Gigabyte EX58-Extreme & i7 920: My Experience & Thoughts After Two Weeks

yenniedn

2[H]4U
This is my somewhat indepth review of the GIGABYTE EX58-EXTREME X58 Motherboard after owning, using and overclocking it for the last two weeks:

My new i7 system specs are in my signature below. I made the upgrade from a Q6600 (3.6GHz) & Asus Maximus II Formular (P45) & 4x2gb Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 DDR2 system that was the best and most stable system I've ever built. The CPU/Mobo/RAM were the only items that were upgraded in the move to i7; all other components were moved over. This was my first ever GIGABYTE board and I was hesitant to go with a brand I had not used before - but the ASUS X58 Rampage II Extreme board was going for well over $400 at launch so I went with this one, which I was able to get for about $260'ish after live.com cashback @ 30%.

The actual build was very uneventful and went very smoothly. Once built and OS installed, it took me no more than 15-20 minutes of fiddling with the BIOS to get the i7 920 to run stable at 3.6GHz. It was surprisingly easy to do. The next day, I tried 3.8 and 4.0GHz but neither were stable so I ran it at 3.6GHz @1.275v (ave. 38* idle) for the next week prime95 stable. This week, I got some time to play around with it more and am running it at 4.0GHz @ 1.325v (ave. 43* idle) . . . it is NOT Prime95 stable (Prime will bluescreen pretty much within seconds) but it works fine for me everyday usage. I have CPU voltage at 1.325v because moving it to 1.35v or 1.36v doesn't seem to help stability. Will continue to tweak it to see if I can get it stable at 4.0GHz . . . if not, I'll just have to settle for 3.6GHz.

That's the long-winded intro. The reason I wanted to make this post is to point out my observations about this board (both good and bad) so that anyone considering it can get some insight.

THE GOOD:

* It's a good looking board - a nice blue/white design that is a welcomed change from the now popular all black PCB. Some have said this board is butt ugly but I like it.

* The BIOS is very nice and easy to use. As I said above, it didn't take me much time to get familiar with it and to get my 920 to 3.6GHz Prime95 stable - which was a pleasant surprise for me given that it was a whole new system based on an entirely new architecture. All in all, it's a pretty stable and solid overclocking motherboard.

* Lots of SATA ports. There are 10 SATA ports total and all of them support RAID - but there are 4 that support native RAID without having to install any Windows drivers. Best of all, these SATA connectors are placed properly (at the edge of the mobo, facing toward the front of the case) so that they WON'T interfere with the installatio of longer graphics cards.

THE NEUTRAL:

* The Northbridge cooling setup. I don't watercool but those who do will benefit from the built-in watercooling on the NB. Part of the reason I got the Extreme model instead of the next model down (the UD5) was for the extra NB "Hybrid Silent-Pipe". I now say that the ONLY reason to by the Extreme version is if you want to watercool - no one else should buy it for any other reason (see below).

THE BAD:

* The Northbridge cooling setup: whether the extra NB "Hybrid Silent-Pipe" cools the NB any better is debateable . . . but what is NOT debateable is that installing it WILL render your top two PCIe slots completely UNUSABLE!!! That means that my X-Fi Titanium, which would have gone into that top PCIe 1X slot, won't fit there. It won't even fit in the next slot down b/c the NB heatsink actually blocks that slot too!!!

* PCI slot placement/design: to use my 2x 4870x2 in CrossfireX, I have to place the two GPU's in the top two blue PCIe 16x slots - which then covers up both of the white PCI slots completely. My X-Fi now must go in the orange PCIe 8X slot at the very bottom - which means that (with the Hybrid Silent-Pipe installed), this is ALL the expansion cards that I'll be able to fit in this system!

* CrossFireX setup: with the two 4870x2's in the blue 16X PCIe slots, they are RIGHT next to each other (whereas my previous ASUS MIIF allowed for some space and more "breathing room" between the cards). This means that the lower card pretty much blocks the cool air intake for the top card, kind of suffocating it. I didn't record the GPU temps from my ASUS MIIF system so I don't have hard numbers but I'd have to think the Gigabyte CFX setup HAS to run hotter!

