Gigabyte B85M DS3H reboots after a few seconds

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a mobo that boots, the fan spins for a few seconds and reboots. I timed anywhere from about 8 to 15 seconds.

If I keep it on, sometimes it posts for a few seconds and reboots and not post again for several times.

furthermore, every now and then it will post and run for hours completely stable until I turn it off or reboot.

I already baked it a couple of times but no change

Any ideas?, I know its old but I"d like to bring it back to life.

Ahhh......most likely the good 'ol Gigabyte boot loop problem.

Last one of these I dealt with on a friends Gigabyte B75M board, I followed this video and it worked!

Was investigating external flashing the board with a test clip and a USB CMOS flasher I have for all my retro computing needs, but the above video did the trick. Good luck.

I have a mobo that boots, the fan spins for a few seconds and reboots. I timed anywhere from about 8 to 15 seconds.

If I keep it on, sometimes it posts for a few seconds and reboots and not post again for several times.

furthermore, every now and then it will post and run for hours completely stable until I turn it off or reboot.

I already baked it a couple of times but no change

Any ideas?, I know its old but I"d like to bring it back to life.

I had this same problem in an old 775 system. Turns out it was my power supply.

I had this same problem in an old 775 system. Turns out it was my power supply.
I tested the board with a PS from my main rig, same issue.

also tried diffent ram and even different CPU.

No visible physical damage, nothing seems burned.

stupid me it says dualbios right on the mobo Lol, anyway it didn't work
I tried shorting the pins, now it will cycle between a couple of seconds to about a minute. only post once a garbled bios screen, it rebooted before I could take a picture

btw I noticed the chipset heatsink gets much hotter than before.

So it seems it did something

Bummer, unfortunately if it's not something else wrong with the board, your best bet would be an external EEPROM burner and a SOIC8 SOP8 test clip to flash the BIOS chips externally. I am aware of many people having to do that as a last ditch resort to get these trouble prone 'dual-BIOS' boards working again after they decide to crash and burn.

Something along the lines of the info here: https://www.win-raid.com/t4217f16-G...g-with-CH-A-possible-without-desoldering.html or here

unfortunately the chips are soldered
I used to do bios hot swap on my ABIT NFS-7. As it got corrupted if you overclocked too much.

I don"t have access to an eeprom programer but I think a friend of mine does.

so maybe there"s still hope

Back