GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U 43 inch 4k 144 HDR1000 QLED monitor

Hi,

Yes, latest firmware update, is able to run 10 bit RGB with 60hz but as soon as I change it to any HZ, any number, it disables such options and picks ycbcr. Also yeah the blacks looked just terrible with and without HDR. Just terrible, terrible. Like if I didn't mention before, my TN monitor looked WAY better from all sides, no matter the distance. I have to return it yes but they are refusing to pick it up and would take 1+ month before they can repair it and send me a new one. The uniformity looked bad as well. 20-30% right side of the screen looked very white, bright while the other side looked grey. I worked on it for hours and hours It just really looked like a 200 eur monitor where all the money went into making the monitor bigger and nothing else. Like out of the box already it looked terrible compared to my TN but idk.

Also did I mention it has a bug inside?
unknown.png

unknown.png

Damn, I feel sorry for the return policy you have to deal with!

Anyone else finding that it's almost mandatory to have two settings for the monitor: one for day and one for night. At night I feel like my eyes are retinas are being burned out if I lower the brightness like crazy.

I know this isn't exactly novel, like I do this with my laptop screen regularly, but for some reason on other desktop panels I've never really had this problem (could find a good middle ground).

Damn, I feel sorry for the return policy you have to deal with!
Hi,

OH, I can explain a few burdens.

Company told UPS to send me this message to print the shipping label sent by them on the box which had Omniva carrier symbols which is a different carrier.

So I called Omniva and asked if I need to return the package to them and they said no.

I called DHL and they said the package doesn't belong to them.

I called DHL Express and they said it doesn't belong to them.

I called Itella, UPS etc.

Eventually I called Omniva again and the 2nd worked who picked up the phone said it's theirs.

I asked if it can be shipped out today then I can bring it to them(They said yes). I couldn't send it myself so I asked my mom although she was extremely busy but still managed to send me there meanwhile both of us being sick but I wanted it to get sent out so badly tonight so we went to the postal office today.

Upon arrival there, the other worker now said they'll send it out next week and not tonight...

She also almost broke the monitor 10 times, the person registering the package. She was handling it like it cost 20 euros.

Fortunately if the workers at the retailer sees it's actually a bug, they won't send it to Gigabyte for 4-6+ weeks so I can expect this monitor back in maybe 2 weeks or so...

BUT, just like with Blizzard, I won't support a company who doesn't give a crap about their consumers, so if I happen to receive a 2nd broken monitor, I'll never buy a single product of theirs again. I do not support companies taking advantage of the lower % getting endless amount of issues. Spitting on the quality control. So hopefully I'll get a working one the 2nd time and if not I'll wait a few years for another company to come out with a better monitor.

If you all put up with this constant abuse, manipulation from different companies then obviously nothing is ever going to change. Basically I blame myself and majority of the people for putting up with this crap. Otherwise they wouldn't do us like that.

Last edited:
Anyone else finding that it's almost mandatory to have two settings for the monitor: one for day and one for night. At night I feel like my eyes are retinas are being burned out if I lower the brightness like crazy.

I know this isn't exactly novel, like I do this with my laptop screen regularly, but for some reason on other desktop panels I've never really had this problem (could find a good middle ground).
I found this initially because I wasn't used to the size having come from a measly 24". There's considerably more panel space to fire photons into your eyeballs at 43" so the same level of brightness per area I was used to was suddenly too bright in a darker environment.

Many nights I had to lower the brightness as my eyes were suffering.
I don't remember having something similar with all my monitors even after hours and hours of use.
This is my first real HDR monitor though, and I believe this burning sensation is caused by HDR as in SDR mode I don't have the same problems.

I end up Using HDR game preset with 35 brightness and it feels much better.

I use a set of ambient backlight from here. It's not really visible in the day but it's bright enough in the evening when the room light is low so the monitor doesn't seems too brighte.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W4FWP5Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Does anybody knows how hot this unit gets? I measured mine with infrared thermometer and it shows around 40'c at the screen and 50'c around upper back panel, is this normal or i need to be woried?

Does anybody knows how hot this unit gets? I measured mine with infrared thermometer and it shows around 40'c at the screen and 50'c around upper back panel, is this normal or i need to be woried?
Did you update the firmware? The initial F01 mine came with made the whole thing get pretty hot. Upgrading to F04 Beta (now F04) fixed that somehow with nowhere near as much heat coming of it.

Some heat is to be expected if you're running it in HDR mode though.

Did you update the firmware? The initial F01 mine came with made the whole thing get pretty hot. Upgrading to F04 Beta (now F04) fixed that somehow with nowhere near as much heat coming of it.