* Push-pins on the NB/SB heatsinks: both NB/SB heatsinks are fastened via pushpins instead of screws. Maybe they work just as well . . . but I'd much prefer the screw method on a $350 board!

* RAM clearance w/ TRUE 120: having my TRUE 120 in a push/pull setup prevents me from using more than 6GB of Corsair Dominator RAM. If I want to go with 12GB, the front 120mm fan will interfere with the first RAM slot - so I'd have to use the normal (shorter) RAM . . . Corsair's DHX or Dominator (or any other tall RAM) will not fit in the first RAM slot!!! This is a real pisser!!!

THE PROBLEMS/THINGS I HATE:

* This system takes noticeably longer to boot into Windows than ANY I've ever had. From POST to Vista log-on, the wait is annoyingly long. Doesn't matter if its stock speed, overclocked, warm or cold boot - it takes (what seems to be) several minutes to get to the Vista password log-on screen!!! [edit: this was caused by a conflict with my 4870x2 CrossFireX setup; this has now been fixed after some reconfiguration of CFX.]

* I cannot (easily) wake the system from sleep/hibernation. Attempting to wake the system from sleep with a keyboard or mouse click (or even reset button) results in the computer powering up indefinitely with no video signal whatsoever. This will go on for as long as I want to leave it. The ONLY way to successfully wake the computer is to hit a key, wait for it to power on, hang without a video signal, then hold the power button down for 4 seconds, completely power down and then power back up. After another agonizingly slow boot up, it will eventually resume the system to its previous state before it went to sleep.

* Tech support = unhelpful. I called Gigabyte Tech Support and after 30 minutes on the phone with them, the only advice I was given was to wait for a new BIOS and HOPE that it'll fix these problems.

EDIT: Both Extreme boards I had eventually had one or more SATA ports go bad. Some would work part of the time and some just went away altogether. You'll know if/when you have this problem when you boot to find one or more of your SATA drives missing. Multiple reboots sometime got them back and a couple of the ports never worked again.

SUMMARY:

This is a pretty nice board that is very easy to overclock. It's pretty stable when OC'ed and does have a lot of nice features. The Extreme version is ONLY beneficial to people with watercooling. All others should just save themselves the $40-$50 and get the UD5 version without the Hybrid Silent-Pipe NB cooler. For a $350 price point, I think there are several things that could've been better designed (push-pins on heatsinks, RAM clearance, CrossFireX setup, etc.).

As for me, if the next BIOS release doesn't resolve the boot up and resume from suspend issues, I'll most likely pull everything out and go with an ASUS Rampage II Extreme after all!!!

Moral of story: I should've just stuck with a brand that I know and trust!!!

Here are some photos of the system to illustrate some of the points described above:

Notice that the two 4870X2's are VERY close to each other. With the Hybrid Silent-Pipe heatsink and X-Fi card install, all of the usable PCI slots are now occupied. I'm maxed out on expansion cards . . . and I only have three of them (not counting the Gigabyte NB cooler)!!!
gigabyte1.jpg

The Hybrid Silent-Pipe blocks not only the top PCIe 1X slot, it actually dips down to block the installation of anything but the shortest PCIe cards in the second PCIe slot!!!
gigabyte2.jpg

Here you see how the 120mm fan on the TRUE 120 would block the installation of any tall'ish RAM sticks in the first RAM slot. The Corsair Dominator sticks extend about 1/3 to 1/2" past the lowest point of the fan so I am limited to just 3x2gb sticks of this RAM. If I want to go with 12GB, I'll have to get a different HSF or RAM. I could also remove this fan I guess but I think that will affect the cooling capabilities of the TRUE.
gigabyte3.jpg

thank you brotha. i think you have steered me away from the gigabyte product. good thing too because i've been debating/procrastinizing for three weeks. and now ebay live cashback is gone. but what i'm waiting on now is either the rumored evga "FTW" board or maybe i'll go with the bloodrage when it comes out, or possibly even look more into the asus revolution deal when it's available.

