Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC Force questions

Pitbull

Limp Gawd
Hi there, i know the board has 4x x16 slots, that will run in 8x mode once you populate two of them. I'm interested in a new motherboard due to my old z68 having the 16x slots so close together my top 290 card cooks with the gellid cooler due to there being no room for the card to draw air and i would like to keep them apart as possible while they run in 8x mode for cross fire.

My question is are the 4 pcie 16x 3.0 slots on this gigabyte mix and match? can i use any two of them and they will still run in 8x mode, or do i have to use the top most 2 for 8x?

Last edited:
Thanks, looking through manuals it seems like this is true, only the last one is 1x mode, and its ossible to do 8x crossfire in slot 1 and 3. I'm currently running 8x crossfire mode with 2x 290s on a z68 board which is pcie 2.0 so going to 3.0 8x would double the bandwidth.

If you are running crossfire 290 series cards you might as well spend more money and get a proper 2x PCI 3.0x16 mb.

Looks like closest to CPU is x16 next 2 are x8 and furthest from CPU is x4.

Based on this photo:

http://www.back2gaming.com/wp-conte...97-soc-force/GIGABYTE_Z97X_SOC_FORCE_0003.JPG

Yo.... ASUS Z97 WS will cost you quite a bit more money but IMO it will work out better if you want a more stable 24/7 over clocked RIG. The ASUS Z97 WS has higher quality CPU voltage and 2x pci 3.0 x 16 crossfire or SLI ability.

The Z97 SOC Force is more of a 1/4 mile hot rod that has great over clocking controls that are great for cooling with liquid nitrogen but under 24/7 use will not be as stable or durable or functional as an ASUS Z97 WS.

Last edited:
My Z68 asus board has been running at 4.8ghz since day one on auto OC. While i do like the WS board i'm not sure if i need it.

Yo.... ASUS Z97 WS will cost you quite a bit more money but IMO it will work out better if you want a more stable 24/7 over clocked RIG. The ASUS Z97 WS has higher quality CPU voltage and 2x pci 3.0 x 16 crossfire or SLI ability.

The Z97 SOC Force is more of a 1/4 mile hot rod that has great over clocking controls that are great for cooling with liquid nitrogen but under 24/7 use will not be as stable or durable or functional as an ASUS Z97 WS.

Thanks, looking through manuals it seems like this is true, only the last one is 1x mode, and its ossible to do 8x crossfire in slot 1 and 3. I'm currently running 8x crossfire mode with 2x 290s on a z68 board which is pcie 2.0 so going to 3.0 8x would double the bandwidth.

Yes, except you're not going to see the benefit. It's very hard to saturate pci-e 2.0 8x - 8x. Professional reviewer said this. Think it was anandtech or guru3d, not sure which

Yup, thats why i dont care about 16x/16x crossfire.

Yes, except you're not going to see the benefit. It's very hard to saturate pci-e 2.0 8x - 8x. Professional reviewer said this. Think it was anandtech or guru3d, not sure which

ASUS Z97 WS can do 4x PCI 3.0x8.

Nice and unique feature set that offers greater versatility for future upgrades and peace of mind.

The VRM voltage control design of the Z97 WS is much higher quality and efficient for any load your CPU will have at stock speeds or over clocked, also the WS has more reliable and less CPU/memory dependent Intel network interface chips (2 Intel network chips).

Damn you SonDa5, i just ordered that board, damn peer pressure!!!
I guess i'll grab a 4790k when they hit local MicroCenter too, would be a waste of a board with just a 2600k :p

Mine was $289.99 delivered from B&H photo.

I had the SOC Force. Bought it based on Gigabytes marketing error where they described the VRM to have IR 3550 phases but was disappointed with it when I got it because I found lesser quality/performance IR 3553 VRM phases. Gigabyte corrected their WEB site since... I think I was one of the very first people to have one. I sent it back.

The Z97 WS has the top quality IR 3550 VRM phases.

Hope it works out for you. Also MC has the Z97 WS price jacked up.... MSRP on the Z97 WS is $289.99 which makes it a good value compared to other boards that have 4x PCI 3.0x8 ability.

I bought the board from newegg, i could have picked it up from BH as i live and work just few blocks away. But i have to wait for MC to release the 4790k cpu anyway, as i had a brain fard and thought i could use my 2600k on the board till then. (idiot me forgot about 1150/1155 socket difference.
I see that you are planning on same cpu, and delidding and die mounting it. I thought the 4790k chips are supposed to have a soldered on hear spreader versus tim.

Mine was $289.99 delivered from B&H photo.

I had the SOC Force. Bought it based on Gigabytes marketing error where they described the VRM to have IR 3550 phases but was disappointed with it when I got it because it lesser quality/performance IR 3553 VRM phases. Gigabyte corrected their WEB site since... I think I was one of the very first people to have one. I sent it back.

The Z97 WS has the top quality IR 3550 VRM phases.

Hope it works out for you. Also MC has the Z97 WS price jacked up.... MSRP on the Z97 WS is $289.99 which makes it a good value compared to other boards that have 4x PCI 3.0x8 ability.

B&H had the best price I could find.

Doh on thinking the 2600k would work with Z97..... :D

Ahh i see, i cant wait for some tests for delidded versus stock spreader/tim.
I might have to do that, as these will run much hotter then my 2600k

They are not soldered, intel just added better paste. You can delid them.

Back