Some heat is to be expected if you're running it in HDR mode though.
Yes am on f04(not beta) and i get around 40'c on hdr1000 using xbox series x

Probably to be expected then. 40 isn't all that high and certainly not terrible for a monitor that gets this bright.

Hey Guys, What could cause these monitor to REFUSE to show an input that is Obviously being output as you can see it in "surround mode"

i have 3x in Surround mode but sometimes a monitor(random at times) will refuse to show the input selected. Simply says "no input" and sometimes requiring a reboot to get the screens back

power cycling with remote can sometimes help, but not always and acts strange in general. Tried a few of the latest Drivers from Nvidia and Yes ive upgraded the FW to 04.

Connections are DP to DP on all 3. I have a 4th monitor up top, but thats a standard 27" 1080p, nothing fancy

Every day it seems i find something new or a problem pops up. :(

I just registered the monitor to Aorus website to find out it has only 1 year of warranty.
Did not check during purchase to be honest but I am not happy at all with that.
Product bought in Europe.

I've got FV43U over a month and i want to share with you my thoughts.

Overall it's good, large monitor with very high contrast ratio and HDR but here are cons which i've found:
1) BGR :( It's a shame it isn't classic RGB :/
Ok in windows after clear type calibration it's not bad but in many applications it's a problem (ie. Visual Studio)
2) Motion clarity at 4K 60 Hz - for VA it's not very bad but it isn't also great.
At 144 Hz it's ok but at 60 Hz i see smearing or overshoot (depending on overdrive settings) and everything is blurry when whole screen is moving like in isometric games, ie. Diablo 2 Resurrected.

I'm still waiting for a professional full review but that's what i found after extended use.
Even with this flaws it's still the best what i can get at 40-43" (don't want OLED right now) and the build in KVM is very handy for me :)

1) BGR :( It's a shame it isn't classic RGB :/
Ok in windows after clear type calibration it's not bad but in many applications it's a problem (ie. Visual Studio)

How far away are you sitting?

I use 43" 4k screens that were BGR when I had one in landscape.

They are both in portrait now which end up being, respectively on two:

BBBBBBBBBBB .... RRRRRRRRR
GGGGGGGGGG .... GGGGGGGGG
RRRRRRRRRR .... BBBBBBBBBB

And I have zero problems at my viewing distance because its beyond 60PPD.

However remember that with TVs - you get tearing on text unless you absolutely make sure you are set to PC mode in the hdmi/PC input's settings so you get RGB. (I've had mine switch back after firmware updates a few times)

=================================================================

Pixel density as is perceived by your eyes is relative to viewing distance. Even with a 42" OLED you'd have to sit pretty far away to be at a proper viewing distance.

You have to sit to where the 20/20 vision threshold starts at 60PPD or beyond on any screen or you will have more jumbo pixels and subpixels. People try to use different kinds of cleartype alternatives and more aggressive AA in games (with a performance hit) but it won't ever be as good as sitting at an appropriate distance. I suspect a lot of people aren't sitting far enough away from larger screens which exacerbates text fringing and graphics/pixel aliasing as well as pushing the HUD elements far into the periphery.

For the 48" 4k CX, the 60PPD ~ 20/20 vision threshold starts at 33.5" .. and starts at 1.5' away for 27" 4k. At those two distances the screens will look the same (60 PPD).
If you sit ~48" away from a 48" 4k screen you get into the 20/15 range though and require very little AA. You can even get away w/o AA for the most part if you wanted to.

==========================================

48" 4k at 33" or less viewing distance:
59.3 ppd is below 20/20 vision; most everyone can see individual pixels. You likely need strong anti-aliasing to hide artifacts.
= jumbo pixels to your eyes, bad text fringing
-------------------------------
48" 4k at 33.5" viewing distance:
60 ppd is above the 20/20 vision threshold of 60 ppd, but below the average vision of ~20/15. You likely need moderate anti-aliasing.
= moderate aliasing that can be more or less compensated for with AA (usually at the cost of some frame rate loss) and sub-sampling on text
-----------------------------------
48" 4k at 47"+ viewing distance:
Anti-aliasing is only necessary in medium- and high-contrast areas.
----------------------------------

I typically sit 38" to 48" away. If I find I'm not looking at my HUD enough to my detriment in some games I'll kick back to near 48"
When you sit around the same distance away as the monitor's diagonal measurement you are making a more or less equilateral triangle out of your viewing angle and the screen width. Any closer it's a squashed fat triangle (or pyramid) with a more extreme angle to view the corners which can affect how easily you can view your HUD elements.

