GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U 43 inch 4k 144 HDR1000 QLED monitor

Hi everyone, signed up here just now because this is by far the biggest and most active thread about this monitor that I can find. I'm assuming it's a symptom of it being a relatively niche size and price range but it's not been spoken about as much as I'd have hoped!

I've had mine for a month now and I enjoy using it in almost every way. I quickly noticed some weirdness surrounding text clarity though, and anyone could be forgiven for assuming it has something to do with the BGR layout and incorrect subpixel rendering. It's not that, unfortunately, and so far I've only found one or two other people that have noticed the issue. It involves pixels affecting those directly below them, it's most obvious when grey is on a full black or full white canvas but this is far from the only scenario where it happens if you know what to look for.

I made a quick and dirty test image to be viewed on the FV43U to prove the point - assuming the issue is universal, horizontal lines will be discoloured by those above them. The grey becomes lighter when below white and darker when below black. The text is small and aliased and is an extreme example but (at least for me) shows the issue up very well.

View attachment 379595

What's even more strange is the problem gets worse higher up the panel. Pull this image down to the bottom (center especially) and it goes away almost entirely. No amount of settings changes, port changes or device changes solve the issue. I tested it on my PS5, same thing. I'm also running the newest F04 beta firmware, that didn't change it.

Another glaring visual error is demonstrated by viewing the clock and phase test pattern at lagom.nl here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/clock_phase.php

If you view this in a window that is 50% horizontal width (or any size other than full, honestly), the test pattern ghosts across the rest of the screen. It's not one that comes up much in every day use but even scrolling up and down this thread on half the screen makes lines ghost across the other half, most obvious if using a dark theme in something.

I have reported all this to Gigabyte through their eSupport page but I'm still waiting for a further response past the boilerplate "Try a different port" reply.

If anyone else who owns this screen can prove that I'm not just going insane (or that I've got a dud) I'd really like to know. I've only ever found one or two others that have seen this prblem on the FV43U, one suggestion was that it could be a T-CON board firmware problem. I have no idea myself but I'm hoping it CAN be fixed in software but it feels like a panel issue.

Assuming it's universal, maybe more people getting on Gigabyte's back about this would help!
I signed up to thank you for producing these test images and highlighting this problem. I noticed these text rending issues myself in Windows but couldn't understand why some text looked worse than others until I came across your post about the vertical position. This seems insane, but you're completely correct (somehow).

I'll be returning my FV43U, since this effect actively gives me a headache trying to read the blurry text and as this was my primary display, that's just unacceptable. Thanks again :)

I'm an OLED fan but also have seen enough evidence to believe what Wix33 is saying is likely correct. The uneven burn in of different sub-pixels in OLED is why they are different sizes to begin with, to accommodate for the degrading output over time. When shrinking this process, you still have the same issue. So now you have a microscopic green sub-pixel that's difficult to make on the TV panel sized process.. Otherwise, just like with laser diodes, you then have to account for running a larger pixel at lower output and suffering poor linearity response, let alone varying responses at threshold between neighboring pixels.

So it looks like I'll have to settle for the 48". I have the desk space and am not against a larger screen if I want to use it elsewhere and change in future again. My U2711 has just turned 10 years old today and paid for itself many times over. Even an OLED for that long costs $150 a year, small price to pay. You spend more on petrol in a month usually..

I'm an OLED fan but also have seen enough evidence to believe what Wix33 is saying is likely correct. The uneven burn in of different sub-pixels in OLED is why they are different sizes to begin with, to accommodate for the degrading output over time. When shrinking this process, you still have the same issue. So now you have a microscopic green sub-pixel that's difficult to make on the TV panel sized process.. Otherwise, just like with laser diodes, you then have to account for running a larger pixel at lower output and suffering poor linearity response, let alone varying responses at threshold between neighboring pixels.

So it looks like I'll have to settle for the 48". I have the desk space and am not against a larger screen if I want to use it elsewhere and change in future again. My U2711 has just turned 10 years old today and paid for itself many times over. Even an OLED for that long costs $150 a year, small price to pay. You spend more on petrol in a month usually..

