Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 dead already?

JHFerry

Weaksauce
I have had my rig since August. Everything has been fine, no OC and a nice Thermaltake 750 PSU. I went to turn on my PC and I got nothing. Naturally I switched cords, reseated cables and all that when I assumed my PSU died so I bought a new Thermaltake 850 PSU. I got it all hooked up and still no boot. There are no lights on the mobo at all. You guys think its a dead board?

We had somebody recently post here about a similar circumstance and in his case it ended up being a short (actually from an external case-mounted USB port).

Generally a bad component such as CPU, video card, RAM, etc. will still allow the motherboard to power on if the PSU is working. Perhaps you'll want to unplug peripherals from the motherboard and try powering on. Or, worst case, pull the motherboard out from the case completely and place it on a piece of cardboard or something and try to power it on outside the case.

Yeah, most of which you mentioned I have been doing. Since it was working fine I did not suspect a video card, short etc. Especially since even with all of that the led's should be lit on the board I would think. What a pain and I can't get Gigabyte on the phone. With Xmas it will take a month to turn around if its the board.

In addition I also tried the big red PW_SW inside the case just in case it was the case.

Sorry to hear that happened to you. I just ordered this mobo last night! I'm hoping I don't run into any problems! Good luck on getting it all fixed and resolved!

Yeah it sucks, I have a Zalman water cooler in there and everything and it was a pain in the ass to put in. I still have not gotten Gigabyte on the phone but I am sure its a dead board. Meanwhile, this thing never showed a sign of issue so that scares me.

Got my Gigabyte put in last night. I love it. The only thing I do not like about this board is the placement of the USB 2.0 internal ports. Only two on in between the TMP and the sysfan 4! I would have liked to see another USB 2.0 port there making it 3 instead of 2. Bad placement IMO.That's the only con I have.

On a side note:

If this board makes through my one month of torture tests which I believe it will. So far it's survived some burn runs and P95!

I have to say this board is solid and overclocks easy. Great board and I'm glad I own it!

So a very weird update. After pulling everything apart I had the CMOS battery out and put it back in again. This time the power came back on. I reconnected everything and its been fine for days. Maybe the old PSU was flaky? Maybe this board has some built in protection or something? I don't know but its been really solid again. I left it on for 2 days just to make sure.

So a very weird update. After pulling everything apart I had the CMOS battery out and put it back in again. This time the power came back on. I reconnected everything and its been fine for days. Maybe the old PSU was flaky? Maybe this board has some built in protection or something? I don't know but its been really solid again. I left it on for 2 days just to make sure.

So what did you do to fix your issue? Did you replace your flaky PSU with a new PSU?

Just know I haven't had a single issue at all! My mobo boots up fast! And it overclocks excellent! :cool:

I have had my rig since August. Everything has been fine, no OC and a nice Thermaltake 750 PSU.

Which Thermaltake 750W PSU did you have? You see, Thermaltake offered both good and bad-quality PSUs with a 750W rating. I just hope that you did not have the TR2 RX 750W because that particular model can barely output 500W safely at most.

Which Thermaltake 750W PSU did you have? You see, Thermaltake offered both good and bad-quality PSUs with a 750W rating. I just hope that you did not have the TR2 RX 750W because that particular model can barely output 500W safely at most.

I am not at home but will check. I did leave the new 850W Thermaltake in there just to be sure. As for what I did to fix it, I just got lucky. Maybe It was the order of things but yanking the CMOS battery again brought it back to life. I have not even tried the old PSU in there again although it run when doing the paperclip test.

Back