GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U 43 inch 4k 144 HDR1000 QLED monitor

Also, is anyone else experiencing horizontal streaks? (Hardforum window on Discord window)

View attachment 436001
I remember trying to flag this one up along with the pixel row interference months ago, I believe they're related. Scrolling HardForum next to Discord just happens to be exactly where I first saw it too. It's an issue with the panel hardware and there's no fix.

Also Jickelsen in the NVidia control panel do you have the colour accuracy mode set to "reference"

Something i noticed early on with this display is with windows poor hdr implementation i would have to toggle this on and off quite a lot to stop the desktop looking washed out.

Not really re visited this recently since moving to windows 11 and F05 firmware as i got quite bored of constantly messing around. I'll see if it still has a big game to game difference still.
Toggling this a couple of times does not make a difference for me.

Are you saying you are running this monitor in HDR mode on Windows 11? I just can't get it to look acceptable.

Toggling this a couple of times does not make a difference for me.

Are you saying you are running this monitor in HDR mode on Windows 11? I just can't get it to look acceptable.
Yes currently running win11 with hdr on. - screen picture mode set to "HDR1000"

What I found (going back to when I originally had this screen on windows 10) was the desktop was super grey/washed out in reference mode - so I'd switch off "override to reference mode" then applied NVidia control panel tweaked colour settings..... annoying process.

If i left the Nvidia control panel tweaked settings and did not go back to "reference mode" for playing games they would be over saturated although at the same time only some games seemed to override the colour settings anyway and looked fine.

Like I say though, this was in the past. Now it seems improved - much less washed out on desktop.

Currently use,

HDR1000 picture mode and leave reference mode off and have (all channels) %50 brightness, 50% contrast, 1.25 gamma, 50% digital vibrance, 0 hue. - by no means calibrated!

Also set one of the few option you can change in HDR1000 picture mode - Super Resolution to 1.

Windows SDR content brightness to 100 (sometimes 50)

Perhaps someone else could share their settings ?

Yes currently running win11 with hdr on. - screen picture mode set to "HDR1000"

What I found (going back to when I originally had this screen on windows 10) was the desktop was super grey/washed out in reference mode - so I'd switch off "override to reference mode" then applied NVidia control panel tweaked colour settings..... annoying process.

If i left the Nvidia control panel tweaked settings and did not go back to "reference mode" for playing games they would be over saturated although at the same time only some games seemed to override the colour settings anyway and looked fine.

Like I say though, this was in the past. Now it seems improved - much less washed out on desktop.

Currently use,

HDR1000 picture mode and leave reference mode off and have (all channels) %50 brightness, 50% contrast, 1.25 gamma, 50% digital vibrance, 0 hue. - by no means calibrated!

Also set one of the few option you can change in HDR1000 picture mode - Super Resolution to 1.

Windows SDR content brightness to 100 (sometimes 50)

Perhaps someone else could share their settings ?
Thank you! I'll try these settings as soon as I get off from work. I don't really have an alternative to this monitor ATM, but I do want to work out if something is faulty. I can def. say that my C7 OLED handles HDR beautifully in both W11 disktop and games, while my FV43 does not. This was not he impression I was getting from reviews beforehand.

So, in HDR1000 your settings (which is basically increasing gamma from 1.0 to 1.25) still gives a very washed out image for me. I had to go for
  • Brightness 52%
  • Contrast 80%
  • Gamma 1.15
  • Digital Vibrance 60-70% depending on taste
This seems like an awfully big difference to just be panel variance...

So, in HDR1000 your settings (which is basically increasing gamma from 1.0 to 1.25) still gives a very washed out image for me. I had to go for
  • Brightness 52%
  • Contrast 80%
  • Gamma 1.15
  • Digital Vibrance 60-70% depending on taste
This seems like an awfully big difference to just be panel variance...
Hmmmm well without seeing side by side i suppose it also could be a factor of user bias/preference or something as this is all being eyeballed. Do you think a photo would do it justice to show it here?

