Gigabyte DS3 FSB Wall between 420-430

mobic

n00b
I have a Gig DS3 rev 2 board that seems to run out of FSB at 430 no matter what I try.

* I am currently using Crucial Micron D9GMH Anv. Ed. from New Egg.
* I have tried F4 F5 F7 F8A BIOS and no luck.
* I have tried all the volt and mem timing tweaks, too. I can he 7x428, bu no higher.
* I have even tried 6x, but nothing.
* I can also run the system mem with 2.5x mem @1000+ @4,4,4,10, but FSB will not budge past 430.
* I am aware of the D9GKX problem that Anandtech mentioned at 460 up, but others with Micron D9GMH seem to have no trouble. Am I missing something??
* I have a tons of fans and low case temp. I have also tried pulling battery,different RAM and diff ram configs. Reseated, rebooted, ready to retire it.

Is this a bad board? My RMA window is closing very soon!!

Please help!! This is killing me!

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2854

Tried that. I also tried 500 for kicks. Nada. Thanks for your input! :)

BTW, if you have not seen this memory chip list, you may want to check it out. It makes choosing memory much easier.

http://]http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2

Any thing else I can try?

Yeah, you should definetely RMA that board. Any component that doesn't get at least 100% overclock is defective and should be RMAed. :rolleyes:

InorganicMatter said:
Yeah, you should definetely RMA that board. Any component that doesn't get at least 100% overclock is defective and should be RMAed. :rolleyes:

Yes, ONLY 60% overclock sucks.

I'm mad b/c my Core 2 ONLY overclocks to 4Ghz too. :( I'm going to RMA it.

Known issue with that board...

Our GEIL DDR2-800 memory was only able to reach DDR2-910 (7x455FSB) due to the Micron D9 1GB issue that has been plaguing the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard. We are glad to report that Gigabyte has identified this issue and hopefully will have a new BIOS available in the near future. Our GEIL DDR2-800 memory reached DDR2-1040 (7x520FSB) on our Asus P5B-E 1.02G motherboard so we know it has the capability to overclock further than our DDR2-667 selections. However, this only represents a 30% overclock of the memory compared to our ability to overclock most of the DDR2-667 selections from 36% to 45%.

Source: http://anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2862&p=2

Having a similar issue, I thought it might be the OCZ 6400. I'm gonna try some memory I know will go higher and see if its the board. I was going to return it and get a P5B E eventually.

From what I had read, the D9GKX memory had issues, but the D9GMH was fine. I have heard of others with D9GMH hitting over 500 FSB.

I just installed Asus PB5 Deluxe and have achieved same results of 425+ FSB wall.
( :( I was using 6x, so CPU was not a problem.I am using Crucial 10Anv. 2G.

Is there such a thing as a CPU FSB limit with e6300s? It seems strange that with both boards know for hitting over 500, neither could get past 430.

Is this just me, or is this happening to others?

Im chugging along @ 460x7 on my DS3 with my E6300 :cool:

That is strange. We both have Micron D9GMH based memory.

Does the PB5 have D9 issues too?

mobic said:
That is strange. We both have Micron D9GMH based memory.

Does the PB5 have D9 issues too?

Nope - mine are doing DDR 1030 now 5-6-6-15 2.1v

mobic said:
I just installed Asus PB5 Deluxe and have achieved same results of 425+ FSB wall.

Is there such a thing as a CPU FSB limit with e6300s? It seems strange that with both boards know for hitting over 500, neither could get past 430.

What timings are you using? Loosen to 5-6-6-15 and see what happens. 430 is really low. Sounds like you might be using 4-4-4 still.
What CPU voltage gets you prime stable at 430? If it's low then it's not the CPU.

I managed up to 475 @ 1.375 BIOS.

What timings are you using? Loosen to 5-6-6-15 and see what happens. 430 is really low. Sounds like you might be using 4-4-4 still.
What CPU voltage gets you prime stable at 430? If it's low then it's not the CPU.

I have tried 5-6-6-15. I can run the ram at over 1000 at 4-4-4-4-12. Its just the FSB that wont clock higher.:(

I can do 2.98@ 1.15 volts stable. Seems very strange as this CPU should be killer overclock. :(

mobic said:
I have tried 5-6-6-15. I can run the ram at over 1000 at 4-4-4-4-12. Its just the FSB that wont clock higher.:(

I dunno there isn't a wall for 6300s though

3600-1.475vbios.jpg

I am not complaining about the overclock.

