GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R: A Solid Buy?

falconxxxpunch

Limp Gawd
Check it out here. I'm getting it to go with my new Core i7 920 rig, which you can check out here.

It seems like everyone who is making an i7 rig is getting a P6T Deluxe, but its a little pricey for me. Will this thing keep me satisfied?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Gigabyte is a solid manufacturer for motherboard, I don't think you will run into much of a hassle. Reason people are buying the Asus is because Asus is known for overclocking better than most boards.

4 DIMM sockets? I guess that at least that gives you the flexibility to run dual channel and that price sure is tempting

But the Question is, how good does it overclock with that Memory configuration?

I'm not sure it is dual channel with 4 sticks. The memory configuration is kinda odd, 4 sticks gives tri-channel. So you can't double up for dual channel or tri (obviously)

Also is doesn't appear to support SLi, CrossFireX only as far as I can see.

There's a vanilla P6T due any time soon. 3 PCi-e slots unlike the deluxe and 6 dimm sockets.

Yeah, you can only get dual channel on that board with 2 sticks. I'd go with a 3 stick tri-channel configuration if I were to run this board. I suspect it'd be a decent overclocker but you may not be able to push it as hard as a UD5 which is only $90 more. If you really can't afford any of the $300 boards, this will probably be as good as it gets for now in the $200 range. Crossfire only though so keep that in mind as well.

Now I am really confused!
3 Chanel with 4 slots filled don't compute for me.
I wold have guessed 4 slots full could only be dual not Tri.
Lost here!!

Now I am really confused!
3 Chanel with 4 slots filled don't compute for me.
I wold have guessed 4 slots full could only be dual not Tri.
Lost here!!
With the memory controller moved off the north bridge, we have a lot more flexibility with RAM these days. See how the board has three DIMM slots all the same color? There is your single tri-channel. :cool:

Thank you Tobit.
It would seem with this you can also populate all 4 and run in unrestricted 3 Chanel mode, maybe.

"When memory modules of different capacity and chips are installed, a message which
says memory is operating in Flex Memory Mode will appear during the POST. Intel Flex
Memory Technology offers greater flexibility to upgrade by allowing different memory sizes
to be populated and remain in Dual/3 Channel mode/performance."

Then there is the Dozen Turnaround settings per stick to play with,

Shit I will still be working on the settings this time next Christmas!

I'm wondering this as well. Tax return time is in 3 weeks for me and I have this board firmly targeted at this point based solely on it's low cost and my previous good experiences with Gigabyte's 965-DS3 board.

I would go for a ASUS p6t for $40 more.

Too many ppl having issues w/ the Deluxe version. And the point is to save a little money...there's always something to spend another $40 on.

Edit: Not to mention that I was looking for feedback on this board, not looking for suggestions for another.

Too many ppl having issues w/ the Deluxe version. And the point is to save a little money...there's always something to spend another $40 on.

Edit: Not to mention that I was looking for feedback on this board, not looking for suggestions for another.

to me four dimm is a limitation. I guess four slot of rams wont run in tri channel mode. I wish my board has 8slots, so that I don't need to dump my 1gb rams to upgrad to 8gb.

to me four dimm is a limitation. I guess four slot of rams wont run in tri channel mode. I wish my board has 8slots, so that I don't need to dump my 1gb rams to upgrad to 8gb.

Why would you think that? It only takes 3 dimm slots to run Tri-Channel. So yes, this mobo does run Tri-Channel. The only limitation I see there is that I won't be able to just add another 3 sticks later....I'll need to actually replace the 3. I personally feel like 6GB of RAM will hold me over long enough for 3x4GB RAM to come down to a very reasonable price....so I'm not too concerned about it at the moment.

As a heads up, bought this board today and so far it's been a great board. It arrived with bios F1 on it, but a quick flash to F3 solved the double boot while OC'd. I likey :D

Can anyone confirm whether or not this board supports SLi? I don't consider Newegg reliable on this point, and I'm not sure how to tell.

Cheapest is not the best answer. I am not the latest tech seeker type person but i want something i wont have to upgrade down the road. If you are spending money get whats best for your needs. I really wanted tat Gigabyte board but the memory slots is the main thing that kept me away. I want a board that i wont have to upgrade in the future and it seems you will have to with the Giga unless you are fine with 6gb of RAM 2-3 years from now. I believe since 4gb is standard now and with the i7s 6GB will be standard, in 2 years 12GB will be standard with prices going down even more.

I read somewhere that you can fill in that one slot with an extra stick of DDR3 ram and that would be your only upgrade route on the memory, but who knows how well that works and what kind of performance it will offer, if not hinder it...

What i am trying to say is, get it if you dont mind throwing money out in the future when 3x4gb sticks come down in price (if they will even). If you look at DDR2 prices for 3x3gb sticks, they are in 200$ zones, not so cheap compared to 2x2gb od DDR2, so DDR3 wont change much either but you never know. To me its not worth buying 6gb of ram and when you want 12gb of ram down the road you will need to resell the old memory and buy new...not worth it, for ME.

Get what suits your needs.

I see no reason to not get this board unless you absolutely intend to run 6 sticks of DDR3, which I never really intend to do. When I decide 6Gb isn't enough for me anymore, we'll be in mid-2010 at least by that point and 4Gb DDR3 sticks will be my next option to replace my "older", lower capacity set with.

This board, though cheaper then then others, should NOT be thought of as "cheap". It's still a lower end enthusiast class motherboard with ALL the overclocking ability of it's big brothers. On stock cooling it let's my 920 tag 3.6Ghz for benchmarking purposes (a little toasty there though, waiting on my TRUE mounting kit).

Since my buddy is 'pushing' to buy my current computer, Im "specing" out perspective boards to build a new system. I also looked at that board as a possible upgrade to the Nehalem cores. What am I missing here? Since when did 4-6GB seem too "skimpy" for modern-day computing operations and gameplay? Is DDR3 that inefficient? I'm using four gigs of DDR2-800 currently with an E8500 o/c to 3800MHz on a P35...NOT even a P45 platform. I would think that with supposedly faster ram, a more efficient processor and a better chipset (on the m/b) my computing should be faster all around, compared to my current rig. Is there really that much benefit to having 6GB and above...if you are'nt doing really intensive stuff?

Back