Do make sure super res is set to 1 and in windows, hdr settings, sdr content brightness is 100 (or to your preference) - all again how i prefer it.

What firmware are you using? Are you using windows 11?

Last edited:
Question. Prior to the FV43U, I had the Acer X34p. When I was in a game and ALT TABed, the screen didn't go black and a couple seconds. With this monitor, when I ALT TAB from a game to let's say Chrome, the screen goes black for a second or two and then displays the picture. It's just annoying. Is there a way to eliminate the 1-2 second delay when ALT TABbing? Btw, I am using displayport not HDMI (if that makes a difference). I also have HDR in windows turned off - colors look like s*** and oversaturated. Reds look like orange, etc. I use Green and tweaked it to my taste.

Question. Prior to the FV43U, I had the Acer X34p. When I was in a game and ALT TABed, the screen didn't go black and a couple seconds. With this monitor, when I ALT TAB from a game to let's say Chrome, the screen goes black for a second or two and then displays the picture. It's just annoying. Is there a way to eliminate the 1-2 second delay when ALT TABbing? Btw, I am using displayport not HDMI (if that makes a difference). I also have HDR in windows turned off - colors look like s*** and oversaturated. Reds look like orange, etc. I use Green and tweaked it to my taste.
To my understanding this will be dependent on the application settings. For example if the application is in windowed/window borderless expect no transition. If it is full screen then there can be a transition - lengthened if the resolution, HDR is on/off or refresh rate is different to the desktop. On top of this some games just take a second or 2 to minimize.

Hey all have the FV43U.. I know this is very silly yet be shocked at how many never knew this. In the menu under Display we have HDR on right? For me if I turn it off.. yes washed out. HDR on looks great for me.. buts its a OLED VA screen and from Gigabyte so never expected much for $999. Lol to get one with no black light bleed was a huge plus.

That's what happens when you fall for the Samsung Q marketing, you think QLED and OLED are equivalent technologies.

Nvidia 3080ti on windows 10 21H1(19043.1466) and HDR looks great for me.
Once I turned it on, I never looked back.
SDR is not an option anymore.
Permanently activated on Desktop and games which support it.

That's what happens when you fall for the Samsung Q marketing, you think QLED and OLED are equivalent technologies.
Marketing can be really misleading and Samsung do have a habit of making everything "Quantum" but QLED does come from quantum dot tech, not related to the organic in OLED.

Možná to tu už někdo řešil. Nevíte, proč nemůžeme zaškrtnout políčko u bodu 3 v nastavení gsync v panelu nvidia? Pokud to potvrdím, po chvíli to zase naskočí jako nepotvrzené. Takže gsync na tom monitoru nefunguje. Firmwarový monitor fv43u mám f04, GK 1080ti, ovladač 511.65 a vše připojené přes DP kabel.
do you have check under "manage 3d settings" that there is also Gsync or Gsync compatible activated?

Možná to tu už někdo řešil. Nevíte, proč nemůžeme zaškrtnout políčko u bodu 3 v nastavení gsync v panelu nvidia? Pokud to potvrdím, po chvíli to zase naskočí jako nepotvrzené. Takže gsync na tom monitoru nefunguje. Firmwarový monitor fv43u mám f04, GK 1080ti, ovladač 511.65 a vše připojené přes DP kabel.
Solved

So my monitor after many months just started blinking out losing sync over DP with the included cable - it resyncs immediately but it's just annoying. This started soon after a driver update. After reading this thread, I dropped it down to 120hz and it seems fine. Lots of similar stories on the geforce forums about driver versions, settings etc. and multi monitor, but it sounds like it might be driver related. My first instinct was the cable or port on the monitor, but lots of people did have this after a driver update. I play a lot of new games, so I'm reluctant to roll back as far as some people are saying I would have to. 4K 120 is pretty indistinguishable from 144 but I do hope I get to put it back to 144 at some point.