Thanks.
I've been waiting to see what someone who actually bought a new X58 board thinks.

The "no deal" for me in both this board and the UD5 is that double wide GPUs will block any of the PCI slots and will elimanate my use of my PCI X-Fi card. To buy a PCI-e X-Fi Titanium would cost at least 100 bucks, pushing the cost into the Rampage Extreme category.:eek: while it has an included X-Fi card, there are just too many BIOS tweaks and little gadgets for my needs.

I love Gigabyte, but the slot design stinks all around.

To accomidate what I want out of a board I guess it's going to be the EVGA, but that makes me nervous, too.

It looks like I'm not the only one with these issues/complaints according to the reviews on NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813128361

I've been Googling solutions for the S3 sleep problem because it could very well be a Vista issue - but the couple of possible solutions and hotfixes I found did not work. I can live with every other issue but the whole sleep problem really annoys me. I was the reason I got rid of my 780i board two builds ago.

I'm using the board w/ vista ult 64 and have no problems w/ sleep mode, for what it's worth.

What bios ver. are you using?

sd

I'm using the board w/ vista ult 64 and have no problems w/ sleep mode, for what it's worth.

What bios ver. are you using?

sd

I'm using F3, which is what my board came with. Tech Support suggested that I contact their Taiwan Tech Support people to get an F4 beta . . . but they haven't replied since I emailed them several days ago.

I'm sure it's hit or miss with the sleep issue - what are your other components?

Edit: also, does your system take over 3 minutes to boot into Vista (from POST to password log-in)???

THE BAD:

* The Northbridge cooling setup: whether the extra NB "Hybrid Silent-Pipe" cools the NB any better is debateable . . . but what is NOT debateable is that installing it WILL render your top two PCIe slots completely UNUSABLE!!! That means that my X-Fi Titanium, which would have gone into that top PCIe 1X slot, won't fit there. It won't even fit in the next slot down b/c the NB heatsink actually blocks that slot too!!!

Answer: That's why the next model down is better.

* PCI slot placement/design: to use my 2x 4870x2 in CrossfireX, I have to place the two GPU's in the top two blue PCIe 16x slots - which then covers up both of the white PCI slots completely. My X-Fi now must go in the orange PCIe 8X slot at the very bottom - which means that (with the Hybrid Silent-Pipe installed), this is ALL the expansion cards that I'll be able to fit in this system!

Answer: Again resolved with the UD5 model it has the PCIEx4 under the PCIEx1.

* RAM clearance w/ TRUE 120: having my TRUE 120 in a push/pull setup prevents me from using more than 6GB of Corsair Dominator RAM. If I want to go with 12GB, the front 120mm fan will interfere with the first RAM slot - so I'd have to use the normal (shorter) RAM . . . Corsair's DHX or Dominator (or any other tall RAM) will not fit in the first RAM slot!!! This is a real pisser!!!

Answer: different heatsink, TRUE 120 was designed for 775/AM2+ style after all?

Answer: Each to their own, I have run into plenty of Asus boards that go up in smoke or just fail, EVGA, MSI or Gigabyte for me personally, ultimately the UD5 is the best of the X58 bunch from Gigabyte, has a few more features, and doesn't have heatsinks in awkward places, or expansion slots missing where a heatsink has now taken it's place.

THE BAD:

Answer: That's why the next model down is better.

Answer: Again resolved with the UD5 model it has the PCIEx4 under the PCIEx1.

Answer: different heatsink, TRUE 120 was designed for 775/AM2+ style after all?

Answer: Each to their own, I have run into plenty of Asus boards that go up in smoke or just fail, EVGA, MSI or Gigabyte for me personally, ultimately the UD5 is the best of the X58 bunch from Gigabyte, has a few more features, and doesn't have heatsinks in awkward places, or expansion slots missing where a heatsink has now taken it's place.

Replies:

#1) As I stated, the ONLY reason to buy the Extreme version instead of the UD5 is if you plan on using watercooling because the NB is pre-set for watercooling.

