Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8GB Below MSRP

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
This has to be a sure sign that the mining craze is over for us folks that just want to get our game on. Not only is the Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8GB down to $209.99 with Prime Shipping after a $20 MIR, there is actually stock too. Enough stock for this AMD graphics card to actually be number one in the category.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ugggghhhh. Should I jump on this and finally retire the 290 or just keep waiting on the Vega refresh.

Also waiting for some decent DDR4 prices to complete a new build... decisions decisions.

Little Bitch 4?

Good deal for those who have waited. Here's hoping Vega prices will soon follow

I've been trying to get one of the AIB 1080s that keep going on sale for under $400. After upgrading to coffee lake and a new ultra wide monitor last year buy just finding video card prices insane I'm just used to waiting now. I might as well just keep waiting. I've got all my games running ok on the 480 I managed to pick up to hold me over.

I'm glad prices are finally returning to sane levels though. But two year old tech should be below msrp not at it.

Ugggghhhh. Should I jump on this and finally retire the 290 or just keep waiting on the Vega refresh.

Also waiting for some decent DDR4 prices to complete a new build... decisions decisions.
Id keep the 290. Wait for at least a vega 56

Mail in ripoff, I mean rebate...
Just take the amount off the price instead of wasting the buyer's time, or decline the rebate because someone goofed in the process.
Yeah, doing those rebates requires you follow instructions. I have never had issue with a MIR in 20 years. Follow the instructions, take pictures before you mail it in. Pretty simple.

*still holding onto his RX480 bought in 2017 for $209 on valentines day
I bought one around the same time for $200 (after rebate, which I got,) but ditched it later in the year for $380. Then I snagged a GTX 1070 from someone here right before they started really going up, so I'm $260 out of pocket for it. Damn miners! :sneaky:

There will be many great deals on used current gen cards here shortly when the 2xxx series hits and people flood fleaBay and CL with their current cards. (y)

Did this years ago before I had a camera, it was a pretty big rebate that got declined for some reason, wasn't worth the hassle for me going back and forth with them. I mainly avoid them now.
Well, I tell you what, you can send me all the stuff needed for rebates, I will happily send those if you are not going to use them.

I got a card from MSI yesterday for $30. You fill in the blanks on a web form, print it off, and mail the paper in with the UPC. As simple as it gets.

meanwhile in france
fOXo9xo.jpg

fOXo9xo.jpg

Very glad to see this price drop, but also waiting on the Vega 56/64 (or next gen) to replace my 290.

At this time, it hardly seems like a deal to me.

motherfuckers, still $390CAN...
What a deal, better hurry up !
I paid 230$ on newegg.ca in ealry 2017.

I got a card from MSI yesterday for $30. You fill in the blanks on a web form, print it off, and mail the paper in with the UPC. As simple as it gets.

I'd prefer to send via email or upload directly to their website. Mailing a form, in 2018?

I went thru the listings for these model of cards yesterday, and fortunately the price matching site i use provide a graph of the development in price over the past months.
But i haven't really seen any significant drops in price lately on either Nvidia or AMD cards, aside for the MSI 1080ti i mentioned elsewhere that did drop 1000 DKkr / 155 USD in one day, prices to fluctuate a little of course, but always with in +/- 50 USD

Most expensive RX 580 in Denmark today are the Asus Arez strix RX580-T8G Gaming at 539 USD, and the cheapest RX 580 are the XFX RX 580 GTS at 339 USD ( only looking at 8GB parts, but 4 Gb are not that much cheaper thats its worth the saving )

LOL, but they are COUNTING on most people to forget, or after the fact, for it to be too much of a hassle, so they make even more money

The way it works is this:

Company wants to offload product but doesn't want to deal with all the rebate processing. So they go to a 3rd party handling company and go, "We expect 30,000 rebates at $20 each. We will give you $XYZ,PDQ dollars to handle all this work for us. But if there is money left over you can keep it." The mfg marks this as a "Inventory write down" They like to know these numbers in advance so it doesn't get messy balancing books for the stock market and outlook. So they usually just do a lump sum write down.

Now what they pay the 3rd part processor is slim. We are talking a real small profit. They may offer like 1% of each rebate which is $0.20 on each $20.00 rebate processed. But assuming only 15,000 out of 30,000 apply for rebates, then they just made 15,000 * $20 = $300,000 + 1%. So they will do EVERYTHING in their power to deny or delay your rebate because that is more money in their pocket. Also the longer they can hold onto it, the more money they can make on it. Some rebate processor get shady and dump that money onto the stock market. On an average 1/2 of holding funds they could make 3->4%. But it's risky. I've seen rebate clearance houses go out of business for doing this shady stuff.