I also enabled the g-sync visual display from the driver panel and it turns out I was not in VRR mode after my driver update! Good thing I checked. I was feeling the stuttering in some games, so glad to have smoothed that out. Nothing is fixing that Elden Ring stutter though from what I can see.

This post from eyejoy saved me - I had flashed firmware 04 and lost Displayport support (Monitor did not identify itself, Nvidia reported it as "Nvidia Digital Display", resolution was stuck at 640x480 - while it still worked as expected on HDMI):

[...]

My best bet would be that I followed the below sequence in the attempt that finally nailed it:

1. disconnect any other monitor/tv
2. connect Aorus via hdmi using hdmi 1 port of the monitor
3. reset monitor settings to factory defaults
4. flash the firmware
5. shut down the pc
6. disconnect power cord for 5 minutes
7. connect back everything this time using the display port

What I can add is that once you - or rather Sidekick_OSD's incompetence - has already broken Displayport identification it does not help to flash the same firmware again and again, you need to flash a different one.

So you can get Displayport back by going through these two steps - each time following eyejoy's rules:

1. Flash a different/earlier firmware
2. Flash the desired firmware

If you don't have a different one, you can use this (obviously forgotten to be deleted) one linked here:

fyi
F06 Firmware is out:
https://www.gigabyte.com/de/Monitor/AORUS-FV43U/support#support-dl-firmware

Update include:
1. Fixed the issue that monitor can't be awaken by HDMI input source.
2. Fixed the issue when switching refresh rate in 4K resolution.
3. Fixed HDR brightness issue.

Note : It needs to install OSD sidekick first to update firmware.
Thanks for highlighting

They have actually provided some changelog this time!

Just updated from F05 to F06 so will see if anything else is different and report back.

Reactions: panza
like this
Yeah i also went from 5 to 6. Not sure if i notice any differences but i did have to re save my quick switch preferences

well they didn't fix the toslink audio dropouts.

What is "type-c DSC" and should it be on or off with HDMI 2.1 from a 3090 and PS5?

well they didn't fix the toslink audio dropouts.

What is "type-c DSC" and should it be on or off with HDMI 2.1 from a 3090 and PS5?

DSC = display stream cmpression. If you are not usimg the type c input this prob doesnt affect you im any way.

does anyone notice some difference with latest update in terms of visual quality?
Also is there noticeable difference between HDMI 2.1 and DP 1.4 DSC?I only mean in terms of visual quality

does anyone notice some difference with latest update in terms of visual quality?
Also is there noticeable difference between HDMI 2.1 and DP 1.4 DSC?I only mean in terms of visual quality
No to both questions.

I noticed a difference in saturation straight away. HDMI had more colour. DP1.4 looked softer on 100% scaling reading text. Could be down to the 3m cables I'm using?

I noticed a difference in saturation straight away. HDMI had more colour. DP1.4 looked softer on 100% scaling reading text. Could be down to the 3m cables I'm using?
i really dont know. HDMI has much more bandwide so theoretically it should be have better colour but can check it really good.

also when using HDMI you cant use GSync, with HDMI you have VRR in Windows but also there i cant find a real difference

i really dont know. HDMI has much more bandwide so theoretically it should be have better colour but can check it really good.

also when using HDMI you cant use GSync, with HDMI you have VRR in Windows but also there i cant find a real difference
Could be that the monitor profile settings are slightly different for each input. Didn't really check , just switched back to HDMI after a few minutes of not liking DP

Could be that the monitor profile settings are slightly different for each input. Didn't really check , just switched back to HDMI after a few minutes of not liking DP
but why HDMI?Because of Sound support for HDMI

This monitor just went on sale and thinking of getting it. I currently have an ultrawide with a low resolution 2560x1080 which I mainly got for better game performance.

I'll probably only want to run games at 1080 as I prefer higher framerates.

How do games look when run on 1080p?
Will I need Integer Scaling, and does that display in full screen or is it just like a small window surrounded by black borders like no scaling?

How well does g-sync work, any issues with it?