==========================================

Viewing distances in regard to a 43" 4k come out to:

-- Less than 30" viewing distance = below 20/20 vision; most everyone can see individual pixels. You likely need strong anti-aliasing to hide artifacts.
= jumbo pixels to your eyes, bad text fringing

-- 30" + viewing distance = 60 ppd is above the 20/20 vision threshold of 60 ppd, but below the average vision of ~20/15. You likely need moderate anti-aliasing
= moderate aliasing that can be more or less compensated for with AA (usually at the cost of some frame rate loss) and sub-sampling on text

-- 42"+ viewing distance = 80 ppd is moderate, slightly above the average visual acuity; few can see individual pixels. Anti-aliasing is only necessary in medium- and high-contrast areas.

==================================

For a 42" 4k the viewing distances are:

--- ~ 29" or less viewing distance = lower than 60 PPD, below 20/20 vision; most everyone can see individual pixels. You likely need strong anti-aliasing to hide artifacts.
= jumbo pixels to your eyes, aliased graphics, bad text fringing

--- Over 29" viewing distance = above the 20/20 vision threshold of 60 ppd, but below the average vision of ~20/15. You likely need moderate anti-aliasing.

--- ~ 41" viewing distance = 80 PPD which is is moderate, slightly above the average visual acuity; few can see individual pixels. Anti-aliasing only necessary in medium- and high-contrast areas.

==================================

27" 4k :

18" and less = less than 60PPD, below 20/20 vision threshold, bad graphics aliasing and text fringing

19"+ = 60PPD+ , above the 20/20 vision threshold, need moderate AA, text subsampling

26.5"+ = 80PPD+ ,above the 20/15 visual acuity threshold, few can see individual pixels, AA only necessary in medium and high contrast areas.

elvn - you're right but i'm sitting in a good distance, my eyes are about 80 cm from screen so little over 30" and i use 125% Windows scaling.
The problem really is BGR and slow response time of dark pixels in 60 Hz. Not every program use windows clear type, and especially games don't use it. One big example in games is Eve Online with tons of small text everywhere - it's hard to read.
The second problem is blurry moving objects - it's just the response time of pixels which isn't great in 60 Hz at 4K.

As i said before i still keep it because i don't want oled and FV43U for now is the best i can have. It's just a little sad that it isn't RGB and a little faster in transitions of dark pixels :)

Ps. What i wanted you to know is that this screen isn't great for fast shooters like i heard in one review on YT so don't expect it to be miracle in every aspect. It just isn't - my FHD IPS 280 Hz is superior to this one in Apex Legends.
I was just curious before i bought FV43U if i can have just one screen for everything i do: work, slow paces games, console games, simulators and fast games like Apex Legends but it seems it's impossible, maybe OLED can do that someday :)

Last edited:
Interesting.

Well in my experience with 43" 4k u6900 VA screens in desktop/apps, BGR doesn't matter as long as I'm certain that:
-the input is on PC mode (= rgb, or it the text will look torn otherwise which is noticeable immediately)
-I'm using text subsampling
-I'm not scaling text smaller physically than the screen's ppi can handle clearly. Not just in windows scaling but in each individual app since most of mine have their own text scaling / font options. Distance in regard to PPD will eliminate text fringing from sitting too close but the overall resolution is a grid and if you go smaller than the grid can handle your text will look like shit.

It doesn't even matter that I have each of my two u6900's in portrait mode or that each is spun the opposite end up compared to the other. The text looks fine. I'm sitting a good distance away though (38" - 48" away from it and the 48" oled next to it.)

Not every program use windows clear type, and especially games don't use it.
Games can have anti aliasing turned on so the text (vs fringing/aliasing) can look even better than the desktop potentially. You can't enable AA on the windows desktop because it's not in 3d mode so you have to use sub-sampling. That is, unless your screen resolution/PPD were very high ~ 20/15 threshold or higher where AA isn't necessary as much. As a rule of thumb, you can hit 20/15 by sitting as far away as your screen's diagonal measurement, in this case over 42" away from screen to eyeballs. Otherwise 20/15 will probably be more common in 8k resolution for nearer screen size vs view distances.

So, ruling out any viewing layout, system and device configuration settings issue, maybe it's something particular to this GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U 43 inch's specific subpixel layout or screen coating, or both.

Last edited:
The problem really is BGR and slow response time of dark pixels in 60 Hz. Not every program use windows clear type, and especially games don't use it. One big example in games is Eve Online with tons of small text everywhere - it's hard to read.
In theory BGR will only affect text clarity if that text is using subpixel rendering tuned for RGB. I don't know how many games force that, given RGB isn't universal. Simple anti-aliased text without the colours (or even pixelated aliased text) shouldn't be detrimentally affected by BGR subpixel layout at all.