Have you actually used one for an extended period? I had a 77" CX for a couple months before I got rid of it. A lot of ppl think I'm all about peak brightness for a HDR display but I can actually live with a ~800 cd/m2 OLED if the drop in brightness is not so bad when it gets beyond a 10% bright area. For anyone who can live without VRR until a future update. The Sony X85J 43" is also a very good/cheap choice. Sure, it only peaks at ~500 cd/m2 but the good thing is how it can sustained that ~500 cd/m2 from a 2% to a 100% bright window vs the under 150 cd/m2 of an OLED when it gets to 100%. It has no local dimming but a native contrast ratio of over 6000:1 is nothing to laugh at either and it cost under $700.

Last edited:
X85J is globally lit which is gross. Doesn't matter if it does 5000nits, without local dimming it's worthless. Secondly it suffers from blur/soft image like last years X900H @ 120hz.

The only legitimate 43 inch option this year seems to be this Gigabyte.

X85J is globally lit which is gross. Doesn't matter if it does 5000nits, without local dimming it's worthless. Secondly it suffers from blur/soft image like last years X900H @ 120hz.

Not everyone see every fault like you do, The X85J looks pretty good when I saw it at Costco and in a room with average amount of ambient light looks perfectly fine. According to rtings, the Black doesn't look too bad in a darker environment either. Global backlight can be better than edge lit sometimes and you can't really expect good local dimming on a TV that cost under $700 (even the more expensive X90J only have 24 zones). The problem is more that rting never confirmed if Sony went with an IPS panel for the 43" as that would mean a big drop in contrast ratio and black that's more like dark dark grey.

Last edited:
Hi guys, first of all big hello from Brazil, so first time posting on the forums, I found this thread by searching about this specific monitor, read it in full and found it very helpfull wether deciding to buy it or not, keep in mind that here in Brazil electronics are extremely pricy, this monitor for exemple costs around 1800/2000, which is actually a bit more expensive than the 48' C1, which I did buy last month but ended up returning it a few days later since the brightness of it didnt suit my needs, I only play XSX and more specific FIFA and MLB on SDR as I dont like HDR for sports games (Im only a sports games player and considering my game room is quite bright, the average brightness level of the picture is VERY important to me and for that reason the C1 wasnt my cup of tea.)

So looking for the best HDMI 2.1 options I had under 50inches (I do have a 55 q80t but thats too big for my gaming room) the FV43U popped up, even at that crazy price I ended up pulling the trigger since gaming is my main hobby and I felt like if this was a product that ticks all the boxes for me it would be worth it as its something that will last for a good amount of time.

Yesterday my FV43U arrived and I have a few things to share, sorry for the big post.

All my views are based that im coming from a 27inch IPS 4k@60hz LG 27uk650 monitor, which is not a proper gaming monitor, but in these last few months trying to make a substancial upgrade I ended up testing quite a few monitors (Aorus FI27Q, Dell S2120DGF, LG 48 C1, Gigabyte M27Q) ended up returning all of them since none felt like a big jump from my LG uk650, well except the OLED C1 offcourse but as I said before I had another major issue with it (ABL and the sustained brightness on sports games)

So yesterday I tested the FV with my Xbox Series X on 60 FPS games at 120hz (Fifa, MLB and NBA) and heres my thoughts:

Motion: I was REALLY surprised about it, I was very skeptical about this because of it been a VA panel and I had very bad experiences with VA in the past but I can confirm the FV43U has top notch motion, saw minimal ghosting on balanced OD, when I say minimal I mean really good SS IPS panel level results (keep in mind Im only speaking about 60fps games on XSX, didnt test any 120 or 144fps competitive FPS PC games). Also my main game is FIFA and FIFA is basically an UFO test all the time since 90% of the time u are looking at players running on a green background back and forth, with that in mind I can confirm this monitor has great motion, from all the monitors I tested its only behind the LG C1 which imo is incredible for a VA panel. So a little downside is that although light transitions are incredible good It does have a little bit of black smearing, I could notice the head of my dark hair players distorting a little bit on very fast camera movements, but really that didnt bother me a lot since the overall motion on this thing is top notch.