I just think that it's strange that I can hit 428x7, but I can not hit 6 x430 or higher.

It doesn't make sense that I am hitting a wall on motherboards and memory that are known to have a much higher fsb capability.

ChronicTrees said:
I will I will, but I have to play some cs:s first :)

haha think of the performance in CS:S you're NOT getting cause you aren't at 3.5 ghz yet!! :p

Dnottis,

You have the same ram and almost same board.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Was there any modifications you have done to your board?

mobic said:
Dnottis,

You have the same ram and almost same board.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Was there any modifications you have done to your board?

Nope, nothing to the board.

Try lowering the multiplier to make sure it is your processor and not your board or memory. Oops, n/m just read your post up there. Have you tried raising the mch or other voltages?

I would up the MCH and FSB Voltages to +1 or +2 and see what happens.

mobic said:

Ok its not the FSB or motherboard. You've tried 2 motherboard and you hit the same wall, so its NOT the motherboards.

It might be the CPU, as 3Ghz overclock could just be the max of the CPU. It was the max for my e6600. I had a FSB wall too even when I lowered the multiplier UNTIL the F7 BIOS. Do you have that BIOS on your DS3 ? B/c that bios seemed to fix the issue of the CPU posting at the original multiplier then getting changed after the initial post.

or it might be the memory. Some memory doesn't like the 1:1 setting. It might run much higher at like 2:1, 3:1, etc... b/c the FSB (bandwidth) is lower and its not stressing the ram as much.

Try the F7 bios on the DS3, if you haven't already.

Ok its not the FSB or motherboard. You've tried 2 motherboard and you hit the same wall, so its NOT the motherboards.

It might be the CPU, as 3Ghz overclock could just be the max of the CPU. It was the max for my e6600. I had a FSB wall too even when I lowered the multiplier UNTIL the F7 BIOS. Do you have that BIOS on your DS3 ? B/c that bios seemed to fix the issue of the CPU posting at the original multiplier then getting changed after the initial post.

or it might be the memory. Some memory doesn't like the 1:1 setting. It might run much higher at like 2:1, 3:1, etc... b/c the FSB (bandwidth) is lower and its not stressing the ram as much.

Try the F7 bios on the DS3, if you haven't already.

Thanks for the feed back people! :D

I have tried the F5, F6,F7 and even the F8a beta for DS3. I can run memory at 1:1 to CAS3 even @ up to 900MHz, so the ram seems to be healthy. I can run the mem at over 1k using a divider@ CAS4. The FSB just dies at over 427 on both boards. CPU only needs 1.15 volts to be dual prime stable at 2.98MHz.

I would think that a low volt low temp e6300 should easily do over 430 @ 6x, especially when it can do 427x7 with out breaking a sweat. Seems really strange to me. I guess there must really be a FSB limit to e6300s.

I wonder if this means that people with an e6300 who are waiting for the D9 fix may find that it doesn't help?

Now the question is, do I keep the PB5 or the DS3.

Any thoughts on which will is better for future overclocking?

Again, Thanks for all your feedback!

There both really good OC'ers, but I would say keep the DS3 cause I have one :p

mobic said:
Thanks for the feed back people! :D

I have tried the F5, F6,F7 and even the F8a beta for DS3. I can run memory at 1:1 to CAS3 even @ up to 900MHz, so the ram seems to be healthy. I can run the mem at over 1k using a divider@ CAS4. The FSB just dies at over 427 on both boards. CPU only needs 1.15 volts to be dual prime stable at 2.98MHz.

I would think that a low volt low temp e6300 should easily do over 430 @ 6x, especially when it can do 427x7 with out breaking a sweat. Seems really strange to me. I guess there must really be a FSB limit to e6300s.

I wonder if this means that people with an e6300 who are waiting for the D9 fix may find that it doesn't help?

Now the question is, do I keep the PB5 or the DS3.

Any thoughts on which will is better for future overclocking?

Again, Thanks for all your feedback!

Your next step is to try different ram or different CPU. :eek: more $

If you want more.... sell the CPU to someone who will be content with 7x400. Thats still a great OC, that most people would be perfectly happy with.

I kind of think its the ram. Some ram just behaves weird at certain ratios. You say its good to XXXX speed, but I assume you're testing it a higher than 1:1 ratio which can be less stressful.

