Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3P motherboard

Which should I use the boards hardware RAID 1 or use the software RAID 1?
Intel Raid you mean ? THe jmicron is pretty crummy , but intel is good. Using Matrix raid you can have 2 stripes on a raid. Raid0 for OS & raid1 for the rest. see Intel® Matrix Storage Technology For more info. I've just upgraded my storage to 2x500 + 1 x 1tb , but prior to that was running 4x80gb in raid0 +raid1 as above, with the 2x500 as stand alone drives.

Acronis is ideal for raid.

I currently have my hard drive installed on the regular yellow sata connector. Is there a performance difference between sata and the purple gsata connector?

Yellow = Intel Purple= Jmicron.Intel are better , I only tend to use the Jmicron , if I've filled the Intel Sockets.

I bought this board about a week ago...been doing some OC with my E8400. Wanting to do my 6gb Gskill DDR2 1066 ..have now installed 4gb of it..been running Orthos and is going to try some Intel Burn tests to make sure it is stable at 3.8 ...I am happy with it there ...wants to make sure it is stable with my settings

Bios F7
fsb 450
Multi 8.5
CpuV 1.35
Mch Core 1.24
Cpu PLL 1.57
Ich Core 1.30
Dram is 2.1

How does the Cpu PLL setting work for you? and is it safe to go above the original setting?
What are some good settings that I could use...seems stable now at my current settings with 4gb installed...Was also running a 464fsb w/ 8x multi...maybe I could work on lowering the Cpu V to see where it will be stable at or just keep it where it is ...or are my settings good to go as they are now? I am still learning how to OC and is new at this...reading alot seeing what others have and finding out what my stable settings are...Thank you for any input

Quick question:

Will this EP45-UD3P motherboard fit a 1283 CPU cooler (with x-bow) and OCZ Reaper Memery (with the large heatsinks)? I'll also be putting in a 260 GPU.

Thanks.

I bought this board about a week ago...been doing some OC with my E8400. Wanting to do my 6gb Gskill DDR2 1066 ..have now installed 4gb of it..been running Orthos and is going to try some Intel Burn tests to make sure it is stable at 3.8 ...I am happy with it there ...wants to make sure it is stable with my settings

Bios F7
fsb 450
Multi 8.5
CpuV 1.35
Mch Core 1.24
Cpu PLL 1.57
Ich Core 1.30
Dram is 2.1

How does the Cpu PLL setting work for you? and is it safe to go above the original setting?
What are some good settings that I could use...seems stable now at my current settings with 4gb installed...Was also running a 464fsb w/ 8x multi...maybe I could work on lowering the Cpu V to see where it will be stable at or just keep it where it is ...or are my settings good to go as they are now? I am still learning how to OC and is new at this...reading alot seeing what others have and finding out what my stable settings are...Thank you for any input

You running vista?

Hey guys, about a couple months back I got the Gigabyte Mobo and man that thing works like a charm. I oced my Q6600 at 3.2 ghz on stock volts and also I'm running 8 gigs of G-Skill DDR2 1066 RAM. Just a quick question. If i plan to overlock further say up to 3.6 ghz and if the stress test or my PC fails to boot or freezes in Windows, so do I just simply restart my PC to clear the BIOS or do I have to pull a clear BIOS pin inside the mobo?

If the overclock is not stable, 2 things will happen, At startup, when detecting drivers, the board will auto restart and downclock if itself feels its not stable, another would be freezing in windows and or lock ups.

The first which is the famous repetitive restart at startup, Which like i said, it will downclock itself to let you get into the bios and change settings to help its stability.

With 2, It will not do the repetitive restart but it will just boot into windows like normal but you can intervene and change settings.

So to answer your question, No, No Cmos clearing is needed. If it restarts at startup, it will downclock itself and let you in to tweak the settings and tell you the current settings are unstable, same if its windows bootable (Which means its almost stable) it will let you go in and tweak settings back and or fix em.

can someone tell me where the serial number is on this/ud3r? gigabyte is taking forever to respond and i need to RMA it.. there is no sticker with SN infront of numbers by the cpu socket or on pci slots as their pictures online denote

can someone tell me where the serial number is on this/ud3r? gigabyte is taking forever to respond and i need to RMA it.. there is no sticker with SN infront of numbers by the cpu socket or on pci slots as their pictures online denote

My serial number is on the box.

There was a sticker by the PCI slots (perpendicular to the pci express slots) but it did not have SN in front of it and had a letter H in it. It is 11 digits long with a space after the 6th one. I tried to submit the RMA to gigabyte and they denied it.

There was a sticker by the PCI slots (perpendicular to the pci express slots) but it did not have SN in front of it and had a letter H in it. It is 11 digits long with a space after the 6th one. I tried to submit the RMA to gigabyte and they denied it.

wow that's great news to hear... just sent out my rebate the other day and possibly my only copy of my serial. i would attempt to get someone on the phone if i were you.

You mean you folks cut off the serial number on the box and mail it off without bothering to write it down? <we need a facepalm emoticon here> :D

Does anyone feel like the BIOS lags a bit when you change the voltages around? It just feels sluggish to me.

Does anyone feel like the BIOS lags a bit when you change the voltages around? It just feels sluggish to me.

It can be, that's why I usually just key in my voltage changes direcly rather than using pgup/pgdown or +/-.

You mean you folks cut off the serial number on the box and mail it off without bothering to write it down? <we need a facepalm emoticon here> :D

when did they stop putting serials on the actual devices? you're saying there is no number that matches what you have on the box with what is on the motherboard?

it has to be on there, otherwise i could just steal someone else's serial and send in my motherboard...?