Picture: First of all lets put this clear, this monitor is a light cannon coming from a 350 nits monitor, it gets very very bright and its beautiful when u have those great whites highlights on the screen, the blacks are great too, off course not OLED level but coming from IPS it looks really good, I feel the overall balance between bright and dark in this monitor is better than OLED for me since u cant get very bright on a OLED (speaking of average picture brightness asI know Oled has good highlight brightness). I feel the overall picture does have some added depth when comparing to IPS panels. The down side to me are the colors, although theres a great volume of color, much better than the regular VA panels theres still some sort of distortion on the colors compared to IPS, specially the greens, theres something wrong with it that im still trying to fix (messing with hue and saturation didnt work) and this might be something that puts me off this monitor, im only keeping it if its 100% perfect for my like or very close to it because of its steep price tag in Brazil.

Input lag / responsiveness: This is another area where I love this thing, only using the C1 on game mode I felt this level of responsiveness, I dont know whats the input lag of this ting but connected to the XSX with 120hz this thing feels incredible snappy, so smooth, it feels great to play.

Angles: Now this is indeed an issue, this monitor was made to be viewed only in the center, theres a lot of color and contrast distortion on angles, even viewing from the center it bothers me a bit when u look at the edges of the monitor and notice that slight brightness shift, something that doenst happen on IPS and OLED and it still bothers me a bit, but i think i can get used to it if i manage to fix the colors....

Overall: Im liking this monitor so far, still undecided if im keeping it because of the price tag, if i bought this thing for 1000 dollars like the US retail price I would DEFFINATLY keep it, but having payed almost 2000 Im will still try to fix these minor things that are bothering me and If its not possible I will return it.

Positive:
+Motion (minimal ghosting with very little dark smearing)
+brightness (u dont evan need HDR to have that wow factor on the picture)
+Input lag (very very smooth)

Cons:
-Viewing Angles (even viewing from the center u can see distorced lighting/colors on the edges)
-Colors (my main issue atm, specially the Greens, still trying to fix it, it seems its way over saturate but lowering green saturation doesnt fix it, just makes it darker)

Ps: sorry about my spelling as english is not my main language.

Yeah for me it's also the best option (compromise) so far maybe until 42" OLED will be released someday.
The only downside for me about FV43U is the BGR layout which isn't as sharp as RGB outside Windows with properly set up clear type.
The problem is only visible in games with many places of small text like EVE Online - fonts there aren't as sharp as they should be.

Ps. I still don't understand WHY manufacturers produce BGR panels. Are they cheaper?? Doesn't make sense to me ...

My guess is the BGR is a legacy thing from VA panel production in the industry (possibly also tied to patents?) and having all the hardware driver logic for scaling / smoothing tied to that sub-pixel structure. They probably don’t want to redevelop it for monitors and just reuse what they have for TVs - so very much tied to cost. Just a guess.

BGR vs. RGB in terms of why it's done in manufacturing makes no sense to me and I've never found a valid explanation. One is literally the other but upside down.

I have quite an issue here.
I was on F4 beta and updated to recently released F4.

The update finished successfully and the monitor self restarted showing the Aorus logo.
But after that it was stuck on 640X480 resolution and was identified as Nvidia digital display.

I disconnected the power cord for about 10 minutes but that did not helped.
Same uninstalling drivers with DDU and reinstalling them.
Plugging - unplugging DP cable with no result.
Switching to my secondary monitor or disconnecting it also with no luck.
Reseting monitors settings.
Re flashing the firmware changed nothing.

The only way I was able to achieve 3840X2160 is with an HDMI cable.

Display port is stuck at 640X480 and monitor is not recognized by none of the 3 display ports of my 1080 ti.

I am about to RMA the monitor.

Any ideas before I start the return procedure?

