GIGABYTE GA-Z77M-D3H doesn't have CPU voltage options?

I have a Core i5 2500K that I want to overclock to 4.8 GHz and get the lowest temperatures and voltages possible in doing so. Unfortunately, my board does not have the option to change any CPU-related voltages in the Advanced Voltage Settings of the M.I.T. The only option available is to change the DRAM voltage. I am using the latest F8 BIOS for the motherboard. This is odd since this is a non-OEM board. Will GIGABYTE add these options in a later BIOS version or should I RMA the board?

I have a Core i5 2500K that I want to overclock to 4.8 GHz and get the lowest temperatures and voltages possible in doing so. Unfortunately, my board does not have the option to change any CPU-related voltages in the Advanced Voltage Settings of the M.I.T. The only option available is to change the DRAM voltage. I am using the latest F8 BIOS for the motherboard. This is odd since this is a non-OEM board. Will GIGABYTE add these options in a later BIOS version or should I RMA the board?

Unfortunately, Gigabyte's lower-end Z77 motherboards have absolutely no manual CPU core voltage overrides at all whatsoever. But that does not mean that the CPU core voltage is permanently fixed at the reference 1.15V or so. Instead, the CPU core voltage setting is locked to the AUTO mode, which might limit overclockability of your K-series CPU if the automatically-selected Vcore gets raised high enough at relatively low overclocks (use something like CPU-Z and Prime95 to check the full-load Vcore). So in other words, if the autoselected Vcore is at a high 1.4V at a relatively low overclock set at 3.8GHz, you're stuck.

If you want manual voltage overrides on a Gigabyte Z77 mATX mobo, you will have to go for the GA-Z77MX-D3H (which is more expensive than the D3H).

Unfortunately, Gigabyte's lower-end Z77 motherboards have absolutely no manual CPU core voltage overrides at all whatsoever. But that does not mean that the CPU core voltage is permanently fixed at the reference 1.15V or so. Instead, the CPU core voltage setting is locked to the AUTO mode, which might limit overclockability of your K-series CPU if the automatically-selected Vcore gets raised high enough at relatively low overclocks (use something like CPU-Z and Prime95 to check the full-load Vcore). So in other words, if the autoselected Vcore is at a high 1.4V at a relatively low overclock set at 3.8GHz, you're stuck.

My voltage jumps to 1.308 V at 4 GHz full load. Looks like I'll RMA this board. BTW, what board do I need minimum to be able to adjust CPU voltages?

My voltage jumps to 1.308 V at 4 GHz full load. Looks like I'll RMA this board. BTW, what board do I need minimum to be able to adjust CPU voltages?

Sorry that you replied before I edited my post. Of the Gigabyte mATX Z77 mobos, only the GA-Z77MX-D3H allows any CPU voltage adjustments or overrides. Some other budget Z77 mobos also lack discrete manual Vcore adjustments whatsoever - they offer only CPU voltage offsets. In other words, you might have to go with a full-sized ATX mobo or pay more money for a Z77 motherboard that can handle such a high overclock well.

Sorry that you replied before I edited my post. Of the Gigabyte mATX Z77 mobos, only the GA-Z77MX-D3H allows any CPU voltage adjustments or overrides. Some other budget Z77 mobos also lack discrete manual Vcore adjustments whatsoever - they offer only CPU voltage offsets. In other words, you might have to go with a full-sized ATX mobo or pay more money for a Z77 motherboard that can handle such a high overclock well.

Okay thank you for the information.

Back