GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U 43 inch 4k 144 HDR1000 QLED monitor

I don't use HDMI on this screen so cannot comment if F05 has broken it for me. Updated whilst on DP and no issues, update took about 10 mins.

Seems like F05 has improved the volume? (don't often use the speakers but before they didn't have any change bellow volume 10 and where very loud)

Not noticed anything else
for DP i have the issue that it detects in OSD wrong resolution while in Windows its the right. So changing Resolution or switch to Hdr took around more than 10 seconds. Because of that i had switched to HDMI

Attachments

• IMG_20211104_114225.jpg
    IMG_20211104_114225.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 0
Noticed that today, annoying how they post no changelog... unless i am blind?

Going to install now.
They've never posted changelogs, at least for this monitor. Very frustrating because it's left to the users to install it and find the differences. I no longer have mine hooked up to the PC so I can't report back for now.

Just a heads up for anyone updating to F05. May not be related but it was awkward to get variable refresh working again, had to disable it and enable it with Nvidia control panel and in the OSD of the screen a few times then it started working.

Will report as on but was not actually on.

is everybody using the cable which were included?I mean DP or HDMI?Or are you using other company cable?

for DP i have the issue that it detects in OSD wrong resolution while in Windows its the right. So changing Resolution or switch to Hdr took around more than 10 seconds. Because of that i had switched to HDMI

I believe the wrong scaling options can cause this? Have you checked these settings? Ensure the correct resolution and refresh rate is applied and aspect ration scaling is performed on the display. (picture bellow)

HDMI caps you to 120hz? DP would be better for you.

1640547265120.png

Also i have noticed that F05 seems to have dramatically improved text clarity.

Before at 100% windows desktop scaling certain words on certain backgrounds would have a strange colour. Now can not see that at all.

Anyone else notice anything?

All of the 43" panels I know of cap your framerate/refresh at 120Hz, unless you are using DUAL DP cables. Then you can go to 144Hz on some models. However, you do lose G-Sync/FreeSync capability when you do that. That's how my Acer Predator CG437K works. The ASUS doesn't support that function at all I don't think. I don't know about the GIGABYTE, but the panel specs sound identical to that of the Acer.

All of the 43" panels I know of cap your framerate/refresh at 120Hz, unless you are using DUAL DP cables.

This panel supports 144hz 10bit color over asingle DP while maintaining freesync thanks to DSC.

I believe the wrong scaling options can cause this? Have you checked these settings? Ensure the correct resolution and refresh rate is applied and aspect ration scaling is performed on the display. (picture bellow)

HDMI caps you to 120hz? DP would be better for you.

View attachment 425522

Also i have noticed that F05 seems to have dramatically improved text clarity.

Before at 100% windows desktop scaling certain words on certain backgrounds would have a strange colour. Now can not see that at all.

Anyone else notice anything?
Yes, all good here with the scaling and also HDMI works at 144hz at 4k and HDR no Problem. Its using RGB 10bit then.
Really dont know what causes this problem. For now i am using F04

I just installed F05 and I think the KVM switches a bit quicker. Not sure about anything else yet but I will post back If I do.

F04 has audio drop-outs via the optical out.

F05 broke HDMI 2.1 for me. I have a dual boot system and it goes black screen on the OS selector menu. Removing the power sometimes allows it to come on, but most it doesn't.

Works once I turn it to HDMI 2.0.

DP1.4 works at 4k 144hz 10bit but with a slight fuzziness due to DSC

Reactions: Michi
like this
Whatever fuzziness issues you are experiencing, it's unrelated to DSC. DSC is visually lossless and in no way visually perceivable
It's like going from 4:2:0 to RGB. It's a shift of clarity on 100% scaled text. A bit weird if it's lossless as I noticed it straight away.

Hello,

I'm using FV43U (F02) with PS5.

I can't understand why can't get signal
4K@120Hz YUV422
when both HDR and Deep Color Output off (so it should be a 8-bit color signal).

i always get signal:
4K@120Hz YUV420

FV43U HDMI 2.1 is limited to 24Gbps but a 4K@120Hz 8bit YUV422 SDR signal is bellow that.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

BTW, is there any changelog about FV43U firmware ?

Greetings

Hello,

I'm using FV43U (F02) with PS5.

