GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H @ [H]

I still have the multiplier problem with the mobo. I disabled Hybrid Sleep in Vista and set the all the options in the BIOS screen to Auto and nothing works. I wish that I knew what was going on. Can anyone provide assistance? :confused:

Well this is what I use to avoid having to reboot after standby. Also can be used to take over control of C&C.

93901286jt0.jpg

Does anyone know if I'd still be able to use the HDMI output if I install a graphics card?

It would be totally awesome if I could install a graphics card and use that for my monitor and the integrated graphics for output to my TV.

Yes thats called Surroundview. When you put a graphics card in the pcie slot that will take over the display but if you go into the bios and enable surroundview and allocate some shared memory for the onboard gpu. Then when you are in windows you can display up to 4 signals.

65916027fs1.jpg

Yes thats called Surroundview. When you put a graphics card in the pcie slot that will take over the display but if you go into the bios and enable surroundview and allocate some shared memory for the onboard gpu. Then when you are in windows you can display up to 4 signals.

65916027fs1.jpg
Awesome, thanks.

F3b has almost no voltage adjustments, try flashing F3a instead.

(At work, out of reach from mobo...)

Is that the default shipped BIOS? I haven't changed it from the default. I can live with the latencies since DDR2 is cheap (this 2GB was $35 after MIR) but I was curious if I was being blind to something useful. But good to know that if I do want to fiddle with the RAM voltage, it should be doable.

I'm definitely liking this board. Currently have an X24000+ on it and at stock voltage is running 2.9Ghz. Getting ready to flash to the F3a BIOS to get some voltage options to see about getting some more speed out of the CPU. An 800mhz overclock at default voltage is pretty nice as far as I'm concerned. This is using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro heatsink.

It won't have the same IPC performance as my E6400 but if this processor isn't careful, it might match or beat the 3.4Ghz clock speed of my E6400. I just hope it likes voltage as the CPU is still running rather cool even at full load as I would like to get a good bit more out of it.

I bought this mobo together with LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray and HD DVD combo drive, now running on AMD X2 5000+ BE at 3.0GHz (200MHz clock and 15X multiplier). When playing Blu-ray, it seems ok. Good picture, 6 speaker config. But when playing HD DVD (Title: Galapagos), motion is not that smooth. CPU utilization is above 90% but not flatting out to 100%. Tested with Vista and XP, XP shows better video but still not perfect. I used the driver from Gigabyte CD and latest Catalyst drivers with same result.

Should I buy a better PCIe card (Radeon 2600 HD / GeForce 8600GTS) and forget about the onboard X1250 with HDMI?

Val

Don't know about HDMI audio, but HDCP is pretty much a requirement for HDMI. (Not actually in the specifications, but the phrase "de facto" comes to mind.)

HDCP support should never be thought of as de facto for HDMI. You would think so, but not being in the specifications and plenty of HDMI compatible hardware was made before HDCP support became popular. Graned this isn't typical of computer hardware, but there are quite a few TV's and components made with non-HDCP compatible HDMI ports.

Unfortunately, what it doesn't work well with is 4+GB of ram. there seems to be a 64bit DMA error on this chipset. Gigabyte came out with a bios patch to work around it, as did MSI for their 690G board, but some other ones (biostar's, for instance) are totally useless with any more than 3gb of ram onboard. Random screen corruption, BSOD, and black screen crashes in vista are the normal symptoms.

I made the mistake of getting one of the Biostar 690 boards. Last time I trust an AMD chipset for a bit... I'm going to Nforce 570 instead.

edit: I see this was mentioned before in this review. Just a second to the problem though, and a "hesitate before you recommend 690's" comment.

The issue is with Vista's installer. There is a documented issue handling 4GB of ram during the Vista installation process. There is a patch to fix this, but one would have to create a slipstreamed version of the OS install disk to overcome the problem or the other fix is to remove one of the modules during installation and then re-install it after the OS is patched post installation.

Must be unique to Vista then. I've had this board for a couple of months already, running 4x1GB with no issues in XP64. I was using F3b almost from the beginning, but just tried F3a last week. Works flawlessly either way.

It is a problem unique to Vista. The 680i SLI reference boards have the same issue.

