Gigabyte Aorus Gen4 AIC adaptor - anyone got it working on X570 board?

tived

Limp Gawd
Hi Guys & Gals,

Bought one of these thinking I could expand my storage with M.2 drives but I am having trouble getting it to run @ x16

it apparently can't see all drives if it is only running at PCIe x8 which is a little frustrating on an X570 board

CPU 3900x
Mobo: MSI MEG X570 ACE and also tried it with Prestige X570 Creation

I only have a GPU card as well as the storage controller

would really appreciate if anyone can help me out here - other then sell and get a Threadripper (which I would love, but....<$$$)

thanks

Henrik

NB: anyone know if this will only work on Gigabyte boards and TRX40 chipset?

It's normal, your graphics cards has 16 lanes when it's the only card, once you add a 2nd x16 card both will drop to x8, this would be the same for most mainstream motherboards unless you go HEDT.

Now PCIe 4.0 x8 would be equel to PCIe 3.0 x16 so it should still be plenty fast unless you have a specific need to get the full speed

X570 is the wrong platform for a Gen4 bifurication card. You only have x8 lanes to feed it so at most you can only use two nvme drives. You'd need a platform with 16 lanes and bifurication support to fully tap into the AIC card, so yea TRX40 or similar will obviously be best.

At x8 you won't be able to hit the upper limits of 15gbps read and write. For ex. my trx40 workstation:

382098_cdisk.jpg

thanks guys,

really appreciate the feedback.

I did some benchmarking earlier today while I was busy trying to bring some life back to my Old SR-2

I managed to get 5 drives up, I stripped 4 of them and left one for boot disk, unfortunately only two on the Gigabyte controller, 3 on the motherboard with I see no improvement over 3 disks

depending on what test you run on Crystal default or Real World Performance I did three test on each (a lot of testing - the wife is away on a girls weekend, so I had time ;-))

DEFAULT Profile
Seagate 520 1TB - single disk

A 01_CrystalDiskMark_Seagate 520 1TB - 1GB Default profile - reference disk.png

Corsair MP600 2TB Gigabyte Aorus 2TB - single disk

A 01_CrystalDiskMark_Corsair MP600 2TB - 1GB Default profile.png
A 01_CrystalDiskMark_Gigatyte Aorus 2TB - 1GB Default profile.png

Corsair MP600 2x 2TB RAID-0
B 45_CrystalDiskMark_ 2x 2tb raid 0 1GB default profile - MP600x2.png

Corsair MP600 3x 2TB RAID-0

D 30_CrystalDiskMark_ 3x 2tb raid 0 1GB default profile.png

Now the interesting part - 4x 2TB (3x MP600 and 1x Gigabyte Aorus) all 2TB - We are going backwards!!!

E 10_CrystalDiskMark_ 4x 2tb raid 0 1GB default profile.png

so it looks like without PCIe running at 16x, 3 disks will be that max, unless you need the extra space

i'll post with all the benchmarks as I did 1, 16 and 64GB

thanks again for taking the time to reply

Henrik

Back