Maybe it's also that problem with darker pixels on top of white ones in text on black background like someone described in this thread.

Maybe it's also that problem with darker pixels on top of white ones in text on black background like someone described in this thread.
That was me, documented from page 16 of this thread onwards.

It also works for light pixels above darker ones, heavily affecting anti aliased dark text on a white background - obviously a super common thing. Essentially every row of pixels interferes with the row below, it's just that some situations flag it up better (or worse!) than others, and it's worse towards the top of the panel.

It bugged me so much in everyday use I replaced the FV43U with a QN94A.

That was me, documented from page 16 of this thread onwards.

It also works for light pixels above darker ones, heavily affecting anti aliased dark text on a white background - obviously a super common thing. Essentially every row of pixels interferes with the row below, it's just that some situations flag it up better (or worse!) than others, and it's worse towards the top of the panel.

It bugged me so much in everyday use I replaced the FV43U with a QN94A.
This is how it looks on my screen and it's also visible in some games with small text like Eve Online.
It's with 125% windows scaling but displayed as smaller image (50% zoom)

FV43U_SmallText.jpg

Reactions: elvn
like this
Definitely visible on the right hand side if the test. All grey lines and text should be the same shade.

Here is that test pattern on the QN94A.

20211008_132457.jpg

Definitely visible on the right hand side if the test. All grey lines and text should be the same shade.

Here is that test pattern on the QN94A.

View attachment 401377
Yeah it's perfectly fine on QN94A. So it seems FV43U has some serius problem with such patterns which is very weird ...
I hope Gigabyte will fix this if it can be fixe by software :)
So yeah it isn't BGR as much as this problem above in our posts and it affects also games as it's visible on just plain .png picture.

Reactions: elvn
like this
I hope Gigabyte will fix this if it can be fixe by software :)
I hoped the same, I'd still be using the FV if it wasn't for this flaw.

I tried reporting it to Gigabyte. A few boilerplate replies and a couple of months later I got this...
After checking with the relevant parties, we are sorry to tell it is the hardware limitation that the product does have not a good performance in relativity far distance and lower frequency text using. However, the AORUS FV43U Gaming monitor stresses a better performance in color and picture's contract. When users use the monitor to watch movies and/or playing games, there's no vague that especially caused by the BGR subpixel.
About the issue, we suggest you use the "clear type" and set the Windows text size to 150%, sharpness to 3 to optimize.

Other people in this thread also saw it happening on the equivalent ASUS and Acer 43" monitors.

The conclusion I had to come to was it's an unfixable hardware fault. Possibly the board that sends the voltages to the individual pixels, I doubt it's the physical panel itself.

I tried reporting it to Gigabyte. A few boilerplate replies and a couple of months later I got this...

Other people in this thread also saw it happening on the equivalent ASUS and Acer 43" monitors.

The conclusion I had to come to was it's an unfixable hardware fault. Possibly the board that sends the voltages to the individual pixels, I doubt it's the physical panel itself.
What settings did you use in your examples?
I've realized it's very dependent on Black Equalized settings. I did my test at 5 and i know 10 is neutral. I'm using 5 for work to lower average brightness :)
Here's the same with setting 10. It's much less noticable :) Did you tried this?
Also the Gaming > Super Resolution and Picture > Sharpness changes it a little but to the worse side as far as i see.

Attachments

• FV43U_SmallText_BlackEqualizer10.jpg
    FV43U_SmallText_BlackEqualizer10.jpg
    810.7 KB · Views: 0
I tried many combinations of settings but nothing was satisfactory. I tried the Black Equalizer thing but it tended to just hide it for lights and exaggerate for darks, or vice versa. It also crushes lights and darks on anything beyond neutral. It's a lot better to just lower the backlight via the main brightness setting to drop the average in a work environment (I had to do the same).

I don't like anything to do with sharpness as it creates ringing and fringing around pretty much everything. Artificially softening (as per Gigabyte's support suggestion) is also an awful solution.

Once you know what you're looking for with this flaw, you can also see it affects the monitor's OSD. That means it's hardware side and there's nothing you can do to the incoming signal to get rid of it.

I am getting the exact same response :( taken weeks to get 2 replies, terrible.

Is there anything that is comparable?? I really want 144hz, 4k and 43 inch (ish). HDR would be nice now I have had it....USBC input is awesome because I can switch between work laptop and gaming desktop....
OLED will be a no go because I use it for work and I don't want the burn in

Nothing ticks all the boxes - it is SO frustrating

Cam

I am getting the exact same response :( taken weeks to get 2 replies, terrible.

