Gigabyte GA-870a-UD3 Crossfire??

C McCarter

Limp Gawd
Hi, I know this board does not support crossfire but I have come across a few articles that say you can run crossfire inthe PCI-E x4 slot, which equates to a bandwidth comparable to PCI-E 1.1 x8. Would I notice an increase in performance? Would the be adivsable or should I get a new board that supports crossfire and upgrade my video card when the 7000 series releases?

Currently I have a 6870 and want to upgrade for Skyrim, Lotro (Raid/PvP), ToR, BF3
Link to PCI-E x4 running CF http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284640-30-870a-crossfire

It should work, you may get a slight hit in performance vs 8/8 or 16/16, not because of the 16/4 arrangement, but because the x4 slot on most of the 770/870/970 boards comes out of the southbridge, which may increase latency a small bit.

I would say try it, but I wouldn't want you to buy another card and it not really work.

Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to risk it as I would be able to buy a new motherboard in January (along with building a HTPC). Unless you can think of a reason I would get a decrease in performance.

did you risk it? i have the same board, rev 3.0 and bios FA, and i also have the same question but i only have enough cash for either a new mobo or graphics.

I risked it and it ended up not working (decreased performance from a single card). The PCIE 4x slot limited the system. I will be buying a new motherboard soon (Black Friday/Cyber Monday). I am thinking of the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3. Hopefully this will save you some cash :)

Back