This is the general trend. But there are rebate houses which get a flat rate and do not get to keep extra money that are more reputable. The problem is you never know whom you are dealing with in terms of payments and reputation. Basically I ignore rebates now for this reason.

The way it works is this:

Company wants to offload product but doesn't want to deal with all the rebate processing. So they go to a 3rd party handling company and go, "We expect 30,000 rebates at $20 each. We will give you $XYZ,PDQ dollars to handle all this work for us. But if there is money left over you can keep it." The mfg marks this as a "Inventory write down" They like to know these numbers in advance so it doesn't get messy balancing books for the stock market and outlook. So they usually just do a lump sum write down.

Now what they pay the 3rd part processor is slim. We are talking a real small profit. They may offer like 1% of each rebate which is $0.20 on each $20.00 rebate processed. But assuming only 15,000 out of 30,000 apply for rebates, then they just made 15,000 * $20 = $300,000 + 1%. So they will do EVERYTHING in their power to deny or delay your rebate because that is more money in their pocket. Also the longer they can hold onto it, the more money they can make on it. Some rebate processor get shady and dump that money onto the stock market. On an average 1/2 of holding funds they could make 3->4%. But it's risky. I've seen rebate clearance houses go out of business for doing this shady stuff.

This is the general trend. But there are rebate houses which get a flat rate and do not get to keep extra money that are more reputable. The problem is you never know whom you are dealing with in terms of payments and reputation. Basically I ignore rebates now for this reason.
You don't say! Had no idea... Had so many bad experiences that i don't consider rebates a discount.

Did this years ago before I had a camera, it was a pretty big rebate that got declined for some reason, wasn't worth the hassle for me going back and forth with them. I mainly avoid them now.

Must not have been a pretty big rebate then.

I avoid them like the plague. It is my small vote to the retailer.
Had bought a HD7950 and a HD7870. Both with rebates. Filled forms/UPC identical for each. Got one rebate. Rejected on the other.
Didn't seem to be any logical way to fight it without undo stress and waste of time.

At this time, it hardly seems like a deal to me.

Compared to everything else out right now, it is. A couple of weeks ago it was an MSI card at $209. We're not going to see a new 2060 card till November and January given past history and 1060 cards aren't really dropping below msrp right now. If you need a 1080p card right now, they are the best price/perf card.

I paid 330 euro (380USD) for this card about 4-5 months ago. Mine runs at 1480Mhz all day. This is a serious deal.

I predict that these and other RX-580s will be $170 BEFORE MiR soon enough. There's too much pressure from all around to keep these any higher than that. You have ex-mining cards with extremely reasonable prices pouring into the market from both nVidia and AMD lines. The we have the possible upcoming RTX-2060 and RTX-2050-Ti that may retail for $349-$429 and $179-$259 respectively with the performance of the RX-580 likely being outstripped by the RTX-2050-Ti.

I was really hoping AMD would give Polaris another refresh, toss some GDDR6 or GDDR5x on the new cards and increase clocks a bit.

Just saw today a Gigabyte 1080 ti had dropped 1000 DKkr and was almost as cheap as the cheapest Vega 64 here :eek: but thats still in the area of 750 USD here

Attachments

• V63Vs1080ti.jpg
    V63Vs1080ti.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 0
I'd prefer to send via email or upload directly to their website. Mailing a form, in 2018?

Since you cannot email a physical UPC cut out, all you can do is actual mail in 2018. And before you say it, the physical UPC is required to keep people from turning in rebates without buying the product, or attempting to return the product after submitting the rebate.

Compared to everything else out right now, it is. A couple of weeks ago it was an MSI card at $209. We're not going to see a new 2060 card till November and January given past history and 1060 cards aren't really dropping below msrp right now. If you need a 1080p card right now, they are the best price/perf card.

Can't argue with you on that. If you need a card now for 1080p I guess thats the one, deal or not.

Since you cannot email a physical UPC cut out, all you can do is actual mail in 2018. And before you say it, the physical UPC is required to keep people from turning in rebates without buying the product, or attempting to return the product after submitting the rebate.

If they wanted to, they could come up with a system to make it work, its not even hard. They just don't want to do it because more people will/might start claiming those MiR.

Last edited:
Back