Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3P motherboard

Wow, I am so glad you took the time to post this. I appreciate it greatly! There are a TON more options on this board then my old one. When I peeked into the BIOS I was a little intimidated. I appreciate you taking the time to write all those down, very generous of you. I will try the same settings and report back what I can achive.

My chip did very well in my other board so I will keep my fingers crossed. At stock settings, the BIOS detected my RAM speed perfectly(Corsair Dominator 1066 2.1v 5-5-5-15), I didn't check the timings yet.

Thanks again for giving me a point to start from.

--Ed

Well I could not sucessfully use those settings. I did however overclock to 3.6 on air at 1.42 volts. I am however having a TON of other problems with this board.

I am having problems with my three day old UD3P motherboard that I just bought from the Egg. I am losing internet connectivity from one of the NIC ports, and I have also had the reboot problem. Even though it didn't go into a continuous reboot cycle, sometimes when you turn it on it will begin, then shut back down, then begin again and boot fine.

I have cleared the CMOS, ran optimized defaults, installed drivers, rolled back drivers all to no avail. I am beginning to think that the quality control on this board is horrible. What else leads me to believe this is when I unboxed it to install, one of the northbridge coolers button screws looked cockeyed. When I tried to tighten it, it literally came apart. Apparently it was cross threaded, or actually not threadded at all at the factory and was just sitting there waiting to fall off. I went to Home Depot and grabbed some nuts and bolts that could accomidate the retention springs and installed them.

Basically what I am getting at is I am going to try to flash the BIOS (even though this has the latest one) and if that doesn't fix these problems, I am RMA'ing the board. I don't know if I will get another Gigabyte or just go with something from ASUS. I am very dissapointed in this board and Gigabyte's apparant lack of quality control.

Yes, I set the RAM timings and voltages manually in this motherboard, so no that is not the problem.

Hi all, I got a quick question about the safe voltage for the P45 chip. The absolute max specified by intel is 1.21v, but people are using 1.3~1.4v when OC Quads. How safe it is using voltage in that range? It seems people are judging how safe it is by how well the motherboard is able to dissipate the heat generated. How about the voltage damage like when people are talking about the max safe CPU voltage?

Last edited:
I think I might get this board, I'm looking for a stable board (no OC needed) for my HTPC. I think I'll pair this up with an E6500 and 4gigs of ram.

Any last thoughts?

I think I might get this board, I'm looking for a stable board (no OC needed) for my HTPC. I think I'll pair this up with an E6500 and 4gigs of ram.

Any last thoughts?

You should be just fine with this board. It has many features and is a very stable board even when overclocked. However, if your only using this for a htpc I would suggest taking a look at the cheaper GA-EP45-UD3R as it's essentially the same board as the UD3P it just has one PCI-E rather than two.

You may even check out the specs for the even cheaper UD3L if it will meet your needs it can give you more money to spare on other needed parts.

Last edited:
Has anyone experiences the following? :

Tun OFF Gigabyte ATA controller
Turn ON AHCI mode for ICH10
Reboot
System functions normally EXCEPT I am not able to get back into Bios setting no matter how fast I try to press "Del" Key. Leaving me the only option of resetting Bios by shorting the pins.

I usually like to turn off things I don't use, but in this case I have no choice but leaving the Gigabyte ATA controller on. I wonder if it has to do with my usb keyboard or is it just a little glitch with the bios.

Last edited:
Is there an option in the bios that will allow me to run sata ports on AHCI and others on IDE at the same time? I've tried using my GA sata for my HDD in AHCI and the native in ide for my dvd combo but the benchmarks were horrible. I flipped them around and the DVD drive won't recognize in the GA ports.

I'm asking this because I think theres an issue with my dvd drive and AHCI mode.

Also, what is the changes from F9 to F10 bios? I can't find the information anywhere online.

you can only select one drive mode at a time:-
IDE
AHCI
RAID
Time to retire your old DVD ?
Ehh, it's only about 2 years old. I wonder if there is a way to tell if it's actually compatible with AHCI or not? lite on LH-16A1S-15

yes they are compatable with AHCI, but are a mass produced low cost ~£15 item and sometimes start to play up. might be worth cleaning it with a cd lens cleaner disc, to see if that improves things.

I posted in the main thread about my problem, but since this is the motherboard I have I thought I'd give this a shot too.

Mainly, when I shut down, my computer doesn't fully 'shutdown'. Rather, the fans stay spinning, my video card fan is spinning, but my hard drives do not appear to be. If I hold the power button on the front to turn the machine off then on the next reboot it won't start correctly. I have to remove power from the psu and plug it back in. I can't find ANY help, so I'm begging the masters of the [H]. I haven't tried different memory yet, which is about all I have left to try, but my computer seems to run stable until I go to shut down and have this problem, I can't stand it.