#2) Most everything, including the PCI/PCIe slot configuration is the same on both the UD5 and Extreme boards. The main difference is the extra NB cooler and water cooling barbs. This extra NB heatsink is what is causing the problem - it blocks BOTH of the PCIe 1x AND PCIe 4x slots on the motherboard!

3) The TRUE works just fine as a HSF with their new LGA1366 bolt-thru kit. In fact, Thermalright's new LGA1366 TRUE 120 is essentially the SAME EXACT TRUE but with the newer LGA1366 bolt-thru kit plus a retarded fan shroud. The rest of the heatsink is essentially the same. And I don't WANT a different HSF since the TRUE 120 has proven itself over and over to be one of the best (if not the best) air cooling HSF's there is.

UPDATE:

The long/slow boot-up times into Vista is CrossFireX related. I've got a multi-monitor setup with CrossFireX on my two 4870x2. I completely re-did the CrossFireX setup and have now been able to set it up so that the computer boots in the "normal" amount of time.

On the other front: absolutely NOTHING I do will get the S3 sleep function to work properly. I went with just one monitor under CrossFireX - nothing. I removed one of the 4870x2's (thus disabling CFX) and used just one monitor as well - still no luck. S3 simply does not work right now!!!

If anyone can recommend a cpu cooler that won't block the ram slots, go nuts.

As for my rig, which has no problems booting or with sleep mode, here it is:

i940 / gigabyte ex58-ud5 / 12gb g.skill cl8 / evga superclocked gtx 218 / 1 raptor / 1 hitachi 7k1000 / f3 bios

sd

Thanks for this. Initially I was going to go with the evga but after reading the anand roundup and seeing evga doesnt support 1600 its between the gigabyte and asus. I really wanted to go with the gigabyte but the memory/hsf interference issue is really turning me off. Probably end up going with the butt-ugly p6t in the end. :(

Until my stuff turns up next week I won't know how much room the cooler master V8 gives for memory, and I went with the UD5 (same exact board) none of the sillyness around the northbridge.

Thanks for this. Initially I was going to go with the evga but after reading the anand roundup and seeing evga doesnt support 1600 its between the gigabyte and asus. I really wanted to go with the gigabyte but the memory/hsf interference issue is really turning me off. Probably end up going with the butt-ugly p6t in the end. :(

it does now...

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=672252

beta. enjoy...:D

looks like some good points out there. but the thing that makes me wonder, everything looks like its a snug fit, and cards have some decent breathing room from each other. How much does that silent cooling thing do for temps? another thing is do you really need the extra expansion slots? Sound card is there, so idk

Correct me if im wrong, but still, everything fits to fit in place.

Just curious, are the lanes on the pci-x slots fixed at the 16x 16x 8x config, or could you do 16x 8x 16x and just put the x-fi card inbetween the two 4870x2's?

Just curious, are the lanes on the pci-x slots fixed at the 16x 16x 8x config, or could you do 16x 8x 16x and just put the x-fi card inbetween the two 4870x2's?

I've thought about that too as that would help with the GPU temps a bit, I think. I haven't taken the time to dig any further into it but will do so and post what I find.

Well, I did something novel: I opened the owner's manual . . . and according to the manual, the bottom PCIe slot is 8x only (the top two are 16x). So for optimal performance, the two 4870x2's need to be in the top two PCIe slots (as is currently configured in my system).

I was reading through the UD5 manual and from what I understand if you have tri-sli or crossfire the 2nd and 3rd PCI-e become x8.

Still waiting for my stuff to turn up, any minute now.

OK, everyday that goes by has me thinking more and more that . . . I HATE THIS F@CKING BOARD!!!

Two of the SATA ports have gone bad now so I had to switch the drives to other ports. They were acting wacky for awhile - sometimes when I reboot, it wouldn't detect the drives connected to it. Then it would come back on the next reboot. Then go away. Then back. Now these two ports just stopped working at all, ever.

And just about EVERY time I get a BSOD (which is bound to happen when you're fine tuning your OC), it fucks up the monitor/CrossfireX setup somehow and reverts to the 3+ minute boot time again. The ONLY way I've found to resolve this is: remove one of the 4870x2's, boot using only one card, shut down, re-install the second card, boot up and reconfigure everything. I've had to do this about 4 times already - it's not rocket science but is a waste of time and a pain in the ass.

