Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master, bad luck or bad run?

JosiahBradley

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm about to be on my third Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master. The first one died in 45 seconds. The second lasted long enough to test my 3950x. Now it just won't power on. It's not the PSU as I've tried 2 different Seasonics one being brand new. I've tried a 3800x and 3950x in this board. First the sound card died, all the analog ports produced nothing, but the optical did work. So probably just the DAC. Then I go to turn it on and it's completely dead. No LEDs or anything. Reading reviews all over, this seems extremely common for this board and across x570 from gigabyte this round. I'm not sure what to do but try a third one and hope it doesn't fail outside the return window. I'm kinda bummed as the feature set on this board was basically perfect.

2 in quick succession. I'm guessing something else is killing your board unless you got a super early bad batch. I've heard that Gigabyte has cleaned up their game for the X570 series.

A case short? Bad PSU?

I just returned a Gigabyte AORUS X570 Pro WiFi board because it wouldn’t save any bios settings, wouldn’t boot, and when it did, Bluetooth and WiFi wouldn’t show in device manager. Tried flashing the bios, changing the battery, nothing worked. Sent it back and got an MSI MEG X570 ACE board and everything is great.

I've had the x570 master for awhile. It works fine. I did have some issue's at first, it's super, super picky about memory timings.

some observations

One time it wouldn't turn on, had to reset the bios. Thought it died, hit the bios reset again and removed power.
A couple times it would boot loop (like memory training forever, ever, ever)
*note* It has an insanely long memory retraining

in the earlier bios's setting xmp wouldn't set the correct voltage (and obviously crash)

One of the times the bios had fixed the problem, but then the board randomly booted to the 2nd bios

That said I've had decent luck with 1.10 and 1.11. I updated both bios's to the same version. I also set static timings in the bios (known good ones) and haven't had a problem in awhile.

2 in quick succession. I'm guessing something else is killing your board unless you got a super early bad batch. I've heard that Gigabyte has cleaned up their game for the X570 series.

A case short? Bad PSU?
Like I've said I tried 2 different PSUs, 2 different CPUs and this was tested on an anti static bag before use.

If it's a case short that's pretty impressive as there really hasn't been time to get any dust or metal behind the Mobo. I gotta rip out everything anyhow to test so maybe it'll work again...

I've cleared the bios, tried all power tricks, unplugged everything I could. It just has no sign of life. No sound, no lights, just brick like.

Anti static bags can be conductive.
Well fuck. I'm going to just use my switch. All these years of building PCs has eaten away my soul. This was my greatest build ever and I can't do something as simple as get a working motherboard.

Try it on a piece of cardboard or a test bench.
I will be, after I tear down everything. Drain the loop etc. Sadly I messed up on the loop design as my top rad doesn't have a fill port so it's nearly impossible to drain.

Well fuck. I'm going to just use my switch. All these years of building PCs has eaten away my soul. This was my greatest build ever and I can't do something as simple as get a working motherboard.

Sometimes I feel this way. lol.

Loop drained. Mobo on cardboard. Only plugged in 24pin 8pin CPU and one stick of RAM. Still no lights or power. Tried with both 8 pins, no 8pins, just 24pin. No ram, etc. Removed CMOS battery, reinstalled CMOS battery. Tried different PSU cables even. Tried second PSU. No combination works.

It's dead Jim!

Going for board 3. It's been almost 2 months without a PC with returning parts etc.

Loop drained. Mobo on cardboard. Only plugged in 24pin 8pin CPU and one stick of RAM. Still no lights or power. Tried with both 8 pins, no 8pins, just 24pin. No ram, etc. Removed CMOS battery, reinstalled CMOS battery. Tried different PSU cables even. Tried second PSU. No combination works.

It's dead Jim!

Going for board 3. It's been almost 2 months without a PC with returning parts etc.

That sucks, was it an rma replacement or just new from retailer?

That sucks, was it an rma replacement or just new from retailer?
Both have been new in box. Using Amazon returns. It's just so odd it's the exact same issue for both even with completely different hardware otherwise.

From what I've read this board has a very high failure rate something like 1 out of 5. Other X570 GigaByte boards have been flaky as well or outright die including one I had the Aorus Wifi it was okay at first except had a cold boot problem. After a few days the board wouldn't post at all. RMA'd and got the Asus ROG Strix E-Gaming, more than I wanted to spend on a board but it's been working great.