Last edited:

The update finished successfully and the monitor self restarted showing the Aorus logo.
But after that it was stuck on 640X480 resolution and was identified as Nvidia digital display.

Display port is stuck at 640X480 and monitor is not recognized by none of the 3 display ports of my 1080 ti.

DO you still have a copy of the F4 beta? Can you try to install that again?

I mean re-flashing with same firmware(F04).
Not the beta.

Unfortunately no other device with a display port in the house.
Also F4 beta is not available anymore on Gigabyte website.
If somebody has a copy and can upload it I will be glad.

It seems more like a windows problem.
It happened after the firmware update but the monitor is on 3840X2160 during post bios screen and when entering windows it suddenly switch to 640X480.

I tried unplugging all cables and leaving it for around 30 minutes but the issue persists.
And imagine I had zero issues and zero expectations from new firmware as it is most probably same with the beta.
What a pitty.

edit: borrowed a netbook with DP port from a neighbor.
still 640X480 and windows 10 does not detect it as well.
My installation detects the monitor as 'nvidia digital display' while on the netbook was reported as 'no monitor'

Last edited:
Flashing to F4 beta almost did it.

Now I can go up to 3840X2160 but monitor still not recognized as Aorus FV43U.
Now it's reported as: RTK UHD(???)
I also can't go above 60Hz and HDR is not working:(
OSD kick is giving me a message: 'can't find device'

when I switch to HDMI nvidia drivers detect the monitor properly.
HDR is also working.
Same for OSD kick.
Still can't go above 60Hz but I guess this is a limitation of my gpu's hdmi 2.0 port

Last edited:
Flashing to F4 beta almost did it.

Now I can go up to 3840X2160 but monitor still not recognized as Aorus FV43U.
Now it's reported as: RTK UHD(???)
I also can't go above 60Hz and HDR is not working:(
OSD kick is giving me a message: 'can't find device'

when I switch to HDMI nvidia drivers detect the monitor properly.
HDR is also working.
Same for OSD kick.
Still can't go above 60Hz but I guess this is a limitation of my gpu's hdmi 2.0 port

Should not happen but I'm beginning to suspect the DP port on your card. Do you have an older card with DP out or a Laptop with DP output and try that out and see?

This happened to one of the guys on the FO48U thread. Seems like sometimes flashing can cause the EDID to get corrupted. I think he found that setting a custom EDID allowed it to work again.

Presumably Gigabyte has a means to flash the EDID on these monitors, maybe their customer service can help you out?

This happened to one of the guys on the FO48U thread. Seems like sometimes flashing can cause the EDID to get corrupted. I think he found that setting a custom EDID allowed it to work again.

Presumably Gigabyte has a means to flash the EDID on these monitors, maybe their customer service can help you out?
EDID was one of my first thoughts

but a corrupted EDID would have not affected HDMI connection as well?

Last edited:
Issue finally fixed!

I am adding the post TerraPhantm mentioned just for reference.

My problem was exactly the same and as you can see what worked in FO48U case was a simple re-flashing of the firmware without any other monitor/TV connected to the gpu.

I had flashed the firmware 5-6 times before reading this post.
And I re-flashed many times after reading the post.
From F04 beta to F04 back and forth.
But as I flashed the firmware more than 10+ times,
used every single usb port of my motherboard,
every hdmi port of my monitor&gpu,
different cables,
different laptops,
2nd screen connected,
2nd screen disconnected
I am not sure I can recall what had exactly fixed it.

My best bet would be that I followed the below sequence in the attempt that finally nailed it:

1. disconnect any other monitor/tv
2. connect Aorus via hdmi using hdmi 1 port of the monitor
3. reset monitor settings to factory defaults
4. flash the firmware
5. shut down the pc
6. disconnect power cord for 5 minutes
7. connect back everything this time using the display port

Many thanks for all your replies:)

Last edited:
I signed up to thank you for producing these test images and highlighting this problem. I noticed these text rending issues myself in Windows but couldn't understand why some text looked worse than others until I came across your post about the vertical position. This seems insane, but you're completely correct (somehow).