Gigabyte "tech support" is a joke. They hardly have any solution when I call them - other than to email the "main" tech support group in Taiwan . . . and they take about 3 days to reply to your email. When they do, they have nothing worthwhile to say either. I can't imagine how much fun and how long this upcoming RMA is going to take!!!

I mean, for the love of God . . . this is a $350 motherboard!!! It's Gigabyte's top-of-the-fucking-line model! It's not like I board a $100 entry level board!!!

As soon as I find a good deal on a Rampage II Extreme, this POS is out of here!!!

Edit: forgot to mention that I've even purchased different DDR3 memory to see if it will resolve the S3 sleep problem (this was the ONLY solution Gigabyte Tech Support) could come up with. Guess what, it's not the memory! No matter which ones I use, in what configuration, at stock or OC speeds - the damned thing cannot be revived from S3 sleep!!!

Have you thought about RMA'ing the board?

I can't imagine how much fun and how long this upcoming RMA is going to take!!!

See above . . .

I'm definitely going to have to RMA it but, from my couple of contacts with them, I don't expect the RMA to go very smoothly or quickly.

I'll probably buy an RIIE board, swap everything over, RMA the Gigabyte then sell it once it comes back from RMA.

My ex58 is still stable and performing great. Not a single hiccup.

Have you upgraded the bios? You don't have to wait on tech support to email it to you -- they're updated semi-frequently at

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/gigabyte-latest-bios-28441/

And if you have problems with your crossfire setup and are still tweaking the OC, why not take out one of the cards, finish with your fiddling, and then put in the second card? It seems like you're making things hard on yourself.

Last, are you saying some of the SATA ports intermittently detect drives in bios? That seems hard to believe.

sd

And if you want good tech support in your next board, evga has always been good to me. Way, way better than other companies (asus, for example).

sd

If anyone can recommend a cpu cooler that won't block the ram slots, go nuts.

As for my rig, which has no problems booting or with sleep mode, here it is:

i940 / gigabyte ex58-ud5 / 12gb g.skill cl8 / evga superclocked gtx 218 / 1 raptor / 1 hitachi 7k1000 / f3 bios

sd

I have a Swiftech GTX with the new 1366 adapter, it doesn't block anything on my EVGA X58.:D

Have you upgraded the bios? You don't have to wait on tech support to email it to you -- they're updated semi-frequently at

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/gigabyte-latest-bios-28441/

And if you have problems with your crossfire setup and are still tweaking the OC, why not take out one of the cards, finish with your fiddling, and then put in the second card? It seems like you're making things hard on yourself.

Last, are you saying some of the SATA ports intermittently detect drives in bios? That seems hard to believe.

sd

I've been waiting/wanting to update my BIOS but the Gigabyte site only has F3, which my board already has. Their Tech Support says that there in no F4 available yet.

Thx for the link to Tweaktown - but the one for the EX58 Extreme F4 BIOS doesn't seem to be working.

I'm pretty done with my OC set-up by now - sticking with 3.8GHz at 1.325v - so the lockups/BSOD's are not from my OC'ing. Another problem that I haven't mentioned yet is that about 20% of the time, when I plug in my iPhone to a USB port to sync/charge it, the computer locks up. This will also cause my computer to go into the 4 minute boot up time. I got this mobo because it's supposed to do full 16x CrossFireX - but having to pull out one of my cards and redoing the CFX configuration every couple of days isn't what a $350 board is supposed to be all about.

As for the SATA ports - yes, that's precisely what they were doing . . . before they stopped working altogether. Not all of them, just one set of them. I have 4xHDDS and 2xDVD-RW's and the drives that were connected to the SATA ports second down from the top of the board were only being recognized sporatically. Some boots they were there and others, they were not. But up until a couple of days ago, they would always come back eventually with enough reboots (that's fun too). Now, no matter how much I reboot or shut down, those two drives will not show up when connected to those ports. I moved them down to the next set of ports and they're fine now. Sounds like bad SATA ports to me, doesn't it?