Don't know if you have one, but Creative launched a driver "update" that caused hanging issues when you shut down. I didn't see one in your specs, but thought I would throw that out there. If you do have an Creative Soundcard and are experiencing issues, go to their forums and look at a post that addresses this issue (very long and almost always on top, or at least on the front page)

--Ed

According to my GA-EP45-UD3P manual it says that "Use of a power supply providing a 2x4 12v power connector is recommended by the CPU manufacture using an Intel Extreme Edition CPU (130w).

I have an Antec 550w TPII PSU that has a 2x2 12v connector only. I want to run my GA-EP45-UD3P and E8400 to >3.8ghz is a 2x2 12v connector on the TPII going to be enough?

If not would you recommend getting a 4pin molex to 2x4 adapter? Or a different PSU?

I have a question with this mobo (I love it!), I've been using the F5 BIOS revision, and I know there are several newer versions. I know updating the BIOS is only recommended when necessary, but am I missing out on any of the new updates? Also, what is the latest one now, F9?

I have a question with this mobo (I love it!), I've been using the F5 BIOS revision, and I know there are several newer versions. I know updating the BIOS is only recommended when necessary, but am I missing out on any of the new updates? Also, what is the latest one now, F9?

F10F beta... I am running the F10E and love it. Fixed the stupid reboot loop issues and my overclock is finally 100% stable. F9 is the latest official bios but the Beta versions for me have been better.

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
Robust Graphics Booster ............... Auto
CPU Clock Ratio ..........................10x
Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................0
CPU Frequency ...........................3.60
Clock Chip Control
CPU Host Clock Control..................Enabled
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............360
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .....100 lock
C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]
Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
CPU Clock Drive...........................800 default
PCI Express Clock Drive................900 default
CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................0
MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................0
DRAM Performance Control
Performance Enhance................Extreme
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....Profile 1
(G)MCH Frequency Latch............... 333
System Memory Multiplier(SPD) ..............2.40b
Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............800 864mhz
DRAM Timing Table ................Manual

Standard Timing Control
CAS Latency Time................5
tRCD .................................4
tRP'....................................4
tRAS..................................12
Advanced Timing Control
tRRD..........................................3
tWTR..........................................3
tWR............................................6
tRFC...........................................52
tRTP...........................................3
Command Rate (CMD) .................2 T
Driving Strength Profiles
Driving Strength ............................1066 (channel A & B)

Channel A
Static tRead Value..........................8
tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................auto
tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................auto
tRD Phase2 Adjustment ..................auto
tRD Phase3 Adjustment...................auto
Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................6
Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................6
Twr2rd(Different Rank)................... 5
Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................8
Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............auto
Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............auto
DDR Write Training…………………….auto

Channel B
Static tRead Value.........................8

tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................auto
tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................auto
tRD Phase2 Adjustment ..................auto
tRD Phase3 Adjustment...................auto
Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................6
Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................6
Twr2rd(Different Rank)................... 5
Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................8
Dimm1 Clock Skew Control............auto
Dimm2 Clock Skew Control............auto
DDR Write Training…………………auto

Motherboard Voltage Control
Voltage Type.………... Manual
CPU
Load Line Enabled
CPU Vcore….………...1.37500v
(cpu vid range 0.850v-1.36250v)
CPU Termination….....1.320v
CPU PLL………………1.500V
CPU Reference.………0.836v

MCH/ICH
MCH Core…………….....1.240V
MCH Reference….…….0.756v
MCH/DRAM Ref.….....0.980v
ICH I/O………………...1.500V
ICH Core…………...…1.200v

DRAM
DRAM Voltage ……....1.960v
DRAM Termination…..0.980v
Channel A Reference .0.980v
Channel B Reference..0.980v

