GIGABYTE Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi AMD Ryzen Mobo Review @ [H]

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by Kyle_Bennett, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

GIGABYTE Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi AMD Ryzen Mobo Review

GIGABYTE’s flagship X470 motherboard is a gorgeous piece of hardware, packed with features and bristling with options. It fully supports AMD's Precision Boost 2 technology for new Ryzen processors. This motherboard has overclocking in mind with its design and of course has plenty of Frag Harder Disco Lights, should that be your thing.

If you like our content, please support HardOCP on Patreon.

Rauelius likes this.
  2. ianken

ianken [H]ard|Gawd

So, is only having 8x8 on the two PCIex16 slots a negative? Or does it even matter anymore? I still run SLI. Probably won't on my next build since the benefits seems to be vanishing.

3. Kyle_Bennett

Na. We have tested this over the years and never been able to see any appreciable differences outside the margins of error even back on PCIe 2.0.

Peter2k and Zarathustra[H] like this.
  4. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Pick your own.....you deserve it.

I would be just fine without the frag harder lights and the wifi, but otherwise not a bad board.

5. Zarathustra[H]

Yeah, from looking at the charts and graphs in Afterburner during gameplay, it seems to me the PCIe bandwidth matters the most during load when you are transferring several gigs worth of textures to VRAM over the bus. Once loaded and running, the PCIe bus only seems loaded in the single digit percent range. Even during load, they never come even close to being maxed out.

I have no idea if these readings are accurate though. Nothing beats actual real world testing like Kyle and team have done.

DrezKill and Vercinaigh like this.
  6. Zarathustra[H]

Hmm,

I wonder if you look under the for show only cover over the back of the I/O shield, if you can remove and replace the WLAN mPCI card.

When I built my router with a ASRock H270M-ITX/ac Mini-ITX board, they had this feature. There was a mini pic slot right back against the I/O shield, and you just loosened a screw, and could pull the entire WLAN assembly out.

IMG_20170331_211743.jpg

I thought this was a pretty neat design.

7. lucidrenegade

lucidrenegade Limp Gawd

With the limitations of the AM4 platform (PCI-E 2.0, etc.) there's really not much motherboard makers can do to differentiate their products. It's unfortunate.

8. Zarathustra[H]

I'd love to see some motherboard company start to overcome chipset and CPU PCIe lane limitations using fancy high end programmable multiplexers.

It cpuod become really fun. Could you imagine a board with 8 full length 16x slots, and you get to - in the BIOS - configure how many lanes each slot gets from the total available? :p

Better yet would be if future PCIe standards could allow for real time switching. GPU only using one lane worth of bandwidth right now? Reduce the lanes and assign them to something else.

9. kilroy67

kilroy67 Gawd

I have the X470 Aorus Gaming 5 and out of the box it has been a breeze to work with and is rock solid stable. But then again my last 3 boards have been Gigabyte and they all have been fantastic!

10. drutman

drutman n00bie

We had a customers build fry a Corsair SSD NVMe drive was a 1151 Gigabyte MB. Think there is a slot issue?

11. Vercinaigh

Vercinaigh Gawd

I've had a Asus board burst into flames, think they're still a firebomb? I've had a Asrock boot loop indefinitely, think there is still a faulty BIOS chip? I can go on and on and on....it's called defect, and they happen, to literally every company and eventually in the hands of everyone.

12. spintroniX

spintroniX Gawd

Great review. What follows is somewhat off topic, but related to the MFG.

I have the same board for the Intel chipset and the 7820x. Hyperthreading didn't work out of the box in Ubuntu back in November of last year. Worse yet, plotting with Matplotlib would straight reboot the system, in both Windows and Ubuntu.

It took them until January to patch the BIOS to get it stable. Since then it's been fine, however.

13. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardForum Junkie

And Kyle_Bennett

For single display it doesn’t seem to matter at all... however it might matter in very specific use cases — Low quality detail settings, triple 4K display/multi monitor setups, MultiGPU PCs where the video cards are not the biggest bottleneck.