This monitor just went on sale and thinking of getting it. I currently have an ultrawide with a low resolution 2560x1080 which I mainly got for better game performance.

Will I need Integer Scaling, and does that display in full screen or is it just like a small window surrounded by black borders like no scaling?

you cant play 1080p on this size, only if you sit far away 🤣 every resolution will be streched to fullscreen

Sorry but not even going to test this for you, its bound to look horrible.

If you want high fps don't look for 4k monitor and especially if you prioritise competitive high fps gaming don't get a 43" screen.

Also the scaling can be done on the GPU - for example through the Nvidia control panel. So even if a screen cannot scale and is 1:1 you can fix this through software.

1440p scaling is pretty decent on this. I usually use GpU scaling but I recently adjusted native res because Elden Eing stutter was driving me crazy and I was trying to turn off every gpu option to isolate it. I would use in game scaling options though they tend to be surprisingly good. Nvidia Image Scaling is available for all games and looks pretty good with a sharpness slider.

every resolution will be streched to fullscreen
That shouldn't happen if you set the option: Nvidia control panel --> Adjust desktop size & position --> "No Scaling", and additionally check the box next to "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs".

I can't check because I don't have this monitor, but if it does still scale - which I highly doubt, that would render the monitor mostly useless to me.
The point of 4k at this size to me is the flexibility of running any resolution (16:9 or UW) up to 4k unscaled, using 4k only for the OS and games that run fast. Effectively getting all monitor sizes and aspect ratios that exist below 43" in one, with fullscreen 4k as an additional option.
As I understand it, Nvidia's "No scaling" option sends to the monitor the lower resolution frames with black borders attached so that they are 4k size (or whatever size matches the native resolution of the panel) to ensure that the monitor cannot and will not upscale. Because monitors without scaling related OSD settings often upscale all the things smaller than native like a dumbass, and Nvidia have our backs in preventing that. I could be wrong, but this is how I think it works.

Last edited:
That shouldn't happen if you set the option: Nvidia control panel --> Adjust desktop size & position --> "No Scaling".
I can't check because I don't have this monitor, but if it does still scale - which I highly doubt, that would render the monitor mostly useless to me.
The point of 4k at this size to me is the flexibility of running any resolution (16:9 or UW) up to 4k unscaled, using 4k only for the OS and games that run fast.
That works; But realistically, how many people want to play a game where most of the screen is covered with black empty space while the center is a relatively small 1080P window. Personally that would drive me up the wall seeing those thick black borders around my screen in a game setting.

1080p 1:1 (or upscaled..) would be a bit ridiculous, yeah. Something like 3840x1600 though? Or 3440x1440 if that produces too low fps in a badly optimized game? No problem to me, I don't care about black bars at all. I think of it just as if I had a 3440x1440 monitor at that moment. I realize I'm not in the majority with that, but to me the bars just disappear when I start playing especially on a VA panel with good black levels.

If you can't run something higher than 3440x1440, then realistically if you were buying a monitor for that game, you would have to settle for a 34" anyway, so running it at 3440x1440 on a 43" 1:1 then gets you the exact same result, actually slightly bigger due to the slightly lower pixels/inch so you're not losing anything by doing it.

The black bars block whatever wall or room clutter would otherwise be in view, helping your eyes focus on the action. They're like a passepartout. Whereas a 34" monitor, your eyes would see past it. I don't get the hatred most people have for black bars. ;) It does feel bad to have to run a game at a smaller size when you're used to fullscreen, that I do understand. I've had that experience plenty of times. I still prefer a larger monitor over a smaller one because a larger one can do both while a smaller one could never display the larger image.

Last edited:
when I ran an 8k screen (55" samsung TV) I had to have 50% scale on most games to 4k. It really softened the image vs normal 4k, even at that resolution.

You do get used to it though. I think if given the option I'd like to run older games at 4k and newer games at a lower res than be forced to play everything at a lower res.

Reactions: Roen
like this
Back