I'll be returning my FV43U, since this effect actively gives me a headache trying to read the blurry text and as this was my primary display, that's just unacceptable. Thanks again :)
I can't seem to replicate this but I'm wondering if it's that I don't fully understand what I'm looking for?? The text looks fine regardless of position and the linked grid image test looks "fine". I have pretty sensitive eyes so perhaps I'm missing something??

Update: So in the test image that Senn provided (vertical and horizontal lines + text on top), what we'd be looking for is the horizontal lines not appearing equal in size, but rather alternating dark + light? I do see that and it seems odd. The vertical lines don't seem to have it.

Last edited:
Update: So in the test image that @Senn provided (vertical and horizontal lines + text on top), what we'd be looking for is the horizontal lines not appearing equal in size, but rather alternating dark + light? I do see that and it seems odd. The vertical lines don't seem to have it.
A technical explanation is that every pixel on the panel affects the brightness level of the pixel below it. This is a difficult thing to see and even harder to explain, but in the context of the test image, all the grey lines and text (intentionally small and not smoothed) are the same shade. The white and black backgrounds will affect the brightness of any pixel directly below them and the test image demonstrates that by showing the horizontal lines at a different shade to the vertical ones. If you look close enough, you'll see the very top pixel of the vertical lines is also affected, but the rest are what they should be. The text section is a demonstration of how it can mess with mixed horizontal and vertical content.

The strangest aspect of the whole flaw is it's worse at the top and barely there at all towards the bottom.

The best thing to do is view the image on a panel without this flaw and directly compare.

Update on F04 - someone in the FO48U thread mentioned they could set to 24Hz with the latest firmware. I can now also do this on the FV43U at 1080p and 4k (not allowed at 1440p). Not of much use to me but maybe someone can get something from it. That lack of 24Hz that a few reviewers mentioned is no longer a limitation I suppose.

Movies are usually shot at 24p. Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray movie disc are usually encoded at 24P. Some streaming service will also allow you to stream movies at their native 24p so it's useful but not sure how many people will use this as their primary media viewing device. Does help in my case as I do have a 4K Blu-ray player connected.

Yeah certainly useful for those wanting to hook up a 24Hz output device to double it up for TV and movie watching. I don't watch things on it as it's purely a work and PC gaming slave for now but if I felt like it I'd just watch a 24 fps movie at 120Hz or 144Hz via the PC.

Still on the fence about replacing it with a 50" QN90A (or the QN94A here in the UK). Reports on its specs seem to be inconsistent, usual concerns about wasting money and such.

Would keep the FV for making music on.

Yeah certainly useful for those wanting to hook up a 24Hz output device to double it up for TV and movie watching. I don't watch things on it as it's purely a work and PC gaming slave for now but if I felt like it I'd just watch a 24 fps movie at 120Hz or 144Hz via the PC.

Still on the fence about replacing it with a 50" QN90A (or the QN94A here in the UK). Reports on its specs seem to be inconsistent, usual concerns about wasting money and such.

Would keep the FV for making music on.

Well, at this point in time. With CES a bit over 3 months away. I would at least wait and see what Samsung will put out next spring before deciding.

I had considered that too. Somewhat concerned that this is their last lot of LCDs and they'll go all in on these QD-OLEDs they keep talking about. Fantastic TVs no doubt but I still don't want to buy one for desktop PC usage.

I had considered that too. Somewhat concerned that this is their last lot of LCDs and they'll go all in on these QD-OLEDs they keep talking about. Fantastic TVs no doubt but I still don't want to buy one for desktop PC usage.

I seriously doubt it as Neo LED (mini LED) was new this year. They'll probably stay with this till micro LED becomes affordable.

I'm probably a bit older than most of you guys. My PC days starts with 9" Monochrome monitor and I still remember getting a PC with a 16 colors card is such a big deal. Since then I've probably used most of the high end monitors of every generation and there's a couple things that I learned.

