GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 Problems

ValVed RaY

Limp Gawd
I guess i'm one of the unlucky ones,
I'm about to RMA this board, but i'd figure i'd ask the forum for help first.
I bought this system from a forum member, and when i got it started, but would not post
And then i noticed it was doing endless restarts ranging from 1 second to 10 seconds and everywhere in between.
so i started troubleshooting, i removed all the components, made sure there wasn't a screw wedged between the motherboard and the case making it short out, there was nothing there.
I tried resetting the BIOS, no change, I managed to get a case speaker and hooked it up to see what error beep code it would give me, but it never beeped, reversed the polarity of the speaker, still nothing. Tried a single ram module, tried it on all the slots, did this on both, nothing.. Made sure the MB's Cpu pins weren't bent, they were all perfect, re-seated the CPU re-applied thermal paste. nothing. Tried no hard drives, single hd, nothing. I was just trying to get it to POST, so naturally i tried both DVI->VGA ports, hdmi. nothing. I then noticed when i plugged the keyboard it never lit up, Not even when i would shut off the system entirely and power it on, the keyboard didn't even flash.. tried every USB port on the thing.. nothing.

the phase led lights always remain lit, there are 2 green 2 orange and 2 red, all in a single file line. They never fluctuate i couldn't find any documentation on these lights except that they're supposed to indicate CPU utilization. now i don't know if these lights perform some sort of diagnostics that isn't mentioned in the manual (would make sense) so if anybody out there has this same mobo i would appreciate any help greatly. I heard some horrible stories from people trying to RMA this board to gigabyte experiencing the same thing i am. and gigabyte sending the board back, saying there's nothing wrong with it. I don't have any extra spare 1155 cpus or powersupply to test out, but i'm pretty certain it's the motherboard. any suggestions are welcome!

There are two ways you can invoke the backup BIOS.

1) if you want to boot of backup bios you need to short pin 6 & 7 on primary bios. Those are middle pins on the opposite side of where the white marker is (white marker usually points to pin1)

2) you can try turning off the PSU back rocker switch, and holding down the case power button. Then with the case power button held down, turn on the rocker switch. Then in about one second, quickly RELEASE the case power button and as close to as simultaneously possible, turn off the PSU back switch. Then power on normally, and if the secondary Bios is not corrupt, and the board itself isn't physically broken (or the CPU), the board should boot from the backup BIOS.

I tried the PSU Switch and power button combo a few times, but still no post
are you referring to the F_Panel jumpers i don't know which one is the bios your referring to

They're on the motherboard, two square IC"s, should have a name M_BIOS and B_Bios or something similar. They should be close to the RAM slots.

Shorting means you have to bridge the two above pins with either a screwdriver or paperclip.

gonna go look right now, and would i do that with the power off, power supply switch on and plugged, or system unplugged from wall?

so if they're numbered 1 on the top left i guess 2 would be top right and then 3 would be right below 1 and so on.

so just touch 6 in the M_BIOS and 7 in the B_BIOS with the power off and try?

I'm really not sure. Pin 1 should have a small arrow pointing towards it, or a dot or something right next to it. But yeah you're supposed to power on the board with pins 6 and 7 shorted and keep them shorted as the board boots, until it goes into bios recovery mode. This is second hand information, but the people who posted this are either GB employees or affiliated with them (I know dinos22 posted the pin info on xtremesystems).

Did you contact the forum member?
Did you buy the ENTIRE system from him? You mentioned system in your post...
If something didn't get damaged in shippping, I really hope he didn't pull a fast one on you....

Sounds like you did everything you could to make it work. How did you find which pins were 6 and 7?

I did contact him. i noticed the pin order matched what you were telling me. anyways the board is still under manufacturer warranty so i already bought a new one, because i'm not gonna wait for RMA process. once gigabyte sends me a new one, i'll make sure it works and then just sell it.

Yeah I've seen dead videocards prevent my old Abit IC7 max 3 from even posting. Funny how a board can Post and make the error beep without a videocard inserted, but a bad card causes the board to not even begin posting....

Back