HDCP support should never be thought of as de facto for HDMI. You would think so, but not being in the specifications and plenty of HDMI compatible hardware was made before HDCP support became popular. Graned this isn't typical of computer hardware, but there are quite a few TV's and components made with non-HDCP compatible HDMI ports.

The issue is with Vista's installer. There is a documented issue handling 4GB of ram during the Vista installation process. There is a patch to fix this, but one would have to create a slipstreamed version of the OS install disk to overcome the problem or the other fix is to remove one of the modules during installation and then re-install it after the OS is patched post installation.
Totally different issue. We're talking about the white bar of death error (total corruption of the desktop at boot without the bios patch, namely a set of huge white bars that go accross the screen near the middle), not the error in installation (Which the 690 also has ;)). Trust me, we did every hotfix and patch possible, but 4gb on a 690 board without the bios patch (see the biostar board, the TA690G) results in a completely unusable system. Fortunately, Gigabyte and MSI at least patched the bios.
It is a problem unique to Vista. The 680i SLI reference boards have the same issue.

My 570 board has the 4gb issue as well. The DMA error is totally different, sadly. Biostar told us to @%$@# off, we weren't getting a patch for the TA690.

edit: can't find the original pages for the links, but basically, the PCI remapping doesn't work right.

Totally different issue. We're talking about the white bar of death error (total corruption of the desktop at boot without the bios patch, namely a set of huge white bars that go accross the screen near the middle), not the error in installation (Which the 690 also has ;)). Trust me, we did every hotfix and patch possible, but 4gb on a 690 board without the bios patch (see the biostar board, the TA690G) results in a completely unusable system. Fortunately, Gigabyte and MSI at least patched the bios.

My 570 board has the 4gb issue as well. The DMA error is totally different, sadly. Biostar told us to @%$@# off, we weren't getting a patch for the TA690.

edit: can't find the original pages for the links, but basically, the PCI remapping doesn't work right.

Interesting. Have you tried the Microsoft patch for the DMA problem?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/en-us

I see you all here like the f3a bios. I have downloaded via the link in this thread. I end up with a 512kb bin file. when I extract it i get a 128kb bin file. is this normal? what do it do from here?

I just ordered a 8800 GT that I'm going to install on this motherboard but I'm wondering if I'm going to run into any problems, has anyone installed a nVidia video card on this motherboard before? I'm hoping there wont be any problems when i have to uninstall the old drivers for the igp.

I see you all here like the f3a bios. I have downloaded via the link in this thread. I end up with a 512kb bin file. when I extract it i get a 128kb bin file. is this normal? what do it do from here?

what do you mean, you extracted the bin file?

The file I downloaded via the link is .bin extension which I assumed need to be uncompressed or extracted. I an extraction program to do this in windows like isobuster. Anyway does the q-flash use the .bin directly?

When I went to Gigabytes site I see the offer the upgrade bios as .exe which I thought I would get after extracting. Any help is greatly appreciated. The only flashing I have done in the past is via windows.

The files I flashed actually had f3a and f3b as extensions, IIRC. :confused: I just copied them onto a flash drive, booted into the Flash Utility (built into BIOS), and navigated to the right drive, and that was that.

The file I downloaded via the link is .bin extension which I assumed need to be uncompressed or extracted. I an extraction program to do this in windows like isobuster. Anyway does the q-flash use the .bin directly?

When I went to Gigabytes site I see the offer the upgrade bios as .exe which I thought I would get after extracting. Any help is greatly appreciated. The only flashing I have done in the past is via windows.

woah. No, you don't extract the .bin file: This isn't an image, it's a bios binary byte block. you especially shouldn't have used something like isobuster on it: It's definitely NOT a cd-image. :p

Redownload the 512k bin and use qflash to flash it.

The .exe is just the .bin file, the flash program, and a readme in a single file. that's it. You normally make a bootable floppy/usb stick, put those files on it, boot from it, and then run the flash program.

If you've never done this before, I'd be mighty careful about doing it. You can kill your board.

I just ordered a 8800 GT that I'm going to install on this motherboard but I'm wondering if I'm going to run into any problems, has anyone installed a nVidia video card on this motherboard before? I'm hoping there wont be any problems when i have to uninstall the old drivers for the igp.

