gigabyte EX38-DS4 annoyance!

Vercinaigh

Gawd
Great board, no issue with it, EXCEPT!! Unless I let it auto adjust system voltages, it every so often resets all of my clock speeds! Noe one could say this is due to instability, well if a 48 hour orthos test with no errors is unstable, please god tell me. It's driving me up a wall.

so what's the problem in letting it adjust it for me? EXCESSIVE voltage, like holy mangolian man BBQ, going from 1.41'ish to 1.55 for vcore!?!? and from 2.0 to 2.2 for Dram? Despite ram running fine for a 100mhz oc @ 2.0?

I don't understand what is triggering this reset, and why despite being stable, it continues to do this unless i let it overkill on voltages. Sorry for my irritated description but this is vexating any help or information is appreciated (Yes I am a rather good tech, so this is really grating, it has no reason for this.)

The system:
E8400 @ 4ghz / Cooled by a Tuniq tower 120
Gigabyte EX38-DS4
2x2GB Geil Value DDR2-800 @ 900(Been using this RAM since they started, never had a issue with any of it, including MUCH higher % oc'd systems and have personally had this RAM OC'd much higher stable, the same sticks)
PC Power & Cooling 610watt Silencer
Seagate 7200.11 320GB HDD
HT omega Striker Soundcard
Housed in a Lian-Li P7B

If I missed something let me know.

Have you tried to underclock it? Overclocking uses more power and is bad for the environment.

Have you tried to underclock it? Overclocking uses more power and is bad for the environment.

Have you tried a different forum, I think you registered in the wrong place!

OP, try blowing a housefan at your system for a while and see if the problem stops occuring.
That will indicate the problem is heat related.

You picked the wrong site to post this on, buddy.

OP, I know that a lot of gigabyte boards have this bug (resetting clocks on reboot) and I know that some boards have updated BIOS revisions that fix this. Are you using the latest BIOS?

Also, does that board have an option for load line calibration?

turn off auto voltage control and set your cpu and ram volts specifically

In its infinite wisdom it thought my e6300 mite be best run at 1.4 stock

^^ I agree.
I am running the exact same board as the OP and it gives no issues with manually set voltages.
The only problem I did have was with my memory needing 1.9V instead of 1.8V.

The onboard motherboard cooling while substantial does require good air movement and can get quite hot when clocking.

Sorry for the wrng place I was in a hurry.

As for manual adjustment, when I set that, that's when it starts doing it. and no it's not heat related when I set it to automatic it -increases- voltages further, despite allready being stable in every known stress test I can find, and when it increases voltage, it stops resetting it. I'm thinking it may be not quite enough Nb/FSB voltage, and have since upped it, so far so good, but this is a really annoying "Feature". Yes this board is DES no it is not turned on. As for airflow, this case isd like a windtunnel, high CFM aftermarket fans, blows more air then my central air con.

I am running the latest BIOS but none of them said anything about this fix. So i dunno.

Back