Advanced Settings
Limit CPUID Max. to 3....................disabled
No-Execute Memory Protect............enabled
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................enabled cpu throttles according to load on it.
C2/C2E State Support....................disabled
x C4/C4E State Support..................disabled
CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ..........enabled
CPU EIST Function.........................disabled
Virtualization Technology................disabled Enabled if you use VMware/Virtual PC(not listed anymore in bios)
Integrated Peripherals & Other Settings
Onboard H/W Lan 1..enabled
Onboard H/W Lan 2..disabled
Green Lan..disabled
On Board LAN Boot Rom….disabled
Smart Lan…press enter not used
On Board Serial Port 1...disabled
On Board Parallel Port 1...disabled
On Board SATA/IDE device..disabled anything IDE use
Onboard H/W 1394 enabled
SATA Port 0-3 native mode…enabled yellows
SATA Raid /AHCI Mode…..disabled yellows
All USB 1.0/2.0 controller enabled
USB Mouse Function.…..enabled
USB Keyboard Function...enabled
USB Store Function………..enabled
Azalia Codec...enabled
Drive A..1.44 disabled
Floppy 3 Mode Support…disabled
HDD Smart Capability…..disabled
Delay for HDD…….(0)
Initial Display First….PEG..IMPORTANT
First Boot Device OS hard drive
2nd Boot Device…disabled
3rd Boot Device…disabled
Password Check…enter….set up not used
CPU Warning Temp 70c/158f
CPU Fan Fail Warning…enabled
Power Fan Fail warning….disabled
System Fan Fail warning…disabled
CPU smart fan control…disabled arctic freezer pro on want it on from get go.
PNP/PCI all autos
Soft Off by Pwr Button…4sec
PME Event Wakeup..disabled
Power On by Ring....disabled
Resume by Alarm…..disabled
HPET Support Enabled
HPET Mode 32 or 64 Select as Req’d
Pwr On by Mouse …….disabled
Pwr On by Keyboard…disabled
AC back Function…soft-off
ACPI Suspend…SE(str)
Soft Off by Pwr Button Delay 4 sec

I use boot F12 key for anything else I need to call up

Bios 10e
E-7300 cpu 45nm LGA 775
Thermal 65w
Buss 1066MHz.
Thermal Spec 74.1c
L2 Cache 3Mb.

Obtained with '7 64 bit.
35 Intels Burn test High Setting

Last edited:
I just installed this board along with an ATI 4890. I am trying to o/c higher than my previous 3.3Ghz (1.3vcore) on my 650i-SLI. So far I had to do a lot of tweaking to get my Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz. I am actually on my 6th round of tweaking with the settings.

Q6600 G0 VID 1.2375v

BIOS settings:
CPU clock drive 900mv
PCIe clock drive 900mv

vcore 1.3875v
VTT 1.28v
PLL 1.57v

MCH Core 1.22v

The rest of the settings are in normal or auto. CPU-Z reports 1.392 for vCore. So far I've 40 mins into prime95 and this is usually are the o/c fails so hopefully these settings are stable.

I am cooling the CPU with a cooler master v8 because my old tuniq tower did not fit the motherboard. My idle and load temperatures are roughly the same even though I am using more cpu voltage. Also the cooler master is silent stock than the tuniq (I had a scythe slipstream on the tuniq too). My idle is 35c and right now the highest load temperature that core temp is reporting is 74c.

Ultimately I would like to get some user input on lowering my vcore once I get this stable. Any users with the same CPU and their settings would be helpful.

UPDATE:
The o/c failed after 7 hours on prime95 and core temp recorded a peak of 77c.

Going to try upping the MCH core to 1.3v and VTT to 1.3v

Update2:
Using OCCT instead of prime95 and trying for 2 hours stable.

Update3:
The system is now stable using the above settings.

Last edited:
i have a problem with the ga-ep45-ud3lr im running vista 32 bit- 3.2 quadcore extreme-nvidia 9700 series grafics card- 1tb drive the ram im using is team elite dd2 800mhz as soon as i put more ram in it will not post bios and will shut down ive even tryed a fresh a fresh install any1 have any idea's :confused :confused:

My Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P board had the same issue going from 4 GB to 8 GB of OCZ RAM.

I changed to a different brand of RAM (G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B) and was able to install 4 sticks just fine.

hmmmm bios f5

Update your bios to f10e or f10f they fix a lot of issues. The f5 is really old and I had a lot of problems with it. The bios update is simple over a USB stick I think has to be formatted Fat32. This board is solid but the bios made worlds of differnce to me. I was getting all kinds of reboot loops etc with the old bios.

so i made the jump and grabbed one these boards after hearing great things from them.

now my question, to oc pretty hard (i want my q6700 @ 3.8 at least) does the stock board cooling need upgraded? I already put an active on the southbridge, which doesn't mean much. But i was wondering if i should grab a thermalright or enzo upgrade for the NB and mosfets or is stock good for a high stable clock (cpu is under WATER! and i'm coming off a 780i that had flaming hot NB temps)

any ideas are appreciated...i'm basically riding this board out as long as possible.

Last edited:
i'm basically riding this board out as long as possible

That statement, imo, absolutely makes a complete rework of all board cooling imperative.

cpu is under wanter
I believe you intended "water" which makes cooling the components around the CPU socket (mosfets, caps, etc. associated with the CPU voltage regulation circuitry) even more critical for long life, reliabilty, stablity and OCing as active airflow in this area has been eliminated by a water block.

