Gigabyte Aorus motherboards, any way to save settings during BIOS update?

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
Currently there is no way that I know of to save BIOS settings and then restore them after a BIOS update. If you try to save your settings to a file, it will give an error when you try to restore it because of the different BIOS version. But this is a HUGE pain in the ass.... I understand why certain settings wouldn't be saved but other settings are very basic. For example, I have elaborate custom fan curves for almost every fan connector. These curves can take quite a while to setup. My only "backup" method is to basically take a picture of each fan curve and then restore each one manually while looking at the picture, which still takes a while. I also have my curve optimizer settings really dialed-in with a separate offset for each core. Again, only way to back that up is to take a picture with my phone before I update the BIOS. It seems absurd that I have to resort to that. A BIOS update becomes an hour-long affair.

Is there any other way to backup and restore any of these settings that maybe I'm missing?

My specific motherboard is an Aorus Ultra x570 but I'm guessing the BIOS on most current Aorus boards functions similarly in this respect.

Currently there is no way that I know of to save BIOS settings and then restore them after a BIOS update. If you try to save your settings to a file, it will give an error when you try to restore it because of the different BIOS version. But this is a HUGE pain in the ass.... I understand why certain settings wouldn't be saved but other settings are very basic. For example, I have elaborate custom fan curves for almost every fan connector. These curves can take quite a while to setup. My only "backup" method is to basically take a picture of each fan curve and then restore each one manually while looking at the picture, which still takes a while. I also have my curve optimizer settings really dialed-in with a separate offset for each core. Again, only way to back that up is to take a picture with my phone before I update the BIOS. It seems absurd that I have to resort to that. A BIOS update becomes an hour-long affair.

Is there any other way to backup and restore any of these settings that maybe I'm missing?

My specific motherboard is an Aorus Ultra x570 but I'm guessing the BIOS on most current Aorus boards functions similarly in this respect.
I don't think so unless one of those crappy apps will save them. I'd just write down on a notepad your x/y coordinates for the 5 points. Shouldn't take an hour if you have a clear list.

I don't think so unless one of those crappy apps will save them. I'd just write down on a notepad your x/y coordinates for the 5 points. Shouldn't take an hour if you have a clear list.

Well taking the pictures of each fan curve gets the job done in that respect, but I still hate the tediousness of having to input every setting manually afterward. It's not just the fan curves that need to be re-input, it's literally every setting in the BIOS. If you use mostly default settings then it might not take that long, but I use different curve optimizer offsets for each CPU core, custom ram timings, etc that all need to be entered manually. And when I do it, I'm not trying to rush and do it as quick as I can. I go out of my way to double-check every value that I enter so I don't make a mistake and then have to track down problems later.

Well taking the pictures of each fan curve gets the job done in that respect, but I still hate the tediousness of having to input every setting manually afterward. It's not just the fan curves that need to be re-input, it's literally every setting in the BIOS. If you use mostly default settings then it might not take that long, but I use different curve optimizer offsets for each CPU core, custom ram timings, etc that all need to be entered manually. And when I do it, I'm not trying to rush and do it as quick as I can. I go out of my way to double-check every value that I enter so I don't make a mistake and then have to track down problems later.
Yeah it's a pita. One reason I haven't spent a ton of time messing with my mem timings is so I don't have to re-input everything.

An easy solution would be that if your pc works fine to stop updating the BIOS. Idealy you should only update a BIOS if you have issues.

The main reason these saves don't work is that when you update your bios some options might change or dissapear while others get added making them incompatible

Take a pic or write it down. You can save the settings to an external drive, but they're only useable on the version they were written from. That's just the way it is on gigabyte boards.

Back