1) There's rarely any perfect tech. They all tends to have shortcoming of some sort and you just have to learn to live with it. I went 4K back in 2015 and never looked back. I needed the screen real estate for work and I prefer a single monitor over multiple screen so I got a 32" Acer B326HK for work (where I sat closer) and a Samsung 40" UHD TV for home office and there's a fair amount of difference between the 2. the Acer IPS have great text/viewing angle but the color sucks and I have a fair amount backlight bleed at the edge compare to the Samsung VA but the the VA viewing angle suck and have some banding issues but the color and black is much better. But after a few months. my eyes have adjusted and I don't really notice them much unless certain scenes make them jump out at you. Same thing but to a lessor extend happens when I got my Acer CG437K, Vizio M437G0 and the FV43U. The only thing I checked for was stuck bright pixel and dead cluster and then I just use them. I know all the little imperfections are there and I just ignored them long as it doesn't jump out at me. I'm happy enough with the FV43U that I will either buy another one for home use or swap the CG437K from home to office.

Before someone mention OLED. I'll tell you that I had a 77" CX for a couple months and I hated it since I live and work in a well lighted environment (like a typical office) and there's no way in hell I'll use a OLED in those environment.

2) for someone who went through everything monitor type since the dawn of the PC age. Anything under $2-3K is nothing. My 1st 20" CRT costed close to $3K and my 1st 20" Viewsonic LCD costed me $2000 with a professional discount and I dropped way more on the TV front with a $3K front project TV in the late 70s, $7K on rear projection 55" TV in the 80s, to $10K for a Kuro Plasma and a bunch of large format tubes in between. Also, at my age. The term you can't take it with you is beginning to mean something so if something new comes out next year (43" 4K@XXXHz with mini LED), I'll probably pick that up too.
But you can try.

Update on F04 - someone in the FO48U thread mentioned they could set to 24Hz with the latest firmware. I can now also do this on the FV43U at 1080p and 4k (not allowed at 1440p). Not of much use to me but maybe someone can get something from it. That lack of 24Hz that a few reviewers mentioned is no longer a limitation I suppose.
Curious, what video card do you have? On my FO48U, 24Hz is an option now, but when I try actually selecting it, the display goes blank. Using a 3090 on that system via DisplayPort. But interestingly when I hook up my mac, 24Hz actually works. So that makes me wonder if the nVidia drivers are doing something weird.

Possibly related issue, but since the firmware update I'm having trouble with VRR unless I raise the VRR range from 24 - 120 to 40 - 120 (which is what the range was in older firmwares. Curious if they changed the VRR limits on the FV43U and if so whether it still works properly.

Curious, what video card do you have?
A lowly 750 Ti, the EVGA with DP (the HDMI is only 1.4) so the max I can currently do is 4k 60Hz. I'm also on Linux if that changes anything.

Screenshot_20210916_105452.png

Tested 24Hz and it works as expected.

Yeah for me it's also the best option (compromise) so far maybe until 42" OLED will be released someday.
The only downside for me about FV43U is the BGR layout which isn't as sharp as RGB outside Windows with properly set up clear type.
The problem is only visible in games with many places of small text like EVE Online - fonts there aren't as sharp as they should be.

Ps. I still don't understand WHY manufacturers produce BGR panels. Are they cheaper?? Doesn't make sense to me ...

Depending on how bulky or uneven the bezels/housing is (and if so, how much that would bother you) - you could VESA mount a BGR screen upside down and flip the screen in the display settings. That said, I've also used screens in portrait mode without a problem so eh.

RRRRRRRRRRRRR
BBBBBBBBBBBBB
GGGGGGGGGGGG

:confused:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rtings LG CX
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled

pixels-large.jpg

With an RGBW pixel structure, the LG OLED55CXPUA uses four sub-pixels, but all four are never used at the same time. This image shows the red, white, and blue sub-pixels. You can see the green sub-pixel in our alternative pixel photo.

pixels-alt-large.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 43" samsung u6900 4k VA tvs are like this by default but they are flipped sideways in portrait in my setup and look fine.

pixels-large.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have to sit to where the 20/20 vision threshold starts at 60PPD or beyond on any screen or you will have more jumbo pixels and subpixels. People try to use different kinds of cleartype alternatives and more aggressive AA in games (with a performance hit) but it won't ever be as good as sitting at an appropriate distance. I suspect a lot of people aren't sitting far enough away which exacerbates text fringing and graphics/pixel aliasing.