Sucks because I've always liked GigaByte boards but their X570 lineup is trouble I'd avoid.

Amazon decided not to send me another replacement and instead refunded me. I've decided to get the Asus crosshair VIII Hero. Now my rig will be very ROG lol.

Amazon decided not to send me another replacement and instead refunded me. I've decided to get the Asus crosshair VIII Hero. Now my rig will be very ROG lol.

You should have gotten the Strix-E. It has essentially same vrm as CH but w/o its issues and its loaded and cheap... er.

You should have gotten the Strix-E. It has essentially same vrm as CH but w/o its issues and its loaded and cheap... er.
Ah! I did not know this. I don't think I've ever run an Asus board honestly, so not familiar with the product segmentation here. Started with DFI, Abit, MSI, and Gigabyte over the years.

Well lets hope those extra 20A power stages on the SoC make the crosshair worth it lol. I do need to pump FCLK 1900 and high speed RAM so maybe it'll help 🤷‍♂️

Ah! I did not know this. I don't think I've ever run an Asus board honestly, so not familiar with the product segmentation here. Started with DFI, Abit, MSI, and Gigabyte over the years.

Well lets hope those extra 20A power stages on the SoC make the crosshair worth it lol. I do need to pump FCLK 1900 and high speed RAM so maybe it'll help 🤷‍♂️

From a realistic standpoint, no. From (I love to pretend my x570 is the best) Certainly. :p

Bit of an old thread revive, but I too just received a new X570 Master, and it died on me within 3 hours of starting it up. Everything was fine until I restarted and it would wake back up.

There is a thread floating around here. Removing CMOS battery was fixing the non boot issues.

Wish I had known this earlier as I went through 2 boards and the ASUS doesn't overclock at all. Won't boot if I touch any slider or even set the RAM to 3600 with very high timings like 18. It pisses me off cause the gigabyte worked so well when it actually worked. I wasted thousands on this system and probably won't build another custom PC again after 2 decades.

What issues specifically does the CH8 have?

I'm working on my first build in nearly 12 years. Computer went to sleep over the weekend and never woke up.

Looking mainly at the Aorus Master, CH8 and Asrock Creator.

Is there a consensus on 2-3 X570 boards that are considered head and shoulders above the rest?

I'm working on my first build in nearly 12 years. Computer went to sleep over the weekend and never woke up.

Is there a consensus on 2-3 X570 boards that are considered head and shoulders above the rest?

I never had any issues with my CH8. I've also used the Prime X570-Pro board which is also excellent if you don't need wifi or the 2.5G LAN. I haven't used 5xx boards from Gigabyte or ASRock, but I've had reasonably good luck with their 4xx boards.

All depends on what you are looking for on a motherboard, personally if I'm doing overclock on the system and play with settings I go with Asrock, they have good overclocking bios.

The CH has had a bricking issue with its bios going back the last 2-3 generations. Someone on the ROG team keep effing it up. It doesn't affect all boards but there are numerous instances of this out in the wild.

I've use a handful of boards, Aorus Xtreme TRx40, Asus Strix-E, and MSI Carbon Pro AC Wifi. Gigabyte bios' kind of suck especially for the money in the case of the 850 buck Xtreme. The biggest annoyance was that the user saved bios profiles did not save fan/pump settings and profiles would get wiped on every update. Also, the software provided like Gigafail's RGB Fusion... crap I hate using it! The MSI was better but it had an annoying soft boot fail process where it doesn't tell you it failed boot and loads default settings. It's good that it recovers on its own, but if they don't let you know it's actually a hindrance especially if you had no clue like I did. I was tearing my hair out why the fuck is this board acting stupid?? As for the Strix-E, I love the ROG bios. Even Dram Calculator copies the memory latency screen from ROG as in the field layouts. When you're inputting latencies it is annoying as hell to have to hunt and peck for trfc etc etc, whereas with the ROG bios the fields in the bios line up with the same order in dram calc. The other things I like about the board are the bios profiles which not only save every detail but are also saved between bios updates. The m.2 heatsink also cools ridiculously well for a motherboard sink. Between the MSI and Asus, I take Asus hands down but it is a bit more money than the MSI, though the Strix-E vrms are bulletproof.

Last edited:
Back