I can't understand why can't get signal
4K@120Hz YUV422
when both HDR and Deep Color Output off (so it should be a 8-bit color signal).

i always get signal:
4K@120Hz YUV420

FV43U HDMI 2.1 is limited to 24Gbps but a 4K@120Hz 8bit YUV422 SDR signal is bellow that.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

BTW, is there any changelog about FV43U firmware ?

Greetings
there are never a changelog. Really sad for such an expensive monitor. Also i have collect some problems here and on reddit about this monitor and the firmware (with Screenshots) and passed them to Gigabyte customer support and wrote everything down. They really answered "which GPU do you have?Did you tried previous display driver versions?"
really?I have wrote down my GPU, what i have checked : uninstall GPU driver with DDU, checked with another cable etc and that was the only answer i got 🤣
The problem on PC with HDMI 2.1 not working after update to F05 had much persons woth different hardware

there are never a changelog. Really sad for such an expensive monitor. Also i have collect some problems here and on reddit about this monitor and the firmware (with Screenshots) and passed them to Gigabyte customer support and wrote everything down. They really answered "which GPU do you have?Did you tried previous display driver versions?"
really?I have wrote down my GPU, what i have checked : uninstall GPU driver with DDU, checked with another cable etc and that was the only answer i got 🤣
The problem on PC with HDMI 2.1 not working after update to F05 had much persons woth different hardware

I didnt' have that HDMI problem with F05 so it makes sense to ask about your configuration, but in general if you already told them then thats dumb for them to ask again :p

I didnt' have that HDMI problem with F05 so it makes sense to ask about your configuration, but in general if you already told them then thats dumb for them to ask again :p
you've got a HDMI 2.1 graphics card? Otherwise its using HDMI 2.0 and thats working for me, only HDMI 2.1 is not working

you've got a HDMI 2.1 graphics card? Otherwise its using HDMI 2.0 and thats working for me, only HDMI 2.1 is not working

I do but i realize i had not tested it on it but instead on my laptop which you are correct is 2.0. I tried it just now on my 3090 and interestingly enough i do get signal out on the hdmi even with it set to 2.1 in the OSD but for some reason I was locked to 60 HZ even in the NV CP.
Put it back to my laptop and i get 4K 120hz..... strange got signal no issue running it as 2.0 and 2.1 but was locked to 60hz on the 3090. I might have to try it with my 3070 for comparison.

Hey all, been along time since I been here. I got this monitor Xmas from Amazon and swapped it (1st one had problems). The 1st one had some black lite bleed off to the right which you could see. HDMI at 144 it did not like it (Windows 11/10) it did like 120 yet would go black on off so many times (HDMI). 2nd monitor.. not one problem HDMI 144 tested it many times. Firmware what they told me was you don't need to update unless you have a problem.. duh I think we all know that haha. 1st one updated to F03 I then tried f05 yet wow would not work one point said I had F02 then F00 but then I did get it to work. Guessing it fixed the volume? New one no black like bleed I think? I cranked all and I think theres some towards the left.. maybe? haha. 2nd one is F02 and volume at 1 is loud but that is the only issue I have. Now I am guessing under NVIDIA control you get 8/10/12 bit? Yeah shows 12 bit. Again this is with HDMI their cable. Just plugged in DP and only shows 10/bit no clue why.

So I just use HDMI since everything works 144.. even if at 120 not sure ME would see a diff. Oh I am NOT going to update the firmware. I now see so many were having the same kind of problems. What gets me is HDMI 1st only 120.. 2nd on 144 easy never even blinks..same cable. Yes I am sure on XBOX or PS5 it would only do 120. For me I like this one ALLOT! Have friends with OLED LG BIG been about 2 months and they are getting burn in. Not all but in my world the ones that have it do.. that turned me off to it. TV is one thing but monitor.. I am fine with this. If I could say one thing for this price NEVER settle for ANY black lite bleed. .. and this is GIGABYTE.. I didn't expect allot lol

To everyone who is having trouble updating the firmware I have no suggestions.

However i do highly recommend you run F05, the text clarity has hugely improved when at 100% windows desktop scaling.

Also it fixes the volume.

Not sure what else......

I'd suggest contacting gigabyte e-support directly with your problems.

I have been looking at large monitors lately and this one has been on my radar, also the ROG SWIFT. Still however considering a LG C1...