And if you want good tech support in your next board, evga has always been good to me. Way, way better than other companies (asus, for example).

sd

I've been a big EVGA fan for the last few years on their mobo's and GPU's. I went away from them when I went to the 4870x2's because they didn't play nice with the 780i/790i boards I was using at that time (and no possibility of doing CFX). Went to the Asus MIIF P45 board, which was phenomenal so I didn't have any need to deal with ASUS's support people or site. I got this stupid Gigabyte because it looked better than the EVGA . . . this should teach me for being shallow!!! ;)

But, yes, EVGA has wayyy better support and wayyy better forums.

Just got off the phone with Giga Tech Support again. 1) they don't do advanced replacement/cross-shipping and 2) they don't have any EX58 Extremes in stock at the moment even if I want to send it in.

Luckily, mWave was willing to replace the board for me via cross-shipment. Let's hope the board I have is just one bad apple in the bunch and is not indicative of the entire line. Should have my new board next week.

Just got off the phone with Giga Tech Support again. 1) they don't do advanced replacement/cross-shipping and 2) they don't have any EX58 Extremes in stock at the moment even if I want to send it in.

Luckily, mWave was willing to replace the board for me via cross-shipment. Let's hope the board I have is just one bad apple in the bunch and is not indicative of the entire line. Should have my new board next week.

+1 for mwave.
I get a lot of stuff from them and they are first rate to deal with, never an argument from them.

Good luck, new stuff is always kind of a crap shoot.
I was going to get a UD5 but ended up with an evga X58 instead, so far so good.:D

UD5 was powered up for the first time today, had enough time to set the memory timing to the correct speed and type, everything else looked fine...and the Cooler Master V8 left tons of room to stick in the memory for the first slot if I ever need to...I'll get pictures once I have loaded the OS and given it a few test runs.

I cannot for the life of me get my adaptec 5805 to load properly when trying to get vista up with this board. I get to the point where it says load driver, point it to my usb key, it finds the driver, I click next, and then it greys out and locks up indefinately. Adaptec ran out of ideas for me... I reached out to gigabyte, but cannot seem to get ahold of their support. The asus board had a similar issue, but was addressed by the 804 bios.

After having to look around for a bios for my board, it seems that there is a good bios for the UD5, but I haven't seen one for the Extreme. The gigabyte forums is the place to look though.

Woohoo... gigabyte support guy got back to me and after I told him about the bus issue corrected on the asus board by a bios update, he found some internal release notes about the f4 beta that mentioned a PCIe bus fix. I found a copy of F4m and went to town. My device loaded right the hell up after the bios update.

So it looks like my replacement board will be here tomorrow.

In the meantime, more Gigabyte COMEDY:

I just received a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 w/ E6700 that I bought from another member here on [H]. I spent the evening building a whole new computer for Mom for Xmas. Got OS and all apps installed so I wanted to give it a whirl. So far, the E6700 can go up to 3.6GHz but not full stable so I'm running it at 3.4GHz because I need a trouble free OC for this system.

The punch line: I set the system into S3 sleep mode just for shits and giggles . . . and . . . guess what? It can't wake up!!! Same EXACT problem as my Gigabyte X58 board!!! Unbelieveable . . . it's like the folks at Gigabyte don't know how to properly implement S3!!!

THE FRUSTRATION CONTINUES!!!

I got my replacement EX58 Extreme yesterday and stayed up until 3am last night/yesterday morning swapping it out and tweaking it. And to my utter frustration, the same problems still exist!!!

I put the new board in and set up the BIOS like I had the other one - and the S3 sleep problem still existed. In an effort to eliminate other variables, I only installed one 4870x2 - and that at least allowed me to boot into Windows quickly without having to wait 3mins+ each time. So I downloaded BIOS F4m from TweakTown and flashed the BIOS, adjusted settings and rebooted. Set to S3 sleep and tried to revive . . . and to my surprise, instead of the blank screen, I actually got the Vista password log-on screen!!! There's IS hope after all! But once back into Windows, the only thing that was responsive was the mouse - and everything else just hung for about 3-4 minutes before Vista rebooted itself and finally "resumed" my session as it was last left off.

