gigabyte ga-7n400 and AXP3000+

misfitsfiend

[H]ard|Gawd
ok so my friend and i built a computer and his 3000+ 400mhz FSB OEM processor is running extremely hot. it idles at 64c and is not overclocked, and i'm assuming it's the stock voltage but i can't tell because the motherboard won't let me change it negativlely, it only lets me change it by 5% increments positively. we have this heatsink and this is pretty much the same motherboard . the case is a lian-li with 4 fans and MBM5 says it's running 37c idle!

wtf is this?

is there a bad sensor maybe? the pc health status displays the same temps as mbm. also, when i touch the heatsink, it's not even remotely hot, lukewarm at best. thanks in advance for the help!

i would say a bad sensor, if you touch them and cant feel a difference.. it probably is be

it could be bad contact with the core though. how was the heatsink installed? i'd consider doing it again with some decent paste ;)

You fellas sure? I don't know how to verify if that's the case or not. I feel like there's no way of telling for sure; I've reseated the HS twice, so it's not the problem. The heatsink isn't even hot, like I said before. It's discomforting seeing my temp hover around 65c and not being able to do anything about it. Hm...

how did you reseat the heatsink? more detail = better, until it gets to the point where you're saying that you took a break to pet your cat :cool:

i've reseated it twice, the second time applying more crappy thermal paste. i put a thin coat on the processor die. no dice. the heatsink is applied perfectly. should i try a different mobo?

Well, on second thought, the mobo can't be causing the heat, can it? So, putting in a new mobo won't do anything but tell me that the thermal diodes are damaged. Right? Putting in a new mobo won't change the temperatures of the case -- it'll only be a superficial change since the temps of the case can't actually be at 64c*37c* right now... right?

Do you have the latest Bios for that board? Might try that if everything else is OK. Gigabyte's @Bios utility will let you flash the Bios in Windows.

Roberty said:
Do you have the latest Bios for that board? Might try that if everything else is OK. Gigabyte's @Bios utility will let you flash the Bios in Windows.

Yeah, I put in the newest BIOS -- didn't take care of temp problems.

If you did everything correctly with the heatsink/fan installation then the temp probe must be off. Either RMA the board (Gigabyte RMA Dept info:contact the RMA department @ 626-854-9338 option 4 for RMA repair) or just ignore the temps being mis-reported. Probably nothing else you can do then. Some boards just have a bad sensor or something to that effect.

Back