I have never updated the bios F4 and I have no need to overclock. But the weekend I plan to set up RAID 0 so my question is. Would I see any benefit to updating the bios to F8?

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/gigabyte-latest-bios-28441/

Hosted on The Official Gigabyte Support Forum @ TweakTown

This is where you can find beta BIOSes and release BIOSes days and sometimes weeks before they are posted to the Gigabyte website.

Now get outta my grill, bbz_ghost. :p

Interesting, could prove useful for my brand spankin' new GA-EP45-UD3LR... not one issue with it since I cracked open the box and slapped it into a case with a Q6600 G0 @ 3GHz, Patriot Viper DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 @ 1000 5-5-5-12 so far, a week in.

Wow that place is popular... wonder why so many people have problems? :D

The F7 bios boots slightly faster if your using the Intel sata ports(which you should be using) and its stable. Other than that I havent noticed much difference in most of the bios's.

The F7 beta boot fast also, the new F8 beta's boot slower like the older bios's

i bought this board months ago and just finally got the time to set it up...
i have revision 1.0 though not sure if there's a new revision...

i'm sure this was probably discussed, but couldn't figure out what to put as the search field...
apparently all my sata drives (dvd burner / hard drives) are showing up as IDE drives?
I'm assuming thats what SpeedEuphoria means when he says you should be using the Intel sata ports?
How the heck do I switch my sata drives to actual sata instead of this IDE nonsense?
I'm currently installing windows xp on it and its taking forever since it's apparently formatting my 2 640gb hard drives on top of my 74gb raptor -_-
what's ACHI mean? i think I saw it when i was just randomly skimming through bios...
any help would be appreciated... thanks in advance...

i have a feeling I'm going to have to reformat and do a clean install of my windows xp... PM me if necessary, but I'll keep this page open in my tab.. thanks!

apparently all my sata drives (dvd burner / hard drives) are showing up as IDE drives?
I'm assuming thats what SpeedEuphoria means when he says you should be using the Intel sata ports?

I thought ACHI was mostly just for raid and the "intel ports" being the yellow ones on the board that run off the south bridge vs the 3 purple ones that run off a gigabyte SATA2 chip..

so better to use the yellow ones.. at least that was what I got from lurking around for system info the last few weeks..

I just built up a system with this board today.. version 1.1 of the board but not sure what that.1 gains a person outside of getting it's own driver area on gigabyte's website.. Really easy built with this board too. Did not even need to mess with the bios at all, everything set to "auto" and it booted right up..

only issue I ran into at all was some notice about a missing audio driver that turned out to be something with the ASUS 4850 card but windows update fixed that... Errrrrrr ok that was random.. ;)

just used autoupdate to update to F8f and so far so good. love this board!!

How do you do the autoupdate? I don't have a rar program which several of the download site use. So wondering how to auto update?

the @bios program that came on the cd with the board. just told it to check for update, and look on the US server, and thats the version it pulled down and updated me to

The F7 beta boot fast also, the new F8 beta's boot slower like the older bios's

The final F8 version boots just as fast as the various F7 versions did - meaning reduced waiting time at the intel AHCI screen.

IDE IS SATA, and your SATA drives will show up as IDE devices because that's what they are.

PATA = IDE
SATA = IDE

IDE = Integrated Drive Electronics

Both Parallel ATA and Serial ATA drives are IDE drives, they just use a different bus to transfer data. Aside from the actual connectors the drive electronics and design are exactly the same.

Now, if you install the latest Intel SATA drivers then you will see 'Intel SATA controller' show up under 'IDE/ATAPI Controllers' in Windows Device Manager, but it's all IDE. :)

what's ACHI mean? i think I saw it when i was just randomly skimming through bios...
any help would be appreciated... thanks in advance...

AHCI is a newer way for IDE drives to communicate with the operating system. It allows for better Native Command Queueing and also allows support for hot-plugging SATA drives. Otherwise everyday performance is the same wether you're running legacy SATA or native AHCI mode.

If you're running Windows XP you should change the BIOS options for SATA mode to 'SATA' and the option just beneath it to 'Legacy'. If you're running Vista or Windows 7 change the SATA mode to 'AHCI' and the option just underneath to 'Native'.

Just updated from F4 to F8f and I don't see any difference. But I'm not running RAID so maybe I'm not going to see a difference.....

The final F8 version boots just as fast as the various F7 versions did - meaning reduced waiting time at the intel AHCI screen.

I get "........." with F8F(beta final from Giga site), same with F5

With F7(and IIRC F6) and all of there betas also, I get ".." seems faster to me like 6 seconds or so

Edit: the F8 non beta is now on Giga's site, will try that, going to test F4 also

Hey guys,

I've got both my HDs in Raid 0, plugged into the purple sata slots. Would I lose my raid setup, if I started to use the intel ones instead? =o

Hey guys,

I've got both my HDs in Raid 0, plugged into the purple sata slots. Would I lose my raid setup, if I started to use the intel ones instead? =o

Form what I read seting up my RAID1 yesterday the answer is YES. they are two different program files used during your OS install.

Gotcha.

So, if I were to install the post raid drivers from gigabyte in Vista, then make the switch...think I'd have a problem?

I mean, worst case scenario is...I plug it, it doesn't work, I put them back in, works fine right?

I'd give it a try you can always swith it back. I don't have Vista I'm waiting for Windows 7 so I don't have any experience to fall back on.

Back