I didnt have any issues Used driver cleaner

I've got the Biostar TA690G mobo in a Silverstone Sugo SG01 Case w 4 gb of G.Skill DDR800 2x2048 mem and other than the Vista x64 install issue, it's worked flawless since day one. The specs even say it'll only support 4 gb memory total, but I've tried it with 8gb, 4x2048 ddr800 and it worked fine. Maybe I'm lucky?

I've got the Biostar TA690G mobo in a Silverstone Sugo SG01 Case w 4 gb of G.Skill DDR800 2x2048 mem and other than the Vista x64 install issue, it's worked flawless since day one. The specs even say it'll only support 4 gb memory total, but I've tried it with 8gb, 4x2048 ddr800 and it worked fine. Maybe I'm lucky?

a few random people seem to get it working, most of us get a major display corruption issue though.
Question: you using the internal video card, or an add-on card? There's a theory going that the bus corruption only happens if you're using a PCIE add-on card. If you're keeping the transfers internal to the Northbridge, it may work fine (it's a display DMA bus transfer issue).

We tried 4 different procs, 3 sets of ram, and 2 mobos. We couldn't get a TA690G to get stable with 4gb, although we never tried the built in video.

a few random people seem to get it working, most of us get a major display corruption issue though.
Question: you using the internal video card, or an add-on card? There's a theory going that the bus corruption only happens if you're using a PCIE add-on card. If you're keeping the transfers internal to the Northbridge, it may work fine (it's a display DMA bus transfer issue).

We tried 4 different procs, 3 sets of ram, and 2 mobos. We couldn't get a TA690G to get stable with 4gb, although we never tried the built in video.

I'm using a Saphire 2600 XT 512mb PCIe card, and I have the internal activated so I can run 3 lcds using DVI. I have a single LG 204W 20.1" WS and 2 Acer 192W 19" WS running on it, it's basically a workstation until I get around to building my Gaming box. I play some games on it, but nothing intensive like Crysis or bioshock ;)

I'm hoping the revised Phenom's actually appear in Q1 along with a good 790FX mobo with the newer 700SB chip so I can build a Spider rig using 2x 3870's. I feel the power of this build should be "good enough" for my needs, and slightly cheaper than going Intel.

I'm using a Saphire 2600 XT 512mb PCIe card, and I have the internal activated so I can run 3 lcds using DVI. I have a single LG 204W 20.1" WS and 2 Acer 192W 19" WS running on it, it's basically a workstation until I get around to building my Gaming box. I play some games on it, but nothing intensive like Crysis or bioshock ;)

I'm hoping the revised Phenom's actually appear in Q1 along with a good 790FX mobo with the newer 700SB chip so I can build a Spider rig using 2x 3870's. I feel the power of this build should be "good enough" for my needs, and slightly cheaper than going Intel.

dunno then. Honestly, most people can't get it to work.

does anyone know of any good hardware moniters that display temps under 0C the only one i know of is speedfan but i knot know whats what on it, if u guys could lend a hand on that it would be nice, or point me in the right direction for one that does, i had to switch from hmoniter because it doesnt work w/ this board

also i finaly got around to getting my pelt rolling again, and my idle temps acording to speed fan are -26C so debunking the cold bug thing with the 65nm amd's, cuz i can boot @ 2.5ghz @ that, and 1ghz on the ram :)

Could someone please repost the link the Microsoft patch for solving the 4GB problem.

Does anyone know if this board will fit a Cooler Master GeminII? Either direction is fine, but I need to fit 5gb of RAM and use the GeminII

im having some major stability issues, i can boot windows just fine @ 3.5ghz, but it crashes when i do anything, it does the same with same volatges @ 3.4 ghz, my temps are no issue under -5C load temps @ 1.5v but i usually run ~1.475 to 1.45v and ideas? ram is stable and ive gotten the board way over the freq its runnin now :confused:

im having some major stability issues, i can boot windows just fine @ 3.5ghz, but it crashes when i do anything, it does the same with same volatges @ 3.4 ghz, my temps are no issue under -5C load temps @ 1.5v but i usually run ~1.475 to 1.45v and ideas? ram is stable and ive gotten the board way over the freq its runnin now :confused:

Sounds like you hit the "wall " on your CPU. Did you run memtest to check the ram?
You running the F3a bios?
Oh and try using Core temp and check the heat increase when you out the cpu under load. It records my temps incorrectly says I am running @ 5c right now on air in a thats 20c room lol.

