Gigabyte Factory Tour Shows Motherboard Manufacturing from Start-To-Finish

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Gamers Nexus recently took a tour of the Gigabyte factory located on Nanping Road in Taiwan. At this location, Gigabyte manufacturers both video cards and motherboards. Although most of the SMT factory is automated, some of the components and wires must be installed by hand. It takes 40 - 50 minutes for a motherboard to be created and Gigabyte processes 600 - 800 motherboards per hour or about 5,000 per 8 hour workday. Make sure that you compare the Gigabyte tour to the MSI factory tour that Hardocp documented in 2007. I thought it was fascinating that the Gigabyte "museum" featured test equipment similar to what Hardocp observed over a decade ago. My, how things have changed!

Motherboard manufacturing is a refined process, but each board still takes upwards of an hour to finalize on the assembly line. About half of the assembly is now done by automated SMT lines, with the rest being manual quality checks and large component installation (like PCIe slots). As for how to make a video card, it follows exactly the same process -- the difference is just which board is being fed through the machines on each day.

Gigabyte should do a video about software team of clowns and trained monkeys. Their hardware is great but their software is horrible, especially their recent RGB Fusion as it caused minimization to desktop so I had to uninstall it.

600-800 an hour! Do they really sell that many to keep that pace or is that just the capabilities. Wow

I would have been more interested in seeing their software DPT where i assume 2 guys are smoking pot and throwing paper balls as each other.

The option to control the LED lighting on my Aorus extreme are still pretty mundane bordering amateurish, actually after boot of the computer any kind of light combination may or may not be going, and this may or may not at some time leter change to something you have actually selected,

1985 3 of us tried to open a pcb shop the drill Klinginburg, spelling?, 5 drill heads running at 90k rpm cost $150k U.S..
You use chemical copper to start the plating process finish with electroplating, 2 of us were 27 yrs. old 1 was 45 yrs. old the bank gave us $350k we sold $400k in stock and the SBA wouldn't give us the needed $500k to get the Co. off the ground; the three of us lost ALL of our savings and jobs, was a bad 2 yrs.

1985 3 of us tried to open a pcb shop the drill Klinginburg, spelling?, 5 drill heads running at 90k rpm cost $150k U.S..
You use chemical copper to start the plating process finish with electroplating, 2 of us were 27 yrs. old 1 was 45 yrs. old the bank gave us $350k we sold $400k in stock and the SBA wouldn't give us the needed $500k to get the Co. off the ground; the three of us lost ALL of our savings and jobs, was a bad 2 yrs.

I guess you typed this on your smartphone with autocomplete enabled. Would love to read more details about the business you guys tried to build :)

* Why is there a guy covered in feces and screaming at a door knob? *

* Oh that's Greg, he is in charge of creating the BIOS for all of our boards *

The Gigabyte BIOS combined with some of the ass-backward decisions they make when it comes to lane sharing on X299, and how they build X399 boards keeps me from buying their products. Their Z390 boards have decent VRMs, but they could do with a more commonsense M.2 arrangement. I wouldn't even consider a Gigabyte GPU until they can make then sit straight in the case and improve build quality. To say that they sag is an understatement.

This might be cool, but it's not quite ASUS level manufacturing. Sorry, I bitched a bit about ASUS's VRMs lately, but I'm still a lifelong ASUS fanboy.

I guess you typed this on your smartphone with autocomplete enabled. Would love to read more details about the business you guys tried to build :)

The Gigabyte BIOS combined with some of the ass-backward decisions they make when it comes to lane sharing on X299, and how they build X399 boards keeps me from buying their products. Their Z390 boards have decent VRMs, but they could do with a more commonsense M.2 arrangement. I wouldn't even consider a Gigabyte GPU until they can make then sit straight in the case and improve build quality. To say that they sag is an understatement.

This might be cool, but it's not quite ASUS level manufacturing. Sorry, I bitched a bit about ASUS's VRMs lately, but I'm still a lifelong ASUS fanboy.

I'm actually using a Gigabyte Mobo right now, the Aurous 9 X299 as at the time it was the only board that the VRM's weren't catching on fire and limiting the CPU by throttling.

As far as build quality it's actually a really good board, but the BIOS, ugh, it's a hot mess, and don't get me started on their software suite and those dirty RGB lights...

Reactions: STEM
like this
I'm actually using a Gigabyte Mobo right now, the Aurous 9 X299 as at the time it was the only board that the VRM's weren't catching on fire and limiting the CPU by throttling.

As far as build quality it's actually a really good board, but the BIOS, ugh, it's a hot mess, and don't get me started on their software suite and those dirty RGB lights...

Actually I also have the Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 9 in one of my workstations running a 7900X. It's a good board, but the fact that you lose 4 SATA ports if you use the very bottom M.2 slot sucks. If you want better VRMs, then the X299 Designare EX has an all Intersil 12-phase VRM that's 95% as good as the one on the EVGA X299 Dark, and the Dark broke a few overclocking records. As far as the heat output from the 7900X while overclocked, that sucks due to the thermal paste under the IHS and I'm pretty sure that the IHS is not perfectly flat.

When I got the X299 Aorus Gaming 9, ASUS had not decent to offer without, like you said, the VRMs not catching on fire.

Back