One step forward, then two steps back as the next boot caused several other Windows error messages to appear every few minutes. Reboot again. This third reboot then tells me that my activation period has expired on Vista and I had to activate it . . . there were still about 10 days left on the 30 day period just yesterday!!! (Vista wouldn't activate automatically on my new i7 system since it was migrated from my Q6600 system and MS says the key is already in use. I didn't want to activate it yet because I'm still likely going to get rid of this board altogether and didn't want to have to call them twice to re-activate it twice for two different mobo's.)

Sooooooo . . . I thought - why the hell not . . . reformat and re-install. Well, to wrap it up - I spent most of today tweaking and have made no progress. Fresh install, only one video card (CrossFireX never once set up) and I still cannot revive from S3 sleep. The machine was booting into Windows in the normal time (~1minute) until Vista did it first big auto-update and now, even on one video card w/o CFX, it's taking the same 3min+ to boot into Windows. So this long boot time likely has something to do with 64bit Vista.

I'm at a loss with this board. mWave would only do an exchange for the same board but I'm going to see if they'll just let me pay the difference towards a Rampage II Extreme because two boards with the exact same problems is too annoying. I've enabled and disabled just about every possible setting in the BIOS and NOTHING works. First time Gigabyte owner and last time too!!!

I really do hate this motherfooking motherboard!!! A $350 piece of shiat!!!

What order are you installing your drivers? I had to completely re-install vista on my UD5 when I installed video card drivers then installed the chipset drivers. Doing this backwards made the computer horrible, and caused windows to have errors all the time. On my second go around, after my first boot the first thing I did was install the intel chipset drivers, then anything else coming up with a ! that was on the mobo itself, then lastly video card drivers. Haven't had an issue since, including no issue recovering from sleep with this system.

Usually set everything to “never”, is there a reason why you need to use sleep mode?

What order are you installing your drivers? I had to completely re-install vista on my UD5 when I installed video card drivers then installed the chipset drivers. Doing this backwards made the computer horrible, and caused windows to have errors all the time. On my second go around, after my first boot the first thing I did was install the intel chipset drivers, then anything else coming up with a ! that was on the mobo itself, then lastly video card drivers. Haven't had an issue since, including no issue recovering from sleep with this system.

On this go 'round, I did the video drivers first then chipset. Since I've tried everything else, I am not opposed to trying your suggestion. However, before I had down that road again, let me ask you this: did you even have sleep issues to begin with? If you DID and doing it in that order helped you, then there is hope. But if you never had sleep problems to begin with, then it's less promising news for me. Let me know on this before I consider a fresh re-install again.

Usually set everything to “never”, is there a reason why you need to use sleep mode?

I want to be able to use the S3 sleep function because I do leave my computer on all the time but don't want it running 24/7 when I'm not using it for hours at a time. I want to be able to have it wake up on a moment's notice - which is typically faster than starting from a cold boot on any system.

But with the problems this board had, I was just about ready to give up on the S3 sleep altogether and just shut off my system whenever I was done and just cold boot each time. BUT(!!!) now that it's taking almost four minutes to boot each time now - no matter how many video cards or monitors I have connected, that strategy is not really acceptable either. Look at your watch and then stare at your darkened monitor for almost 4 minutes - and that's what I have to do each and every time I want to use it. This is NOT what I paid $350 on a motherboard to do!!!

My previous Asus Maximus II Formula & Q6600 system was just about perfect in every way and I hesitated to upgrade from it and this is the price I pay!

Edit: I've only had this S3 sleep problem on one other system prior to these two Gigabyte boards. And that was when I first got my first 4870x2 and put it into my 780i board. I then tried it with a 790i board and had the same problem - but I figured it was an ATI GPU on an nVidia mobo so I could understand that conflict. I got rid of the nVidia chipset boards and got the ASUS MIIF and it worked perfectly.

Wasnt there a patch for vista that helps with S3 power save on some boards??

Back