Mostly for gaming but also need to be able to do some work on it as well. Mostly web based stuff with Word, power Point and Excel as well as some photo editing.

I just registered the monitor to Aorus website to find out it has only 1 year of warranty.
Did not check during purchase to be honest but I am not happy at all with that.
Product bought in Europe.
Yeah mine says the same thing so I asked and this is what they said "Aorus FV43U Gaming monitor carries an 3 year warranty"

To everyone who is having trouble updating the firmware I have no suggestions.

However i do highly recommend you run F05, the text clarity has hugely improved when at 100% windows desktop scaling.

Also it fixes the volume.

Not sure what else......

I'd suggest contacting gigabyte e-support directly with your problems.
i have written many times with the support, past them many Screenshot from here, reddit and other forums and they really dont care 🤣🤣
i past them more than 20 pictures and they said : we need more confirmations about this problems

I'm now confused if we should enable YCC 4:2:2 or not on Xbox Seriex X. I've had it unchecked/disabled this entire time, as I thought it would provide the best picture quality, but then I saw this video by Vincent:

When connected to a Series X via HDMI, can the FV43U display 4K 120Hz 10bit 4:4:4 using DSC? Should we allow YCC 4:2:2?

I am looking at this or maybe an Asus variant of a 43" 4k with 144hz to replace my Alienware 34" ultrawide... I really miss my 40" 4k Samsung ju6700 for RPG types... 43" is about the largest I can plant on my desk without a major re-org or wall mount. The reviews for both of them seem all over the map though... I have been skimming this thread and it feels the same as the reviews I was reading on amazon.. well, a bit.. and then I read g-sync is not officially supported on this display but it works for some people? Is that the case? I play a ton of Apex so want that gsync and 144hz combo working. Maybe should hold out for a 42" OLED?

I had to change the monitor for another one because it had dead pixel and it went well, I installed version f05 and no problems connecting hdm or display port, only 12 bits option appears, is it possible on this monitor?

I got the FV43 a couple of weeks ago but I've been fighting with gamma issues since then, especially in HDR. In HDR colors are very washed out and I can't get a proper image using any nvidia control panel tweaks or profiles. The image looks good in SDR if I pull down gamma to 0.7 in Nvidia Desktop Color Settings, but I still have pretty severe issues with gamma test images, see below.

I have an LG C7 OLED hooked up to the same graphics card (through HDMI, but switching between DP and HDMI on FV43 does not seem to make a difference. I can run 12 bpc in RGB).

These are the reference images I'm using, displayed on the C7. From left to right:
Enabling HDR on the C7 OLED just makes the image pop more and with 0.9 gamma in Nvidia Desktop Color Settings the test images still line up

hdr-c7oled-09gamma-smaller.jpg

-------

Now for the Aorus FV43

SDR, no adjustments in nvidia control panel
  • Lagom.nl's 48% only match at the very top, and 25% and 10% are still completely off
  • GMS.com test image is completely off
  • Eizo's test image shows gamma is closer to 1.6
sdr-fv43-1gamma-small.jpg

-------

Same SDR but 0.7 gamma in Nvidia Desktop Color Settings.
  • Lagom.nl's 48% gamma curves are now OK but 25% and 10% are still completely off (A curve-based gamma adjustment is probably necessary).
  • GMS.com test image is still completely off
  • Eizo's test image is OK
sdr-fv43-07gamma-small.jpg

-------

Now for HDR. Unlike the C7 OLED, enabling this throws a grey wash over the whole desktop. Blacks are elevated and colors lose a lot of saturation.
  • Lagom.nl's gamma curves no longer match at all (and adjusting in Nvidia Desktop Color Settings still won't make the it match anywhere along the horizontal axis!)
  • Eizo's test image won't match anywhere either

hdr-fv43-1gamma-smaller.jpg

I've been trying to fix this for weeks but I'm getting nowhere. I hope to be able to visit a store this week to compare with their in-store display unit (though I'd rather not, with the pandemic and all...)

Last edited:
I got the FV43 a couple of weeks ago but I've been fighting with gamma issues since then, especially in HDR. In HDR colors are very washed out and I can't get a proper image using any nvidia control panel tweaks or profiles. The image looks good in SDR if I pull down gamma to 0.7 in Nvidia Desktop Color Settings, but I still have pretty severe issues with gamma test images, see below.