For the 48" 4k CX, like I said the 60PPD ~ 20/20 vision threshold starts at 33.5" (and starts at 1.5' away for 27" 4k). If you sit ~48" away from a 48" 4k screen you get into the 20/15 range though and require very little AA. You can even get away w/o AA for the most part if you wanted to.

==========================================

48" 4k at 33" or less viewing distance:
59.3 ppd is below 20/20 vision; most everyone can see individual pixels. You likely need strong anti-aliasing to hide artifacts.
= jumbo pixels to your eyes, bad text fringing
-------------------------------
48" 4k at 33.5" viewing distance:
60 ppd is above the 20/20 vision threshold of 60 ppd, but below the average vision of ~20/15. You likely need moderate anti-aliasing.
= moderate aliasing that can be more or less compensated for with AA (usually at the cost of some frame rate loss) and sub-sampling on text
-----------------------------------
48" 4k at 47"+ viewing distance:
Anti-aliasing is only necessary in medium- and high-contrast areas.
----------------------------------
I typically sit 38" to 48" away. If I find I'm not looking at my HUD enough to my detriment in some games I'll kick back to near 48"
When you sit around the same distance away as the monitor's diagonal measurement you are making an equilateral triangle out of your viewing angle and the screen width. Any closer it's a squashed fat triangle (or pyramid) with a more extreme angle to view the corners which can affect how easily you can view your HUD elements.

Edit: Those 3 viewing distances in regard to a 43" 4k come out to:

-- Less than 30" viewing distance = below 20/20 vision; most everyone can see individual pixels. You likely need strong anti-aliasing to hide artifacts.

-- 30" + viewing distance = 60 ppd is above the 20/20 vision threshold of 60 ppd, but below the average vision of ~20/15. You likely need moderate anti-aliasing

-- 42"+ viewing distance = 80 ppd is moderate, slightly above the average visual acuity; few can see individual pixels. Anti-aliasing is only necessary in medium- and high-contrast areas.

Last edited:
Registered just to weigh in on the discussion about the pixel issues on this display Senn has been talking about.
It is SO annoying - I have spend way to long trying to fix it, the fact it is worse at the top screams its an issue with the electronics.

The best setting I have found so far is to set the black equaliser to 12 (between 11 and 12 there is a noticeable change) and sharpness to about 3 or 4 its not perfect but is less jarring. You will then need to go and calibrate all the other settings around this otherwise it will look washed out.

Still not sure I will return it as I dont want to go back to 60hz and from what I can see every one of these VA panels does the same thing.
I hate that everything is a compromise these days :(

Cam

Reactions: Senn
like this
It is SO annoying - I have spend way to long trying to fix it, the fact it is worse at the top screams its an issue with the electronics.
Came to the same conclusion. I reckon it's the board that sends the voltages to the panel. At a completely uneducated guess (because I don't fully understand how they work) I'd assume it's at the bottom of the panel physically and the issue gets worse as there's more distance between the board and the pixels it's working on. It's so odd to have it near-ideal at the bottom and a gradient of ever-worsening crap towards the top.

It's ridiculously annoying, I don't know how people who use it as their primary, especially when things are scaled to 100%, can live with it. I haven't found any setting that I'm satisfied with that hides it enough but also maintains picture quality in other aspects.

I'm about to replace this as my main screen but I'm keeping the monitor for other things as it's still wonderful for playing on the PS5. Too late to return it for a refund anyway, might as well get some use out of it.

Hi,
I have the FV43U and GTX 1080 MSI x8.