I would run it for a week to ensure the board is functioning properly and hopefully eliminate the possiblity of infant mortality.

I would (then) reapply/replace the thermal grease under the heatpipe section with something good (mainly to ensure the factory application was sufficient but one you pull it apart you might as well put AS5 or your favorite stuff on.). I would access the hardware holding down the heatpipe and consider replacing with something better/spring loaded/allowing improved clamping force. Stock might be OK /shrug.

I would rip off that sheetmetal "bling" covers off of both heatsinks on the heatpipes.

I would find some way to glue a small fan onto the upper (mosfet section) of the heatpipe with RTV silicone adhesive.

I would investigate that 'stand alone" mosfet heatsink near the edge of the board with a look at improving the mounting/thermal grease etc. keeping in mind there might be thermal pads (yuck) instead of grease and the clearances/board flex might not allow thermal grease to be used. I would be looking at what I could do to fix that (stiffener under the board, better retention hardware, etc. ) .

I would make sure I had a fan in the case either pointed or ducted so that I had direct air movement, no matter how slight, over that entire area of the board.

But thats just me.

That statement, imo, absolutely makes a complete rework of all board cooling imperative.

I believe you intended "water" which makes cooling the components around the CPU socket (mosfets, caps, etc. associated with the CPU voltage regulation circuitry) even more critical for long life, reliabilty, stablity and OCing as active airflow in this area has been eliminated by a water block.

I would run it for a week to ensure the board is functioning properly and hopefully eliminate the possiblity of infant mortality.

I would (then) reapply/replace the thermal grease under the heatpipe section with something good (mainly to ensure the factory application was sufficient but one you pull it apart you might as well put AS5 or your favorite stuff on.). I would access the hardware holding down the heatpipe and consider replacing with something better/spring loaded/allowing improved clamping force. Stock might be OK /shrug.

I would rip off that sheetmetal "bling" covers off of both heatsinks on the heatpipes.

I would find some way to glue a small fan onto the upper (mosfet section) of the heatpipe with RTV silicone adhesive.

I would investigate that 'stand alone" mosfet heatsink near the edge of the board with a look at improving the mounting/thermal grease etc. keeping in mind there might be thermal pads (yuck) instead of grease and the clearances/board flex might not allow thermal grease to be used. I would be looking at what I could do to fix that (stiffener under the board, better retention hardware, etc. ) .

I would make sure I had a fan in the case either pointed or ducted so that I had direct air movement, no matter how slight, over that entire area of the board.

But thats just me.

thanks bill, yes i meant water. The board is solid, it was purchased from a friend who moved to i7, he ran it for about 8 months and i was there when he purchased it. So I don't think it will face an early demise. I have already done the usual cooling applications, active copper heatsink on the southbridge, mx-3 on the nb chip and the side mosfets. also already removed the "bling" tops :D as you put it and affixed fans at both locations. I mainly was uncertain how the stock cooling fared for this board in contrast to say my 780i, which the stock cooling on there was a waste of metal and was immediately replaced with a waterblock and enzotech coolers.

i'll continue on this route for now and see what kind of temperatures i'm getting. Then take steps from there. I take it there are no water blocks for this particular board that are not made in germany and cost more than the board itself?

I'm trying to run this board with two HD 4770 and I'm having no luck. Is this even possible?
I'd appreciate any help that you can provide.

It is hooked up to a PC Power Silencer 750W, so, I'm assuming it's not a power issue. The PC will not recognize Crossfire.

Hey folks,

I'm just wondering what bios is the best for this board if I'm using revision 1.0?

Last edited:
Hey folks,

I'm just wondering what bios is the best for this board if I'm using revision 1.0?

F10K just came out and it's the same as J only they fixed the "Quick Boot" option in the bios, some people on Xtremesystems like the early F10 Bios/s (F10B etc.) for there supposedly better memory performance but overall I find the later betas (K especially) the best.

See Frys has a deal on a Q8200 and this motherboard and was just wondering if I should even get it as 775 is EOL. I've got an Q9450 that runs good now and really was wondering if I should even get this combo.

yes it's a hard one. the ga-ep45-ud3P is a damn good board. The upgrade would certainly be cheaper than one requiring ddr3. Why don't you just upgrade mobo & move Q9450 to new mobo ?

I'm thinking the same thing. Only have a slight overclock with this motherboard, but see that other motherboard (Gigabyte) has many more features. Hummmmmm

Guess I could sell the Q8200.

Have to check with the wife of course.... LOL

Back