I have an LG C7 OLED hooked up to the same graphics card (through HDMI, but switching between DP and HDMI on FV43 does not seem to make a difference. I can run 12 bpc in RGB).

These are the reference images I'm using, displayed on the C7. From left to right:
Enabling HDR on the C7 OLED just makes the image pop more and with 0.9 gamma in Nvidia Desktop Color Settings the test images still line up

View attachment 435917

-------

Now for the Aorus FV43

• Lagom.nl's 48% only match at the very top, and 25% and 10% are still completely off
View attachment 435909

-------

• Lagom.nl's 48% gamma curves are now OK but 25% and 10% are still completely off (A curve-based gamma adjustment is probably necessary).
View attachment 435910

-------

Now for HDR. Unlike the C7 OLED, enabling this throws a grey wash over the whole desktop. Blacks are elevated and colors lose a lot of saturation.
  • Lagom.nl's gamma curves no longer match at all (and adjusting in Nvidia Desktop Color Settings still won't make the it match anywhere along the horizontal axis!)

View attachment 435913

I've been trying to fix this for weeks but I'm getting nowhere. I hope to be able to visit a store this week to compare with their in-store display unit (though I'd rather not, with the pandemic and all...)
HDR on Windows is broken. When you are on you Desktop you cant get a "real" HDR picture. I dont know if Windows 11 is different but on Windows 10 its broken. Also in most games HDR is looking not really good.
But i tested a real HDR 1000 Video on Youtube with HDR enabled in Windows and it looks amazing

View attachment 435917

-------

Now for the Aorus FV43

View attachment 435909

-------

View attachment 435910

-------

View attachment 435913

You won't get Lagom's gamma tests to show the actual gamma on the FV43U. The pixel row interference issue that I'm sure this thread got sick of me for completely gets in the way of its accuracy, especially on 25% and 10%. It is impossible for the monitor to display it right, even if the gamma is theoretically correct elsewhere.

You won't get Lagom's gamma tests to show the actual gamma on the FV43U. The pixel row interference issue that I'm sure this thread got sick of me for completely gets in the way of its accuracy, especially on 25% and 10%. It is impossible for the monitor to display it right, even if the gamma is theoretically correct elsewhere.
Ah, that makes sense. I still find it odd I need to make such a big gamma correction in Nvidia Desktop Color Settings to make the image look "correct" and match my two other displays in desktop and games, seeing as this screen gets a lot of praise regarding its OOB performance.

That's a pain though, means I can't just pull up those test images on the display unit in store.

HDR on Windows is broken. When you are on you Desktop you cant get a "real" HDR picture. I dont know if Windows 11 is different but on Windows 10 its broken. Also in most games HDR is looking not really good.
But i tested a real HDR 1000 Video on Youtube with HDR enabled in Windows and it looks amazing
Windows 11 brings big improvements here, and regardless, HDR on both desktop and in games (such as Final Fantasy XIV, using Windows 11 "auto HDR" feature) look great on the LG OLED but are nearly unsalvageable on the FV43. Perhaps something is wrong with my unit?

Also, is anyone else experiencing horizontal streaks? (Hardforum window on Discord window)

Also, is anyone else experiencing horizontal streaks? (Hardforum window on Discord window)

View attachment 436001
What the hell, yeah with that colour behind the browser window, exactly the same. Horizontal bands stretching across from the black sections of the window.

Actually any colour, most easy to see on greys.

Not noticed this before however my use case is almost entirely gaming.

Also Jickelsen in the NVidia control panel do you have the colour accuracy mode set to "reference"

Something i noticed early on with this display is with windows poor hdr implementation i would have to toggle this on and off quite a lot to stop the desktop looking washed out.

Not really re visited this recently since moving to windows 11 and F05 firmware as i got quite bored of constantly messing around. I'll see if it still has a big game to game difference still.

What the hell, yeah with that colour behind the browser window, exactly the same. Horizontal bands stretching across from the black sections of the window.

Actually any colour, most easy to see on greys.

Not noticed this before however my use case is almost entirely gaming.
Hmm. I tried this just now and I don't have that behavior. I use Word with a grey background and moved hardforum window up and down against the grey background.

Back