My BE 5000 will not run over 3100mhz stable. I can post and run 1m pi stuff but Ortho's kicks out everytime. I am running 1.350v now @ 3087 with a 280fsb and 514Mem thats 24/7 stable.

Forgot all about this; anyone try VMWare on this board? I'm running a 9500, F4 BIOS, and XP MCE, and VMWare Server tells me that 64-bit guests are 100% not allowed.

Forgot all about this; anyone try VMWare on this board? I'm running a 9500, F4 BIOS, and XP MCE, and VMWare Server tells me that 64-bit guests are 100% not allowed.

That may be a limitation of the 9500, not the board. I'll double check with the guys at work, but I'm pretty sure it's not the board (VMWare Technical Engineer here)

Oh, and real fast: That a 64bit XP, or 32bit? If 32, then of course you can't run a 64bit guest!

That may be a limitation of the 9500, not the board. I'll double check with the guys at work, but I'm pretty sure it's not the board (VMWare Technical Engineer here)

Oh, and real fast: That a 64bit XP, or 32bit? If 32, then of course you can't run a 64bit guest!

You can run 64 bit guest OSes under 32 bit Windows with VMWare. There are a lot of people doing this for the Linux SMP client for F@H since it gets much better points per day. The Linux SMP F@H client requires a 64 bit OS to run. Most of the people doing this are running a 32 bit Windows OS for the host and 64 bit Linux OSes for the guest OSes.

What I am wondering here is if I can go buy a phenom and drop it into a GA-MA69GM-S2H and then do the bios update to fully support it?

Anyone done this?

I don't have another CPU to do the bios update with so that is why I'm wondering.

I either want the 5000+ black edition or the 9500 phenom, but can't afford to buy one cpu to do the bios update then get the other one too.

XP Media Center, 32-bit. The BIOS does have an option for Virtualization (Enable or Disable), I have it enabled. And thanks in advance. :)
You can run 64 bit guest OSes under 32 bit Windows with VMWare. There are a lot of people doing this for the Linux SMP client for F@H since it gets much better points per day. The Linux SMP F@H client requires a 64 bit OS to run. Most of the people doing this are running a 32 bit Windows OS for the host and 64 bit Linux OSes for the guest OSes.
He beat me to it. :) That is a big part of why I was trying it. With true virtualization, you can absolutely run a 64-bit guest on a 32-bit host.
What I am wondering here is if I can go buy a phenom and drop it into a GA-MA69GM-S2H and then do the bios update to fully support it?

Anyone done this?

I don't have another CPU to do the bios update with so that is why I'm wondering.

I either want the 5000+ black edition or the 9500 phenom, but can't afford to buy one cpu to do the bios update then get the other one too.
No, you need an Athlon or Sempron to finish the flash to F4 first. With F3, the board doesn't even get to the BIOS to allow you to flash. You can use a $20 Sempron for the flash if you need to.

Lopoetve:
XP Media Center, Office 2003. Just confirmed at Microsoft Update, everything is up-to-date. I'm running the latest build of VMWare Server, just checked for updates (from the Help Menu) and it says no new versions available. F4 official BIOS, Media Center Away Mode enabled in BIOS. Virtualization is enabled in the BIOS as well. LMK if you need me to verify any other settings.

XP Media Center, 32-bit. The BIOS does have an option for Virtualization (Enable or Disable), I have it enabled. And thanks in advance. :)

He beat me to it. :) That is a big part of why I was trying it. With true virtualization, you can absolutely run a 64-bit guest on a 32-bit host.

No, you need an Athlon or Sempron to finish the flash to F4 first. With F3, the board doesn't even get to the BIOS to allow you to flash. You can use a $20 Sempron for the flash if you need to.

Lopoetve:
XP Media Center, Office 2003. Just confirmed at Microsoft Update, everything is up-to-date. I'm running the latest build of VMWare Server, just checked for updates (from the Help Menu) and it says no new versions available. F4 official BIOS, Media Center Away Mode enabled in BIOS. Virtualization is enabled in the BIOS as well. LMK if you need me to verify any other settings.

Can you give me the exact build number (latest build means something different for me)? And is this Beta2, or one of our prior releases?

Back