Gigabyte - crappy fan control = heat trapping

rastaban

Gawd
Been tinkering with my new Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH for a few days now and I have quite a few regrets as this is my first Gigabyte board.
I'm on the F5 "BIOS" version.

- no fine grain LLC control
- no adaptive Vcore (I thought Skylake was supposed to have this??)
- attempting to load UEFI profiles freeze the system after some OC failures
- multiple UEFI profiles sometimes get wiped after OC failure
- XMP profile throws overclock failed error (mentioned here)
- only 6 SATA ports on a $200 board (my oversight here)

and finally the issue in the title...
There's no way to link fan headers to different input temperatures. The ITE IT8628E fan controller chip is also not supported under SpeedFan (bugtrack) so exhaust fans using Sys_fan headers can't match speeds to CPU tower cooler fans.
When my two CPU tower cooler fans ramp up to 1600rpm under load, my exhaust fan continues to crawl at 600rpm because the input signals are different. Short of pinning the exhaust fan at 1600rpm, there's no way around proper heat removal.

What have you other Gigabyte board users with 2-fan tower coolers been doing?

Last edited:
what do you know...a beta F6f BIOS came out 2 days ago
I'll have to give it a spin this weekend.

edit: F6f is for the UD5 not the UD5 TH

Last edited:
If the board doesn't support the fan control you need, you could always get a drive bay fan controller with temp probes and set it up that way.

As for me, I pretty much just have my fans run full blast all the time except for the video card fans.

I actually have a fan controller already but it's a manual one for the front intakes. Unfortunately the large case size also makes it difficult to stretch the fan wiring to the bay.

Last edited:
If the board doesn't support the fan control you need, you could always get a drive bay fan controller with temp probes and set it up that way.

As for me, I pretty much just have my fans run full blast all the time except for the video card fans.

And this is normal for a high end (or almost high end) card? Gigabyte become a joke, in their products and RMA

Run my completely silent Noctua fans at 100% all the time. Never bothered me.

I too prefer the KISS approach. Dual 180mm Fn181s and leave that bitch at 100%. if it wants to adjust it's fine.. makes no difference at 18db max lol.

That said had a budget matx ASUS zwhatever with a 6700k build recently and although it cost mid-high 100USD range it had pretty damn effective fan control and configurable fan options.. and 6 SATA ports lol.

I'm pretty sensitive to sound. My fans are all upgraded with performance rivaling Noctuas but they are definitely not inaudible under load.

intakes - 2x 140mm Noiseblocker XK2 1100rpm on fan controller
HSF - 2x 120mm Noiseblocker BlackSilentPro PLPS PWM 1500rpm
exhausts - 2x 120mm Noiseblocker Multiframe M12-S2 1250rpm

I'm thinking my next acoustics upgrade would be sound dampening padding, but it irks me that Gigabyte can't come out with decent fan control software.

I actually have a fan controller already but it's a manual one for the front intakes. Unfortunately the large case size also makes it difficult to stretch the fan wiring to the bay.

Here is another idea. Get a fan wiring splitter and plug in the exhaust fan into the same header as one of the CPU cooler fans. It will only monitor the RPMs on one of the fans, but the header will still push out the needed voltage for both fans to run at the same speed.

You will need the exhaust fan to be the same exact fan as the CPU cooler fans for it to keep the same RPM.

Silverstone CPF01 3.94" PWM Fan Splitter Cable

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Here is another idea. Get a fan wiring splitter and plug in the exhaust fan into the same header as one of the CPU cooler fans. It will only monitor the RPMs on one of the fans, but the header will still push out the needed voltage for both fans to run at the same speed.

True, that's a lot simpler. Thanks.

Yea, motherboard fan control is pretty much a lost cause. I like the Antec TrueQuiet 120. Very quiet and has a 2-position switch for hi/low speed, which are both pretty quiet, just more wind whoosh. I added a variable controller that hangs out back of tower that I can turn and fine control all the fans on it. It has a pigtail on it for 3 fans.

Asus has pretty good mobo fan control. I've got an old Z77 board and even in Windows 10 the Asus software works reliably. I have all my case fans with individual fan curves... only limitation is having to base off CPU or mobo temp and not GPU temp.

The Gigabyte *Siv is what I have been using, works good with my GA-Z710-Gaming3

The Gigabyte *Siv is what I have been using, works good with my GA-Z710-Gaming3
I've been using SIV too because it's the only option. Unfortunately, it does not allow fan headers to use alternate inputs which is what I need in my usage case (a pretty common one).

Back