1. Issue, out of the box, it looks bad compared to my vp28UQG.
It has grey/gray colors, washed out colors, no sharpness at all. I can stand 2m away and it still doesn't look that much better.
With my vp28UQG monitor, I can be 1cm away from the screen and it still looks sharp also the blacks are way better on it, the blacks on FV43U don't look good.
I tested with sRGB picture mode, sRGB gambit mode. Always had 10 bit color mode on, full dynamic range color, RGB output etc.
I also of course tested the custom modes, the green mode etc. None of them really looked as good as this 250 eur TN monitor...
Yet I did a lot of tests and there's like no dirty screen effect, any weird artifacts? So idk.
Just checked, even with a bunch of 4k nature wallpapers, even the side view of TN looks better although I got told it's the worst with TN panels. So the side view looks better than the direct view with FV43U.

From what I've read, 1080 can only support 98hz 10 bit, RGB, full color? Yet all the custom resolutions that I make, 58hz, 62hz, 98hz, it disables the RGB output color format. Why does it do that?

I've got all firmware updates, latest win version, tested multiple DP cables etc.

So it would be nice if someone could help me fix these issues. I joined many different discord servers but got no help.

Last edited:
Is HDR activated on windows? This must be deactivated in desktop mode.

Hi,
I have the FV43U and GTX 1080 MSI x8.

1. Issue, out of the box, it looks bad compared to my vp28UQG.
It has grey/gray colors, washed out colors, no sharpness at all. I can stand 2m away and it still doesn't look that much better.
With my vp28UQG monitor, I can be 1cm away from the screen and it still looks sharp also the blacks are way better on it, the blacks on FV43U don't look good.
I tested with sRGB picture mode, sRGB gambit mode. Always had 10 bit color mode on, full dynamic range color, RGB output etc.
I also of course tested the custom modes, the green mode etc. None of them really looked as good as this 250 eur TN monitor...
Yet I did a lot of tests and there's like no dirty screen effect, any weird artifacts? So idk.
Just checked, even with a bunch of 4k nature wallpapers, even the side view of TN looks better although I got told it's the worst with TN panels. So the side view looks better than the direct view with FV43U.

From what I've read, 1080 can only support 98hz 10 bit, RGB, full color? Yet all the custom resolutions that I make, 58hz, 62hz, 98hz, it disables the RGB output color format. Why does it do that?

I've got all firmware updates, latest win version, tested multiple DP cables etc.

So it would be nice if someone could help me fix these issues. I joined many different discord servers but got no help.

Something is wrong here. Mine have really good black in and out of HDR mode but I use a 2080 and 3080. Have you tried just running 4k60 at 10bit RGB? Have you check to see if there's a firmware update for your 1080? But you should exchange you display first.

Last edited:
but he gets by usb-c 4k, 144Hz with 10 bit?
Can confirm that I am getting 4k 144Hz 10bit 4:4:4 with a 50CM thunderbolt 3 cable rated to 40gbps (I get that its just usbc and dp alt, with passive cables length matters) - I could not get this with a 1.2m cable, it only got 4k60.

Something is wrong here. Mine have really good black in and out of HDR mode but I use a 2080 and 3080. Have you tried just running 4k60 at 10bit RGB? Have you check to see if there's a firmware update for your 1080? But you should exchange you display first.
Hi,

Yes, latest firmware update, is able to run 10 bit RGB with 60hz but as soon as I change it to any HZ, any number, it disables such options and picks ycbcr. Also yeah the blacks looked just terrible with and without HDR. Just terrible, terrible. Like if I didn't mention before, my TN monitor looked WAY better from all sides, no matter the distance. I have to return it yes but they are refusing to pick it up and would take 1+ month before they can repair it and send me a new one. The uniformity looked bad as well. 20-30% right side of the screen looked very white, bright while the other side looked grey. I worked on it for hours and hours It just really looked like a 200 eur monitor where all the money went into making the monitor bigger and nothing else. Like out of the box already it looked terrible compared to my TN but idk.

Also did I mention it has a bug inside?
unknown.png

unknown.png

Back