1_gaming_6g_review/#.WH6C2FUrJQI
ASUS 1060:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2017...60_o6g_gaming_video_card_review/#.WH6C2VUrJQI
ASUS ROG RX 480:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016...80_o8g_gaming_video_card_review/#.WH6C2VUrJQI

alone yielded the following information of four articles worth of data points using all the same games and same settings

From the Gigabyte article there are these #s which are also carried over from the ASUS ROG RX 480 article
Games Std / OC: 480 Std / OC: 1060
Watchdogs 2: 44.5 / 49.2, 49.1 / 54.4
Deus Ex: 48.9 / 53.6, 49.8 / 55.1
Battlefield 1: 53.9 / 59.5, 55.4 / 62.0
DOOM: 79.4 / 86.9, 68.9 / 73.8
GoW 4: 49.7 / 54.7, 52.3 / 56.5
Witcher 3: 48.1 / 53.0, 52.5 / 58.4
Fallout 4: 48.8 / 53.8, 54.7 / 59.5

Conclusions: (+) = Overclock gains, +xx = winning card's gains over comps
Watchdogs 2: (+10.5%) (+10.7%) +10.33-10.5%
Deus Ex: (+9.6%) (+10.6%) +1.8-2.7%
Battlefield 1: (+10.3%) (+11.9%) +2.7-4.2%
DOOM: (+9.4%) +15.2-17.7% (+7.1%)
GoW 4: (+10.0%) (+8.0%) +5.2-3.3%
Witcher 3: (+10.1%) (+11.2%) +9.1-10.1%
Fallout 4: (+10.2%) (+8.7%) +10.5-12%

We see a pretty linear increase of gains between the cards standard speeds and overclocks, and given the margin of error with binning lottery, and the cards are trading blows Rocky IV style.
Why the margin of error? Because look at the other GTX 1060 cards posted numbers compared to Gigabyte's.

Competing GTX1060 Cards, Std / OC, game for game % difference
MSI: --/+2.9%, --/+0.7%, --/-3.5%, --/+2.8%, --/+4.0%, --/+1.3%, --/+2.0% (Power +2.0/+3.0%) Price $269.99

ASUS: +4.8/+2.7%, +2.0/+1.6%, +1.2/-0.6%, +3.7/+5.2%, +3.2/+4.2%, +2.4/+1.8%, +1.8/+3.3% (Power -4.1/-2.6%) Price: 329.99

Gigabyte: --/--, --/--, --/--, --/--, --/--, --/--, --/--, (Power ---/---) Price: 257.99

Just by binning alone a GTX 1060 card fluctuates by 2-4%. The clear winner in binning is ASUS, better performance at less power, but at a serious premium of cost.
Honestly arguing about card performance between these two models is moot. Even Brent makes a comment in the article worth mentioning
With framerates already that high it is hard to tell the video cards apart while actually gaming, especially if you have a 60Hz monitor.

Now asking why X game was not included etcetera, etcetera is a good point to bring up, but do not beat a dead horse further.

I did not find any fault with the article, as I have learned to read a fan service article from an architecture one now. Just as with the ASUS ROG RX 480 article there are just instances where an AIB partner puts out a stand out product worth mentioning. Given the price this card is launching at I would buy it over the MSI/ASUS.

Great review, but at this point it's silly not to buy a $160 RX 480 4GB card and use the saved $100 for a better cpu/mb/psu/case etc. etc.

Looking at the performance of the RX480 in Doom (just one example). The 480 obliterates the 1060. Is this the direction were moving? Moving forward to DX12 and Vulcan, why should I spend money on an outdated and outmoded card like the 1060 when I have a better performance path with DX12, Vulcan and the 480?

Looking at the performance of the RX480 in Doom (just one example). The 480 obliterates the 1060. Is this the direction were moving? Moving forward to DX12 and Vulcan, why should I spend money on an outdated and outmoded card like the 1060 when I have a better performance path with DX12, Vulcan and the 480?

Ironically you highlighted the universe sized hole in your argument with your point that it's "just one example". Plenty of DX12 games show an advantage for Nvidia and they obviously hold the advantage in DX11 overall.

At the end of the day it comes down to cost with these cards. If you can get the 480 8GB for +5% cheaper then go for it. If they are even in price go for a 1060 6GB. But whatever you do, don't pick a card thinking it's more 'future proof' because of some magical changes in the programming of games over the next couple of years.

Unless you have a VR headset then any advantages of DX 12 and Vulkan with AMD will seem meh. . .

GTX 1060 is no more unequivocally faster in DX11 as recent reviews point out

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review-23.html

Recent AAA games like COD Infinite Warfare , Titanfall2 have allowed Rx 480 to pretty much close the gap against GTX 1060 as they run better on the former. Moreover AMD has done a very good job with Crimson Relive and all new reviews point out that the GTX 1060 does not have any significant lead over Rx 480 overall too. Look at the reviews I linked which test the latest AAA games with the latest drivers.

GTX 1060 is no more unequivocally faster in DX11 as recent reviews point out

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review-23.html

Recent AAA games like COD Infinite Warfare , Titanfall2 have allowed Rx 480 to pretty much close the gap against GTX 1060 as they run better on the former. Moreover AMD has done a very good job with Crimson Relive and all new reviews point out that the GTX 1060 does not have any significant lead over Rx 480 overall too. Look at the reviews I linked which test the latest AAA games with the latest drivers.

In Elite Dangerous with 2.1 million players, something like a 1050Ti performs like a RX480. In DX11 AMD is quite a hit or miss depending on the game.

The price difference between the cards are what they are due to a reason. Not because AMD is playing the charity game.

Simple, when AMD brings the "wow" back to their video cards, then maybe the enthusiasm will follow.. *cough* 9800 pro.

Right now they are a bargain choice, not a performance choice.

Snagged one from Micro Center for $210 (incl. tax). Better 1080p experience than the GTX 1080. (Strange I know; returning my 1080 come Monday)

Snagged one from Micro Center for $210 (incl. tax). Better 1080p experience than the GTX 1080. (Strange I know; returning my 1080 come Monday)

If your RX 480 is faster than your 1080 you have something very wrong with your system.

Back