I
kind of think its the ram. Some ram just behaves weird at certain ratios. You say its good to XXXX speed, but I assume you're testing it a higher than 1:1 ratio which can be less stressful.

I also tried it with these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145040

They hit the wall at same exact FSB. It has to be the CPU.

3 Things I have learned:

1. Skip the the e6300 and do the e6400 at least if your looking to overclock. I was trying to save some cash and really wish I had gone with 6400. By the time I figured this out, my return window had passed for CPU, all 3 days. Which lead me to try the PB5 because of all the D9 memory talk that had been mentioned lately. Seems was CPU all along and not GigDs3 D9 prob.
2. Give up the need for more speed in CPU overclock and put the extra $ into a better dirx10 video card when they come out. Even an e6300 with an average overclock is a good performer for most current games. The real challenge is having a video card that will keep up with it, especially at higher resolutions.
3. See #1

Now the only thing I have to figure out is which MB to keep. I have noticed that the DS3 is easier to overclock and a bit more stable at 425 FSB.

The sound on the PB5Deluxe seems much better than DS3. Since I am not budgeted for an extra sound card, I am leaning towards the PB5.

Any other thoughts about which board to keep?

If you have the p5b deluxe keep that, I might be using the DS3 but my e-penis/overclock-penis is telling me to get a P5b-e at least.

I've got the p5b deluxe wifi, upgraded the bios to 711, with osz platinum rev2 2x1gb pc2-6400 sdram, and the E6300.
Everything booted up fine with the standards settings. I put on a new heat sink/fan on the E6300.
I am trying to overclock this setup. I can run the FSB up to around 430 and then no further. I don't seem to be limited on core clock, as I can lower the multiplier to 6x and still face the 430 FSB limit.
OSZ claims that this SDRAM should run up to 500mhz at 2.1v , so I suspect it isn't the problem.

I started with the setup guides on various sites.
I've played with the straps and they don't seem to have any effect.
I've twiddled the core voltage, NB,SB voltages and termination voltages, nothing has an effect. I've tried all the things i've read in the threads.

I do notice, as reported by others, that the NB gets real hot when I try to go past 430. I thought that the NB could be overclocked.

Is it possible that my board just won't run faster than this? When I look at the database, I see a lot of better results for the FSB. Obviously, with an E6300, I'm limited on the core clock to 7x.
thanks
Jonathan

mobic said:

mobic said:
1. Skip the the e6300 and do the e6400 at least if your looking to overclock. I was trying to save some cash and really wish I had gone with 6400. By the time I figured this out, my return window had passed for CPU, all 3 days. Which lead me to try the PB5 because of all the D9 memory talk that had been mentioned lately. Seems was CPU all along and not GigDs3 D9 prob.
2. Give up the need for more speed in CPU overclock and put the extra $ into a better dirx10 video card when they come out. Even an e6300 with an average overclock is a good performer for most current games. The real challenge is having a video card that will keep up with it, especially at higher resolutions.
3. See #1

Any other thoughts about which board to keep?

Yep...I've been telling people the e6400 is well worth the extra $40 to keep you from being motherboard or ram limited on your overclock

I like the DS3 a lot. It has been so flexible for me. (since the F7 bios) And I've noticed that Gigabyte pretty much added everything that people were asking for in their BIOS revisions. I don't have the Asus P5B-deluxe, but its a "better" board supposedly with all its fancy features. Though I've always preferred a lean mean OC'ing machine.

My 6300 can use 6x, are you sure it's not a setting on the board you are missing?

Pretty sure. I have tried all the tweaks, volts, timings that I can on different MBs and rams. I think that some e6300s are crapping out at 430FSB for some reason.

The sound on the PB5 seems better. Is the PB5 audio chipset better than DS3? I have to stick with onboard sound for now.:(

I did notice that the PB5 did EAX properly and the DS3 did not in my experiences as well.

http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/11171

If you are looking at boards either is good, but the PB5 is better. The PB5 took longer to dial in, but in the end it is more stable and has much better sound.

I am running my Crucial Anv. @2.4V 3-3-3-8@426 BTW. Couldn't get the timings that tight on the DS3.

Thanks for everyones comments and help. I hope this thread can help others who are hitting e6300 FSB wall at 425-430 on both DS3 and PB5. If you are hitting this wall, most likely its not D9 prob on the Gigabyte DS3, that seems to be @ around 450. Cheers! :D

Back