Is there anything that is comparable?? I really want 144hz, 4k and 43 inch (ish). HDR would be nice now I have had it....USBC input is awesome because I can switch between work laptop and gaming desktop....
OLED will be a no go because I use it for work and I don't want the burn in

Nothing ticks all the boxes - it is SO frustrating

Cam
After discovering at least two other 43" monitors from different manufacturers have the same flaw (presumably they all use the same panel supplier), I was reluctant to try another currently available 43" in case it was just a repeat of this nonsense.

My argument has always been that a monitor should be capable of showing you the incoming signal as-is with no modification. The FV43U is incapable of that no matter the settings. Gigabyte (and one or two people on here and elsewhere) have defended the monitor endlessly saying that it's marketed towards gaming and I should just suck it up and live with the flaw for general use and work. It IS great for gaming no doubt - you can't see the flaw in games outside of extremely specific scenarios (text mainly) and you'd usually have to be actively looking for it.

One comment earlier in this thread mentioned that the effect of the flaw on text is headache inducing for them. I completely understand that if you're expecting what other panels are capable of.

I do CAD work and it was rearing its ugly head on thin lines all the time.

I know it's not for everyone because of the further size issue and lack of colour space clamping but the 50" QN94A (QN90A in the US) has been overall so much better for my use. Like you I have avoided OLED for the same reason.

My only other suggestion is more waiting for superior products. Nothing is perfect but each generation should improve something.

QN94A has two major problems:
1) Size (50" is way too much)
2) Only one HDMI 2.1, other 3 are HDMI 2.0
Unfortunately we all have to wait for a better monitors/TV in size 40-43" (this is perfect for me)

QN94A has two major problems:
1) Size (50" is way too much)
2) Only one HDMI 2.1, other 3 are HDMI 2.0
Unfortunately we all have to wait for a better monitors/TV in size 40-43" (this is perfect for me)
Yeah, it's not for everyone like I said. I didn't think I could do 50" but I've made it work and I actually really like it. Completely understand why others wouldn't go this route though, I was very hesitant myself. Had the 43" version been spec'd the same I would have bought that one instead but it's 60Hz, no VRR. Wasted potential.

The HDMI thing isn't currently a problem for me as the PS5 is the only device I have that can take advantage of HDMI 2.1 with my old GPU being 2.0. When I finally get round to upgrading my GPU (via buying a whole new PC, way overdue) I'll get a switch box.

Best of luck to all who are still frustrated in their wait though. I'm in the same place with GPUs in a sense. I'm not willing to pay current prices and crypto mining isn't showing any signs of pissing off.

I'm amazed they consider the text clarity good overall. No reviewer has ever commented on the pixel interference issue and how it badly affects text. Guess they just can't see it and/or have never noticed it which blows my mind. I don't miss it as my primary at all, it was doing my head in. And I still stand by my past comments that BGR text issues are way overblown. It only means anything detrimentally if you're using subpixel rendering in RGB-tuned mode. Just flip it, or don't use it.

Looks like the sides being darker is universal too. It shows up as bad yellow tinting with general content on mine.

I still enjoy the FV for console gaming but since grabbing a 50" QN94A for PC use that's all it's been doing.

Yeah and also something I noted with my impressions way back in this thread is how bad it’s grey uniformity is. You can clearly see giant vertical bands on their samples test images.

Good news at least is pixel response is really respectable at max refresh rate. It’s leaps and bounds faster than the XG43UQ or PG43UQ.

And at least they're confirming the direct backlight. The number of people I've seen arguing it's edge-lit is baffling.

I'd say the first sentence in their verdict
The Gigabyte FV43U is a great gaming monitor, but there are a few flaws.
sums it up rather well for me.

So, basically still the best 43" around.
Which is a pretty low bar to clear when the competition is 60 Hz only models and 120 Hz models with bad ghosting issues.

I hope in the future we get more options in this category. I would also love to see the return of the 40" 16:9.

Which is a pretty low bar to clear when the competition is 60 Hz only models and 120 Hz models with bad ghosting issues.

I hope in the future we get more options in this category. I would also love to see the return of the 40" 16:9.

Yea but this is still the best of the 43"s that's been showing up in the last couple years and works well for most people. 43" is kinda a niche market but I actually complain about the 43QN90A not being a 120Hz panel to my friend at Samsung and he said that the TV group is still treating the smaller TVs like the 43" as a lower end TV rather than a highend monitor which kinda sucks.

Back