How real world is this? Not common for sure! A triple 4K Nvidia surround or Eyefinity display is definitely unique, but there the limits of PCI-E 8x can be encountered.

For example: (in the tests below its the only case where the results are outside the margin of testing error/variance)

upload_2018-7-12_19-48-29.jpeg

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Titan-X-Performance-PCI-E-3-0-x8-vs-x16-851/

14. Archaea

Nice thourough review guys. I like that you spoke to DPC and the Realtek onboard onboard audio sound quality and the somewhat quirky Gigabyte motherboard applications. I build systems for others a half dozen times a year and it’s nice to keep a pulse on how the boards and vendors are doing/progressing generation to generation I currently have a x99 Gigabyte Gaming Ultra as my primary machine and while I like the Board, I’ve found it’s not worth installing the easy tune Gigabyte utility. It’s interesting to read that’s probably still the case here on the newer Gigabyte platform - even for AMD. One thing I noticed in my various system building is that the mouse cursor is laggy on my Gigabyte X99 UEFI bios screen but keyboard direction is instant. This was sort of unique and odd among bioses I’ve seen on systems I’ve built in the last year (ASRock AM4 370, MSI AM4 350, Asus 170 and 270, biostar b250 amd Asus 250, etc). Did you notice that at all on this Gigabyte board’s UEFI? (Any Mouse lag in the UEFI?)

15. Kyle_Bennett

Don't recall. If we did not mention it, it was nothing that was not usable. Quite frankly most of all of them suck in one way or another. I generally stick with keyboard and UEFI.

16. ltron

ltron n00bie

The images are not visible on my Android tablet. Anyone else have this issue?

17. Archaea

Yeah. Not visible on my iPhone either for some reason.

18. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

Motherboard manufacturers have employed various multiplexing chipsets in the past to expand the amount of PCIe lanes available to devices on a motherboard, with the added benefit of having PCIe switching added into the mix. However, this always resulted in increased latencies and no appreciable benefit beyond the switching functions.

It seems unlikely as three different Samsung drives worked in those slots without issue. One of which was a Samsung EVO 860 SATA drive and the other two were both Samsung EVO 970 NVMe drives. I also just built a system for a friend using a GIGABYTE X470 Aorus Gaming 5 WiFi, and he used the same Samsung EVO 970 NVMe drive, just at a higher capacity. 500GB vs. 250GB.

I test the manufacturer's software for the reviews but aside from RGB functionality, I wouldn't generally use it. I prefer to set the fan behavior in the UEFI and use Ryzen Master or Intel's XTU for any windows based tuning. The GIGABYTE UEFI on the X99 boards wasn't necessarily responsive with some mice. They were also somewhat inconsistent back in those days. In the last couple of years, GIGABYTE has improved dramatically in that regard. The current motherboards have all been very responsive in the UEFI, which is actually noted in the review.

Archaea likes this.
  19. Kyle_Bennett

Yeah, we are aware and working on it. We moved to new servers this week.

20. Simmonz

Simmonz 2[H]4U

I've got the X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming and have been happy. Glad it's big brother has done well. I was a bit wary of a Gigabyte motherboard as I haven't always liked their BIOS layouts and options but so far so good.

21. Astral Abyss

Astral Abyss 2[H]4U

I was just putting together a potential build based around this motherboard and a 2700X and here you guys go and review it. Perfect timing. I'm still leaning towards this board over the Crosshair VII. I've been waiting to pull the trigger in case something pops up on sale during Prime Day. Not likely, but I'd be pissed if I didn't wait and see.

22. Dan_D

I liked it better than the Crosshair VII Hero.

23. Astral Abyss

Astral Abyss 2[H]4U

and it dropped to $175 for Prime Day... Newegg countered with $170. Win/Win.

24. Dan_D

Nice.

25. Wingman_ice

Wingman_ice n00bie

Very nice, I picked this up on Prime Day. Thanks for the review. Helped me pull the trigger.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  26. Raffin

Raffin [H]Lite

Yep, same here. Found some better Prime competitive pricing on Newegg on a bundle and pulled the trigger on it.

Wingman_ice likes this.